• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVB | Dath: "I think [Robin] is top 20 for sure, possibly even higher."

Shine 2016 was, without a doubt, one of the finest Smash-centric events we’ve seen this year. The tournament had high production values, ran incredibly smoothly and had some of the most recognizable names in the community as attendants. Players like Tyler “Marss” Martins, Gonzalo “ZeRo” Barrios and Eric “ESAM” Lew (just to name a few) promised to put on a show the likes of which are only seen at the highest quality majors.

But there was a name that stood out amongst the usual suspects in the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U bracket; an unlikely challenger who few people knew and even fewer expected to see break into Top 8. A man who would come into the tournament as an underdog, but come out as a hero to all mid-tier players: Austin “EVB | Dath” Brown, the Robin main from Florida.

First finding his footing back in Super Smash Bros. 64, Dath started out as many of us did when we were young -- timed matches with the family during the weekends, items on and set to high. “Smash 64 tournaments weren’t much of a thing at the time, and Super Smash Bros. Melee sort of slipped by me growing up. I had no idea what competitive Smash even was until I started playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl.”

An archived page for All is Brawl. May it rest in peace.
Dath would soon learn about “All is Brawl”, an online ladder for the eponymous game, and started getting into the game’s online community. Unfortunately, it wouldn’t last, and although Dath would go on to attend a few locals, a general lack of engagement with the game led to him retiring from the online scene just about a year after starting. It would take Smash 4’s release for him to decide he wanted to take the game seriously and actually start competing.

“Back when [the 3DS version] first came out, I would play Twitch viewer battles and join any online tournaments that popped up, but it wasn’t until the Wii U version came out that I went to a local tournament, where I met this player who was pretty big into the scene, Xaltis.”

Taylor “Xaltis” Rose would be the first person to introduce Dath to Versus Gaming Center, one of the main hubs for competitive Smash 4 in South Florida. Dath would become a regular there and, although he would describe his first few results as “underwhelming”, he slowly but surely rose through the ranks to become one of the most recognizable members in the community.

He’s notable for having upset Jason “ANTi” Bates at EVO 2016 and prides himself on his run at CEO 2016, during which he beat notable Japanese player Yuta “Nietono” Uejima for a 17th place finish. Add to this his run at Shine, which had him beating the likes of Marss, Wesley “6WX” Alexander, Larry “Lurr” Holland and even managing to give ESAM a hard time in loser’s finals, and it’s beyond clear that Dath’s not to be slept on.

Notsuchabadguy: Let’s talk Robin. Most players don’t think she’s capable of getting very far in tournament, and as such we don’t see her picked a lot. What drew you to her? How do you feel about the general perception the community has of her right now?

Dath: I was drawn to Robin ever since she was first announced. I’ve always been a pretty big Fire Emblem fan, and her playstyle seemed right up my alley. And I mean, she can throw fireballs and has this huge-*** magic sword -- that’s pretty cool.

I started playing her and she immediately clicked with me: Her moveset just feels so right in my hands, like I can adapt to any situation. I think the community heavily underrates her right now. ZeRo recently released a tier-list video where he ranks her at 28th, I think -- and I think even that’s selling her short by quite a bit. I think she’s top 20 for sure, possibly even higher.

N: What would you say is your biggest strength as a player? What sets you apart from the rest?

D: In my opinion, my biggest ability as a player is to adapt to any situation. I can start off by losing game one, but by game two I’ve already completely changed the way I play, and by game three there’s a good chance I can two-stock them.

N: You earned yourself a bit of a reputation as a “Sonic slayer” during Shine, having taken out both 6WX and SuperGirlKels. How do you feel about the Sonic vs. Robin matchup? Is it favorable for Robin, or are you just well-versed in it?

D: I think the matchup is either even or very slightly in Robin’s favor. Sonic has to get in to do damage, he doesn’t have a choice about that, and Robin’s great at keeping people out -- you know, she has a big magic sword and Sonic has like… little, tiny hedgehog limbs, so you can do the math there.

Projectiles also help. Arcthunder is one of the few tools in the game that can beat side-b Spindash: that gives you a tremendous advantage, and can make it very difficult for Sonic to fight Robin. It also helps that I frequently team with True Blue, a Sonic main, for doubles: as partners, we understand each other’s characters very well and often practice together, which I think has helped me understand the matchup.

N: What’s your number one goal right now?

D:I want to be a national threat -- no, an international threat -- no, a GLOBAL threat. I want people that see me in bracket to sweat bullets. ‘What am I supposed to do with this guy? I don’t know Robin! Even if I do know Robin, this guy’s scary!’ I want people to fear facing me in tournament. Every single one of them.

N: What are your plans for the future? Should we be looking out for you at any future tournaments?

D:Yeah, actually: I’m gonna be attending Big House 6, I’m confirmed for Genesis 4 and I’m not sure about Civil War, but there’s a good chance I’ll be there too. Other than that, I’ve been starting up my stream a lot more and I’m also thinking about starting up a YouTube channel, but that’s still in the works.

N: Anything you wanna say to your fans?

D: I just wanna say thank you to the people supporting me. Every single time I meet fans at tournaments or talk to them online, it’s such a huge boost to my motivation. As you can imagine, playing Robin can sometimes be pretty exhausting sometimes and when I’m feeling down because I placed poorly at a tournament or didn’t do well in a match, having a fan approach me just lifts my spirits right up.

We’d like to thank Dath for allowing us the time to do this interview. If you wish to keep up with him, be sure to check him out on Twitter @Dath_ly or, once again, follow his Twitch channel to see him play live.

Edited by A10theHero.

Last edited:
Eidolon

Comments

Dath was really impressive at Shine. I could certainly see Robin moving up on the tier list if he continues to get good results.

Last edited:
Well sure, but just because ONE person excels with him/her doesn't mean they are automatically higher on the Tier than they actually are. Until more Robin players/mains can keep a high placing in tourneys as he has then we can talk about being top 20 or higher. Not to swat his opinion aside as he's free to have it, I'm just saying the logic behind it is iffy.

She's not top 20, her mobility, bad grab and recovery are too big of flaws against top tiers who have mobility and frame data out the walls. Doesn't mean I don't very much admire Dath's work with Robin, especially at Shine. She's better than most people think, a good mid tier, and with good spacing I think any zoning character has potential to do well just because they can wall people out and prevent them from actually using their up close tools.

Last edited:
Well sure, but just because ONE person excels with him/her doesn't mean they are automatically higher on the Tier than they actually are. Until more Robin players/mains can keep a high placing in tourneys as he has then we can talk about being top 20 or higher. Not to swat his opinion aside as he's free to have it, I'm just saying the logic behind it is iffy.
I don't know man.I mean look at Larry and Dabuz.
While there are some notable foxes and Rosalinas,none of them has had placings as good as either Larry or Dabuz.Theres also Esam who has Pikachu but Pikachu is around top 20 or something.Not even top 10.

Hungrybox

jigglypuff

Saying Robin is top 20 material is one thing. Saying "Robin is top 20 for sure, possibly even higher" is another.

Top Bottom