• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escape to the Surface, Octolings for Smash + splatoon 3 discussion

airConditioner

Smash Ace
I played the demo and I loved it so I got the game haha

I made some alts instead of doing schoolwork:
Octoling Alts.png

1. Agent 8 (Octoling Magenta) 2. Octoling Boy based on this picture (Peach) 3. Sanitized Octoling (Soda) 4. Salmon Run (Dark Green) 5. Octoling Girl based on this picture(Burgundy) 6. Toni Kensa (Periwinkle) 7. Marina (Order Silver) 8. Pearl (Chaos Gold)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I played the demo and I loved it so I got the game haha

I made some alts instead of doing schoolwork:
View attachment 271870
1. Agent 8 (Octoling Magenta) 2. Octoling Boy based on this picture (Peach) 3. Sanitized Octoling (Soda) 4. Salmon Run (Dark Green) 5. Octoling Girl based on this picture(Burgundy) 6. Toni Kensa (Periwinkle) 7. Marina (Order Silver) 8. Pearl (Chaos Gold)
ooooh these are really creative! i love them!

my only suggestion is that the burgundy is too close to the magenta, and it's not known what toni kensa looks like. maybe Mayo Female and Ketchup Male to tie with Order Female and Chaos Male? First and last Splatfests?

Last edited:

airConditioner

Smash Ace
ooooh these are really creative! i love them!

my only suggestion is that the burgundy is too close to the magenta, and it's not known what toni kensa looks like. maybe Mayo Female and Ketchup Male to tie with Order Female and Chaos Male? First and last Splatfests?
Octoling Alts 2.png
Thanks for the suggestions!! I made an octoling stock icon a while back and I thought it could use a rework:) Mayo and Ketchup look a lot better than the previous ones and the Toni Kensa one is based on this picture haha

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Kinda think we’ll get some news after that...

also, Splatoon 2 and ARMS? They may plan to rerun more Crash Bashes in ARMS/more Splatfests in Splatoon 2...
Most curious that they’re including Splatoon 2 here... not just for the encore Splatfest

what if...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
so something dawned on me: in three days, it's the original splatoon's 5th (!) anniversary. Would explain Splatoon 2 being a tourney prize... and could give a reason for Octoling's inclusion...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so something dawned on me: in three days, it's the original splatoon's 5th (!) anniversary. Would explain Splatoon 2 being a tourney prize... and could give a reason for Octoling's inclusion...
try not to hold on to anniversaries being significant for smash, toad's got his 35th this year and i doubt theyll even blink

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
>Smash Bros and ARMS are prizes
>there’s an Octoling icon (except it’s the enemy ones from 1 & 2’s Hero Modes and not the playable ones from Octo Expansion, but still)

the plot thickens

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
>Smash Bros and ARMS are prizes
>there’s an Octoling icon (except it’s the enemy ones from 1 & 2’s Hero Modes and not the playable ones from Octo Expansion, but still)

the plot thickens
I'm not too sure about Octoling coming to smash but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

But besides that, the dates make me wonder if that's when Nintendo had some events in mind before things went downhill.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
the octoling mod has been updated, if Octolings become official fighters I can imagine their renders looking like this

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
so with the ARMS discussion, ppl have suggested that if Spring Man is our character, his AT could be altered to become Springtron instead when Springo is out on the field.

which gives me an idea - if ATs could be updated... what if the Squid Sisters AT got an update with Octoling to occasionally have Off The Hook perform instead...? I dreamt about it once actually

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so with the ARMS discussion, ppl have suggested that if Spring Man is our character, his AT could be altered to become Springtron instead when Springo is out on the field.

which gives me an idea - if ATs could be updated... what if the Squid Sisters AT got an update with Octoling to occasionally have Off The Hook perform instead...? I dreamt about it once actually
well the difference is that people suggest updating the springman assist out of some kind of perceived necessity which wouldnt be the case with the octolings and squid sisters. off the hook would be far more likely for background characters on a new stage

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
MIN MIN IS THE ARMS REP! AND SHES A SPIRIT WHICH MEANS...

SPIRITS NO LONGER DECONFIRM! LET’S GO ELMA!!!
Replace Elma in this sentence with Octolings and YEAH BABY

GIMME YOUR BIGGEST VEEMOS!!

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
GIMME YOUR BIGGEST VEEMOS!!
VEEMO
Seriously, I can't make text any bigger than size 26? This is outrageous.
Anyway, this is a big W for us. It's basically become cliche to say this now but the 'Spirits deconfirm' argument was always dumb and I'm glad it's now gone. And Min Min looks very unique.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
VEEMO
Seriously, I can't make text any bigger than size 26? This is outrageous.
Anyway, this is a big W for us. It's basically become cliche to say this now but the 'Spirits deconfirm' argument was always dumb and I'm glad it's now gone. And Min Min looks very unique.
ALSO

we got Callie and Marie costumes

what if they’re saving Pearl (Gunner because Dualies) and Marina (Swordfighter because Brella) costumes for Octoling...?

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I'll be honest; I'm not a fan of the Callie and Marie Mii costumes. They just look off. But, I'm glad they are getting more attention at least.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Now that we got Callie and Marie Mii costumes, that begs the question. Are we getting Pearl and Marina Mii costumes further down?

If Octoling can't be a fighter, will we get Octoling Mii costumes in the near future? We still have no idea what to expect for Pack 7. We may not know until fall.

They announced Pack 6 would have an ARMS character three months in advance. I'm really hoping one of the upcoming packs will have another Splatoon character.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
If Octoling does become a fighter, here's how Octoling alts and costumes can be implemented in Smash:

-Agent 8 Girl
-Agent 8 Boy

-Agent 8 Girl (with ponytail)
-Agent 8 Boy (with afro)

-Enemy Octoling
-Enemy Octoling (with kelp)

-Sanitized Octoling
-Sanitized Octoling (with kelp)

All for the same character. Octoling would have a variety of alts to choose from.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If Octoling does become a fighter, here's how Octoling alts and costumes can be implemented in Smash:

-Agent 8 Girl
-Agent 8 Boy

-Agent 8 Girl (with ponytail)
-Agent 8 Boy (with afro)

-Enemy Octoling
-Enemy Octoling (with kelp)

-Sanitized Octoling
-Sanitized Octoling (with kelp)

All for the same character. Octoling would have a variety of alts to choose from.
indeed there so much potential

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
ALSO

we got Callie and Marie costumes

what if they’re saving Pearl (Gunner because Dualies) and Marina (Swordfighter because Brella) costumes for Octoling...?
I legit got scared when I saw the Callie and Marie costumes because I could have sworn they were already costumed, so when I saw ink I went "ah **** there goes the Octoling". Glad to have been wrong.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
I think what would make a great Octo Expansion stage would be a platform going around the ruined NILS statue. Sometimes, Hyperbombs can be dropped on the stage for players to use to attack. Every few minutes, Pearl can come down to point her Killer Wail to whoever she chooses, and fire with all her might.

"BOOYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!"

Paraster

Smash Lord
Unpopular opinion: the Callie and Marie Miis are all right. They're only slightly off. Much better than the Miis that modeled the Smash 4 Inkling costumes.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think what would make a great Octo Expansion stage would be a platform going around the ruined NILS statue. Sometimes, Hyperbombs can be dropped on the stage for players to use to attack. Every few minutes, Pearl can come down to point her Killer Wail to whoever she chooses, and fire with all her might.

"BOOYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!"
I mean the final fest stage (MC. Princess Diaries) does just that so convert that to a Smash stage and bam

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean the final fest stage (MC. Princess Diaries) does just that so convert that to a Smash stage and bam
yeah be we already have multi player stage in smash, so they should go for something different like single player or salmon run

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
yeah be we already have multi player stage in smash, so they should go for something different like single player or salmon run
I'm not sure if single player mode has enough interesting things to work with to make a stage in Smash, but Salmon Run might work as a stage. The most interesting way to make another Splatoon stage in Smash would be either that, or convert MC. Princess Diaries to a Smash stage. The latter would be especially more suitable if Octoling gets added, with Pearl and Marina Mii costumes, and song tracks including Nasty Majesty, Shark Bytes, Fly Octo Fly, Into the Light, etc.

Now that we know that spirits do not deconfirm fighters, does Octoling have a better chance now? I'm still not so sure. So far, every DLC fighter for this game has been completely unique. No matter how hard I try, I just can't think of a way to make Octoling's moveset that much different from Inkling's. No Echo Fighters have been added outside the base roster.

If two alts are Octoling Girl, two Octoling Boy, two Enemy Octoling, and two Sanitized Octoling, it would use three different IDs for the same character, not four because the regular Enemy Octoling and the Sanitized Octoling would both use the same model with a different color scheme.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm not sure if single player mode has enough interesting things to work with to make a stage in Smash, but Salmon Run might work as a stage. The most interesting way to make another Splatoon stage in Smash would be either that, or convert MC. Princess Diaries to a Smash stage. The latter would be especially more suitable if Octoling gets added, with Pearl and Marina Mii costumes, and song tracks including Nasty Majesty, Shark Bytes, Fly Octo Fly, Into the Light, etc.

Now that we know that spirits do not deconfirm fighters, does Octoling have a better chance now? I'm still not so sure. So far, every DLC fighter for this game has been completely unique. No matter how hard I try, I just can't think of a way to make Octoling's moveset that much different from Inkling's. No Echo Fighters have been added outside the base roster.

If two alts are Octoling Girl, two Octoling Boy, two Enemy Octoling, and two Sanitized Octoling, it would use three different IDs for the same character, not four because the regular Enemy Octoling and the Sanitized Octoling would both use the same model with a different color scheme.
Pearl and Marina (OE versions) could also be stage elements for MC. Princess Diaries as aforementioned

as for alts, see airConditioner airConditioner 's second mockup. OE Girl and Boy, Sanitized Girl, Salmon Run Boy, Mayo Girl, Ketchup Boy, Order Girl and Chaos Boy. it's PERFECTO

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Pearl and Marina (OE versions) could also be stage elements for MC. Princess Diaries as aforementioned

as for alts, see airConditioner airConditioner 's second mockup. OE Girl and Boy, Sanitized Girl, Salmon Run Boy, Mayo Girl, Ketchup Boy, Order Girl and Chaos Boy. it's PERFECTO
I've seen it. Either could work. Though, my idea would have both the playable Octolings from the game, and the enemy Octolings. Nothing against airConditioner's mockup, though. It's still good.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
that is single player mode

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

As for the second paragraph I do think Octolings have a chance. They can be a lot more unique, using different weapons than the inklings. They can at max share the ink mechanic and up B and still not be considered an Echo.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
There are five remaining packs in DLC Pass 2. All we can do is hope one of them contains a Splatoon character. Don't know if we should count on there being a third DLC pass once Pass 2 gets done. I wouldn't expect it. Smash 3DS/Wii U got seven DLC fighters. Three of them were returning veterans. Ultimate is having at least 11 DLC fighters; 12 if you include Piranha Plant. Once DLC Pass 2 gets done, we will have 88 fighters (including Echos), which means we're getting closer to 100. The 100th fighter would be a big deal. Assist Trophy promotions that should happen include Krystal, Spring Man, Isaac, and of course, Waluigi. If that can't happen in Ultimate, then the next installment for sure.

DLC Pass 1 ended with Byleth, a Fire Emblem character nobody asked for, just like Corrin. Byleth was also the only fighter in Pass 1 who wasn't third party. With Min Min being the start of Pass 2, it's good that we're getting first party characters again. Not that there was anything wrong with the third party characters (I think Spyro is currently the most-requested, alongside Crash). The most well-received addition from Pass 1 was definitely Banjo & Kazooie, as the bird and bear pair was one of the all-time most-requested fighters aside from Ridley and King K. Rool. The most-requested Assist Trophy promotion is Waluigi.

The first party character I want the most is Octoling. Back in the Smash 3DS/Wii U days, I was hoping for Delphox, but my favorite Pokemon never get lucky.

Last edited:
Top Bottom