• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escape to the Surface, Octolings for Smash + splatoon 3 discussion

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion Octoling should be considered for a fighter in this game because if not this game then we would have to wait who knows how many years until the next Smash game. Octoling could also push sales of both Octo Expansion and Splatoon 2 further beyond their current sale number plus people think that Splatoon will become one of the big names in Nintendo series. In addition to this Sakurai has put Min Min which is a character that got cut from base game because of when ARMS was released. Though it wasn't considered, Octoling (Playable) didn't make their debut until 2018 basically when Smash was announcing the base game characters.

I have also seen this in a video which got me thinking.

Also a while ago I found this:
Images for simplicity if you want to:

What do you all think?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
In my opinion Octoling should be considered for a fighter in this game because if not this game then we would have to wait who knows how many years until the next Smash game. Octoling could also push sales of both Octo Expansion and Splatoon 2 further beyond their current sale number plus people think that Splatoon will become one of the big names in Nintendo series. In addition to this Sakurai has put Min Min which is a character that got cut from base game because of when ARMS was released. Though it wasn't considered, Octoling (Playable) didn't make their debut until 2018 basically when Smash was announcing the base game characters.

I have also seen this in a video which got me thinking.

Also a while ago I found this:
Images for simplicity if you want to:

What do you all think?
youre reading too much into it

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
Sure I might be but I thought of sharing these so I would have your thoughts about it because it's a thing to think about because Smash can go many different ways after Fighter's Pass 2, we just don't know which one yet. I watch videos on Smash speculation of people trying to predict the future of Smash by the way as a quick disclaimer I like to see people's thoughts on the subject. It's mainly the first link I posted that could possibly happen because Sakurai did say it will be hard to reach the heights of Ultimate again of bringing everyone back again.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Maybe in the next Smash game if they expand to 10 skins they can add an Octoling girl and boy skin, the more I think about it, the more I think about the complication of the amount of colors of ink if they were an echo fighter. I don't know which colors of ink they could use to make them distinct from one another considering there's currently 8 skins for each fighter.

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget there are the unique Splatfest colours and the enemy ink colours in both Story Modes (Octo Canyon and Octo Expansion) and Salmon Run.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Maybe in the next Smash game if they expand to 10 skins they can add an Octoling girl and boy skin, the more I think about it, the more I think about the complication of the amount of colors of ink if they were an echo fighter. I don't know which colors of ink they could use to make them distinct from one another considering there's currently 8 skins for each fighter.
well considering across the two games theres more than 20 colours of ink that is a problem that doesnt really exist

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Don't forget there are the unique Splatfest colours and the enemy ink colours in both Story Modes (Octo Canyon and Octo Expansion) and Salmon Run.
The Octo Expansion player colors are unique too - a magenta exclusive to the player; a grape soda-ish purple; and a peach color

Paraster

Smash Lord
I had more trouble picking out colors than I expected (partially due to the fact that a surprising amount of colors are really similar to other colors and that I was deadset against using one Splatfest color without its counterpart for a bit), but here's what I got (presented with the original Inkling colors for comparison; note that Inkling's green may be inaccurately bright in my image).
octoling colors.png

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I had more trouble picking out colors than I expected (partially due to the fact that a surprising amount of colors are really similar to other colors and that I was deadset against using one Splatfest color without its counterpart for a bit), but here's what I got (presented with the original Inkling colors for comparison; note that Inkling's green may be inaccurately bright in my image).
Some other duos I can suggest are Periwinkle (Unicorn) & Lilac (Narwhal) or Mayo (pale yellow) & Ketchup (bright orange-red)

Paraster

Smash Lord
Some other duos I can suggest are Periwinkle (Unicorn) & Lilac (Narwhal) or Mayo (pale yellow) & Ketchup (bright orange-red)
I considered Mayo vs. Ketchup for a while, but Ketchup was incredibly close to Hero, and I decided I'd rather use the Hero red and Villain blue since that Splatfest was literally Smash Bros. themed

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
how about also Trick vs Treat? I know Inklings have Orange and Yellow already but the thing with Trick and Treat's ink is that it has a "glow in the dark" effect, i can't describe it well you'd have to see it

Chaos vs Order has the metallic effect to it, and Fam vs Friend (Frostyfest) has the same glitter from Octo Canyon, so if you're worried about colorblindness, some of the 2 Splatfest ink has special "textures" to them (as well as the Sanitized ink from Octo Expansion)

Last edited:

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
There are rumors of a new Switch model coming within a few years. It could be either a next-gen system, or just an upgrade of the current hardware Switch to extend the life of the system. With the 3DS discontinued, the Switch is now currently Nintendo's only revenue stream. Because of the fact that the Switch was Nintendo's first portable system to use only one screen since the Game Boy Advance, Nintendo's two-screen days may be over.

As an idea for a Splatoon spinoff game, would Splatoon Kart be a good idea? It would be like Mario Kart, except it's ALL Splatoon characters. I know Mario Kart 8 Deluxe had the Inkling Boy and Girl, and a Splatoon battle course. What if we had a racing game that's Splatoon dedicated? You can design your Inkling or Octoling character, play as Agent 3, Agent 4, Agent 8, Enemy Octolings, Callie, Marie, Pearl, Marina, and maybe some of the non-cephalopod characters as well.

The first Mario Kart clone I played as a kid was Pac-Man World Rally on Gamecube. There also exists Garfield Kart, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, and Little Big Planet also had a Mario Kart clone. To a lesser extent, Cars 2 the video game. Should Splatoon get a Mario Kart clone?

I know Animal Crossing had a Mario Party clone (amiibo Festival), and it flopped hard. The Wii U era was definitely a dark age for Nintendo.

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
If I'm correct there's been talks of a Switch Pro next year. People think 2021 will be a strong year like 2017 because of the pandemic delaying 2020 games to 2021. Maybe one of the titles would be Splatoon 3 or a spin off and Smash could promote the series because Splatoon has a lot of potential to have an even bigger fan base.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If I'm correct there's been talks of a Switch Pro next year. People think 2021 will be a strong year like 2017 because of the pandemic delaying 2020 games to 2021. Maybe one of the titles would be Splatoon 3 or a spin off and Smash could promote the series because Splatoon has a lot of potential to have an even bigger fan base.
thereve been rumors of a switch pro since the switch came out

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The Splatoon spinoff would most likely be the SAVE OUR SALMONS thing

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
My Splatoon Kart idea was just a thought. Maybe it needs time to warm up. Like the main games, you can play as a customized Inkling or Octoling character, or play as Agent 3, Agent 4, Agent 8, Enemy Octolings, Callie, Marie, Pearl, Marina, Dedf1sh, and some non-cephalopod characters like Sheldon, Flow, Crusty Sean, Murch, some Jellyfish, and more.

For items:
Curling Bomb = Green Shell
Autobomb = Red Shell
Flying Autobomb = Blue Shell
Splat Bomb = Bob-Omb
Suction Bomb = Banana (only explodes when touched)
Boost Drink = Mushroom
Bubbler = Star
Kraken = Bullet Bill
Tenta Missiles would be similar to the Lightning Bolt, going after every other racer.
Killer Wail would only be used in Battle Mode.

I think the idea of a dedicated Splatoon racing game does sound interesting. I know many others would rather have Mario Kart 9, and I would also love that. For other Splatoon spinoff games, would sports like golf or tennis also work? In Splatoon Tennis, we could have the Squid Sisters vs. Off the Hook as doubles teams.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think the idea of a dedicated Splatoon racing game does sound interesting. I know many others would rather have Mario Kart 9, and I would also love that. For other Splatoon spinoff games, would sports like golf or tennis also work? In Splatoon Tennis, we could have the Squid Sisters vs. Off the Hook as doubles teams.
problem is mario kart tends to be the best selling game on any nintendo console, nintendo probably would want to make any others.

probably contributes to f-zero's perpetual limbo thinking about it

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
If we can't have a dedicated Splatoon racing game, then Octolings could still be playable in Mario Kart 9, along with possibly Callie, Marie, Pearl, and Marina. I don't think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is getting DLC.

Like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Mario Kart 9 should have every character that's ever been playable in the main Mario Kart series, including Donkey Kong Jr., Petey Piranha, and R.O.B.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
problem is mario kart tends to be the best selling game on any nintendo console, nintendo probably would want to make any others.

probably contributes to f-zero's perpetual limbo thinking about it
MK and F-Zero appeal to different audiences though, and tbh adding a gimmick would take away what F-Zero is about: fast, difficult racing as opposed to semi-casual kart racing.

anyway uh.... veemo

kinda minor detail also but every Splatoon 2 open advertisement this year has only used the enemy Octoling icon, not the playable kind. maybe its just a coincidence but i wonder why they won't use the obviously cuter playable octoling icon

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If we can't have a dedicated Splatoon racing game, then Octolings could still be playable in Mario Kart 9, along with possibly Callie, Marie, Pearl, and Marina. I don't think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is getting DLC.

Like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Mario Kart 9 should have every character that's ever been playable in the main Mario Kart series, including Donkey Kong Jr., Petey Piranha, and R.O.B.
I think that would be your best hope

that roster is pretty big now

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
quick comparison:
it's clearly the enemy one:

coloring is a bit off but the eyes are that of the enemy kind's

the playable one's:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
quick comparison:
it's clearly the enemy one:

coloring is a bit off but the eyes are that of the enemy kind's

the playable one's:
the colouration seems to be the main difference between the two with only the slightest difference in the tentacles

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
the colouration seems to be the main difference between the two with only the slightest difference in the tentacles
Personally think the eyes make a difference as well

the enemy one has this A N G E R Y stare while the playable one has a cute innocent look in its eyes

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So voice slot theory is taking off again:

Idk but I’m starting to think Octoling may have a shot with the female/male alts if this is the case

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So voice slot theory is taking off again:

Idk but I’m starting to think Octoling may have a shot with the female/male alts if this is the case
what is the voice theory?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
what is the voice theory?
Checking the character’s voice clips in the game, finding missing slots. Last time, shortly before Banjo dropped, a user here found four empty spaces after the four Hero alts. One was obviously banjo, which left two characters. Only thing was there was 3 remaining spaces, leading to a possibility one of them could have an alt with a different voice. It turned out being Terry, Male Byleth and Female Byleth.

and now there are four spots in the pass but five in the voice select. Steve/Alex/Zombie/Enderman is mute and I doubt we’ll get another mute character this pass

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
One of the characters has to be on its own so a singular character would be in place there. Because I can't see a four characters taking them up.

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
With that theory a singular character would use a spot on the Fighter's Pass to make three then four spots remain in the character select so there's a chance either there to be one other singular character and a duo or different alt characters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
With that theory a singular character would use a spot on the Fighter's Pass to make three then four spots remain in the character select so there's a chance either there to be one other singular character and a duo or different alt characters.
For a next time, don’t double post, use the edit button instead

but the way I see it - one character with male and female alts, or one different full appearance but same gender alt; and three regular voiced characters

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Checking the character’s voice clips in the game, finding missing slots. Last time, shortly before Banjo dropped, a user here found four empty spaces after the four Hero alts. One was obviously banjo, which left two characters. Only thing was there was 3 remaining spaces, leading to a possibility one of them could have an alt with a different voice. It turned out being Terry, Male Byleth and Female Byleth.

and now there are four spots in the pass but five in the voice select. Steve/Alex/Zombie/Enderman is mute and I doubt we’ll get another mute character this pass
now that is curious, may need to check some things out

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
Also in the video it also mentioned something which is more of a pipe dream but is possible because Smash can throw surprises. where a bonus character is released at the end of the pass after all characters are released or a echo pass to fill the roster slots to do a perfect rectangle in both stacked and unstacked rosters except the other modes which remove the Mii Fighters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
there's also the possibility of a duo character like how some people visualize rex
Duos are in the same folder. It was that way with the ice climbers and with banjo. Final Smash Cameos like Dunban and Riki are in the folder of their subject

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Duos are in the same folder. It was that way with the ice climbers and with banjo. Final Smash Cameos like Dunban and Riki are in the folder of their subject
how about different genders where the voice clips are basically the same?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
same must be true for the inklings

even if they have the same voices only slightly altered
I’ll boot up smash after work and check if they have separate folders which they probably do

Top Bottom