• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escape to the Surface, Octolings for Smash + splatoon 3 discussion

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If we're not getting Splatoon 3 until we get the Switch successor, what kind of games or special content will us Splatoon fans get? The Switch could be on the market and supported by Nintendo for at least another four years. I'm not sure I can wait that long. After next year, the Switch will already surpass the Wii U lifespan.

Octolings were going to be playable in the original Splatoon, but were cut because the developers wanted to properly introduce them story-wise, which we eventually got as the Octo Expansion. Splatoon 3 should introduce Salmonlings as the third playable species. Since all enemy Octolings are girls, I can imagine all enemy Salmonlings being boys. Octoling culture is female-dominated, so Salmonling culture can be male-dominated. Salmonling girls can be playable though, just like Octoling boys.

If Salmonlings get introduced officially, they can make the enemy Salmonlongs unlockable, and playable after clearing Splatoon 3 "Salmon Expansion", while Octolings get playable right from the get-go, like I said in another post, but now make the enemy Octolings playable as well. They can both be called "Ex-Enemy Octoling" and "Ex-Enemy Salmoning" with the Ex-Enemy Octoling being a girl, and the Ex-Enemy Salmonling being a boy.

After DLC Pass 2 gets completed, Sakurai could either announce a Pass 3, or end DLC for this game, and move on to his next project. I'm hoping this month, if not, next month for sure, we'll get an announcement for Challenger Pack 7.

Maybe I'm just repeating things from earlier posts. I'm just a man with interesting ideas I wish would become a reality. It's been a hectic year, with not much exciting going on, and I've been dying for more exciting news and updates.
salmonlings? Really?

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
i really dont think they should do that, its take something away from their whole feral beast thing
Hate to disappoint you, but I've seen lots of fans draw how they think Salmonlings would look, and if they're being vocal about it, Salmonlings eventually will become a reality. Many of us in the fandom would think Salmonlings would be interesting. You're the first person I met who would be against Salmonlings in Splatoon, so you seem to be in the minority. I respect your opinion, though.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Hate to disappoint you, but I've seen lots of fans draw how they think Salmonlings would look, and if they're being vocal about it, Salmonlings eventually will become a reality. Many of us in the fandom would think Salmonlings would be interesting. You're the first person I met who would be against Salmonlings in Splatoon, so you seem to be in the minority. I respect your opinion, though.
Honestly, if we are gonna get Salmonlings at some point down the line, then the lore behind them should be able to make their existence make sense. They could get as dark as Octo Expansion. They could give them a wacky point of origin like eating too much Inklings changed their biology or something. Regardless, lore is ultimately what can make or break the existence of Salmonlings imo.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i would say the octolings make sense as the octarians were the inklings counter parts. then salmonids are just shown to be wild animal, so them just suddenly having inkling like forms would just be really random

Well, Mr. Grizz does take Golden Salmon Eggs. Maybe he is creating Salmonlings?
nah hes eating them

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
No real proof (that I've seen) that says what he does with the Eggs. At least all of them. I think he might refer to eating them but it wouldn't surprise me if he does more than than that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
No real proof (that I've seen) that says what he does with the Eggs. At least all of them. I think he might refer to eating them but it wouldn't surprise me if he does more than than that.
Remember the SAVE OUR SALMONS image? It’s implied that’s a cry from the Salmonids themselves

if not eating them, Mr. Grizz is still doing something... undesirable to them

also Mr. Grizz didn’t pick a side for Chaos vs Order... hmmm...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
your right theres no proof of what he doing to them

we cant even be sure hes a grizzly bear

anyone else kinda want to see a chum playable in smash?

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
If Smash eventually does get a second Splatoon fighter, the most logical choice would be Octoling.

Should Splatoon 3 introduce new playable species? That would increase character variety. I know Octolings desperately need more hairstyles, that's for sure. Maybe as another way to incorporate the enemy Octolings into playability, selecting the enemy Octoling hairstyle can change the Octoling girl into the enemy Octoling. with a different voice and octopus form, It might only work for Octoling girl, unless they add a boy version as well. Should that be how it works, or should the Enemy Octoling be separate from Octoling Girl and Boy?

If the Enemy Octoling gets an amiibo (possibily wearing Octoling armor and goggles), it can be sold in a two-pack with the octopus form. Maybe Cap'n Cuttlefish can get an amiibo as well for Splatoon 3. Speaking of Cap'n Cuttlefish, he could get a Mii (Swordfighter) costume in Smash, using his cane as a sword. Pearl can be a Mii Brawler, while Marina can be either a Mii Gunner or Swordfighter.

I'm very curious to know what the Switch successor could be like. They did talk about the possibility of a 3DS successor when the Switch first launched, but that would be in case the Switch failed, and it didn't, so a 3DS successor never really came into fruition, especially now that there's the Switch Lite, which is already a dedicated handheld. I doubt Nintendo would go back to the "two console" days, where they focus on games for two systems. They'll most likely stick with the hybrid concept for the Switch successor.

We should definitely get a Nintendo Direct sometime this month. It would be like the E3 presentation, but a month late. It's about time we get one, so we'll finally know what games to expect later this year.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Anyhoo, Nintendo basically confirmed that for the Switch successor, they will stick with the hybrid concept. I think that's a better idea so they'd only focus on one console. They might be working on the idea for the Switch successor behind the scenes. If that comes into fruition within a few years or so, maybe we will get Splatoon 3 then. I'm guessing it will be a more powerful Switch that can handle even better graphics than any Nintendo console before.

Regarding Smash, in addition to Pearl and Marina Mii costumes, a Cap'n Cuttlefish Mii costume would also be neat to have. If we really can't have Octoling as a fighter for this installment, then they'll have to be Mii costumes too, and Octoling would have to be saved for the next installment, King K. Rool and Chrom had Mii costumes before, and they eventually joined the roster.

If Octoling does join the roster for this installment, then the Octoling amiibo that are already available would still give you the spirits. so in order to have an Octoling amiibo that functions like a fighter, you'd have to wait for the Smash series Octoling amiibo to become available.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Honestly I’m glad this thread is getting a bit more attention

lil veemo is happy

1594431561514.jpeg

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
so... a direct is definitely happening soon, likely this week

i wouldn't count on octolings tho unless they're part of a dual reveal

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
YOOOOO

Hope one of them is Squid vs Octo

and maybe we’ll get a Chaos vs Order rerun. Or Hero vs Villain? (Hero was robbed I tell you! ROBBED!)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
i think imma go chicken too

egg's shirt is cute but the ink color makes me nauseous lmao

plus after losing for Unicorn but winning for Chaos I'm probably not gonna pick the same side (Pearl or Marina) twice in a row

that is depending on which splatfest is reran after this

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Now that it's been 3 years since Splatoon 2 launched, they're doing more bonus Splatfests.

I thought that was a one time thing.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Now that it's been 3 years since Splatoon 2 launched, they're doing more bonus Splatfests.

I thought that was a one time thing.
The datamine pre mayo vs ketchup listed at least four more Splatfest placeholders I believe

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
A year ago, did the Final Fest mean anything? That wrapped things up perfectly. I thought they were done with Splatfests for this game, and yet they're still doing them anyway.

I thought Team Egg was totally robbed the first time. Many people chose Team Chicken solely because of white ink.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
A year ago, did the Final Fest mean anything? That wrapped things up perfectly. I thought they were done with Splatfests for this game, and yet they're still doing them anyway.

I thought Team Egg was totally robbed the first time. Many people chose Team Chicken solely because of white ink.
They’re all old ones to be fair, and with COVID-19 lockdowns and lack of new stuff from Nintendo possibly, it may help with boredom

plus there’s still that SAVE OUR SALMONS thing

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Still don't know if they'd do a few more updates, like more Octoling hairstyles, or a playable enemy Octoling. Most likely not. Another thing I wanted to have was when scanning a Pearl or Marina amiibo, they would add the option to play the Splatfest performance with the choice of five different styles: Normal, Splatoween, FrostyFest, SpringFest, and Final Fest Splatocalypse.

They probably still won't update the game any further.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Still don't know if they'd do a few more updates, like more Octoling hairstyles, or a playable enemy Octoling. Most likely not. Another thing I wanted to have was when scanning a Pearl or Marina amiibo, they would add the option to play the Splatfest performance with the choice of five different styles: Normal, Splatoween, FrostyFest, SpringFest, and Final Fest Splatocalypse.

They probably still won't update the game any further.
I want the final fest music (Ink Me Up, Shark Bytes, Spicy Calamari Inkantation (Splatfest edit), Now or Never (Squid Sisters) and Now or Never (Off the Hook feat. Squid Sisters)) to be added to Private Battle Splatfest stages when playing with friends

maybe also a small chance of Fly Octo Fly on the other PB Splatfest stages as well (MC Princess will still ONLY play Fly Octo Fly tho)

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
I want the final fest music (Ink Me Up, Shark Bytes, Spicy Calamari Inkantation (Splatfest edit), Now or Never (Squid Sisters) and Now or Never (Off the Hook feat. Squid Sisters)) to be added to Private Battle Splatfest stages when playing with friends

maybe also a small chance of Fly Octo Fly on the other PB Splatfest stages as well (MC Princess will still ONLY play Fly Octo Fly tho)
If they're trying to make Splatoon 2 relevant again, then they might as well give us some more updates to help break the monotony:

-More Octoling hairstyles
-Playable enemy Octoling
-Splatfest performance option (with five different styles) from Pearl and Marina amiibo

And the things you stated as well. With the third thing I listed there, you could play the Splatfest performance whenever you want, watching Pearl and Marina in their various outfits, with some of their outfits being seen only once ingame.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i think imma go chicken too

egg's shirt is cute but the ink color makes me nauseous lmao

plus after losing for Unicorn but winning for Chaos I'm probably not gonna pick the same side (Pearl or Marina) twice in a row

that is depending on which splatfest is reran after this
you guys got a unicorn one?

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Splatfests are like cockroaches. When you think they're gone, they don't stop coming back.

After the Final Fest, which was a year ago, I thought Splatfests were done, and I was set. It wrapped things up perfectly. I bet if it wasn't for COVID-19, we wouldn't be having these bonus Splatfests. They lied about the Mayo VS Ketchup rerun being a "one-off". Even after that, they still couldn't leave it alone. If they're still going to support the game, even a year after the Final Fest, why not give us some actual new updates? Maybe not more stages, but maybe some new gear? More Octoling hairstyles? The playable enemy Octoling can be added, but could only be accessed if you've cleared Octo Expansion. Maybe even bring back the Squid Jump game, and the others. More actual updates can help make the game more exciting, especially if we're not getting Splatoon 3 until we get the Switch successor.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Splatfests are like cockroaches. When you think they're gone, they don't stop coming back.

After the Final Fest, which was a year ago, I thought Splatfests were done, and I was set. It wrapped things up perfectly. I bet if it wasn't for COVID-19, we wouldn't be having these bonus Splatfests. They lied about the Mayo VS Ketchup rerun being a "one-off". Even after that, they still couldn't leave it alone. If they're still going to support the game, even a year after the Final Fest, why not give us some actual new updates? Maybe not more stages, but maybe some new gear? More Octoling hairstyles? The playable enemy Octoling can be added, but could only be accessed if you've cleared Octo Expansion. Maybe even bring back the Squid Jump game, and the others. More actual updates can help make the game more exciting, especially if we're not getting Splatoon 3 until we get the Switch successor.
i dont think they lied, just changed their minds. theyre probably to busy with new horizons to make any more updates

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Once is a coincidence.
Twice is a fluke.
But three times...

Also note that the Mario Tennis Aces open only had Nintendo coins as a prize, not download codes

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I wonder what re-ran Splatfest is next after Chicken vs Egg...

id like to see Action vs Comedy, Action got screwed

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Lately I’ve been thinking about the Splatfest codenamed SEL in the datamine... neither Mayo vs Ketchup nor Chicken vs Egg were it

it probably isn’t a rerun of Chaos vs Order either as that was codenamed SAI (from “Saigo”, the Japanese word for Final)

it’s clearly something special and will have a shifty rotation for the first day just like Final Fest

Last edited:

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
History has repeated itself. I lost to Team Chicken last time too, and now, it's happened AGAIN! Now, Team Egg will NEVER get revenge! You have no idea how humiliating this is. Now, we may never know what Marina would've said had Team Egg won. What a way to end my already hectic summer vacation. I'm greatly disgusted with the results of this one. They just couldn't leave it alone.

I'll just have to accept the fact that the Splatoon universe thinks the chicken came first. Marina tried to explain the science behind the contrary to Pearl, but Pearl arrogantly dismissed her with the Splatfest rules. It's just so embarrassing. Out of all Splatfests to bring back, it had to be THAT one, only to get the exact same results as before. Why couldn't the Final Fest really be the end? All these reruns did so far is give me negative flashbacks. I did win on Team Mayo the first time, but Team Ketchup got THEIR revenge, while Team Egg did not...

I'm just in a bad mood right now, and I needed to get this off my chest.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
History has repeated itself. I lost to Team Chicken last time too, and now, it's happened AGAIN! Now, Team Egg will NEVER get revenge! You have no idea how humiliating this is. Now, we may never know what Marina would've said had Team Egg won. What a way to end my already hectic summer vacation. I'm greatly disgusted with the results of this one. They just couldn't leave it alone.

I'll just have to accept the fact that the Splatoon universe thinks the chicken came first. Marina tried to explain the science behind the contrary to Pearl, but Pearl arrogantly dismissed her with the Splatfest rules. It's just so embarrassing. Out of all Splatfests to bring back, it had to be THAT one, only to get the exact same results as before. Why couldn't the Final Fest really be the end? All these reruns did so far is give me negative flashbacks. I did win on Team Mayo the first time, but Team Ketchup got THEIR revenge, while Team Egg did not...

I'm just in a bad mood right now, and I needed to get this off my chest.
to be fair, Egg's win dialogue kinda... sucked

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of chicken"? Really?

this is from the Splatoon wiki and the datamine, btw. Pearl's win dialogue is funnier

Top Bottom