• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evaluation/Help your G&W,Video Critique Thread,Updated (11-01-09))

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
im sorry T-T
i was going to get to em yesterday but got caught up in work.T-T

When i get home today i'll check em out,promise:o

look back at this post

edit:watching em now

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Alright man so basically from what i saw in those 2 vids,you don't know how to approach DK very well.:(. You were playing too careful in both matches in all your stocks. G&W can easily approach DK and he can only block and run away lol. When you're at early % i suggest being aggresive(but not reckless). Mix up your bair approaches and if he tries hiding under a platform, go for full hop bairs(but space it enough that you won't get grabbed and you can up and B out of it if u miss). If Dk starts spamming his own bairs, wait for him to bair,approach a bit,shield, and if he bairs again, run up to him and nair right away(so basically punish his bairs with your nairs). If he doesn't bair again, pressure his shield with a SH bair of your own. Once you're around 50-60% you can start being a bit more campy because you'll be in kill damage.

You need to bair alot more,it is our best approach vs DK because besides Ftilt,he can't do anything to prevent it. Of course don't be predictable with it but SH/FF bairs are the best way to get DK in the air. When you do get DK in the air,you have to know how to juggle him to take as much damage as possible. Don't chase him,just let DK come to you. His airdodge is incredibly easy to predict so once you see him airdodge,then you have so many choices(nair/nair into nair/nair into up and B/ or just up and B if he's too far).Once you hit him,he'll still be in the air,so try your best to rack up as much dmg as possible:p. If DK is ever above you,just up and B. If you miss just do a fast fall bair back on stage but if you hit him,you have him in the air so follow up:). Don't let DK approach you that easily
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffwuqUokiZk#t=0m50s <--- good example of a situation where you could have up B'd. Look out for opportunities like that

So to summarize it
alot Less
Fairs, you do it way too much it can be easily punished by his ftilt if you miss. Save it for when hes 120+. Don't rush kills

More
Bairs,alot more bairs
uair and up and B
punish his airdodges
patience. When DK is hanging on the ledge,don't rush after him,just wait a bit to see what he does.

Also another quick tip. If you're above DK and he's is waiting for you to land onstage, never ever dodge into him >.<
Fast fall bair so he won't chase you

NatP

Smash Ace
Lol every single person I faced at that tourney told me the same thing: "you're good but you need to use more bair". xD But personally I generally have a hard time knowing WHEN to incorporate bair, so I just play how I want to, lol. But yeah thanks for the tips. :)

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Lol every single person I faced at that tourney told me the same thing: "you're good but you need to use more bair". xD But personally I generally have a hard time knowing WHEN to incorporate bair, so I just play how I want to, lol. But yeah thanks for the tips. :)
Going off your first video, you should have baired most of the time 1.15-1.25. Bair is a good spacing move to keep the other character in the place you want. Fair is decent but bair is just better in general. Plus if im correct if you (just started playing gnw) bair has less lag if you hit the ground as you have more lag if you hit the ground with fair.

ThatsWhatSheSaid

Smash Apprentice
I finally got a vid of my game and watch that's both recent and I think shows me playing pretty well with him. Thought I'd post it here and get some feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IueH5GvSwzw&feature=related

Some background: This is game 2, this is pretty much my second time EVER fighting Wario, 7FO later beat lain in brackets at a tournament on Saturday so he's no random scrub...that's all I can think of.

I know I'm far from perfect. Comments would be much appreciated. Thanks =)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Less F-smash, more Up-smash. F-smash is only good against Wario if you powershield a ground move. Up-smash however can legitimately wall out his aerial approach.

Also more D-tilts.

ThatsWhatSheSaid

Smash Apprentice
Less F-smash, more Up-smash. F-smash is only good against Wario if you powershield a ground move. Up-smash however can legitimately wall out his aerial approach.

Also more D-tilts.
I'll remember the up smash advice. I'm actually surprised by my lack of d-tilt, I usually have an obsessive romance with that move.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
im pretty meh at this MU but nair/upb/upsmash are your best friends in this MU D:

1.you're going to be nairing alot for approaching and such
2.always be ready to up and B if he tries to approach you, most of wario's approaches are from above.
3.and upsmash to land kills ,for the same reason as 2=p

derkapalooza

Smash Journeyman
hey guys i got something a little different for you all to critique....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETjfR-OL-mo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPNtK6SMczo

i play the g&w while my friend sama plays as the wolf and pikachu. were gonna team this weekend for a tourney and im really excited for this team and hoping it will do well. the plan is depending on who we are playing hes going to switch between pikachu and wolf to help w/ the matchups. so what im asking is, what can I do to improve my g&w game and teamwork? what more should i be trying to do or what should i stop trying to do in team matches? when you watch the vids you can see that we have some team strategies going on. thanks for everyones help! im hoping for alot of good advice to help prove that g&w is one of thes best dubs partners!

Rajam

Smash Champion
I finally got a vid of my game and watch that's both recent and I think shows me playing pretty well with him. Thought I'd post it here and get some feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IueH5GvSwzw&feature=related

Some background: This is game 2, this is pretty much my second time EVER fighting Wario, 7FO later beat lain in brackets at a tournament on Saturday so he's no random scrub...that's all I can think of.

I know I'm far from perfect. Comments would be much appreciated. Thanks =)
After watching that end, I'm very tempted to say key is plain awful against grounded enemies. Most of the punishment G&W receives is due to landing a key against enemies waiting for it (I'm speaking in general terms, not about this video); it has bad startup lag and bad ending lag, and the reward is not as high as the risk. Usually when falling, nair, bair, jab and dtilt are safer, and just landing away and up+b'ing again is even better a lot of times. Also, use more Up+b, specially to avoid and escape combos (when they are in progress and when they are about to start). Trying to break combos with dair is a terrible idea, is just safer to escape with Up+b. Limit the use of dair only to enemies in the air.

Tetz

Smash Cadet
NNID
tetzyeah
do we have any grab release stuff on wario?
Yeah
Grab release Judgment seems like the best lol
Grab release fsmash works good
We also can fair after a grab realse or dair spike if you do it right and if you are close to the ledge

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Before watching these, this is my first time capping with my cap card, so the sound is horrible. I'd advise you to turn down your sound. I'll get this fixed for future videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzdOGMqtETQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dHl5IAHJBc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6lkdwv4edA

If you guys could evaluate my dubs GnW that would be awesome. This is suppose to be a serious friendly's match match with our friends. The R.O.B. and I usually always play dubz together. So we do have a decent chemistry.

Noraa

Smash Lord
Rajam i only had the time to peep the rob video, and it was weird that you never really followed up your nairs. When you did follow up it would be bacon, you can upb him after the nair or keep him in the air as long as you want. Also, fair isnt the best thing to do off the ledge, its to easly punished on shields, and shielding is what people do most when gw is on the ledge.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Rajam, I only bothered to look at your R.O.B. video since my best friend plays R.O.B. and we almost play every single day. Luckily the ROB you played didn't use dtilt and dsmash as much as my friend does. It's annoying but effective. If you ever see him with a gyro in hand, expect the glide toss fsmash. turtle is your best defense against this. Or just up B out of the way. If you choose to up B watch out for ROB's up air. ROBS Uair = lots of damage. if you ever see him charge forward smash in place. Jump towards him and turtle so only the tip of its head hits your opponent. 9 times out of 10 you will hit him. The 1 time he will hit you with his Fsmash since his Fsmash out ranges your turtle. Combo'ing your nairs together to an up B with another nair seems to work very well against ROB. Other than that, watch out when you plank. ROB will run off the stage and bair you into the stage if you aren't quick enough.

Rajam

Smash Champion
Thanks for the ROB tips; I know that ROB can even do more things like Gift said, so I need to improve. I'll post some DK and Mario matches later which I have problems too :(

Noraa

Smash Lord
Rajam, hit me up one day for wifi with my friends rob. I think you will get more gw experience with it, hit me up today if you could.

Rajam

Smash Champion
Problem is, I'm from South America, so the lag will be huge ._. If still want to play send me a PM, but I've played against a friend who is living in USA now and the connection is always red

Rajam

Smash Champion
Hey everyone.
I´a german GAW Main and yesterday I played against a pretty good Olimar, and recorded these Matches.
I never played the Matchup, so can you give me tipps how to play vs Olimar?

Tetz vs Green

Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZiTj9uvTOo
Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYVUtmIWfZc
Good games, I liked your spacing, and the Olimar seems very good. If anything, I'd say watch out your dair usage, because it failed most of the time. Also, the Olimar was jumping and tossing pikmins a lot; you can beat that with nair approaches, dtilt, and some random dash cancels to usmash. Don't shorthop fair; it seemed to work sometimes, but you were getting punished too by it. Finally, your DI wasn't at top; in the second match you were killed twice by Olimar bthrow which you should have DI'ed better. Mostly details, I think you're going the right way, good spacing and up+b usage. If anything, try to read and predict more

NoBio

Smash Apprentice
Unless your brawling your neighbor or have a super amazing awesome uber connection, there is always going to be lag online, that little delay when you press a button. Online lag sucks but it's the only way I can brawl other people.

I'll post some videos once I get infinite replay time.

~NoTrace

Tetz

Smash Cadet
NNID
tetzyeah
Good games, I liked your spacing, and the Olimar seems very good. If anything, I'd say watch out your dair usage, because it failed most of the time. Also, the Olimar was jumping and tossing pikmins a lot; you can beat that with nair approaches, dtilt, and some random dash cancels to usmash. Don't shorthop fair; it seemed to work sometimes, but you were getting punished too by it. Finally, your DI wasn't at top; in the second match you were killed twice by Olimar bthrow which you should have DI'ed better. Mostly details, I think you're going the right way, good spacing and up+b usage. If anything, try to read and predict more
Thank you, I will try this =)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
1:30, you should have Up-Bed early for a chance of at least landing on stage.

1:40, honestly it's important to expect MK to come back onstage with Tornado. It will really mess you up if you aren't ready for it. If you want to cover as many options as possible, U-airing usually is the best bet. Dash attack however can beat it on reaction. The next time he did Tornado, I do have to commend you for trying to F-smash him out of it, although it was mistimed. It's usually easier to D-smash it iirc since it's more disjointed (but doesn't reach as far since G&W doesn't lean forward on it), but Dash attack is the most consistent option.

If you're going to spotdodge in general, usually you should Jab or D-tilt or grab. There really isn't any other point to spotdodging with G&W especially in this matchup. At around 2:00 you got punished for trying to spotdodge -> D-smash. It really doesn't work except against terrible characters lol.

2:26 you got Up-B gimped again. Only in this situation you probably should have attempted to recover high. Next time he Tornadoed you DID D-smash him out of it. That was smart and what I would have recommended.

*skips the 2nd match partly because you won it, partly because I'm too lazy to think about the stuff that can happen on CP stages*

Don't just D-throw D-smash against MK. You have other options (and NEED to use them when he techs as well). I've been trying to get more G&Ws to iDA after D-throw. It's really good honestly, since it puts them in a position you can follow up off of pretty easily at low percents.

if MK is edgestalling, just D-air him. Don't slowfall it. That just occurred to me around like 16:45 I think.

Otherwise I dunno what else to say. MK's options for getting grabs are indeed stupid, and really all you can do about it is play footsies with D-tilt and Jab and your own grabs.

Noraa

Smash Lord
You dont uair that much....and you had some BADLY placed fairs lol.
There were some times when you could have dtilt his dash grabs/attacks.

Theres some other stuff but you see the time of this post and im dead tired, i will come back to this later =]

Sephirothdotcom

Smash Cadet
Hey guys i'll be going to APEX this August, and although im not expecting much, i was wondering if anyone had the time to look through a couple friendly's i just added to see where i could improve and a GnW Main, recently switching over from Lucario. Be as blunt as you need to, positive or negative feedback would help a bunch, thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Sephirothdotcom

Noraa

Smash Lord
I dont know what to say about your matches besides learn to take them nanerz and control the stage. Looked like you didnt know 1 thing about the mu.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
I just went to my second tourney this last Saturday and had some matches recorded. Much help is need as I did not do very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQdopJFpI8k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o9sUKKSpDM
check this post tomorrow

ima just give u a general response since it seems you still have alot to learn about these MU's:(. Don't let diddy approach you that easily,especially this one lol. All he did was throw a naner then dash attack. SH nair is great in this match up for approaching and catching nanerz if he throws them. Bair is good to but he can punish it easily if you space incorrectly so becareful. Also be more patient lol. The way you were playing the last 30 seconds of the video is the way you should be playing the entire match=l. Don't rush kills or opportunities,let it come to you.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
lol snakees really aggro here xD

i've had close sets with snakee so i think i have a basic idea of the ZSS MU=o

check back on this post tomorrow=p

Top Bottom