• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Events aren't as good as in Melee...

itman1234

Smash Rookie
Ok, I used to love events. They were one thing in Melee that I loved doing, and I did them over and over again, feeling accomplished and satified when I beat my record. I thought they were all creatively put together, and they were fun, which is the bottom line...

Then comes Brawl's events.
I found these to be really, really boring!
Complaints
1. They just seem so randomly put together...like "Use the Landmaster to keep killing people"
2. There are 3 difficulties, instead of being, the difficulty being based on the number...most people just do it on easy, but even on hard, they aren't that hard...there's like no challenge anymore :(
3. WHAT A CRUMMY LAST EVENT!!!
I remember in Melee, they made the ultimate showdown, with Giga Bowser, Mewtwo, and Gannondorf. Now, its just like not even fun anymore!!!
4. Co-op sucks! These are so random, its not even funny. And the final event...so easy, even on easy! They die in like one hit!!!

I'm really not happy about the Brawl Events, and I think they could have done a better job, and worked on them a bit harder, instead of working on all the stupid extras (masterpieces, chronicle, etc...I mean, who likes these?)

-Note: I'm not a brawl hater...I just hate some things about Brawl, but I play it about twice a week like everyone else...

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Brawl events are fail. They were fail in general, they failed at not having enough and they failed at having a failure finale. Co op was better than the co op from Melee, cause there was no in Melee. Less of a fail there,

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Definitely. The events in Melee were all completely original scenarios with huge differences in the characters, missions, stages, etc.

Brawl? All of them are either 1 on 1, 1 on 3, or bull****.

The only one that was halfway awesome was the ROB one versus the giants. That was pure win, however.

I'm starting to wish that they left Giga Bowser as a boss...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Remember Event Match 50 from Melee? Sad that it didn't come back. In fact, if there were 5 more fighters, there might've been more Event Matches to fight.

Just A Gamer

Smash Cadet
The problem with melee 51 was that most players had to abandon their moral codes and be cheap to defeat it. :p

Remember, the Wii in general is aimed towards the more casual crowd rather than we who actually search for glitches. They were most likely wanting it to be possible via a real normal fight.

That aside, I agree, Melee's was much better.

CedricIzDead

Smash Journeyman
I agree, brawl's events just royally suck :(

I didn't have SSBM, but I've played some of the events, and they were FUN, to say the least. These ones were just about killing people really, and weren't that good.

I can always remember, lots of friends were round and we had a competition to see who could finish the Captain-Falcon's-Race-To-The-End-Of-The-Level one (obv, I can't remember the number). We sat up like all night having fun finishing the missions.

Now, they just don't work well.

Yours agreeingly,
CedricIzDead

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
The events in Brawl mostly just seem to be introductions to boring mechanics, more like a tutorial than events. They need more wit and references, in the concepts, names, and descriptions.
Plus they screwed up on the difficulty. All they do is raise AI level, rather than use it to change the functional aspect of the event. The only time they did otherwise (read: well) is in "Super Waterfall Climb," where the scroll speed increases.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
Ok, I used to love events. They were one thing in Melee that I loved doing, and I did them over and over again, feeling accomplished and satified when I beat my record. I thought they were all creatively put together, and they were fun, which is the bottom line...

Then comes Brawl's events.
I found these to be really, really boring!
Complaints
1. They just seem so randomly put together...like "Use the Landmaster to keep killing people"
2. There are 3 difficulties, instead of being, the difficulty being based on the number...most people just do it on easy, but even on hard, they aren't that hard...there's like no challenge anymore :(
3. WHAT A CRUMMY LAST EVENT!!!
I remember in Melee, they made the ultimate showdown, with Giga Bowser, Mewtwo, and Gannondorf. Now, its just like not even fun anymore!!!
4. Co-op sucks! These are so random, its not even funny. And the final event...so easy, even on easy! They die in like one hit!!!

I'm really not happy about the Brawl Events, and I think they could have done a better job, and worked on them a bit harder, instead of working on all the stupid extras (masterpieces, chronicle, etc...I mean, who likes these?)

-Note: I'm not a brawl hater...I just hate some things about Brawl, but I play it about twice a week like everyone else...

I agree. These events simply don't feel as challenging/epic/frustrating as they should. More n00b freindly I guess. On thing I do like about brawl's events is the co-op, that was a nice addition.

Although it took forever and was very frustrating, event 51 was the most epic event ever, and the first time I played on FD I was so excited and proud of myself for finally earning the stage. Then comes along Brawl and it is a starter stage. -10 epicness points :ohwell:

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
My main gripes
1. The Melee events were more creative
2. The Melee events presented more of a challenge
3. There were more events in Melee; I don't count co-op events, they suck
4. Event 51 is so much more epic than Event 41. 41 is a walk in the park for Pikachu. 51 actually requires an action plan.
5. If it was too hard on hard, I could just jack it down to normal, which felt like cheating (I later beat them on hard)

I'll admit, there were a few gems in there, but not nearly as much as Melee.

itman1234

Smash Rookie
I'm glad you all agree with me :)
Another thing about the events is the fact that they got rid of trophy tussles...I think that was what they were called.
They were so much fun, and had unique stages only in that event. The events were challenging, and gave you a trophy if you won...I miss those so much...

Best101

Smash Ace
I beat all 41 of Brawl's Event Matches on March 9th on hard (yes the first day I got the game). They were so easy. But what's there to complain. The Wii is the easiest major gaming system to hit the market yet. The easyness (if that's even a word lol) of these games is making me appreciate Sonic and the Secret Rings. It's a challenge getting 100% completion on that game.

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
Yes. the events were more creative adn more difficult, and although I never actually finished all the melee events (I was like, 8. then my disc broke.) they were much better done than in brawl.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Seriously, it's like two different people developed the games. Melee had so much creativity put into the events. Most of Brawl's events could probably be replicated in a normal match.

Melee's events: 9/10
Comments: Has everything but co-op.
Brawl's events: 1/10
Comments: You can use a name in the event.

TengenToppaDrill

Smash Apprentice
Your mom's house... Calgary Alberta, Canada, Earth
I beat all 41 of Brawl's Event Matches on March 9th on hard (yes the first day I got the game). They were so easy. But what's there to complain. The Wii is the easiest major gaming system to hit the market yet. The easyness (if that's even a word lol) of these games is making me appreciate Sonic and the Secret Rings. It's a challenge getting 100% completion on that game.
Hey Einstein, there are still co-op events... Besides, when I got Melee I completed almost everything in the span of four days.

-Phoenix-

Smash Cadet
Yeah the events stink in brawl I miss some of the ones like pokemon battle and Gargantuans. These event seem less imaginative.

Amide

Smash Lord
No reason to beat them, and so unoriginal. I mean one of the events was named "Monkeys unite," I mean come on, just a little originality would be nice.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Versus mode should have more comprehensive options, to the extent of a "Create an Event" mode, complete with saving, naming, and a WiiConnect24 "Event of the Day."

Charizard92

Smash Champion
To be fair, I don't really like event matches, but I really don't see the difference (except that I could actually beat the ones in brawl, I sucked more in Melee so that could be another factor) and the only reason I completed some of them was for the rewards (stages) and the reason I completed some others on hard were for some bragging rights. Although I do feel that I could have made some on my own.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Brawl's events were likable at best. In Melee they were so creative. Yoshi's Egg, KOing both Nanas...Now in Brawl all you do is KO mostly. The Hanenbow event was kind of fun, aside from the part I hate that stage. But Event 41 was easy, except on hard where I can't seem to win. Mario is larger than the third-party members, everyone knows what that means. I really exected a lot more, there were so many thins to work with.

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
I only wish there had been one even as hard as the one from Melee where you kill the Pichu's while the Pikachu guarded them. None of the Brawl events made me flinch.

Karma*~

Smash Cadet
Whilst I agree that Melee's events were better (I dislike the new all-star style, etc.), I also notice people complaining about the difficulty of the events: Was I the only person who had problems with the Co-op Yoshi/Rainbow Cruise one? (I did all events on hard) That one drove me insane. So did the R.O.B one (though to a lesser extent)

Vlade

Social Outcast
I have to agree that the brawl events didn't have much attention paid towards to, probably because of the many extras this game offers. They're too easy and I was surprisingly bored. I wasn't particularly excited when I unlocked more events, unlike melee.

ChaoticSamus

Smash Apprentice
I agree comepletely with what everyone here says. The Brawl events lacked every sort of fun possible. When I first unlocked event 41 and event 21 Co-Op I was expecting a battle to be reckoned with just like I had in Melee. At first looking at it I thought, "Well, this looks a bit complicated." I played the match and beat it with Jigglypuff....WTF!!!! And me and my bro were doing the co-op final match. That event wasnt so bad...but it could have been better. I would have loved to see event 41 be....Giga Bowser, a lvl 10 Ganondorf, and a lvl 10 DDD or Snake or Lucario.

xXZeroXx

Smash Cadet
I won't defend SSBB events (I haven't played them and what I've seen so far doesn't like me so..) But I have to say that Melee events, excepting 50 and 51 were all play-one-time for me, so I won't miss them at all.

eeveebreeder

Smash Rookie
i personally have played both games and I actually think brawl 1s are better. In brawl its not as direct and there are multiple ways of beating them. For example in event 41 u can actually fight them instead of using cheap tactics like in event match 51

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
The problem with melee 51 was that most players had to abandon their moral codes and be cheap to defeat it. :p

Remember, the Wii in general is aimed towards the more casual crowd rather than we who actually search for glitches. They were most likely wanting it to be possible via a real normal fight.
Don't forget about the new ability to choose difficulties.

Brawl lets players choose from Easy, Normal, and Hard mode. In Melee, instead of the ability to choose the difficulty, it went from easiest to hardest throughout the events automatically. With the new choice added, anybody could have beaten it.

So yes. I would have loved to have Melee's 51st in Brawl. I mean, look at Brawl's 41st event. Giant Mario, Snake, and Sonic. FAIL AT ORIGINALITY.

Yeah, I completely agree. Brawl's events suck.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
i personally have played both games and I actually think brawl 1s are better. In brawl its not as direct and there are multiple ways of beating them. For example in event 41 u can actually fight them instead of using cheap tactics like in event match 51
No offense, but that's a pretty n00by way of looking at it. Instead of challenging you to find that perfect strategy for beating it, you can beat it however you want without having to give a crap. Yes, very entertaining. :ohwell:

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
I do admit, with a few exceptions, the events were a bit of a let down.

Remember that one event from Melee where Captain Falcon runs the F-Zero Grand Prix in fast mode?

I was hoping they'd do something like that for Sonic.

Top Bottom