• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

eSports Alternate Costumes/Skins

TheLuckyLoser

Smash Rookie
In games like Overwatch and LoL, the well known eSports teams have their own character skins. How would you feel if they provided costumes for the top players/teams in Smash Ultimate? Would it be good for the game and fanbase or would it detract from the experience?

Oddball

Smash Lord
Sounds like a bad idea to me.

Winning a tournament is fine, but the idea of creating new content just for a few special players strikes me as being against the ideas that Smash strives for.

TheLuckyLoser

Smash Rookie
Interesting point. But I still think it would be neat to have easily identifiable costumes for the top competitors when watching tourneys.

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
Sounds like a bad idea to me.

Winning a tournament is fine, but the idea of creating new content just for a few special players strikes me as being against the ideas that Smash strives for.
Think he means everyone could get them...like a jersey in a sporting goods store, but I still don't want it. Smash is supposed to be about chaotic fun...the pro scene needs to step away from this one. Even Sakurai has stated how much he despises what the competitive scene does to his games (there is an interesting Game Theory on youtube about how the "pros" only end up playing like 0.000001% of the intended game with all the crap they ban. Anyway, I am rambling a bit. No...keep "league" and "pro" stuff out of this as much as possible.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Think he means everyone could get them...like a jersey in a sporting goods store, but I still don't want it. Smash is supposed to be about chaotic fun...the pro scene needs to step away from this one. Even Sakurai has stated how much he despises what the competitive scene does to his games (there is an interesting Game Theory on youtube about how the "pros" only end up playing like 0.000001% of the intended game with all the crap they ban. Anyway, I am rambling a bit. No...keep "league" and "pro" stuff out of this as much as possible.
I find it hilarious that they dare to call themselves pros when they only play with such a small proportion of the game's content. A true Smash master is experienced with a wide variety of characters, stages, and rulesets.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I find it hilarious that they dare to call themselves pros when they only play with such a small proportion of the game's content. A true Smash master is experienced with a wide variety of characters, stages, and rulesets.
While I don't want esports costumes in smash, can we not bash the competitive scene. There is no wrong way to play smash bros and playing it competitively does not make you any less of a fan. Sakurai has never stated he hates the competitive scene either

TheLuckyLoser

Smash Rookie
While I don't want esports costumes in smash, can we not bash the competitive scene. There is no wrong way to play smash bros and playing it competitively does not make you any less of a fan. Sakurai has never stated he hates the competitive scene either
I agree, there are a lot of fun ways to enjoy Smash.

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
EXACTLY! Don't get butt hurt because you got nuked by a stage hazard you failed to dodge, or you don't know how to counterplay against certain weapons. Yeah, some are a touch OP, but they are in your hands too...so...balanced. Also, no, Sakurai didn't say he HATED the competitive scene, but I can certainly pull up interviews where he said smash isn't made for it and thinks players should play other games if they want to be competitive.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Thing is, these players specifically denote themselves professionals of "competitive Smash", which is a whole other thing from just "Smash". Even when they leave out the "competitive" part, it's implied.

Khao

Smash Lord
What makes you think pro players are not experienced with other portions of the game? I can almost guarantee that the average tournament player will absolutely dominate in a free-for-all match on random stages with items against casual players. Pretty much no competitive player started out immediately as a competitive player, but they focused on improving their game and managed to reach the top for a reason.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
EXACTLY! Don't get butt hurt because you got nuked by a stage hazard you failed to dodge, or you don't know how to counterplay against certain weapons. Yeah, some are a touch OP, but they are in your hands too...so...balanced. Also, no, Sakurai didn't say he HATED the competitive scene, but I can certainly pull up interviews where he said smash isn't made for it and thinks players should play other games if they want to be competitive.
Sure maybe for something like Brawl, but Ultimate has many new and changed things targeted at the competitive smash community. (Custom online rulesets, Battlefield style Omegas, Character Balance, Hazard Switch, etc) Smash Ultimate shows that the devs do consider the competitive players part of the community now. Why else would they invite well known competitive players and commentators to play the game at E3?

Also just because a game is played and celebrated in a way the devs didn't intend in a case like melee, it does not mean that the community is playing the game wrong. Not to mention the game gives you the customizability to set up matches however you prefer. Stock, stamina or time? Items on/off? Etc. The competitive players are just as passionate as any other fan, many are or have become hardcore nintendo fans because of their love of playing the game. For Example, Zero is considered one of the best Smash 4 players, yet he streams playing Smash casually along with other games.

There really shouldn't be a divide in the community like this, just because people play a game a different way then someone else.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
They won't even make obvious alt costumes that characters should already have, and you think they're going to devote time to special costumes for professional players?

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
ngl if something like that was put into Smash, I'd be very worried for what it would mean for the smash community long-term.

Comparing Fighting Games like Smash to Esports is like comparing Professional Wrestling to American Football.

I feel physically ill just at the mere thought of any Nintendo game-- let alone my one of my favorites --going anywhere near the soul-sucking, scandal-infested, sponsor-dependent, teammate-abusing, ELO-whining, slur-hurling, "twitch-streamer culture" cultural equivalent to a nuclear waste dump that "Competitive Overwatch/LoL/CS:GO/Etc." have all turned into. Honestly, **** anything that even remotely looks like it might try to steer either Nintendo or the FGC in that direction.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
What makes you think pro players are not experienced with other portions of the game? I can almost guarantee that the average tournament player will absolutely dominate in a free-for-all match on random stages with items against casual players. Pretty much no competitive player started out immediately as a competitive player, but they focused on improving their game and managed to reach the top for a reason.
Sure maybe for something like Brawl, but Ultimate has many new and changed things targeted at the competitive smash community. (Custom online rulesets, Battlefield style Omegas, Character Balance, Hazard Switch, etc) Smash Ultimate shows that the devs do consider the competitive players part of the community now. Why else would they invite well known competitive players and commentators to play the game at E3?

Also just because a game is played and celebrated in a way the devs didn't intend in a case like melee, it does not mean that the community is playing the game wrong. Not to mention the game gives you the customizability to set up matches however you prefer. Stock, stamina or time? Items on/off? Etc. The competitive players are just as passionate as any other fan, many are or have become hardcore nintendo fans because of their love of playing the game. For Example, Zero is considered one of the best Smash 4 players, yet he streams playing Smash casually along with other games.

There really shouldn't be a divide in the community like this, just because people play a game a different way then someone else.
I completely agree. We shouldn't even be talking about pros in this way as if you really think they can't handle items and hazards of such. They put in the time and effort to have an understanding of how the game works and pushes how far they can go with the meta. They probably know more about the game than we do to the point that they could know the exact time of when Randall will appear in Yoshi's island. Also I'd also like to add that Mang0 and Axe just played Melee's Iron Man with items and illegal stages and they certainly would whoop any casuals at their own rules.

Now with all that said, I don't like the idea of having costumes related to esports. While Ultimate does intend to not completely push the competitive aside this time around, it still isn't competitive to its core. It's still casual as it can be like other games, but it doesn't stop you from being more competitive either. If the game was completely competitive and got rid of all hazards and items and kept the same stock rules then maybe, but it's not because smash is for everyone. Play who you like and where you like with/without items. It suits people who like any sort of play style and the game will be no stranger to it. The game's spirit (no pun intended) is to be accessible to everyone and containing costumes for the nature of esports would absolutely ruin the experience because it would make people believe that this game is now going to shift to competitive as they are rewarding the competitive players with their own costumes and casuals would believe that this game isn't for them. Thus, would break the belief that the game is for everyone.

Also another point is that it obviously would hurt the fanbase given that this topic has split opinions about the competitive scene itself.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hahaha, hell no.

How about some real canonical costumes first?
I'd rather not see Kirby have an esports team tattooed across his face.

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
They look gaudy and horrible in Overgarbage and all the other slop, they look gaudy and horrible in mods, I sincerely doubt an official version of them would look any better than gaudy and horrible. FGC is god awful and so its community, esports teams are laughable, I don't think Smash needs to be tainted by such arrogance. But I guess I'm not contributing much to this since everyone else has been saying the same. Ah but enough negativity from us all, we should be celebrating! A mere 20 hours remain before the fated release!

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
They all get Captain Falcon skins of themselves. A Jigglypuff skin is added and it's just Leffen's head.

Top Bottom