• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escape to the Surface, Octolings for Smash + splatoon 3 discussion

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of chicken"? Really?

this is from the Splatoon wiki and the datamine, btw. Pearl's win dialogue is funnier
Thank you for clearing that up. So THAT'S what would've happened. Though, you find Pearl dismissing Marina with the Splatfest rules to be funnier?

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Here's a list of things I'd like to see in Splatoon 3:

-Playable Enemy Octoling
-Octolings playable from the get-go (for the first time, Octolings can be heroes in Hero Mode)
-More Octoling hairstyles (inevitable for the next installment)
-Agent 8 Test Subject Gear Replica (with matching legwear)
-Octoling Kelp (headgear)
-Return of the Squid Girl Tunic (and other memorable gear from the original Splatoon)
-Return of Squid Jump, and the other arcade-style subgames from the original Splatoon
-Battle Royale Mode (can have 8 or 16 players, all of different ink color)
-The option to back out of the waiting screen, which comes in handy if you choose a battle by accident, or it's taking too long
-Using the Squid Sisters or Off the Hook amiibo to have your idol pair perform in town
-Bow and Arrow (new weapon type, with the default being called the "Splat Arrow")
-All online stages from both previous installments (possibly)
-Splatfest Turf War (letting you play Splatfest battles anytime when a Splatfest isn't live, but if online, neither side will represent a particular team; Splatoon 2 has it local only)
-Split-screen multiplayer

I wonder what other features you'd like to see in Splatoon 3.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know I also kinda wish Splatoon 1 included the alternate win dialogue in datamines

would have liked to see what would have been said if Team Callie won 1’s final Splatfest

Not that it would have made a difference anyway since Callie would have been an antagonist in 2 regardless according to an interview

Last edited:

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised you can't dress up like Agent 8 in online battles, but you can dress up like Agent 4. They should add a replica of Agent 8's outfit, including the same legwear for the boys and girls. Agent 8's "shirt" can still have the bomb strapped to the back, but a dummy one just for show, making it an accurate replica. It's too late to get that in Splatoon 2, but we can get it in Splatoon 3. Replicas of Callie and Marie's casual outfits can also be added, possibly gifted by the Callie and Marie amiibo, since we did get replicas of Pearl and Marina's. Pearl and Marina have the option to take photos with them in their casual outfits, but Callie and Marie don't.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh I just realized something

while Min Min potentially paved the way for Spirit promotions, she didn’t have a pre existing amiibo before then. Octoling Girl and Octoling Boy can have their spirit unlocked via the Octoling Girl or Octoling Boy amiibo in addition to the Spirit Board/WoL (on the path to Incineroar in the Dark Realm).

That may be an issue... probably? You think?

Paraster

Smash Lord

while Min Min potentially paved the way for Spirit promotions, she didn’t have a pre existing amiibo before then. Octoling Girl and Octoling Boy can have their spirit unlocked via the Octoling Girl or Octoling Boy amiibo in addition to the Spirit Board/WoL (on the path to Incineroar in the Dark Realm).

Eh, I don't think it would be too hard to change it from spirit dispenser to FP host in an update.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

nope. i believe there have been similar issues with amiibos before you probably just be able to use the for FPs

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Given how far we're into the Switch lifespan already, and the same dev team is currently busy with Animal Crossing New Horizons, we most likely won't get Splatoon 3 until we get the Switch successor. There's already rumors of the Switch successor coming within a few years. Splatoon 3 might look really good there. On a much more powerful system, Splatoon 3 could be the most beautiful installment in the series.

Still waiting for Challenger Pack 7 to get revealed. They've obviously ran into some heavy delays. Will we get Pearl and Marina Mii costumes?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Given how far we're into the Switch lifespan already, and the same dev team is currently busy with Animal Crossing New Horizons, we most likely won't get Splatoon 3 until we get the Switch successor. There's already rumors of the Switch successor coming within a few years. Splatoon 3 might look really good there. On a much more powerful system, Splatoon 3 could be the most beautiful installment in the series.

Still waiting for Challenger Pack 7 to get revealed. They've obviously ran into some heavy delays. Will we get Pearl and Marina Mii costumes?
well they did say they wanted spaltoon to be the mario kart of shooters so that would mean one per console

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
I just got another idea for Splatoon 3. It's how they can fix ranked battles:

They should have every Ranked Battle mode live 24/7, while still using the same stages. In Clam Blitz this morning, I was just one win away from getting in the OK area in the meter, but then I lost again (which was so humiliating), and the modes changed, which is forcing me to wait several hours before the same mode goes live again. This wouldn't have happened if all Ranked Battle modes were live simultaneously, so that way, we'd never have to wait, or worry about it changing, or make plans for a certain time. That would make things much better in Splatoon 3. And, you can choose what type of Ranked Battle, whenever you want.

In Splatoon 2, once the Ranked Battle mode changes, you're forced to wait several hours for it to go live again.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I literally shook in my seat when I saw that. I was expecting all the rerun Splatfests to just be redos of old ones!

I'm considering getting the Team Star T-shirt, actually...
well remember its about mario not splatoon

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What if the Mario Splatfest is the one designated as SEL in the code...?

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
This January, we're actually getting a bonus Splatfest with a new theme, that's none other than Mario-themed. Mushroom vs. Star. Doesn't look like we're getting a rerun of Chaos vs. Order.

I was starting to think the Switch was going to be the first Nintendo console since the series debut not to get its own Mario Kart (excluding Game Boy Color). The Switch is getting its own Mario Kart alright, but one that uses physical toys with augmented reality, and not a full installment. Just like Splatoon 3, we may not get a real Mario Kart 9 until we get the Switch successor, unless it gets announced next year.

When Mario Kart 8 was first announced on Wii U, I thought the game looked amazing, and if Mario Kart 9 is being saved for the Switch successor, I can only imagine how good that game will look. Same for Splatoon 3.

Still no info on Challenger Pack 7 yet. It's already been almost three months since Min Min was added.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This January, we're actually getting a bonus Splatfest with a new theme, that's none other than Mario-themed. Mushroom vs. Star. Doesn't look like we're getting a rerun of Chaos vs. Order.

I was starting to think the Switch was going to be the first Nintendo console since the series debut not to get its own Mario Kart (excluding Game Boy Color). The Switch is getting its own Mario Kart alright, but one that uses physical toys with augmented reality, and not a full installment. Just like Splatoon 3, we may not get a real Mario Kart 9 until we get the Switch successor, unless it gets announced next year.

When Mario Kart 8 was first announced on Wii U, I thought the game looked amazing, and if Mario Kart 9 is being saved for the Switch successor, I can only imagine how good that game will look. Same for Splatoon 3.

Still no info on Challenger Pack 7 yet. It's already been almost three months since Min Min was added.
you didnt notice we were already talking about the splatfest did you?

Paraster

Smash Lord
Over in the Geno thread there was a brief conversation about the prospect of a Splatoon spin-off (long story), which made me think: what spin-off would you like to see?

Personally, I'd be partial towards a rhythm game. Given how important music is to the world of Splatoon, this is second only to an art game for the most natural spin-off concept.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Over in the Geno thread there was a brief conversation about the prospect of a Splatoon spin-off (long story), which made me think: what spin-off would you like to see?

Personally, I'd be partial towards a rhythm game. Given how important music is to the world of Splatoon, this is second only to an art game for the most natural spin-off concept.
Maybe something about the Salmonids?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

splatoon warriors?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
you know i was thinking (yeah i always start my posts here like this lmao)

to further differentiate Octolings from Inklings, aside from them using different weapons - what if they were a high risk/high reward character? it even encapsulates the spirit of Octo Expansion itself - difficult, but rewarding, especially if you use weapons with a higher payout after clearing the level as they often make the level harder

maybe some moves use more ink but the Octoling recovers ink faster? if Dualies are used, you'd need to be careful lest you roll off the ledge? any other suggestions are welcome

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't know what's taking so long to reveal Challenger Pack #7. It's already been three months since Min Min. Nintendo was unusually very silent throughout the summer, starving us of information, but it wasn't until the recent Super Mario's 35th Anniversary Direct when Nintendo finally broke their silence. They still haven't broke their silence regarding Smash DLC yet.

I get that the pandemic is still going on after six months, but come on! Sakurai should just spill the beans already. I really think the majority of DLC Pass 2 will be released throughout 2021, or at least the second half of it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
you know i was thinking (yeah i always start my posts here like this lmao)

to further differentiate Octolings from Inklings, aside from them using different weapons - what if they were a high risk/high reward character? it even encapsulates the spirit of Octo Expansion itself - difficult, but rewarding, especially if you use weapons with a higher payout after clearing the level as they often make the level harder

maybe some moves use more ink but the Octoling recovers ink faster? if Dualies are used, you'd need to be careful lest you roll off the ledge? any other suggestions are welcome
I like this idea, make Octoling a more aggressive version of Inkling, but with disadvantages in places like animations taking longer to end, making them open to punishment if moves fail, and maybe even making them slightly more susceptible to knockback. Like you said, the Octolings hail from an expansion known for its difficulty, so to have the character reflect that is very fitting.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I honestly don't know what's taking so long to reveal Challenger Pack #7. It's already been three months since Min Min. Nintendo was unusually very silent throughout the summer, starving us of information, but it wasn't until the recent Super Mario's 35th Anniversary Direct when Nintendo finally broke their silence. They still haven't broke their silence regarding Smash DLC yet.

I get that the pandemic is still going on after six months, but come on! Sakurai should just spill the beans already. I really think the majority of DLC Pass 2 will be released throughout 2021, or at least the second half of it.
well we dont know the full extant of how everything has affected smash, sure they said they hadnt been affect very much but we dont know what could have happened since then. we just dont know how anything over at nintendo has been affected by this so just be patient

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I like this idea, make Octoling a more aggressive version of Inkling, but with disadvantages in places like animations taking longer to end, making them open to punishment if moves fail, and maybe even making them slightly more susceptible to knockback. Like you said, the Octolings hail from an expansion known for its difficulty, so to have the character reflect that is very fitting.
Maybe a Charger or Splatling can fit one of those disadvantages? Like the Splatling’s animation would take longer to end, or a Charger could make the Octoling susceptible to punishment if the move fails (just like in Splatoon, if a Charger user is aiming their reaction time to an approaching opponent is reduced)

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo has just discontinued the 3DS, which was on the market for almost a decade.

I knew it was only a matter of time before Nintendo finally discontinues the 3DS, and now, it's happened. That means Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn was Nintendo's last first-party 3DS game. Now that most players have moved on to the Switch, there's no reason for the 3DS to be on the market for much longer. Nintendo now exclusively focuses on the Switch.

Within a few years, we might get the Switch successor. With next-generation consoles coming soon, Nintendo needs to do something to stay competitive, and keep their third-party support. Even if they've got great first-party games, if third-party support isn't there, the console will fail. The Wii U is the epitome of that; even though it had great first-party games, third-party support was really lacking, and that's what led to the Wii U failure, aside from bad marketing. The Wii U was Nintendo's second worst-selling console of all time, with number one being the Virtual Boy. Once we get the next-generation Switch, most likely in 2022 at the earliest, I think that's when Splatoon 3 will be on the horizon. I'll be really looking forward to seeing how great the game will look on the next-generation Switch. The world of Splatoon might look even more realistic than before.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo has just discontinued the 3DS, which was on the market for almost a decade.

I knew it was only a matter of time before Nintendo finally discontinues the 3DS, and now, it's happened. That means Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn was Nintendo's last first-party 3DS game. Now that most players have moved on to the Switch, there's no reason for the 3DS to be on the market for much longer. Nintendo now exclusively focuses on the Switch.

Within a few years, we might get the Switch successor. With next-generation consoles coming soon, Nintendo needs to do something to stay competitive, and keep their third-party support. Even if they've got great first-party games, if third-party support isn't there, the console will fail. The Wii U is the epitome of that; even though it had great first-party games, third-party support was really lacking, and that's what led to the Wii U failure, aside from bad marketing. The Wii U was Nintendo's second worst-selling console of all time, with number one being the Virtual Boy. Once we get the next-generation Switch, most likely in 2022 at the earliest, I think that's when Splatoon 3 will be on the horizon. I'll be really looking forward to seeing how great the game will look on the next-generation Switch. The world of Splatoon might look even more realistic than before.
context i feel is need. while the wii u is nintendos second worst selling console the virtual boy remains the only commercial failure

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
context i feel is need. while the wii u is nintendos second worst selling console the virtual boy remains the only commercial failure
I think what contributed to the Wii U’s poor sales was the name. People thought it was just an extension to the OG Wii

also lack of third party support

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
It's not certain whether or not the Switch will outsell the Wii, but it is bound to outsell the 3DS.

Because of the next-generation consoles coming soon, we may get the Switch successor sooner than we think; 2022 at the earliest, like I said.

I haven't gotten Super Mario 3D All-Stars, since they left out Super Mario Galaxy 2, and they also could've gotten Super Mario 3D Land to work on the Switch. Maybe they'll be paid DLC, or they make a sequel. I know Super Mario 3D World is coming to the Switch this February. Another great idea (for 2D Mario lovers like myself) would be New Super Mario All-Stars, which would include New Super Mario Bros., New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and New Super Mario Bros. 2 in one package.

Next year is both Zelda's 35th and Donkey Kong's 40th Anniversaries. For Zelda, they can bring the HD Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remasters to the Switch, since they were both held back by being on Wii U. They can also make The Legend of Zelda Game & Watch with full color screen. For Donkey Kong's 40th Anniversary, they can add Donkey Kong: Original Edition to the NES games on Nintendo Switch Online, which has all four arcade levels, and some extra animations. That version of the NES Donkey Kong originally had a limited release on the red Wii. Another thing to celebrate Donkey Kong's 40th Anniversary would be giving Arcade1up the license to make a Donkey Kong arcade cabinet, which can include Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Donkey Kong 3, and Mario Bros.

If we don't get news on Challenger Pack #7 this month, then next month for sure. The delays must have been much more serious than they thought.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's not certain whether or not the Switch will outsell the Wii, but it is bound to outsell the 3DS.

Because of the next-generation consoles coming soon, we may get the Switch successor sooner than we think; 2022 at the earliest, like I said.

I haven't gotten Super Mario 3D All-Stars, since they left out Super Mario Galaxy 2, and they also could've gotten Super Mario 3D Land to work on the Switch. Maybe they'll be paid DLC, or they make a sequel. I know Super Mario 3D World is coming to the Switch this February. Another great idea (for 2D Mario lovers like myself) would be New Super Mario All-Stars, which would include New Super Mario Bros., New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and New Super Mario Bros. 2 in one package.

Next year is both Zelda's 35th and Donkey Kong's 40th Anniversaries. For Zelda, they can bring the HD Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remasters to the Switch, since they were both held back by being on Wii U. They can also make The Legend of Zelda Game & Watch with full color screen. For Donkey Kong's 40th Anniversary, they can add Donkey Kong: Original Edition to the NES games on Nintendo Switch Online, which has all four arcade levels, and some extra animations. That version of the NES Donkey Kong originally had a limited release on the red Wii. Another thing to celebrate Donkey Kong's 40th Anniversary would be giving Arcade1up the license to make a Donkey Kong arcade cabinet, which can include Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Donkey Kong 3, and Mario Bros.

If we don't get news on Challenger Pack #7 this month, then next month for sure. The delays must have been much more serious than they thought.
tbh, at this point I low key expect (and HIGH key hope) we get a full on triple reveal - three trailers back to back, even if you gotta pull a Terry and say "Now in development" at the end of at least one of them

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
i dont fancy out odds
I know people have said that they wouldn’t represent DLC content as the patched in characters for ARMS didn’t have Spirits or appear in Min Min’s FS. I’m kinda hoping that’s not the case for Octoling; Octo Expansion was a full on story addition and Octolings have technically existed since Splatoon 1, just not the OE variant. We ALSO have two OE spirits (the Octopus form, and male and female Agent 8) so the acknowledgment could help I guess?

Top Bottom