• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escape to the Surface, Octolings for Smash + splatoon 3 discussion

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
Maybe an echo fighter pass will happen because the Smash Ultimate DLC sales number

Just throwing this out there.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I would, but work and caring for family literally drains me and I wouldn’t be available at the necessary times

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Guess which game of all games is discounted... 👀

surprised they’re not doing that for Smash Ultimate, MK8D or even ARMS tho...

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman

This is the Octoling I wish would be playable. They were dropped from the original Splatoon. The playable Octolings we eventually did get look completely different from this (I got nothing against them though). When Splatoon 3 comes, they can make this Octoling playable via a special hairstyle from the Octoling girl. They can even make a boy version. Octoling kelp can be a headgear.

Like I said in some previous posts, being playable from the get-go, Splatoon 3 would be the first time Octolings would be playable in Hero Mode. Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion was the first time Octolings were officially playable, and Splatoon 3 can push them even more to the forefront with the Inklings.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

This is the Octoling I wish would be playable. They were dropped from the original Splatoon. The playable Octolings we eventually did get look completely different from this (I got nothing against them though). When Splatoon 3 comes, they can make this Octoling playable via a special hairstyle from the Octoling girl. They can even make a boy version. Octoling kelp can be a headgear.

Like I said in some previous posts, being playable from the get-go, Splatoon 3 would be the first time Octolings would be playable in Hero Mode. Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion was the first time Octolings were officially playable, and Splatoon 3 can push them even more to the forefront with the Inklings.
I like the Octo Expansion ones though, they’re adorable (imo) :c

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
I like the Octo Expansion ones though, they’re adorable (imo) :c
Don't get me wrong. I also like them. I just think the other one should've been playable as well. Probably the best way is through a special hairstyle.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

they werent dropped they were briefly considered. also thats a fan hack

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
It is odd they didn't have the enemy octoling hairstyle for playable octolings. Seems like it would be easy to implement, and I can't think of any potential problems it would cause.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
It is odd they didn't have the enemy octoling hairstyle for playable octolings. Seems like it would be easy to implement, and I can't think of any potential problems it would cause.
And we only got two hairstyles for both genders. None of which are that of the enemy Octoling. If that were to be implemented in Splatoon 3, selecting the hairstyle would turn the Octoling into the enemy Octoling, complete with different voice and octopus form.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think the playable octolings looking that way is intentional - they're more innocent, whimsical and curious, unlike the enemies which are fierce, vicious and intimidating. it's evident in their designs and their voices

enemy = A N G E R Y
playable = bab

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If they were to reveal Octolings for Smash this pass, you think they’d be standalone (maybe at E3 or TGA) or paired with a Splatoon related announcement (like a hypothetical new DLC expansion)?

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
I don't think The Game Awards. Would be best with a Splatoon related announcement at E3.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Am i the only one that Think that Male Octoling look far worse than the Female ones
i mean i always play as a male (because i am one) but the male octolings look not really appealing!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Am i the only one that Think that Male Octoling look far worse than the Female ones
i mean i always play as a male (because i am one) but the male octolings look not really appealing!
Idk I think the default style is adorable, and their booyahs are cute

one of them is literally YAY

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
just a thought, when they end Splatfest reruns

what if they did a Chaos vs Order encore?

though idk why but im expecting them to drop the Chaos vs Order encore randomly and still have more reruns to go. Maybe that’s just me

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean i already starded 5 threads(without Oktorocks) but nobody visits them
so? no one ever visit most of my support threads just this one (which i took over when another user left) where its usually one of two people and the toad one. dont let a lack of interest discourage you

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I’ll be really happy if it’s Octoling... my dad died this week so I need something to make me happy

there are two characters in particular I will be POPPING OFF over (Elma and Neku) but Octoling would still make me really happy

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
that post went from one extreme to another.

my deepest condolences and please dont use that phrase on this thread

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
that post went from one extreme to another.

my deepest condolences and please dont use that phrase on this thread
Thank you, and I used the phrase in a celebratory context, like popping the biggest champagne bottles or something. I meant no offense by it

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
would you guys say Sephiroth's inclusion bodes well for the Octolings? there wasn't much FF7 content in base and that's about to be remedied

likewise, the only Octo Expansion content we have in base are the spirits of Agent 8's humanoid and octopus forms... for now...

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
Apparently people are saying that Nintendo is going to go to the same companies as FP1. About your argument I see where your coming from. So far imo this pack is either used to be cut characters, long time negotiation or in this case more representation. For some reason people think Octolings are going to be echoes.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
would you guys say Sephiroth's inclusion bodes well for the Octolings? there wasn't much FF7 content in base and that's about to be remedied

likewise, the only Octo Expansion content we have in base are the spirits of Agent 8's humanoid and octopus forms... for now...
i dont really see how he can effect them at all

For some reason people think Octolings are going to be echoes.
probably cuase they are functionally identical to the inklings

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Apparently people are saying that Nintendo is going to go to the same companies as FP1. About your argument I see where your coming from. So far imo this pack is either used to be cut characters, long time negotiation or in this case more representation. For some reason people think Octolings are going to be echoes.
I would hope for more representation personally

oh also Mariofest’s dates have been announced, Jan 16 - Jan 18

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
Octolings didn't have a chance to appear as playable base game character because of Octo Expansion release date similar to Min Min but with ARMS so Octolings showing up in the roster would be nice. Here's to hope not an Octoling Mii Costume.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If they do have to be a Mii costume... I hope they’re premium with Fly Octo Fly as a song at least

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I think a lot of people simply get caught in the rather ossified nature of roster speculation thinking and don’t realize how huge Splatoon 2 actually is. People perennially underrate the chances of an additional Splatoon character despite it being arguably Nintendo’s biggest IP after the Big Three and Animal Crossing.

Top Bottom