• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Etika: May 12, 1990 - June 19, 2019

Please be advised this article is over a serious and sensitive topic.

FC5AB585-117F-4A65-A236-D5BC98D2F9BF.jpeg

It is with heavy hearts that we report that popular YouTuber and Internet personality Etika, has passed away. Daniel Desmond Amofah, better known as Etika, was known for his Nintendo-related content including reviews on Nintendo products, his opinions and views of gaming and Nintendo, and his lively reaction videos.

Etika started posting YouTube videos in 2012 and amassed over 800,000 followers between his Youtube and Twitch.tv accounts. Some of his more popular content was his reaction videos to Nintendo Directs, mini-Directs, and E3 presentations. His last reaction video was to the most recent E3 presentation.

Despite his popularity, Etika was plagued by personal issues that caused controversy not only within the Smash community, but the public sphere as well. He recently experienced issues with law enforcement, and his YouTube and Twitter accounts were removed for various reasons. These instances are well documented on the greater internet, but the Smashboards Writing Team would rather focus on the life he led and the lives he touched.

There has been a massive outpouring of support, well-wishes, and reminiscing from fans since the news of his disappearance and subsequent passing. His videos and content inspired others to create their own, and his views offered a unique perspective on Nintendo. He hyped people up for Nintendo’s projects, and his love for the company was obvious.

Smashboards will miss Etika and was greatly saddened by the news of his passing. We send our condolences to his grieving family and to the greater online community.

Please note that personal self-harm and suicide is not a light subject, and we treat it very seriously. Please be respectful in your comments. If you or anyone you know is struggling with suicidal thoughts, we implore you to contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline confidentially on 1-800-273-TALK They will provide free and confidential support 24 hours a day. For those outside of the US, please visit the International Suicide Hotlines

If you feel negatively impacted by this news, please contact one of the staff members or make a post in Forum Support. Alternatively, please check out Grief Counseling, which can point you in the right direction if you are grieving over this loss or are struggling in any other capacity.

Last edited:
Venus of the Desert Bloom

Comments

Wow, it’s horrible to see someone as great as Etika pass away. I remember watching his reactions live during Smash 4’s period, even getting noticed by Sakurai himself. His reactions to all the Nintendo Directs for Smash were some of my favorite moments of him, especially the reveal of Smash Ultimate through the Inkling battle. Rest In Peace Etika, you may be gone, but your legacy will live on.

I've watched Etika for nearly a year now and it's so incredibly sad to see that this is how his hard path ended up, but truly I hope he finds the peace he wanted in the afterlife.

He got me into Sm4sh after I had decided to quit after Brawl, and I've enjoyed his (live-chat free) livestreams and videos, even after his accounts got removed. My deepest condolences to his family and friends, he will be greatly missed.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and fans. May he rest in peace.
I really don't have anything else to say other than this. Suicide is a pretty serious topic and it's not something to take lightly; everyone reading, please take care of your mental health.

It's really sad. Mental Health is a major issue.
It's been on my mind ever since I heard the news.

Rest in peace dude. Hope you're feeling at ease now, you will be missed.

I was wishing and hoping that he'd be able to get the help he needed, but he never did, and now, he never will. This is a sad day and he will never be forgotten. As his friends have said on Twitter, its a horrible shame that people, from fans to the hospitals they put him in, didn't take his mental health issues and signs seriously, had they done so, he may well be here today to react to whatever the 4th DLC character for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate ends up being or even just at his home, playing Smash or some other game with his friends.
Rest in Peace and in Power, Desmond, your legacy and the name you've made for yourself will never be forgotten by those whose hearts you have touched.
I hope that you have finally found the peace and happiness that eluded you in life.

Once in a while you’ll come across someone who is just so memorable. Someone you can instantly recognize. That was Etika to me. It’s really sad to hear about this, but I hope his legacy will live on within the community. My prayers go out to anyone effected.

It's mind boggling, just this time last year me and my friends were watching his reactions and his streams leading up to Smash Ultimate. We loved his reactions and commentary on everything Nintendo related.

A year later I would never think something like this would happen.
R.I.P. Etika, you were the king of the Joyconboyz.

My story of mine and Etika's relationship doesn't go far. It doesn't even sound preferable. It's not even hopeful.

I found Etika due to Smash For, as I'm sure most of us did, I kept up with him through the entirety of speculation. He was there the whole time. When I found him I was in one of the highest highs of my life. I had a long term girlfriend that I adored, highschool was going great, I was just having a really good time in my life. Around 2017 my life took a turn. Me and my girlfriend of three years split, my college wasn't going well, and my time around the web was limited and I didn't catch up with much of YouTube for a while. That's when I fell off from Etika. That's when his videos began to slow down. And I can only imagine that he and I were both going through tough times. And I didn't really get back into his videos when he returned.

And that's how I remember him. He was THE YouTuber I watched when my life was at an all time high. He was a YouTuber that I followed to have fun because I was having fun. And for that, he holds a very special place in my heart. Etika... Thank you. Rest easy, Ice Man.

Last edited:
I'll never forget first discovering Etika from his Mewtwo reaction video. His video encompassed everything I felt from the character reveal. Ever since, his content always put a smile on my face. He was such a genuine down to earth person I felt like I could relate to. He was the go-to whenever I was feeling down.

Mental health is a big deal. Seeing what Etika was going through was really heartbreaking. I too have had a history with mental health battling depression and feeling hopeless. I've gotten better as of late and I was wishing Etika would get similar treatment and results in his endeavors. I wanted to somehow reach out and say everything would be alright. But I knew he would need many more voices to guide him to get better.

I will always remember him as an inspirational YouTuber who always made things feel brighter. Etika, Desmond, we love you and we'll miss you dearly. Thank you for everything you have given to us.

This is a truly unfortunate moment and I hope the best for Etika and his family. Thank you, Etika, for all you've done for the gaming world. The internet won't be the same without you.

Rest in Peace man.
I'm not that good with the words, neither my English is top notch. But I want to give a goodbye to you, Etika.
I'm really sorry that you will never play the new Fire Emblem, the Animal Crossing, Pokémon SwSh, Metroid Prime 4 and specially the sequel of Breath of the Wild that you got so excited about. And never get the chance to play with Banjo-Kazooie in our beloved Smash. You really bring me joy since when I know about your channel on the Direct that they showed the Mii Fighters, ironically presented a last time by other one that we missed a lot, Iwata-san. Every Direct I looked for your reactions, and also liked a lot your JoJo's reaction as is a series that I love. Now, even with all luck, I will never have the opportunity to see your react to Kamen Rider Gaim or Build, two series of a franchise that I love and always, when I had a chance, I recommend to you. Your usual phrases, your voice and your to speak is engraved on my memories. I was really wanting with all my heart that the Hero was added to Smash, but even with the rash words you throw at him in your last react, the last react, as much it hurted, I didn't mind nor get mad as I considered you a great friend even didn't have traded a word with you a single time.
The Directs will never be the same without you. The two characters of the Fighter Pass, when they will be announced, it will hurt that you aren't there. You will be missed a lot and I think that won't be a new Direct that I will not think about you, man. But even with the pain, here in my home we will keep the Hype going, that's your legacy, every Direct Hype will be dedicated to you, man.

Rest in Peace Daniel Desmond Amofah...
Rest in Peace Young Ramsey...
Rest in Peace Iceman...
Rest in Peace Guile-Kun...
Rest in Peace Etika

The Hype Train will never stop.
The JoyCon Boyz will live forever.

"Take care of yourself. And of course, as usual, please have yourself a damn good one."

Last edited:
I'll admit that I never watched this dude often and I never knew him personally. However, I can't forget how much happiness he brought into my life with his videos when I did watch them. You could tell he was a fun guy with a gentle soul just by watching them. He had a certain aura that just resonated from him whenever he showed up, like you could yourself and unwind. I guess that's what gave him such a large following. Now I see the effects that such a large following can do to you when all your fake supporters just post memes, jokes, and slander about you just to put you down and raise themselves up with likes on Twitter and such. That stuff just eats at your mind and makes you turn into someone you're not. Etika was never a bad person. All those things he did concerning assaulting a police officer and threatening to shoot himself weren't performed a guy trying to get attention, but it was a man who was clearly calling out for help because he had issues. I wish he realized that he could come to us if he was falling off and we try everything to help him out. After all, that's what friends are for. I wish he realized that he still had so much to live for and that no one wanted this to happen to him. It's because we all love him so much.
Let this remind you that a mental health problem is a damn serious problem. This could lead to some really bad consequences that can never be undone. Please everyone, let's rise up to the task of making sure that this never happens again.

Goodbye Etika, you will always be remembered for the compassionate man you really were.
#JOYCONBOYZ FOREVER

Last edited:
D
The worst thing about all of this is that he admitted that he messed up and should've gotten help. He talked as if it was too late when that was the first step in getting help and then he did the exact opposite of what he should've done. His career is over but his life wasnt.

Rip Etika, i hope you found peace in the afterlife.

I felt heavy when I heard the news, honestly. His reactions are what pulled me completely to smash, I remember the "MEWTWOOOOOOOOOO" and his Bayonetta reactions. All pure joy, genuine love for Nintendo. Its horrible how some people just clowned on him when he absolutely needs help, I remember one stream he said "memes can hurt" and damn it absolutely held true.

Directs will never be the same without him, and Im sad he never got to experience Animal Crossing New Horizons, BanjoKazooie in Smash, or even win an ARMS tourny with his maingurl Minmin. I hope in some way, Nintendo can immortalize him. Rest In Peace Etika.

I’m just coming back here just to chime into this. I may not have been a fan of Etika but his passing surely shook me up. Unfortunately, this is another piece in a cycle that, unless something big happens in terms of mental health, will never, ever change.

We live in a cycle where a beloved figure takes his/her own life, people demand a change to how mental health is treated and then sadly, people who had no deep, personal connection to the person who passed on will move on with their lives and the cycle keeps going over and over again. Unless something changes, we will be subject to this.

Sorry to take a depressing turn on this but it’s unfortunately the sobering truth. My thoughts go out to Etika’s loved ones and hope something stems from this.

It is very unfortunate that this individual decided to end his life so early in his life due to what he describes " walls closing in." After a thorough investigation in to his death maybe it will be clear or maybe just raise more questions as to why he made this decision.

Desmond, we will miss you. We will not only miss the joy and passion that you shared with all of us, but a very wonderful, special, and valuable person. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your friends, and your family.

Rest in peace, Desmond.

It is very unfortunate that this individual decided to end his life so early in his life due to what he describes " walls closing in." After a thorough investigation in to his death maybe it will be clear or maybe just raise more questions as to why he made this decision.
Update: Officials ruled as a Suicide by Drowning. Of course no details as to how he achieved this. His body was found floating along Pier 16. A few scenarios:
- Possibly dove in the river and held on to an object long enough to lose consciousness .
- Tied himself to something either heavy or set underwater. ( A few days underwater could be enough for sea life to chew away at the string or rope ( not always the case but its a possibility)

Without confirmation that he had drugs in his system i can not think of another scenario.

Update: Officials ruled as a Suicide by Drowning. Of course no details as to how he achieved this. His body was found floating along Pier 16. A few scenarios:
- Possibly dove in the river and held on to an object long enough to lose consciousness .
- Tied himself to something either heavy or set underwater. ( A few days underwater could be enough for sea life to chew away at the string or rope ( not always the case but its a possibility)

Without confirmation that he had drugs in his system i can not think of another scenario.
He jumped off the Manhattan Bridge.

He jumped off the Manhattan Bridge.
Falling 300 ft into water. Yeah that would do it - more than likely died from impact. It would have been as if he fell into concrete. Jeez.
I thought he swam in or something like that. Thanks. Dan You got a link for that?

Falling 300 ft into water. Yeah that would do it - more than likely died from impact. It would have been as if he fell into concrete. Jeez.
I thought he swam in or something like that. Thanks. Dan You got a link for that?
I thought there was more to it than this, but that's where they found his belongings.

The messed up thing (depending on how you look at it) is that people have survived the Golden Gate, which is nearly twice as tall as the Manhattan.

I thought there was more to it than this, but that's where they found his belongings.

The messed up thing (depending on how you look at it) is that people have survived the Golden Gate, which is nearly twice as tall as the Manhattan.
As the cause was drowning, I think that he survived the fall, but was leaved unconscious by it and with the current his body can't float and he sinks.

I mentioned this at another site, but I feel it needs to be mentioned here as well....we as a society really need to think of a better way than just telling folks to “seek help” or their families. It’s pretty obvious many (hell probably most), are just gonna push people away, and ignore them when people tell them to “seek help” , before they finally take their life. By the time people notice someone has a problem, it’s usually too late, that person is no longer in their right state of mind, and most likely aren’t gonna willingly try to seek help.

...now how we would go about changing things idk. But just telling people to “seek help” isn’t working.

Maybe more focus is needed in catching potential symptoms even earlier?

Anyway it’s a shame to hear this happened, although I stopped watching his videos a long time ago, I did enjoy them during the early part of smash 4’s life and speculation cycle.

As the cause was drowning, I think that he survived the fall, but was leaved unconscious by it and with the current his body can't float and he sinks.
This may very well be the case. Medical Examiner said drowning so he either survived the fall OR dove in and or something to that extent. As far as I have read nothing to indicate injuries on the body from impact.

This may very well be the case. Medical Examiner said drowning so he either survived the fall OR dove in and or something to that extent. As far as I have read nothing to indicate injuries on the body from impact.
Yes; I can't remember the name of it and am not going to ask again out of respect, but he was in the position where your forearms are up in the air.

this is why everyone should delete their social media accounts. It really tears you apart if you aren't careful.
Or just not be A-holes...

I just got a news feed on my Switch today about an event in ARMS coming to an end involving a character battle and saw Min-Min was the winner of the event.

Then I was reminded of how Min-Min was Desmond/Etika's favorite character from that game.....yeah, this is gonna take a while to process. Even harder since I was roughly the same age as him too. It's just not fair.

I will never ever forget Etika! He was one of the very few streamers I would get super hyped for when I saw streaming. He has brought me and many others so much laughter and joy through his videos and streams. RIP Etika

Never would’ve expected him to do such.. he always seemed so full of life and joy, but it’s likely that it was just his way of dealing with things. My condolences to his family and friends.

Top Bottom