• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Estelle Braces For Battle! Estelle Bright For Smash.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Welp, ain't that fortunate timing (although I'm probably gonna be so burned out of this series after playing it between my revisit to Sky 3 last year, the entirety of Coldsteel these past 4 months and now the Crossbell games haha). I guess I'll have to look onto means to get the game itself, as there's no PC version of the game to download from dlsite afaik.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
The Geofront’s Trails to Azure English patch is out now! I’m still going through Cold Steel IV, but at some point I definitely want to go back through Azure with the nice Geofront translation.

...Some point later, though — Cold Steel IV is a BIG game, and I definitely want to play some other stuff before doing another Trails game lol.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
The Geofront’s Trails to Azure English patch is out now! I’m still going through Cold Steel IV, but at some point I definitely want to go back through Azure with the nice Geofront translation.

...Some point later, though — Cold Steel IV is a BIG game, and I definitely want to play some other stuff before doing another Trails game lol.
don't make my mistake of playing the first 3 Cold Steel games one after another in a month lol, it was certainly tiring (and I had revisited Sky 3 a month earlier to make matters worse).
I've already played 5 Trails games this year, but Zero left such a good lasting impression I'm very much looking forward to my time with Azure with the translation out.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Falcom posted a new trailer for Kuro no Kiseki, along with a Japanese release date of September 30. I like the new engine so far. As for the contents of the trailer...

YEEEEES ZIN AND WALTER ARE BACK! I also like Fie’s new design — the hat reminds me of that one bracer from Crossbell (I think her name was Aeolia). The new party members look great too — I’m interested to see more of Quartre and his many robot friends lol

It’s a bummer we probably won’t get this until MUCH later though, considering they just finished with the CS4 PC/Switch ports and would still need to get through Hajimari first...

Such is the state of playing JRPGs with massive script sizes and no simultaneous worldwide release

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
Falcom posted a new trailer for Kuro no Kiseki, along with a Japanese release date of September 30. I like the new engine so far. As for the contents of the trailer...

YEEEEES ZIN AND WALTER ARE BACK! I also like Fie’s new design — the hat reminds me of that one bracer from Crossbell (I think her name was Aeolia). The new party members look great too — I’m interested to see more of Quartre and his many robot friends lol

It’s a bummer we probably won’t get this until MUCH later though, considering they just finished with the CS4 PC/Switch ports and would still need to get through Hajimari first...

Such is the state of playing JRPGs with massive script sizes and no simultaneous worldwide release
Whoooooa, that was pretty awesome! The gameplay is definitely looking good. Thanks for sharing!

I'm really hyped to see Zin and Walter return. I didn't recognize Fie at first because she looks so different with the hat on, so thanks for pointing her out. I don't want too many of the old characters to return in Kuro as I'm hoping we'll get a chance to properly learn about the new cast, but seeing Fie return is still great.

I'm surprised that the release date is so soon. Falcom has been releasing these games really fast lately. >_>

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

As I've gotten in the series fairly recently, how long do games usually take to get localized since the Cold Steel stuff? I still need to beat Azure so I have 5 more games to catch up on before being concerned about that but it'd be good to know

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
As I've gotten in the series fairly recently, how long do games usually take to get localized since the Cold Steel stuff? I still need to beat Azure so I have 5 more games to catch up on before being concerned about that but it'd be good to know
Cold Steel III and IV both had a delay of about 2 years between their Japanese & English releases (on PS4, CS3 released Sept 2017 in Japan and Oct 2019 elsewhere, and CS4 released Sept 2018 in Japan and Oct 2020 elsewhere), and the Switch/PC ports took a little longer than that.

Idk when in those two-year periods NISA actually started working on the localization, but based on the pattern I’d imagine we’d likely get Hajimari fall 2022 and Kuro fall 2023.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I do hope they don't go overboard with the amount of party members, Coldsteel 3 and 4 really overdid it with how many characters you had in your party.
Not much to comment otherwise, I'm a bit more skeptic on how the series will follow after really not liking CS3 and 4, I certainly don't need to see anymore from the original cast of those games anytime soon.
Oh yeah I did beat Azure a few weeks ago, it was pretty good, but I feel I enjoyed Zero more.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

There's 10 emojis so a lot of people are seeing this as a hint for Hajimari's localization as the Hajimari is the 10th game.

Also, the Rate Their Chances thread's rating Rean, Adol and Estelle, so if you want to do a writeup for anyone to gush or try selling people on the characters

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Some stuff leaked early ahead of the Falcom concert, so if you want to see that live, don't open the spoiler (and stay out of the Adol thread until the concert, some of the leaks are out in the open there)
BRUH

I can't believe Epic Games Store leaked four upcoming Trails localizations:
  • Official localizations of Trails from Zero (fall 2022) and Trails to Azure (2023)
  • Hajimari as The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie (2023)
  • Nayuta no Kiseki as The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails (2023)
I'm gonna have to get used to calling Hajimari Reverie now -- it's so surreal seeing official English logos for that and Nayuta. The trailers on EGS only explicitly mention a PC release, but I'm guessing they'll have a similar schedule to recent Falcom games: PS4 first, then PC and maybe Switch after. So it's possible we get PS4 versions of these slightly earlier, although that's really only relevant for Zero, since everything else has the vague "2023" release window.

Still AAAAAAH FOUR TRAILS LOCALIZATIONS

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
right as the geofront finished translating the Crossbell saga, what timing! But it looks like we still have a long ways to go until the official localizations happen, and PS4 games in 2023...I wonder if that'll affect sales much? I guess the first Cold Steel games came out pretty late on the PS3 lifespan too, and it's not like Sony isn't still supporting that thing with stuff like Horizon

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
Concerning the leaks: I have to say I'm quite surprised. I was hoping for news, but I wasn't expecting 4 localization announcements. That's insane. 0_o

I finished the first Trails in the Sky game yesterday and it was quite a fun game. Estelle is my favorite character which is quite rare for any MC to be my favorite in an RPG cast, but Estelle just has that much fun personality. Bring on the Bo staff girl.
She is even better in Sky SC. =)

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I've got one small question about Hajimari if anyone knows. I know the game is split into 3 separate perspectives, but is the structure something like Sonic Adventure/Heroes? Where you choose one team and see their story from beginning to end? Or is it more like Yakuza 0 where you go back and forth between all 3 of them so you see their stories at a somewhat similar order?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I've got one small question about Hajimari if anyone knows. I know the game is split into 3 separate perspectives, but is the structure something like Sonic Adventure/Heroes? Where you choose one team and see their story from beginning to end? Or is it more like Yakuza 0 where you go back and forth between all 3 of them so you see their stories at a somewhat similar order?
A friend of mine told me it's the latter, with chapters switching back and forth between the three sides.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Apologies for the double post but the official announcements of localization for Zero, Azure, Nayuta, and Reverie have been released and they're coming to PC, PS4, and Switch! With this, the entire series will now officially be available to the West.

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
Aside from the Reverie spoilers in the stream(which I'm sure upset quite a few people), it was cool overall. I know some people are upset that we're going to have to wait so long for these to come out, but in all honesty... I'm just glad they are coming out at all. Especially when you consider that there was once a time where Falcom had almost given up on the series in the west due to Sky FC's poor sales on the PSP.

Although... it hurts a little that we may have to wait 3 or 4 years for Kuro.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
I still can’t get over the fact that NISA is partnering with the Geofront for the official Zero/Azure localizations. That’s super cool, and I’m happy for the Geofront team that they’re able to work on the games in an official capacity. The wait for Reverie will be super long, but I’m glad that Falcom’s presence in the west is getting stronger.

also yeah they kinda put Reverie spoilers everywhere lol — in the stream background sometimes and on all the 40th anniversary merch. I got spoiled on that plot point earlier, so it didn’t affect me, but still

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
It's pretty neat that we are getting an official worldwide release of the Crossbell games since it always seemed like an impossible dream. I really didn't want to buy the Chinese copy of Azure since it seemed like it was too much of a hassle to go through. I'm especially going to love seeing my Steam library containing all the Trails games from Sky to Reverie now. Yeah it kind of sucks that all four games are not coming out until 2022/2023 and the Calvard game probably won't come out now until 2024 at the earliest but I don't really mind waiting especially if I remember correctly even SC and the 3rd took longer than expected for its worldwide releases.

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
So IGN made a twitter post about the Trails series, and an article too(which they link to in the twitter post). I don't know if there are any spoilers in the article, as I just found out about this myself. But I doubt there are since the writer seems to be trying to get people to play them, lol. XD

Anyways, this was a pleasant surprise.

EDIT: So having read the article in full(there aren't any spoilers, aside from some character quotes, mostly Estelle's), I liked it except for one thing:

The only way to play Trails from Zero and Trails to Azure was through an unauthorized fan translation produced by a group called Geofront. It took the group years to complete the project, and is considered by many to be one of the greatest and most comprehensive fan translation efforts in modern history. But unfortunately distributing, downloading, and playing these fan translations is a legal grey area at best - it is, after all, distributing an unauthorized copy of a game.
This could have been worded better. >_>

Last edited:

Coconattsu

Smash Cadet
Yup, more exposure is always neat, and from a big one like IGN, even better.

That part could definitely have been worded better, but overall the article is pretty good, I hope it does incentivize a handful of people at the very least :^)

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah Kuro No Kiseki releases in 8 days. And there is a Direct this week, A smash character would be a great promoting tool 👀
Lol, something else to keep in mind: With the exception of the Sky trilogy and Kuro, all of the mainline Trails games are now on the Switch in Japan. And next week all of the mainline Trails games except for the Sky trilogy will be on the PS4(in Japan, of course).

... Well, not that it means we'll get Estelle in Smash, but I do think something is going on with the Sky trilogy regardless.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Put me in the support list. NOW!

I played the first trilogy months back, and the second and third game have become my favorite video games of all time ever. It's the first JRPG series where I felt there were complete character arcs with a solid story. It was so good, that I own every Trails game in my gaming PC now. I'd actually freak out if Estelle was playable.

I wanna get back into playing the Crossbell duology soon, but work and other stuff has been taking my time this year. :(

Last edited:

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
Put me in the support list. NOW!

I played the first trilogy months back, and the second and third game have become my favorite video games of all time ever. It's the first JRPG series where I felt there were complete character arcs with a solid story. It was so good, that I own every Trails game in my gaming PC now. I'd actually freak out if Estelle was playable.

I wanna get back into playing the Crossbell duology soon, but work and other stuff has been taking my time this year. :(
Yeah, even some of the NPCs and side characters have complete character arcs. It definitely gives the series a lot of it's charm.

Anyways, we'll know soon enough who the final character is. I hope it's Estelle, Rean or Adol, but I'll be fine with whoever was chosen.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Well all the character threads are shutting down soon so I just want to say, You all have been great and seeing other people talk about this franchise is really cool. I might try to make a general Falcom thread if no one else does but until that or a new smash you all have been wonderful

Top Bottom