• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event Preview: PAX Arena Melee feat. Mango, Hungrybox, Mew2King, Axe, Westballz, Shroomed, and more!

PAX Arena is this weekend at PAX South. The sequel to 2015's Smash @ PAX, PAX Arena will bring even more hype with even more top players. Here are the narratives and details heading into Melee at PAX Arena.

The Kid, The Box, and The King

Genesis 3 was an interesting start to 2016 for Melee's Five Gods. Out of the five, Mango, Hungrybox, and Mew2King will be eyeing first place at PAX Arena.

After a somewhat disappointing 2015, Mango managed to bounce back at Genesis 3 with his best performance in recent memory. Although he lost to Axe 3-1 in the Winner's Bracket, he managed to make another one of his legendary Losers runs. After convincingly beating Plup to make top 8, Mango brought back his fast and aggressive Fox in favor of his Falco. He led many to believe prior to Genesis that he may go solo Falco, but his Fox ended up dismantling PPMD, Axe, and Nintendude. He made it to Grand Finals after a very close set with Hungrybox. Mango's biggest challenge at PAX Arena will be Hungrybox, who nearly defeated a "peak Mango" at Genesis 3. If Mango can replicate his play from Genesis, a win at PAX Arena may be likely.

Photo by Rob Paul (@tempusrob)

Steady as always is Hungrybox, whose consistency will help at PAX Arena. At Genesis 3, the Jigglypuff main had a solid run through Winners before losing to Armada. In Loser’s Finals, he had to face his long-time rival Mango, a matchup that was traditionally in Mango’s favor before 2015. Although Mango did end up winning, Hungrybox nearly managed to beat a “peak Mango” – something that would have been unlikely in years prior. If Hungrybox can get past Mango, PAX Arena may be his tournament.

Photo by Thomas Tischio (@TischPhotos)

Mew2King will be a wild card coming into PAX Arena. 2015’s Smash @ PAX saw “The Return of the King” – as the Melee veteran beat Leffen 6-0 to win the tournament. However, with Mew2King’s disappointing result at Genesis 3 and his waning interest in Melee, the chance of another return may be unlikely. Additionally, he will have to get past Hungrybox and Mango at PAX Arena, two players who can give Mew2King trouble on a bad day. A fresh positive mindset and solid play is what Mew2King will need to win PAX Arena.

Rising Stars and Old Faces

Hot off his Genesis 3 performance is Axe, looking to defend the Southwest at PAX Arena. Genesis was his best tournament in a while, as he managed to beat Mango’s Falco and place 4th overall. Axe will have to face many challenges to replicate his success at PAX. Mango, Hungrybox, and Mew2King are all players that have given Axe trouble in the past, and players such as Westballz, Shroomed, and SFAT have proven to be close competitors to Axe in the past.

Looking to bounce back from his Genesis 3 performance is Westballz. He ended up placing 17th at Genesis, losing to Nintendude and PewPewU. Last weekend, he managed to redeem himself by winning Frosty Faustings VIII and Super Smash Sundays over the likes of Lucky, S2J, MacD, and Duck. If Westballz can reach his high peaks, PAX Arena could be the tournament that will kick off another great year for the red Falco.

Two of NorCal’s finest will be bringing their all to PAX Arena – Shroomed and SFAT. Shroomed was a model of consistency in 2015, placing top 8 at nearly every big tournament he attended. Genesis 3 proved to be another outlier for Shroomed, as he lost to Nintendude and Plup for 17th place. However, with solid records against Axe, Westballz, Lucky, and SFAT, another top 8 may be likely for Shroomed at PAX Arena. Meanwhile, SFAT will be looking to repeat his performance from Genesis 3, arguably his best tournament ever. He convincingly beat Mew2King in the Winner’s Bracket, and after being sent to Losers by PPMD, he eliminated his good friend PPU to make top 8. He capped off the tournament by winning a close set over Ice, only to be eliminated by Axe for 5th place. If SFAT can duplicate his play from Genesis 3, he will be able to make it far at PAX Arena and give players such as Axe, Westballz, Shroomed, Lucky, and S2J a challenge.

Norwalk will be coming in full force at PAX Arena with Lucky and S2J in attendance in addition to Mango. Lucky was generally consistent in 2015, having some high peaks. After losing a close set with PPMD at Genesis 3, he went on to lose to Wizzrobe, ending up at 17th. With his flashy and aggressive play, Lucky can give the best a run for their money at his peak, and it will be his turn to show that at PAX Arena. Also known for his flashy and aggressive play is S2J, looking to show the improvements he has been making in his play. He placed 13th at Genesis 3, even managing to take a game from Armada. S2J has recently developed a secondary Falco, which has even had close games with Westballz recently. With his tight gameplay and his new Falco, S2J may just be set for success at PAX Arena.

Wizzrobe has been very successful in Melee recently, and he will only be looking to continue that at PAX Arena. Although he lost to Alex19 early in the Winner's Bracket, he tore through the Loser's Bracket, beating Lucky and losing a very close set to Mew2King. If his Genesis 3 performance means anything, PAX Arena should be another stepping stone in Wizzrobe's road to the top.

Defending his current home state of Texas is Wobbles. At Forte 3 in December, he showed that he could still compete at the top, beating out Westballz and SFAT for first place. However, his Genesis 3 result was less than spectacular, failing to make top 64 after losing to Milkman and DJ Nintendo. With a home-court advantage and no top Peaches in bracket, Wobbles could make a deep run at PAX Arena.

Viewing Guide

With so many great players comes a great viewing experience. PAX Arena will be streamed this weekend (Jan 29th - Feb 1st) on http://www.twitch.tv/PAXArena by the VGBootCamp production team. Some notable commentators who will be on the mic include D1, The Crimson Blur, Webs, Wobbles, Tafokints, and more who will be revealed at the event. The full ruleset and other information can be found in the official Smashboards thread.

Get hyped by watching the trailer for PAX Arena!

Comments

I'm personally hoping that Axe, Hbox, or West will take PAX. I would say Mew2King as well, but, like the article said, he seems less interested and less motivated to take a tournament this year more than in the past.

I'm really pulling for either Mango or Hbox. Also, looking over the PAX thread, I'm hyped to see how Nakat and FOW preform.

i want m2k to take this but he has lost interest in melee lately... other than that id love to see wizzy or the kid take it.

I heard M2K was not entering melee from EE, but I feel like he just needs to clean up his neutral game and he could be #1 once again. He also should just main sheik and marth so he wont have complaints about his fox hurting his hands and he will also no longer lose to ic's because his peach isnt good enough to take sets off of top ic's imo.

I understand why M2K is lacking in Melee because he has been a champ for 14years.He has his good and bad but is a very skilled player.Plus he's mostly focusing on Sm4sh

mlelle is our roger federer, even during his bad time, even when his lost, he still have this glow in his play...

I heard M2K was not entering melee from EE, but I feel like he just needs to clean up his neutral game and he could be #1 once again. He also should just main sheik and marth so he wont have complaints about his fox hurting his hands and he will also no longer lose to ic's because his peach isnt good enough to take sets off of top ic's imo.
M2K gets down on himself pretty easy at times. He's been much better about it in the recent years than he used to be. He used to just feel defeated halfway through sets against Mang0 etc. If he continues to lose to players he used to beat it will only worsen his disinterest in the game. Instead of using it as positive motivation to improve and ward off the next wave of players it makes him more prone to just giving up and moving on.

TIme for Mang0 to kick off his first tourney win of the year. His performance at Genesis I think will speaks volumes of how he may do this year, and he may even contest Armada for top spot of MIOM (Tho tbh I think Armada is gonna tear through 2016 as well).

If not Mang0 most likely HBox as much as I hate Puff, he is amazing. Outside shots for Maybe even Axe or Wes winning their first major. Possibly WObbles if he turns up they way he did at Forte, but he really needs to prove himself now after he got Milkman'd.

Despite all I said, I want M2K to win...but I just don't see it. Jason just doesn't seem motivated anymore and it breaks my heart to hear some of the things he says. Maybe He can take it, but I just don't think his Mentality is right. He'll get back to it I'm sure, but I feel we are in for a rough patch :(

Last edited:
TIme for Mang0 to kick off his first tourney win of the year. His performance at Genesis I think will speaks volumes of how he may do this year, and he may even contest Armada for top spot of MIOM (Tho tbh I think Armada is gonna tear through 2016 as well).

If not Mang0 most likely HBox as much as I hate Puff, he is amazing. Outside shots for Maybe even Axe or Wes winning their first major. Possibly WObbles if he turns up they way he did at Forte, but he really needs to prove himself now after he got Milkman'd.

Despite all I said, I want M2K to win...but I just don't see it. Jason just doesn't seem motivated anymore and it breaks my heart to hear some of the things he says. Maybe He can take it, but I just don't think his Mentality is right. He'll get back to it I'm sure, but I feel we are in for a rough patch :(
Pax is a regional

Top Bottom