• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escape to the Surface, Octolings for Smash + splatoon 3 discussion

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
You said there were other Mario characters who had it worse than Waluigi, but you didn't explain who. I'd like to get back on topic as soon as possible. Did you not know how to answer that?

If this continues to drag on, we'll have to carry on this conversation through PMs. It's creating a lot of unnecessary clutter.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You said there were other Mario characters who had it worse than Waluigi, but you didn't explain who. I'd like to get back on topic as soon as possible. Did you not know how to answer that?

If this continues to drag on, we'll have to carry on this conversation through PMs. It's creating a lot of unnecessary clutter.
oh sorry i thought you said "want me to name a few examples" that confused me. also i thought my avatar would have made that obvious

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
oh sorry i thought you said "want me to name a few examples" that confused me. also i thought my avatar would have made that obvious
Oh! Now I get it. Toad and Toadette. I've seen requests for Captain Toad. Now, we can get back on topic.

Where were we? (This was my last post before some confusion started):

There are five remaining packs in DLC Pass 2. All we can do is hope one of them contains a Splatoon character. Don't know if we should count on there being a third DLC pass once Pass 2 gets done. I wouldn't expect it. Smash 3DS/Wii U got seven DLC fighters. Three of them were returning veterans. Ultimate is having at least 11 DLC fighters; 12 if you include Piranha Plant. Once DLC Pass 2 gets done, we will have 88 fighters (including Echos), which means we're getting closer to 100. The 100th fighter would be a big deal. Assist Trophy promotions that should happen include Krystal, Spring Man, Isaac, and of course, Waluigi. If that can't happen in Ultimate, then the next installment for sure.

DLC Pass 1 ended with Byleth, a Fire Emblem character nobody asked for, just like Corrin. Byleth was also the only fighter in Pass 1 who wasn't third party. With Min Min being the start of Pass 2, it's good that we're getting first party characters again. Not that there was anything wrong with the third party characters (I think Spyro is currently the most-requested, alongside Crash). The most well-received addition from Pass 1 was definitely Banjo & Kazooie, as the bird and bear pair was one of the all-time most-requested fighters aside from Ridley and King K. Rool. The most-requested Assist Trophy promotion is Waluigi.

The first party character I want the most is Octoling. Back in the Smash 3DS/Wii U days, I was hoping for Delphox, but my favorite Pokemon never get lucky.
A few years ago, I did say things like nobody wants to play as the enemy Octolings, but now, I don't agree with what I said anymore. I'm starting to wish the enemy Octolings could also be playable, especially since we never got new Octoling hairstyles in Splatoon 2. None of them are even remotely similar to that of the enemy Octoling. It could be years before we get Splatoon 3, possibly for the eventual Switch successor. That's why I listed Enemy Octolings (Normal and Sanitized) as alts for Octoling to join with the boy and girl versions of Agent 8. That way, we'll have BOTH the protagonist, and enemy Octolings.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh! Now I get it. Toad and Toadette. I've seen requests for Captain Toad. Now, we can get back on topic.

the toads in all their forms have many fans, although we have developed a defeatist attitude unlike the waluigi and geno fans

A few years ago, I did say things like nobody wants to play as the enemy Octolings, but now, I don't agree with what I said anymore. I'm starting to wish the enemy Octolings could also be playable, especially since we never got new Octoling hairstyles in Splatoon 2. None of them are even remotely similar to that of the enemy Octoling. It could be years before we get Splatoon 3, possibly for the eventual Switch successor. That's why I listed Enemy Octolings (Normal and Sanitized) as alts for Octoling to join with the boy and girl versions of Agent 8. That way, we'll have BOTH the protagonist, and enemy Octolings.
ive always assumed enemy ones would be alts

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Would the enemy ones have the same proportions/hitboxes as the OE ones tho? The enemy’s octopus form is also different from the OE octopus form

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Would the enemy ones have the same proportions/hitboxes as the OE ones tho? The enemy’s octopus form is also different from the OE octopus form
i imagine the adjustments needed wouldnt be too bad to a team that made the koopalings all fit in the same size

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
The playable Octolings and enemy Octolings probably don't need that many adjustments to work in the same size. They managed to do that for Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings.

For Splatoon 3 speculation, I still wish the enemy Octolings could be playable in the Splatoon series. The playable Octolings we did get are completely different, not that there was anything wrong with Agent 8. Maybe in Splatoon 3, the playable Octolings can include the regular boy and girl Octolings (like Agent 8), and in addition to them, they make the enemy Octolings playable as well. They could call them "Ex-Enemy Octolings". That way, we'll have two different types of Octolings to play as. To start with, you can choose if you want to be an Inkling Boy, Inkling Girl, Octoling Boy, Octoling Girl, or Ex-Enemy Octoling.

For Splatoon 3, since more and more Octolings have been leaving the army to live the lives of the Inklings, Octolings can be playable right from the get-go, while Salmonlings can make their debut in something called the "Salmon Expansion". It would also be the first time Octolings would be playable in Hero Mode.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

so this is what they'll do with Spirit promotions, append (Fighter) to their Fighter Spirit
but since the OE Octoling Spirit is named Octoling Girl & Octoling Boy, they may just do Octoling Girl separately from Octoling Boy depending on whether they're using the female or male alt

Octoling Girl (Fighter)'s possible render:

Octoling Boy (Fighter)'s possible render:

Last edited:

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully soon, if not for another few months, we'll find out what's going to be in Pack 7.

It really sucks that we didn't get E3 this year. One major problem with that is that without a Nintendo Direct, we have no idea what games to expect later this year. How about a Nintendo Direct Mini? We got one of those in late March, which wasn't live, and it was sudden.

Even though Octoling Mii costumes would be the next best thing, it could mean that Octoling may not be playable in Smash until the next installment for the Switch successor. In Smash 3DS/Wii U, we got Inkling Mii costumes, plus a trophy, but the Inklings themselves weren't playable until this installment.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hopefully soon, if not for another few months, we'll find out what's going to be in Pack 7.

It really sucks that we didn't get E3 this year. One major problem with that is that without a Nintendo Direct, we have no idea what games to expect later this year. How about a Nintendo Direct Mini? We got one of those in late March, which wasn't live, and it was sudden.

Even though Octoling Mii costumes would be the next best thing, it could mean that Octoling may not be playable in Smash until the next installment for the Switch successor. In Smash 3DS/Wii U, we got Inkling Mii costumes, plus a trophy, but the Inklings themselves weren't playable until this installment.
I think if Octolings were gonna be Mii costumes it would have happened by now. Instead we got Callie and Marie which (mostly) emphasize Splatoon 1, which to me bodes well for the lil veemos

Maybe again we’ll get Pearl and Marina costumes with Octoling...?

as for Inkling in 4, I think they settled for Miis cause 4 was both on 3DS and Wii U and Inkling would have had graphical issues on the 3DS. It’s also why the Ice Climbers weren’t in 4

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think if Octolings were gonna be Mii costumes it would have happened by now. Instead we got Callie and Marie which (mostly) emphasize Splatoon 1, which to me bodes well for the lil veemos

Maybe again we’ll get Pearl and Marina costumes with Octoling...?

as for Inkling in 4, I think they settled for Miis cause 4 was both on 3DS and Wii U and Inkling would have had graphical issues on the 3DS. It’s also why the Ice Climbers weren’t in 4
they dont always release all the costumes from the same series at the same time. also it wasnt graphical problems it was gameplay

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
they dont always release all the costumes from the same series at the same time. also it wasnt graphical problems it was gameplay
It would involve loading a special “texture” so I guess it would include the graphics too? The 3DS probably couldn’t do the inking mechanic

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
That could very well be the reason why Inkling wasn't playable in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U. The 3DS probably couldn't handle the Inkling mechanics. It's the same reason Pokemon Trainer didn't return then because the transformations between Charizard, Ivysaur and Squirtle was problematic for the 3DS, so Pokemon Trainer was reduced to just Charizard, and Sakurai wanted both games to have an identical roster.

Maybe the reason we haven't already gotten Octoling Mii costumes by now is because we might be getting Octoling as a fighter somewhere in DLC Pass 2. Octoling can use different weapons than Inkling, like a Charger, so Octoling would not exactly be just a palette swap of Inkling. Octoling's Final Smash can be the Ink Jet, with some control to let you get underneath and above platforms.

Other possible first party characters include Bandana Waddle Dee from the Kirby series, and Dixie Kong from the Donkey Kong series. I mostly want Octoling from the Splatoon series. If there's any franchise that needs more representation in Smash, it's Splatoon.

Octoling would include the MC. Princess Diaries stage, and song tracks from the Octo Expansion, including Nasty Majesty, Shark Bytes, Fly Octo Fly, Into the Light, etc. Smash can definitely use a Splatoon 2 stage like the one I mentioned. Hyperbombs on the stage can be used to damage nearby fighters, while Pearl and Marina would be stage elements. It would be very nicely fitting to have Pearl and Marina Mii costumes as part of that wave.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That could very well be the reason why Inkling wasn't playable in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U. The 3DS probably couldn't handle the Inkling mechanics. It's the same reason Pokemon Trainer didn't return then because the transformations between Charizard, Ivysaur and Squirtle was problematic for the 3DS, so Pokemon Trainer was reduced to just Charizard, and Sakurai wanted both games to have an identical roster.

Maybe the reason we haven't already gotten Octoling Mii costumes by now is because we might be getting Octoling as a fighter somewhere in DLC Pass 2. Octoling can use different weapons than Inkling, like a Charger, so Octoling would not exactly be just a palette swap of Inkling. Octoling's Final Smash can be the Ink Jet, with some control to let you get underneath and above platforms.

Other possible first party characters include Bandana Waddle Dee from the Kirby series, and Dixie Kong from the Donkey Kong series. I mostly want Octoling from the Splatoon series. If there's any franchise that needs more representation in Smash, it's Splatoon.

Octoling would include the MC. Princess Diaries stage, and song tracks from the Octo Expansion, including Nasty Majesty, Shark Bytes, Fly Octo Fly, Into the Light, etc. Smash can definitely use a Splatoon 2 stage like the one I mentioned. Hyperbombs on the stage can be used to damage nearby fighters, while Pearl and Marina would be stage elements. It would be very nicely fitting to have Pearl and Marina Mii costumes as part of that wave.
I hope Fly Octo Fly uses the full minute of Ebb & Flow Octo. A little disappointed that the Now or Never songs were edited to like 20 seconds long.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
or maybe he didnt consider the inklings at all cause he was to busy thinking of how to justify another FE character and the demon hag

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
or maybe he didnt consider the inklings at all cause he was to busy thinking of how to justify another FE character and the demon hag
That could also be the case. Inkling may not have been considered at all until this installment.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So with Min Min breaking the Spirit barrier, Octolings almost seems like a lock if we get anymore Echo Fighters in this game.

Also, how would you guys feel about Octolings as a unique fighter in their own pack? I mean, it wouldn't be too far fetched since they first showed up as a DLC expansion in Splatoon 2.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
So with Min Min breaking the Spirit barrier, Octolings almost seems like a lock if we get anymore Echo Fighters in this game.

Also, how would you guys feel about Octolings as a unique fighter in their own pack? I mean, it wouldn't be too far fetched since they first showed up as a DLC expansion in Splatoon 2.
I’ve thought about this and I’d say you have to push the Splatoon mechanics pretty hard to make Octoling a fighter as unique as the rest of the DLC fighters. Octolings are defined by their adjacency to Inklings and don’t do anything that Inklings don’t do and vice versa. Sure you could swap around some weapons and call it a day but nothing about Octolings is going to net them a groundbreaking moveset since the Venn diagram of Inkling moveset potential and Octoling moveset potential is a flat circle. It’d be weird to suddenly go the distance for Octolings but leave Inklings with their barebones kitchenware set.

Characters like Pearl & Marina and Cap’n Cuttlefish have an inherent design prospect due to their design and canonical preferred weapons, but everything the Octolings are featured in makes them an equal to the Inklings. Unlike Dixie, who is defined by what she does tthat Diddy doesn’t and unlike Daisy, who can be defined by not doing what Peach does (with Ultimate dismissing this, but still), Octolings don’t have that aside from being another character to put Splatoon‘s style on. Even Octo Expansion, while bringing enough for a Spirit Board and Stage, doesn’t introduce a gameplay hook strong enough to make Octolings more than a blank slate to retry an Inkling moveset on.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I’ve thought about this and I’d say you have to push the Splatoon mechanics pretty hard to make Octoling a fighter as unique as the rest of the DLC fighters. Octolings are defined by their adjacency to Inklings and don’t do anything that Inklings don’t do and vice versa. Sure you could swap around some weapons and call it a day but nothing about Octolings is going to net them a groundbreaking moveset since the Venn diagram of Inkling moveset potential and Octoling moveset potential is a flat circle. It’d be weird to suddenly go the distance for Octolings but leave Inklings with their barebones kitchenware set.

Characters like Pearl & Marina and Cap’n Cuttlefish have an inherent design prospect due to their design and canonical preferred weapons, but everything the Octolings are featured in makes them an equal to the Inklings. Unlike Dixie, who is defined by what she does tthat Diddy doesn’t and unlike Daisy, who can be defined by not doing what Peach does (with Ultimate dismissing this, but still), Octolings don’t have that aside from being another character to put Splatoon‘s style on. Even Octo Expansion, while bringing enough for a Spirit Board and Stage, doesn’t introduce a gameplay hook strong enough to make Octolings more than a blank slate to retry an Inkling moveset on.
I mean if anyone can do the impossible, it's Sakurai.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

bit harsh

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
bit harsh
Well I think they’re the perfect candidate for an echo or an Inkling semiclone, that‘s why I’m saying it. Not a knock against them at all.

In my post also lies the answer though: Splatoon has enough content to make another unique set with, if you want. Thing then becomes to put those elements together in a set that has more value than “these are some more Splatoon weapons”

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master

I mean, this is an Octoling support thread, I thought the main goal is a unique fighter. While I’d be fine with an Echo if there’s no other way to it, I’m rooting more for a unique character with their own pack. Splatoon 2 and Octo Expansion have enough of material for an individual pack, and I feel like the different weapons are big enough of a change in the moveset compared to the Inkling’s. Not every DLC character has to showcase something ”groundbreaking”, as long as they’re fun to play as and somewhat popular (for them to sell lol). Splatoon has become so huge, especially in Japan, so I bet the brand alone would make an Octoling pack worthwhile.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well I think they’re the perfect candidate for an echo or an Inkling semiclone, that‘s why I’m saying it. Not a knock against them at all.

In my post also lies the answer though: Splatoon has enough content to make another unique set with, if you want. Thing then becomes to put those elements together in a set that has more value than “these are some more Splatoon weapons”
i agree they are ideal echo fighters but you can see why i thought sounded a tad mean

I mean, this is an Octoling support thread, I thought the main goal is a unique fighter. While I’d be fine with an Echo if there’s no other way to it, I’m rooting more for a unique character with their own pack. Splatoon 2 and Octo Expansion have enough of material for an individual pack, and I feel like the different weapons are big enough of a change in the moveset compared to the Inkling’s. Not every DLC character has to showcase something ”groundbreaking”, as long as they’re fun to play as and somewhat popular (for them to sell lol). Splatoon has become so huge, especially in Japan, so I bet the brand alone would make an Octoling pack worthwhile.
no the main goal of this thread is to drum up interest and to get them in regardless of what sort of fighter. in fact the original owner of this thread was suggesting them as echo fighters

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
i agree they are ideal echo fighters but you can see why i thought sounded a tad mean

no the main goal of this thread is to drum up interest and to get them in regardless of what sort of fighter. in fact the original owner of this thread was suggesting them as echo fighters
Rereading the post, yeah, I was really harsh on them when I didn’t mean to be! I just think their ideal potential is kind of that “Inkling but systematically swap out their weapons for the heavier variants” to bring up that aspect of Splatoon instead of trying to reinvent the wheel with a whole remix when they don’t have to.
One unique moveset they could do though is based on the Octarians’ various members, or one based on the Octobrush. That could give them a sense of direction while bringing something unique to the table.

EDIT; Can someone post? I have an idea for a moveset that I’d like to share

Last edited:

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Echo Fighters outside the pass would be nice, but it doesn't look like we're getting them. So far, all DLC fighters for this game have been completely unique. Octoling would work best as either an Echo, or a semiclone. Another Echo Fighter I would've liked is Ms. Pac-Man. For some reason, Dr. Mario is not considered an Echo Fighter.

Not even all the stages from Super Smash Bros. for Wii U made it in, including the Yoshi's Woolly World stage. One stage I miss is the Pac-Maze stage from Super Smash Bros. for 3DS. I don't know if they'll add in more stages from past installments either. The base version of this installment only had four new stages, but DLC has been fixing that. The new stage I want the most is one based on Splatoon 2.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Since my last post on them was pretty hard on them, here’s a few concepts for an Octoling moveset.

-Weapon Switching
You know how in Octo Expansion you’re getting the choice to pick from one of three weapons? We can do that here. Very similar to Min-Min, Octoling can swap their arsenal to either be light variants (Splattershot Jr, Luna Blaster, Carbon Roller, Tri-Slosher, Burst Bomb etc.) or heavy weapons (Splattershot Pro, Range Blaster, Dynamo Roller, Sloshing Machine, Suction Bomb etc.) These two “modes” change their entire weapon arsenal, but if they’re similar to Inkling most of their basic attacks are kicks anyway so it‘s not a full-on stance change. Obviously, featuring ”midweight” weapons would make them strictly better Inklings unless you really nerf them in other regards, so I think light/heavy alternation would make them more precise, but less all-round Inklings.

You can also make them an echo that just features one set of weapons across the board and thus making them “lighter” Inkling or “heavier” Inkling.

-Bomb Switching
In a similar vein, Splat Bomb could be a cycle like Peach’s Forward Smash or a swap-by-tapping hold-for-throwing featuring all kinds of ”bomb” subweapons. Again, Splat Bomb would be out (or not angleable, freeing room for that to swap bombs) since otherwise Octoling has strictly more options than Inkling.
Again, in a simpler Echo-approach, you can just swap out the Splat Bomb for a different variant.

-Ink
Either in combination with weapon switching or as a standalone idea, Octoling‘s moveset as Inkling derivative can tamper with ink reserves, either making everything cost more ink, less ink or not featuring ink in the set at all to make a Lucina-like “noob”-echo. In combination with weapon switching, heavy weapons could take more ink and light weapons can take less ink.

-C.Q Cumberbatch
Pichu-like gimmick where all of your moves are stronger than Inkling across the board, but the C.Q Cumberbatch on your shoulder damages you at intervals/with each strong move

-Octobrush
Inkling kicks, but Octolings could use their Octobrush for a more swordie approach

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Fingers crossed we get Octoling in one of the five remaining DLC packs. If not, we'll have to wait for the next installment, unless a third DLC pass does happen. Not sure if I should expect it. The game will already have two years of DLC since launch.

Splatoon 2 stopped having Splatfests after two years. The rematch in May was just a bonus. Don't really understand why they decided to have that 10 months after the Final Fest. I thought they were done supporting Splatoon 2. Are they testing the waters for Splatoon 3? Are we not getting Splatoon 3 on the Switch?

One of the major flaws in Splatoon 2 is that when you're at the waiting screen, you can't back out of it, forcing you to wait for either the match to start, or an error occurs. Once, I waited over 10 minutes. Also, the squid games (including Squid Jump) didn't return.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Splatoon 2 stopped having Splatfests after two years. The rematch in May was just a bonus. Don't really understand why they decided to have that 10 months after the Final Fest. I thought they were done supporting Splatoon 2. Are they testing the waters for Splatoon 3? Are we not getting Splatoon 3 on the Switch?
it was because the entire planet was in lockdown and everyone was doing online social events to help morale

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
it was because the entire planet was in lockdown and everyone was doing online social events to help morale
Oh. Now I get it. They decided to give us that bonus Splatfest because the entire planet was in the thick of the coronavirus pandemic, which has been going on for about four months now, and is likely going to go on all year long. Maybe even well into 2021. What could've been a fairly average year was ruined by this stupid virus. Now we're already in the second half of the most hectic year in recent times. That bonus Splatfest gave everyone something to do during stay-at-home mandates.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh. Now I get it. They decided to give us that bonus Splatfest because the entire planet was in the thick of the coronavirus pandemic, which has been going on for about four months now, and is likely going to go on all year long. Maybe even well into 2021. What could've been a fairly average year was ruined by this stupid virus. Now we're already in the second half of the most hectic year in recent times. That bonus Splatfest gave everyone something to do during stay-at-home mandates.
pretty much

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
We probably wouldn't have gotten that bonus Splatfest if it wasn't for the pandemic. In other words, if the pandemic didn't happen, that bonus Splatfest may have never come to be.

Maybe if Smash DLC does end after Pass 2, Sakurai could work on a new Kid Icarus game for the Switch, thus taking a break from Smash. He worked on Kid Icarus Uprising just before Smash 3DS/Wii U. I feel there's a good chance DLC would end once Pass 2 gets completed.

Like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, it would be nice if Mario Kart 9 would have every character that's ever been playable in Mario Kart (every main installment), so no more disappointments from character cuts. I thought that was a genius idea for this Smash installment. It's a bit disappointing that the only new Mii outfit in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was a Splatoon-themed one. Maybe Octoling can be playable in Mario Kart 9 as well.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We probably wouldn't have gotten that bonus Splatfest if it wasn't for the pandemic. In other words, if the pandemic didn't happen, that bonus Splatfest may have never come to be.

Maybe if Smash DLC does end after Pass 2, Sakurai could work on a new Kid Icarus game for the Switch, thus taking a break from Smash. He worked on Kid Icarus Uprising just before Smash 3DS/Wii U. I feel there's a good chance DLC would end once Pass 2 gets completed.
probably bot

i kinda want to see him make something new, i wanna see what else his odd imagination can crank out

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
If we're not getting Splatoon 3 until we get the Switch successor, what kind of games or special content will us Splatoon fans get? The Switch could be on the market and supported by Nintendo for at least another four years. I'm not sure I can wait that long. After next year, the Switch will already surpass the Wii U lifespan.

Octolings were going to be playable in the original Splatoon, but were cut because the developers wanted to properly introduce them story-wise, which we eventually got as the Octo Expansion. Splatoon 3 should introduce Salmonlings as the third playable species. Since all enemy Octolings are girls, I can imagine all enemy Salmonlings being boys. Octoling culture is female-dominated, so Salmonling culture can be male-dominated. Salmonling girls can be playable though, just like Octoling boys.

If Salmonlings get introduced officially, they can make the enemy Salmonlongs unlockable, and playable after clearing Splatoon 3 "Salmon Expansion", while Octolings get playable right from the get-go, like I said in another post, but now make the enemy Octolings playable as well. They can both be called "Ex-Enemy Octoling" and "Ex-Enemy Salmoning" with the Ex-Enemy Octoling being a girl, and the Ex-Enemy Salmonling being a boy.

After DLC Pass 2 gets completed, Sakurai could either announce a Pass 3, or end DLC for this game, and move on to his next project. I'm hoping this month, if not, next month for sure, we'll get an announcement for Challenger Pack 7.

Maybe I'm just repeating things from earlier posts. I'm just a man with interesting ideas I wish would become a reality. It's been a hectic year, with not much exciting going on, and I've been dying for more exciting news and updates.

Staarih

Smash Master
There have been murmur's of Splatoon spin-off games possibly happening, but that probably just originates from the fans wanting something new. I'm a firm believer that Splatoon will be a once-on-a-platform kinda game much like Mario Kart and Smash, and seeing how Splatoon 2 still keeps on selling (I feel like there hasn't been a week when Splatoon 2 hasn't been on the Top 10 in weekly Japan video game sales to this day), I think it makes sense. Should a Splatoon 3 come to Switch's successor, then yeah, I'd like to see the Salmonlings be experimented with more. I'm also interested in seeing how the last SplatFest of Order VS Chaos will tie into the sequel, seeing as the Callie VS Marie one in the original Splatoon had impact effect in Splatoon 2.

Regarding spin-offs, many people seem to suggest either rhythm games or fashion-related games, both of which are closely related to the aesthetics of Splatoon and I guess they could work. Not sure how much I'd be into those kinds of things, though a rhythm game I could give a try as I really enjoyed Rhythm Heaven.

Last edited:

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
As for making the Enemy Octolings playable, it really wouldn't make sense to make it an update for Splatoon 2, especially since it's been a year since the Final Fest. After the Final Fest, support for Splatoon 2 has been dormant. All weapon, gear, and stage additions have halted. The Octoling hairstyles still lack variety; none of them are even remotely similar to the enemy Octoling.

Splatoon 2 has been on the market for three years now, and is still selling like hotcakes; Japan in particular. Something has to come from this.

Top Bottom