• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escape to the Surface, Octolings for Smash + splatoon 3 discussion

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's gone now, so it must have been an accident.

Adding to this, Nintendo UK's website now lists server maintenance for Switch on the 21st of April from approximately 02:00 BST to 04:00 BST (for PT, that would be 20th April 18:00 to 20:00). Since Nintendo JP's original announcement said 'around the end of April 2020', this seems like the right time.
On a side note, I would've brought up the US maintenance schedule if I could actually find it on Nintendo of America's website. Did the search function have to not work properly?
I gotchu

406CBEDA-BD24-48AB-B01A-FE4E5343002F.png

yes this is the NA page, I just searched “Nintendo server maintenance” as I live in the USA

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh they were so close with Xenoblade... should have been Elma from X. Rex and Pyra missed their chance imo, with music from 2 already in base, as I have a theory that installments/series WITHOUT music in base are far more likely than with.
surely though the same logic will apply to spirits and they have spirits

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Add me to the list.

I previously would have said Octolings should have been an echo. And I'm not convinced that would have been the wrong choice.

However, given much reflection, I now expect most- maybe all- of this current fighter pass to be First Party. I think even Byleth may have been forced up to fighter pass 5 in order to get a character out. Covid has made meetings impossible to be in-person for quite some time in Japan, and that is what I believe Sakurai has gone on record to require in order for collaboration.

That all being said- My list of predictions cannot exclude a new character from Splatoon. Particularly if a new game comes out within the next two years.

I'm gonna shoot into the wind and guess:

- Pokemon
- Donkey Kong
- ARMS
- Splatoon
- Zelda
- Chibi Robo
- Balloon Fighter

I know that is 7... but I'm also guessing Nintendo will throw us a season 3 fighter pass- if for no other reason than $$$ and to spread joy in a critical global time.

All this said... I don't see how an Octoling could be made to feel truly unique. I would expect it to need to be like Isabelle/Villager, or Fox/Falco/Wolf, where they are fully unique, but feel to be variations on a theme (and that is perfectly acceptable).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Add me to the list.

I previously would have said Octolings should have been an echo. And I'm not convinced that would have been the wrong choice.

However, given much reflection, I now expect most- maybe all- of this current fighter pass to be First Party. I think even Byleth may have been forced up to fighter pass 5 in order to get a character out. Covid has made meetings impossible to be in-person for quite some time in Japan, and that is what I believe Sakurai has gone on record to require in order for collaboration.

That all being said- My list of predictions cannot exclude a new character from Splatoon. Particularly if a new game comes out within the next two years.

- Pokemon
- Donkey Kong
- ARMS
- Splatoon
- Zelda
- Chibi Robo
- Balloon Fighter

I know that is 7... but I'm also guessing Nintendo will throw us a season 3 fighter pass- if for no other reason than $$$ and to spread joy in a critical global time.

All this said... I don't see how an Octoling could be made to feel truly unique. I would expect it to need to be like Isabelle/Villager, or Fox/Falco/Wolf, where they are fully unique, but feel to be variations on a theme (and that is perfectly acceptable).
I'd throw Xenoblade in there too myself

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'd throw Xenoblade in there too myself
It's a sure possibility. I would think it would have come out already- but I know how prominently these RPG heroes get featured.

Praying for a #GoldenSunday

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Add me to the list.

- Pokemon
- Donkey Kong
- ARMS
- Splatoon
- Zelda
- Chibi Robo
- Balloon Fighter

youve been added

well the character decisions were made before the pandemic and we dont know how far along the licencing process was and we dont know how much could be done at home if it wasnt done yet, i dont think itll be most 1st party and im beyond convinced that chibi has no chance now

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
youve been added

well the character decisions were made before the pandemic and we dont know how far along the licencing process was and we dont know how much could be done at home if it wasnt done yet, i dont think itll be most 1st party and im beyond convinced that chibi has no chance now
chibi as in chibi robo?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
youve been added

They were indeed made before the pandemic- but that's no reason to think that they wouldn't be affected by the pandemic. Since there is... not an aspect of living on Earth (as far as I can deduce) that is unaffected by this.

chibi as in chibi robo?
Yes- the user was quoting me, and I suggest Chibi Robo. It's still a bit of a pipe dream. But I do think there is a soft spot in the game for him. Not to mention the unique factor.

I do miss new Nintendo series being added- they always have such quirky characters. Just going to throw out my list again of series I'd love to see:

Chibi Robo, Golden Sun, Balloon Fighter, Excite Bike, 'Wars.
One day...well... I guess this pass or naught.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
They were indeed made before the pandemic- but that's no reason to think that they wouldn't be affected by the pandemic. Since there is... not an aspect of living on Earth (as far as I can deduce) that is unaffected by this.
im not saying they wouldnt be affected by the pandemic at all im saying we dont know how it will affect them

I do miss new Nintendo series being added- they always have such quirky characters. Just going to throw out my list again of series I'd love to see:

Chibi Robo, Golden Sun, Balloon Fighter, Excite Bike, 'Wars.
One day...well... I guess this pass or naught.
you and me both, those would all be great inclusions

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
yo

YO

YO!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARMS rep in Smash = one more Party Crash encore to get ppl invested in ARMS

one more Splatfest encore...?

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
yo

YO

YO!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARMS rep in Smash = one more Party Crash encore to get ppl invested in ARMS

one more Splatfest encore...?

Woke up to this and was very intrigued by how they're just re-running a Splatfest out of nowhere. I was always of the belief that the Final Fest was, well, the final Splatfest and absolutely no more would be done until the next game. This seems to break that.

What I'm concerned about is that all the sudden ARMS promotion has led people (myself included) to believe that this is all to hype up an ARMS 2. If this is true, then now they're suddenly promoting Splatoon, which would mean Splatoon 3 is on the way. While I'd be super excited, it would be at the exact same time as ARMS 2, confirming that Nintendo just really want ARMS to fail. Did they not realise that one of the main reasons ARMS failed was because it launched just a month before Splatoon 2?

But if this means another Smash rep, I'm also excited. Although putting another Splatoon character in Fighters Pass vol. 2 alongside the ARMS character would result in outcries of 'MARKETING SHILL!', it's already been made clear that Nintendo and Sakurai don't care.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The gaming industry is blowing up right now, as more people are stuck at home, isolated, afraid.

It's a shame this happens as the hardware becomes harder and harder to get, and shortages continue to worsen.

But more reasons to play all these games- thats a Martha Stewart good thing!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Woke up to this and was very intrigued by how they're just re-running a Splatfest out of nowhere. I was always of the belief that the Final Fest was, well, the final Splatfest and absolutely no more would be done until the next game. This seems to break that.

What I'm concerned about is that all the sudden ARMS promotion has led people (myself included) to believe that this is all to hype up an ARMS 2. If this is true, then now they're suddenly promoting Splatoon, which would mean Splatoon 3 is on the way. While I'd be super excited, it would be at the exact same time as ARMS 2, confirming that Nintendo just really want ARMS to fail. Did they not realise that one of the main reasons ARMS failed was because it launched just a month before Splatoon 2?

But if this means another Smash rep, I'm also excited. Although putting another Splatoon character in Fighters Pass vol. 2 alongside the ARMS character would result in outcries of 'MARKETING SHILL!', it's already been made clear that Nintendo and Sakurai don't care.
They’ve already cried “MARKETING SHILL” with Byleth so

I say bring on more of that delicious salt

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
THE RIDE NEVER ENDS

THEYRE GONNA RERUN ANOTHER SPLATFEST AFTER MAYO VS KETCHUP... OR PERHAPS...?

for real tho imagine if they redo Squid vs Octopus... to celebrate Octoling in Smash.

this may as well be lowkey a Splatoon 2 thread at this point

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
I think that may in part be due to me. Sorry for anyone who needs an apology.

On another topic, to be honest, I'm not really a fan of rerunning Splatfests, mostly because I just don't like Splatfests in general. I don't like Turf War, night stages are flawed in practice (The Europe-exclusive Kid vs. Grown-up Splatfest gave me PTSD because I was on Team Kid and Team Grown-up's ink colour was too dark to see on the night stages) and they cause tons of salt and petty arguments online. In addition, this came completely out of nowhere and feels like it wasn't planned at all (especially after the Final Fest). What are Nintendo trying to achieve by doing this? Is this meant to tease or hype up Splatoon 3? Are they just trying to rewrite history by changing the results of previous Splatfests? Not gonna lie, that would make for a very interesting plot for Splatoon 3.

for real tho imagine if they redo Squid vs Octopus... to celebrate Octoling in Smash.
They could also redo Heroes vs. Villains since that was done to celebrate Ultimate's launch and, by extension, Inkling's debut in Smash. Inb4 they redo Chaos vs. Order.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

On another topic, to be honest, I'm not really a fan of rerunning Splatfests, mostly because I just don't like Splatfests in general. I don't like Turf War, night stages are flawed in practice (The Europe-exclusive Kid vs. Grown-up Splatfest gave me PTSD because I was on Team Kid and Team Grown-up's ink colour was too dark to see on the night stages) and they cause tons of salt and petty arguments online. In addition, this came completely out of nowhere and feels like it wasn't planned at all (especially after the Final Fest). What are Nintendo trying to achieve by doing this? Is this meant to tease or hype up Splatoon 3? Are they just trying to rewrite history by changing the results of previous Splatfests? Not gonna lie, that would make for a very interesting plot for Splatoon 3.

They could also redo Heroes vs. Villains since that was done to celebrate Ultimate's launch and, by extension, Inkling's debut in Smash. Inb4 they redo Chaos vs. Order.
Watch as they hand wave different rerun results by Off the Hook straight up breaking the fourth wall and saying “remember tho this isn’t canon”

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
THE RIDE NEVER ENDS

THEYRE GONNA RERUN ANOTHER SPLATFEST AFTER MAYO VS KETCHUP... OR PERHAPS...?

lets try not to get ahead of ourselves

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I would love to have more Splatfests. I need to redownload the game!
That's always how I end up stopping playing, my memory card is only 128, and I own many many games.

I wish there were several slots for games. #SwitchPro

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I would love to have more Splatfests. I need to redownload the game!
That's always how I end up stopping playing, my memory card is only 128, and I own many many games.

I wish there were several slots for games. #SwitchPro
they'll probably just do reruns, or at the very least "localizing" other regions' fests. They may bring the EU-exclusive Front vs Back Roll splatfest to the US, or localize the JP exclusive Tsubuan vs Koshian splatfest under a different name, just reusing the colors

also if China approves Splatoon 2, they MIGHT do some special ones for China, but im not counting on that

all I know is I'm going Marina this time and picking Team Ketchup, I got Splatoon 2 very late and only did 2 Splatfests picking Pearl's side. Unicorn vs Narhwal (lost), and Chaos vs Order (WON).

NeonVoid

Smash Journeyman
Count me on this list for support! I love Splatoon and I think Octolings would be a great addition!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Nice to see this thread finally found its new owner. I still miss BluePikmin a bit, but you're a worthy successor Fog.

I do wonder though, are you gonna change the title? Sneaking through the ink last minute was made in reference to the idea of it being and echo fighter who was made last minute. Wouldn't really feel sneaky or last minute unless maybe it was the final fighter pass character

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Nice to see this thread finally found its new owner. I still miss BluePikmin a bit, but you're a worthy successor Fog.

I do wonder though, are you gonna change the title? Sneaking through the ink last minute was made in reference to the idea of it being and echo fighter who was made last minute. Wouldn't really feel sneaky or last minute unless maybe it was the final fighter pass character
thanks but ive been in charge for a while now

i was waiting for the right amount of time to pass before i did that

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
One thing that would hype me up significantly about an Octoling reveal:
the stage.

Splatoon is such a fun game, and the stages are a huge part of this. Having a second stage from Splatoon could add even more variety than the Octopath character.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
One thing that would hype me up significantly about an Octoling reveal:
the stage.

Splatoon is such a fun game, and the stages are a huge part of this. Having a second stage from Splatoon could add even more variety than the Octopath character.
...Octopath? Im guessing you meant Octoling

but omg i NEED MC. Princess Diaries, it's the Final Fest Shifty Station and has the ruins of the NILS statue in the background

plus, Pearl as a stage element with the Princess Cannon... imagine her BOOYAAAAAHHHHH-ing your enemies

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
...Octopath? Im guessing you meant Octoling

but omg i NEED MC. Princess Diaries, it's the Final Fest Shifty Station and has the ruins of the NILS statue in the background

plus, Pearl as a stage element with the Princess Cannon... imagine her BOOYAAAAAHHHHH-ing your enemies
I did- but actually this made me realize I should go continue playing Octopath.
I'd play so much more often if I didn't need to keep redownloading the games.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I am not sure about getting full new installments of both Splatoon and ARMS seems a bit early especially for both at the same time.

Also ARMS didn't fail. It did great for a new IP in a less popular genre. Success like Splatoon is the exception, not the norm. I think early on in the Switch's life the regular 1st party releases really helped the system.

A part of me thinks these new game events are just to drum up interest in the online service.... But who knows.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You can now pick a side for Mayo vs Ketchup!

speaking of which...

Top Bottom