• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escape to the Surface, Octolings for Smash + splatoon 3 discussion

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
yeah but i really seems like sakurai has a thing for fire emblem so lets get our hopes in check
I noticed Byleth reuses a couple animations. it may be that they were easier to make, just like how Octolings would be using Inkling as a base (not necessarily an Echo)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I noticed Byleth reuses a couple animations. it may be that they were easier to make, just like how Octolings would be using Inkling as a base (not necessarily an Echo)
using other characters as a based is a common practice i think so its probably bound to happen

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I was actually debating adding this to my Octoling trailer concept

after the logo, which has the Super Smash Bros. part all retro wave chrome-y like the word “Octo” in Octo Expansion and the “Ultimate” neon like the word “Expansion”

I was thinking of cutting to another CGI where Pearl stands before Galeem as the music in that final scene after inking the NILS statue plays, she says “AYO, LIGHT THINGY!”, whips out the Princess Cannon and the whole BOOYAAAAAHHH and stuff but instead of Tartar’s ink it’s Galeem’s light, and it looks like Pearl’s about to lose like last time but before we can see the results, it cuts to black and the copyright credits

what do y’all think?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
as I was saying...
Hey so

Elma/Fiora/Black Shadow/Octoling intensifies

BAM.

Octoling wouldn't have the issues say Rex/Spring Man/Akira Howard would have mechanic wise, just use Inkling as a base and maybe give them a few differing weapons like Chargers or Dualies and you're good to go! Also the Spirit named Octoling (found in WoL in the Light Realm) is technically of the Octoling Enemy variant so just rename that one "Octoling (Enemy)". The OE Octoling Spirit, Octoling Girl & Octoling Boy, is found in the Dark Realm and maybe that can stay named that way as the two gender variants would get their own Fighter Spirits, and they'd come with much more OE Spirits like CQ, Iso Padre, and Off the Hook in their OE wear

also a random thought: what if Octoling's Spirit Board played this song:

like honestly I expect them to go all out with OE references, not just the music

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Nerkama

Smash Rookie
Somehow didn't find this until today, but I wish to support Octoling for smash as well. Although, I'm curious what a zoning variant would look like in contrast to the melee inkling we have right now, utilizing more of the chargers in conjunction with Splatling and brella

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Somehow didn't find this until today, but I wish to support Octoling for smash as well. Although, I'm curious what a zoning variant would look like in contrast to the melee inkling we have right now, utilizing more of the chargers in conjunction with Splatling and brella
oh! dualies too! with the whole dodge feature!

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
I was kind of thinking the same thing; there's enough potential for a completely unique moveset. Here are some of my random, probably incohesive ideas:
  • Side tilt is a one-two Octobrush swing, a bit like Meta Knight's side tilt
  • Forward air is the vertical roller swing from Splatoon 2
  • Down air is a stall-and-fall similar to the Splashdown animation
  • Down B could be either a Curling Bomb, Autobomb or Ink Mine
  • Up or side smash is the Heavy Splatling
  • Pummel inks the opponent instead of forward throw (I know, massive creative change)
Anyway I'd be down with them, and I still believe they have a bit of a chance despite Spirits. They could easily rename the existing 'Octoling Boy and Girl' Spirit 'Agent 8 (Male and Female)' or something along those lines.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I was kind of thinking the same thing; there's enough potential for a completely unique moveset. Here are some of my random, probably incohesive ideas:
  • Side tilt is a one-two Octobrush swing, a bit like Meta Knight's side tilt
  • Forward air is the vertical roller swing from Splatoon 2
  • Down air is a stall-and-fall similar to the Splashdown animation
  • Down B could be either a Curling Bomb, Autobomb or Ink Mine
  • Up or side smash is the Heavy Splatling
  • Pummel inks the opponent instead of forward throw (I know, massive creative change)
Anyway I'd be down with them, and I still believe they have a bit of a chance despite Spirits. They could easily rename the existing 'Octoling Boy and Girl' Spirit 'Agent 8 (Male and Female)' or something along those lines.
If anything the fighter spirits could be named "Octoling Girl" and "Octoling Boy" respectively. They'd sooner change the Spirit that's just named "Octoling" to "Octoling (Enemy)" since it's of the enemy Octoling from the main campaign

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Someone did an Octoling mod on Twitter. Looks awesome!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Someone did an Octoling mod on Twitter. Looks awesome!

Well that looks amazing!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There’s more!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There’s more!
i may not be a fan of mods but that is impressive work

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
you know I kinda hope Octoling is FP8, if only because you know... 8

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It’s been more than 24 hours since my last post so I shouldn’t get penalized for this

but apparently, we’re getting an ARMS rep

that’s right

An ARMS rep is FP6.

We don’t know who it is though. Will Spring Man be the first Assist Trophy promoted to playable in the same game (cue salt from ppl who wanted Waluigi or Isaac first)? Will Ribbon Girl be a beacon of hope for Rex supporters who got a costume of their boy for FPV1? Will it be a Spirit like Ninjara, Min Min or Twintelle? Or will it be someone who’s neither like Mechanica or Dr. Coyle?

either way, ARMS is getting another shot at the roster, and that game came out in 2017. Splatoon 2 also came out that year, and the Octo Expansion in 2018.

Our babies can still make it! Lemme hear some Veemo and Oomi!

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
veemo oomi

Seriously though, an ARMS rep as CP6 is a big deal for me because whoever it is, it breaks a fanmade rule. Either Spring Man gets in, which breaks the 'no Assist Trophies' rule, or he doesn't get in, which breaks the 'main protagonist/mascot first' rule. Not to mention that Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Twintelle and Ninjara, some of the most popular ARMS characters, are all Spirits and would therefore break the 'no Spirits' rule.
I think we kind of need one of these to be broken because a lot of fan-made rules are stupid and this would remind the fans who make them up. Still don't want Waluigi to have a chance.

I also like this because I don't care who gets in and just care that they're fun to play as and against, but Octoling is probably the only character that I actually am in full support for. Seeing this just gives me hope that they can still be recognised.

P.S. I find it really funny that Nintendo are all of a sudden promoting ARMS so much, long after content updates for the game finished. A Game Trial for Switch Online members, an online tournament and a Smash character. Maybe they're planning a sequel and are doing this to see if people still care about the franchise.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
veemo oomi

Seriously though, an ARMS rep as CP6 is a big deal for me because whoever it is, it breaks a fanmade rule. Either Spring Man gets in, which breaks the 'no Assist Trophies' rule, or he doesn't get in, which breaks the 'main protagonist/mascot first' rule. Not to mention that Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Twintelle and Ninjara, some of the most popular ARMS characters, are all Spirits and would therefore break the 'no Spirits' rule.
I think we kind of need one of these to be broken because a lot of fan-made rules are stupid and this would remind the fans who make them up. Still don't want Waluigi to have a chance.

I also like this because I don't care who gets in and just care that they're fun to play as and against, but Octoling is probably the only character that I actually am in full support for. Seeing this just gives me hope that they can still be recognised.

P.S. I find it really funny that Nintendo are all of a sudden promoting ARMS so much, long after content updates for the game finished. A Game Trial for Switch Online members, an online tournament and a Smash character. Maybe they're planning a sequel and are doing this to see if people still care about the franchise.
There’s also “no villains first” which would be broken with Dr. Coyle and open the gates for the likes of Heihachi, Nightmare (Soul Calibur) and Monokuma

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Should be okay to post here again as it's been well over 24 hours since my last post. (Just wish this thread was more active and had more supporters... ppl sleeping on the octo babs for real)

Isn't Splatoon 2 supposed to get a "major" update this month? Several months after Final Fest no less?

Given the SAVE OUR SALMONS teaser pic we got in January, it might be some big Salmon Run update. and at the very least PLEASE add the remaining Final Fest music into the Private Battle Splatfest rotation (Shark Bytes, Ink Me Up, Now or Never (Squid Sisters), Now or Never (Off The Hook AND Squid Sisters), Spicy Calamari Inkantation edit, and maybe a small chance of Fly Octo Fly ~ Ebb & Flow (Octo) on stages other than MC. Princess Diaries)

with how much attention Splatoon 2 is getting even now tho, I do have hope for Octolings in Smash

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Isn't Splatoon 2 supposed to get a "major" update this month? Several months after Final Fest no less?
I'm pretty sure all updates after the Final Fest are just balance patches.

On that topic, I find it funny how, back when version 5.1.0 was announced in November or whenever it was, many players mistook this for a new content update and overreacted to it a ton, saying stuff like 'Christmas came early' and 'IT LIVES', clearly missing the part where it said this was nothing more than a balance patch. Anyway, rant over, and this wasn't directed at anyone on here.

That said, I find it weird that, back when 5.1.0 was announced, they also said they were planning another balance patch for April, which was 4-5 months away. I'm no game developer, but I highly doubt it takes that long to create a mere balance patch. Still sceptical this update is going to be any more than that, though.

Edit: Forgot to say that, from what it seems, the 'SAVE OUR SALMONS' message was, unfortunately, likely meaningless. Would love to be proven wrong, though, as I really want Splatoon 3 to happen. I just don't want it to be another 'missing Marina' situation.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm pretty sure all updates after the Final Fest are just balance patches.

On that topic, I find it funny how, back when version 5.1.0 was announced in November or whenever it was, many players mistook this for a new content update and overreacted to it a ton, saying stuff like 'Christmas came early' and 'IT LIVES', clearly missing the part where it said this was nothing more than a balance patch. Anyway, rant over, and this wasn't directed at anyone on here.

That said, I find it weird that, back when 5.1.0 was announced, they also said they were planning another balance patch for April, which was 4-5 months away. I'm no game developer, but I highly doubt it takes that long to create a mere balance patch. Still sceptical this update is going to be any more than that, though.

Edit: Forgot to say that, from what it seems, the 'SAVE OUR SALMONS' message was, unfortunately, likely meaningless. Would love to be proven wrong, though, as I really want Splatoon 3 to happen. I just don't want it to be another 'missing Marina' situation.
got a source for the last bit?

I will agree though that them announcing an April patch at the same time as the January patch is mighty sus... idk what else there might be to balance, let alone that would take THAT long.

Nevertheless, we MIGHT not have to wait long to find out there...
possible splatoon 2 maitnenance.png

...on second thought, not sure if that patch would apply to "parent/guardian confirmation". do they usually do multiple maintenances in one month?

Last edited:

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
got a source for the last bit?
If you mean the April balance patch bit, then https://support.nintendo.co.jp/app/answers/detail/a_id/34680. Specifically, near the end, 'We are considering the next update data distribution around the end of April 2020.' This does seem to have been updated after 5.1.0 released as it has the patch notes, but this tweet https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1208931414671908864 was posted on Dec 23rd and links to this page, and GameXplain mentioned the April update in their video https://youtu.be/IRZtoIdBktg on the same day. Admittedly, it does say 'considering' so they may not have actually started work on the update at the time, but that word choice might be a result of Google Translate (I really need to learn Japanese some day).

If you mean the 'SAVE OUR SALMONS' bit, that was entirely opinionated, but you probably didn't mean that.

do they usually do multiple maintenances in one month?
I don't keep track of maintenance schedules. Oddly enough, Nintendo UK's website says there are no plans for future server maintenance, but Nintendo of America's website clearly says there are, as you showed. In addition, Nintendo UK's listing of past maintenance only goes back 24 hours (pretty worthless if you ask me), where it says there has been no maintenance. I think Nintendo UK just haven't updated their page yet.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
i guess sakurai had other priorities
Yep, bringing all the veterans back was Sakurai's top priority for the base game. There was very little room for any newcomers at all to make it into base because of this. Plant is an example of time constraints since he is the only DLC character to receive a Palutena's Guidance codex thus means he was obviously planned for base game but didn't make it due to time constraints. There was no time to make anymore newcomers for base game at the time not even Echo Fighters.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yep, bringing all the veterans back was Sakurai's top priority for the base game. There was very little room for any newcomers at all to make it into base because of this. Plant is an example of time constraints since he is the only DLC character to receive a Palutena's Guidance codex thus means he was obviously planned for base game but didn't make it due to time constraints. There was no time to make anymore newcomers for base game at the time not even Echo Fighters.
in many ways it seems like ultimate was a bit of a rush job, the development time seemed smaller than the last two games and while there were plenty of revamped things there are also a lot of things that were just carried over from previous games

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So Sakurai confirmed he’s working on DLC from home now

chances of a leak during this time? Fingers crossed for Octoling in the pass, hopefully as a unique/semi clone so they’d get a stage and OE music (if they were an Echo they’d probably be individual like Piranha Plant, meaning no stage or music)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So Sakurai confirmed he’s working on DLC from home now

chances of a leak during this time? Fingers crossed for Octoling in the pass, hopefully as a unique/semi clone so they’d get a stage and OE music (if they were an Echo they’d probably be individual like Piranha Plant, meaning no stage or music)
whos gonna leak things from sakurais home?

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
whos gonna leak things from sakurais home?
To work from home, Sakurai is going to have to access a server somewhere at Nintendo or Bandai Namco's HQ, which will likely have less security than normal and so could lead to more leaks.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To work from home, Sakurai is going to have to access a server somewhere at Nintendo or Bandai Namco's HQ, which will likely have less security than normal and so could lead to more leaks.
It would also be easier to sneakily download a file or show off info vs in the building where they like implement security measures, technological and in the form of actual personnel

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
right so we're assuming that people are just gonna hack him then?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Something interesting just happened wrt Splatoon 2

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
It's gone now, so it must have been an accident.

Adding to this, Nintendo UK's website now lists server maintenance for Switch on the 21st of April from approximately 02:00 BST to 04:00 BST (for PT, that would be 20th April 18:00 to 20:00). Since Nintendo JP's original announcement said 'around the end of April 2020', this seems like the right time.
On a side note, I would've brought up the US maintenance schedule if I could actually find it on Nintendo of America's website. Did the search function have to not work properly?

Top Bottom