• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escape to the Surface, Octolings for Smash + splatoon 3 discussion

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I sadly can’t upload a screenshot cause it’s “too big to process” but indeed female and male inklings have separate folders

And there’s 5 empty spots at the bottom like everyone says

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I have done a concept of what Octoling could give us

I like the Autobomb as a reference to Inner Agent 3

maybe the side special could be charger and neutral special dualies with the dodge roll function? Splashdown is perfect as a FS

for music I like that you included some Salmon Run songs and Tidal Rush. Could use also Spicy Calamari Inkantation and some more Octo Expansion music like 13 - shade, or a remix of 8 - regret

for alts, Ketchup but no Mayo is a bit off putting when you made sure to include both Chaos and Order. You could also alternatively use Trick and Treat which have the glow in the dark effect (still keeping Chaos and Order)

imo “Agent 8” would work better as a boxing ring title

TEST PASSED! Is perfect as the victory fanfare

Last edited:

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
Yeah forgot to change second Alt and yeah didn't want to put too many songs either. I find it strange that Agent 3 in Ultimate doesn't have Agent 3 as Boxing Ring Title.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also for the spirit board I’d include Iso Padre, C.Q. Cumber, Cap’n Cuttlefish (Octo Expansion), Off the Hook (Octo Expansion) and Mysterious Phone that evolves into Commander Tartar

I know Cap’n and Off the Hook have Spirits in base game already but this is of their Octo Expansion outfits

also Splattack (Octo) is a MUST for music

Last edited:

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
Also for the spirit board I’d include Iso Padre, C.Q. Cumber, Cap’n Cuttlefish (Octo Expansion), Off the Hook (Octo Expansion) and Mysterious Phone that evolves into Commander Tartar

I know Cap’n and Off the Hook have Spirits in base game already but this is of their Octo Expansion outfits
I don't who could be the equivalent for them minus Captain Cuttlefish and Off the Hook

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't who could be the equivalent for them minus Captain Cuttlefish and Off the Hook
Iso Padre - King K. Rool
C. Q. Cumber - Tiny Squirtle, lots of Bob-Ombs and Sticky Bombs appear
Phone - ROB with Agent 3 Female Inkling, meant to represent Hijacked Agent 3; Splattack Octo plays

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Splatoween Art for upcoming Splatfest!

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So

splatfest starts tomorrow

best of luck to everyone! I’m on Team Trick, btw

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Splatoween ends soon, and the results will be up tonight. Either Team Trick will get revenge, or history will repeat itself (again). If the latter, I will be 0-3 with these bonus Splatfests.

The next bonus Splatfest may be the last one. Unlike the previous three, this one won't be a rerun, but an actual new theme. It won't be until January. The Mario-themed Mushroom vs. Star Splatfest will be next. They decided not to make it Mario vs. Luigi.

Splatoon 2 has to be one of the longest-supported games on the Switch. Even though they stopped adding new content shortly after the "Final" Fest, Splatfests somehow made a comeback in spring this year, and will keep going until early 2021. When we eventually do get Splatoon 3, it should be a breath of fresh air.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Aaaaaand

Treat won again

I was really pushing for Trick but Treat was too damn vicious... I wanted to see Pearl’s rap

then again I guess this is payback for Pearl defending Chicken’s title last time

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Once again, history has repeated itself. Three bonus Splatfests this year, and I didn't even win one of them. ONLY Team Ketchup got revenge. Teams Egg and Trick still failed to get revenge. If they can't get revenge, why even bother bringing them back in the first place? I really think bringing back Splatfests was a mistake. I thought the return of Mayo vs. Ketchup was a one-time thing, but when the 3rd Anniversary came, they just COULDN'T leave it alone. Like I said before, Splatfests are like cockroaches. They refused to die off. They couldn't just end it after the Final Fest, which was supposed to have been the last Splatfest for this game, but now we know for sure it wasn't.

I think the reason they suddenly decided to dig up Chicken vs. Egg and Splatoween was so the teams who won before can feel even more proud, while the teams who lost before would think they had a chance to get revenge, but still couldn't pull it off in the end. The only team that did successfully get revenge was Ketchup. Seriously, digging up the latter two Splatfests was just not necessary.

I lost all three bonus Splatfests this year, and didn't even win one. It was an awful year anyway. I'm starting to think I'd have better luck winning the lottery.

If anyone has the dialog for had Team Trick won, sharing would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Once again, history has repeated itself. Three bonus Splatfests this year, and I didn't even win one of them. ONLY Team Ketchup got revenge. Teams Egg and Trick still failed to get revenge. If they can't get revenge, why even bother bringing them back in the first place? I really think bringing back Splatfests was a mistake. I thought the return of Ketchup vs. Mayo was a one-time thing, but when the 3rd Anniversary came, they just COULDN'T leave it alone. Like I said before, Splatfests are like cockroaches. They refused to die off. They couldn't just end it after the Final Fest, which was supposed to have been the last Splatfest for this game, but now we know for sure wasn't.

I think the reason they suddenly decided to dig up Chicken vs. Egg and Splatoween was so the teams who won before can feel even more proud, while the teams who lost before would think they had a chance to get revenge, but still couldn't pull it off in the end. The only team that did successfully get revenge was Ketchup. Seriously, digging up the latter two Splatfests was just not necessary.

I lost all three bonus Splatfests this year, and didn't even win one. It was an awful year anyway. I'm starting to think I'd have better luck winning the lottery.

Scroll to dialogue > Results if Trick Wins

also I had an idea. If Octolings get confirmed for Smash, hopefully if they’re next, they may redo the Smash Bros. Splatfest, Hero vs. Villain. It seems with these rematches they don’t like the same side winning twice in a row so... I’m REALLY hoping Hero wins, that one has the better dialogue

And trust me I was trying SO HARD to get that dub for Trick, but Treat WAS TOO DAMN VICIOUS

Last edited:

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
The Team Trick dialogue is so much better, and we could've gotten that, but now it's not gonna happen!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Once again, history has repeated itself. Three bonus Splatfests this year, and I didn't even win one of them. ONLY Team Ketchup got revenge. Teams Egg and Trick still failed to get revenge. If they can't get revenge, why even bother bringing them back in the first place? I really think bringing back Splatfests was a mistake. I thought the return of Mayo vs. Ketchup was a one-time thing, but when the 3rd Anniversary came, they just COULDN'T leave it alone. Like I said before, Splatfests are like cockroaches. They refused to die off. They couldn't just end it after the Final Fest, which was supposed to have been the last Splatfest for this game, but now we know for sure it wasn't.

you lost so you think they shouldnt have done them?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think the issue was we had two repeat Splatfests in a row where Pearl won initially (Mayo vs Ketchup and Chicken vs Egg) and since Marina won the rematch of the first one (just barely, I might add) Pearl fans wanted to defend their side the next round

they should have followed up Mayo vs Ketchup 2020 with maybe one that Marina won initially, like Action vs Comedy or Sci-fi vs Fantasy

Action and Sci-fi were robbed I tell you! ROBBED!

plus I can imagine the cool one liners from Pearl, like “COOL SQUIDS DONT LOOK AT EXPLOSIONS!” And “Boldly go where no squid has gone before!”

I suppose they should next repeat another Splatfest that Marina initially won so after Pearl’s fans are done licking their wounds they can get their revenge

if it’s not Hero vs Villain I think it might be Frostyfest (Fam vs Friend)

Last edited:

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Mayo was the only team not to have a repeat victory, as an insult to injury. When the 3rd anniversary of Splatoon 2 came, they suddenly dug up Chicken vs. Egg, and recently Splatoween, only for the exact same teams to win both times, with people boasting about their repeat victories, while I still have yet to get one, let alone revenge.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
you guys have got to take this less seriously
I mean I’m over it already. I tried my best and that’s all that matters

it’s that they were too frickin skilled, I didn’t stand a chance

no 100xs either, Trick just needed a little more Normal clout to win and I could have if I had a 100x... but I didn’t

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I just hope either Hero vs Villain (if Octoling is confirmed for Smash next) or Frostyfest (Fam vs Friend) is next. Both are ones Marina won previously, just like Splatoween. Pearl won Mayo and Chicken the first time and Chicken again this time sooooo... let’s try to win Hero or Fam this time

Pearl also has real dope raps if Hero or Fam wins, do it for that too 🥺

this is of course assuming they do one more before the Mario themed Splatfest

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just wondering, do we have an exact date for Mariofest yet? All we know is it’s in January

Staarih

Smash Master
I wish we knew how much the Octo Expansion DLC sold...
Seeing how many Octolings I see each game, I'd say the attach rate of DLC for each Splatoon 2 owner is quite high. Not to mention the quality of the DLC (being definitely worth the price), I would assume it sold (and still sells) quite well. But yeah, concrete numbers would be cool, or even a statement like "X% of Splatoon 2 owners have bought the DLC".

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Seeing how many Octolings I see each game, I'd say the attach rate of DLC for each Splatoon 2 owner is quite high. Not to mention the quality of the DLC (being definitely worth the price), I would assume it sold (and still sells) quite well. But yeah, concrete numbers would be cool, or even a statement like "X% of Splatoon 2 owners have bought the DLC".
Some people may have beaten the Octo Expansion and chosen to remain an Inkling in multiplayer not me tho

fr, I’m often the only Octoling on my team, the other 3 are squids

Staarih

Smash Master
Some people may have beaten the Octo Expansion and chosen to remain an Inkling in multiplayer not me tho

fr, I’m often the only Octoling on my team, the other 3 are squids
Yeah, that too, so the DLC may have sold even better than we may expect.
Not sure if we'll ever get numbers for it though, sadly. At least Splatoon 2 itself just keeps on selling.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I requested this from someone in the newcomer thread, I forgot their name but it’s content Octoling could come with (my take, they just put it in image form and did the classic mode, the rest (barring the stage) were my ideas):

And yes, the phone Spirit evolves into Commander Tartar

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I requested this from someone in the newcomer thread, I forgot their name but it’s content Octoling could come with (my take, they just put it in image form and did the classic mode, the rest (barring the stage) were my ideas):

And yes, the phone Spirit evolves into Commander Tartar
apart from the lack of a boss in classic i like it

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion in the music there should be Octoling Rendezvous because it's the music we hear when we first saw Octolings in the Splatoon series also Splatoon 2 boss theme just there's both boss themes when selecting music. In short you could combine what I thought for music selection and merge with this one shown so there's more variety in the music selection for Splatoon music especially that Splatoon 1 music in Smash has Octo Valley music and thus Splatoon 2 would have more than just multiplayer songs.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If they added a few more Salmon Run songs that'd be neat too

no Buoyant Boogie or Girl From Inkopolis either... :c

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
I just want to voice my support here. I think there's enough untapped moveset potential in Splatoon that Octoling could be a fully unique fighter, although an echo fighter is probably more likely. Not sure it's very likely as Ultimate DLC since Inkling is still relatively recent (though honestly who knows), but as a newcomer for the next game they may be one of the most likely candidates.

Last edited:
Top Bottom