• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escape to the Surface, Octolings for Smash + splatoon 3 discussion

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
The "Inkling vs. Octoling" Splatfest hasn't been announced yet, but I keep hearing rumors of it.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
But it hasn't been announced here yet. I'm American. Maybe I'll find out this Friday.

I highly doubt this Splatfest is only regional. It definitely should be worldwide.

FarquadMoses

Smash Cadet
The Inkling was my most wanted and I gotta say I need more! I want the Octolings in Smash too! Sign me up for Support!

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
So, the Splatfest in question is supposed to happen late in the month, possibly to celebrate one year since Splatoon 2 launched.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
So, the Splatfest was announced for me last night, and it's indeed meant to celebrate one year since Splatoon 2 launched.

I'm on Team Octopus. If we win, that could attract Sakurai's attention even more.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Consider me a supporter. These are the only potential echo fighters I want. Smash Ultimate so far seems to be lacking in any Splatoon 2 content and I hope these octos could fix that.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
While the content for Splatoon 2 seems minimal (so far there's only Lil'Judd), I'd really like to see the octolings coming. I believe that they would work as echoes, but it would be a nice touch to have some Veemo in Smash!

They also start to have some "official" looks in artworks, so they can have multiple costumes like the Inklings. Mainly these two, but there's more
800px-Octolings_in_multiplayer_promo.jpg
800px-Octo_Expansion_multiplayer_Inkling_versus_Octoling.jpg

The two problems are the timing (as said, there's not much Splatoon 2 in Ultimate) and the Ink system, they need to have different colors compared to the Inklings.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
While the content for Splatoon 2 seems minimal (so far there's only Lil'Judd), I'd really like to see the octolings coming. I believe that they would work as echoes, but it would be a nice touch to have some Veemo in Smash!

They also start to have some "official" looks in artworks, so they can have multiple costumes like the Inklings. Mainly these two, but there's more

The two problems are the timing (as said, there's not much Splatoon 2 in Ultimate) and the Ink system, they need to have different colors compared to the Inklings.
i think theres plenty of ink colours to work with as for the timing well there has been plenty of time to included and if they were echo characters they would need less time

might still be too soon for the octo expansion version itd probably been the octo valley ones

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
i think theres plenty of ink colours to work with as for the timing well there has been plenty of time to included and if they were echo characters they would need less time

might still be too soon for the octo expansion version itd probably been the octo valley ones
My only fear is that Octovalley Octolings would look slightly bland compared to the Inklings, as the would only have basic recolors.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Please add me to the support list. I should've asked that before.

EDIT (to avoid double posting):
Callie vs. Marie was a Splatfest that impacted the plot in Splatoon 2.

Squid vs. Octopus and Pearl vs. Marina will definitely impact the plot in Splatoon 3. If Squid wins, it could also hurt Octoling's chances of getting in Smash.

We haven't gotten to Pearl vs. Marina yet, but we will get there eventually. It will most likely be the Splatfest that closes out Splatoon 2.

Last edited:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Well, Octolings lost the Splatfest, but they won the popularity vote by a majority.

I'm hopeful for Octolings joining in some form after Octo Expansion, so you can add me to the supporters.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I'd love to see Octolings in Smash, especially after playing through the Octo Expansion. Splatoon is definitely a big enough series to warrant two playable characters, I think.

While I would definitely be happy if they were added as echo fighters, I think they'd make a great Inkling semi-clone down the line. I think it makes a lot of sense for them to have a sort of Fox/Falco dynamic, and there is more than enough weapons in both Splatoon games to make them sufficiently different.

Here is how I'd envision a semiclone Octoling moveset. Since the Inklings' moveset mainly represents the first Splatoon, Octolings are a great opportunity to pull from Splatoon 2.
  • Statistics differ slightly; Octolings being a tad heavier and slower.
  • Idle animations, taunts, and victory animations are tweaked to reflect the different personality Octolings have in Splatoon 2. Less energetic and more relaxed than the Inklings, always with a curious look in their eyes.
  • Ground, air, and grab attacks are pretty much the same as Inkling, except using the Octo Shot instead of the Splattershot when applicable.
  • Forward Smash is an Octobrush rather than an Inkbrush. Slower, but more powerful.
  • Up Smash is a Heavy Splatling. The Octoling revs it up and unleashes a spray of ink into the air.
  • Down Smash lays an Ink Mine, not unlike Snake's d-smash.
  • Neutral Special is the Splat Dualies. Behaves pretty similar to the Inkling's neutral, except tilting a direction allows the Octoling to dodge roll up to three times.
  • Side Special is the Splat Brella. Has a similar ground-covering property to the Roller. Moves much slower, but provides a shield in front of the Octoling that blocks projectiles.
  • Up Special is the same as the Inklings.
  • Down Special throws an Auto Bomb, which will walk towards an opponent if they are in a certain radius.
  • The Final Smash is the Inkjet, which behaves somewhat similarly to Diddy's FS.

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Definitely support!
Splatoon has been such a fresh IP for Nintendo, it’d be a shame to leave it to Inklings specifically to represent this great new franchise. Octolings make the most sense outside of a completely new character like DJ Octavio, and being that they are essentially just Inklings, they’d make for a fine echo.

My question is, what would their design be? Most Splatoon stuff is based on the first, so would they have their ‘cuter’ look from the Octo Expansion, or the evil masked look of the Octoling girls in the first game? Maybe both?

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Definitely support!
Splatoon has been such a fresh IP for Nintendo, it’d be a shame to leave it to Inklings specifically to represent this great new franchise. Octolings make the most sense outside of a completely new character like DJ Octavio, and being that they are essentially just Inklings, they’d make for a fine echo.

My question is, what would their design be? Most Splatoon stuff is based on the first, so would they have their ‘cuter’ look from the Octo Expansion, or the evil masked look of the Octoling girls in the first game? Maybe both?
The Octo Expansion only just came out, but likely had been in development for a while (though definitely not at the same time Splatoon 2 itself was, which didn't start development until after Smash did if judging based on when it's internal ordering number was added as compared to Smash's). With how relatively quick an echo fighter could be made compared to a normal fighter, the Octolings could have been started on closer to the present in the same way most clones in previous games are, which would give Sakurai the ability to base them on their Splatoon 2 look.

I would hope so, I wouldn't want to see an Octoling echo fighter just be based off the Splatoon 1 version because they weren't even gendered then, and the playable Octolings look better-fit for Smash.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/911jwz/splatoon_2_1st_anniversary_interview_with_the/

This interview says Octolings were planned from the beginning of Splatoon 2, but they wanted to find a way to incorporate it properly story-wise.
Note that the interview also talks heavy lore post-Expansion, so beware for spoilers when scrollling.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...on_squids_kids_and_splatoon_2s_octo_expansion
This interview implies that the idea of playable Octolings was thought of even before the hackers found a way to hack octolings in the game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/911jwz/splatoon_2_1st_anniversary_interview_with_the/

This interview says Octolings were planned from the beginning of Splatoon 2, but they wanted to find a way to incorporate it properly story-wise.
Note that the interview also talks heavy lore post-Expansion, so beware for spoilers when scrollling.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...on_squids_kids_and_splatoon_2s_octo_expansion
This interview implies that the idea of playable Octolings was thought of even before the hackers found a way to hack octolings in the game.
well the idea of playable octolings certainly seemed to be a popular one

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Interesting info here:

-Inklings and Octolings are also contrasted with their different personalities, with Octoling being more serious and diligent while squids are more carefree and pleasure-seeking.

-The Inklings are more boyish/tomboyish, while Octolings are more sexy. (Refering to how their movements are different, e.g. even Octoboys swing their hips when walking compared to Inkboys who don't.)

Though this might be characterization for Splatoon 2 Octolings, I have not played the expansion.

The question is when Octolings were planned and when Echos were planned for this game. If its around 2015 to 2016, I think they are a real possibility.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
August 8, 2018. 8/8/18. It seems like they're setting up the number 8 a lot. And there are only two Nintendo characters I can think of with an 8 relation: Wartortle and Octoling. And I cant see Wartortle happening.

Musha4DaWin

Smash Cadet
The recently released Octo Expansion Pack gave our Octoling friends some time to shine, so why not make these octopedes an Echo Fighter of the Inklings? And, their reveal at tomorrow's Direct would make so much sense, because it's on the eighth month of the year, on the eighth of the month, and in 2018. Eights are everywhere, so why not eight tentacles swimming around the battlefield? Octolings existed in Splatoon 1, in the single-player mode, as obnoxious enemies, so they are possible. If the Inklings were planned before Splatoon 2 was, maybe the classic Octolings were too! And since they'd be an Echo Fighter, they may even have their modern design anyway. So, what do you think? Should these octopi have a shot, or is this totally unlikely?

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so there ended up being no sign of Octoling, but we ARE getting Simon and Richter Belmont, along with Chrom, Dark Samus, and finally King K. Rool, which are characters everyone can finally stop pestering Sakurai about.

There is still hope for Octoling. Definitely possible as a DLC character.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Seems like there are echoes being added for very different reasons other than being popular in the ballot, if Richter is any indication. This could be a good sign for Octolings since newcomers can get echo versions.

Last edited:

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
They never even said it was the full base roster, so there's still more to be revealed before the game's release.

List of newcomers so far:
-Inkling
-Daisy
-Ridley
-Simon
-Richter
-Chrom
-Dark Samus
-King K. Rool

Now's the time to really push for Octoling, since more and more huge requests are out of the way.

Karp_Guy

Smash Rookie
“Lets make octoling a clone!”
No.
Look I’m a huge Splatoon fan, and when I see people wanting octoling as a clone that make me sad. That means that we’ll only have two splatoon characters on the roster, and one will be a clone. I mean, who else could sakurai add? Jellie, Swims into Battle? DJ Octavio, steals the battle? C. Q. cumber Tests the Competition? SHELDON, BORES THE COMPETITION? See what I mean. Aside from Inkling and Octoling, we don’t have too many other characters. My solution? Give Octoling their own move set! She could use the splatoon weapons that arnt in inlings move set! (I played as inkling when I played the early demo in New York, so I have a pretty good idea of what the move set is) Octoling could use the Splatbrella or the splatlings. They could also use octo weapons, like DJ Octavio’s Calamari bombs, or the lasers in octo expansion. For her final smash, octo copters fly in and grab a few fighters and a cutscene final smash plays with and all out asult is given off by the octo army, with the great octoweapons and octo commanders and octo snipers! In the end I really hope octoling is her own charecter, weather as DLC or in the next smash bros., cuz the only other splatoon rep I can think of is Capn. Cuttlefish.

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
Initially, I was meh on the Octolings. But seeing how the Inklings do omit a few Splatoon weapons, I'd be interested to see Octolings as echos. Consider me a supporter.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No.
Look I’m a huge Splatoon fan, and when I see people wanting octoling as a clone that make me sad. That means that we’ll only have two splatoon characters on the roster, and one will be a clone. I mean, who else could sakurai add? Jellie, Swims into Battle? DJ Octavio, steals the battle? C. Q. cumber Tests the Competition? SHELDON, BORES THE COMPETITION? See what I mean. Aside from Inkling and Octoling, we don’t have too many other characters. My solution? Give Octoling their own move set! She could use the splatoon weapons that arnt in inlings move set! (I played as inkling when I played the early demo in New York, so I have a pretty good idea of what the move set is) Octoling could use the Splatbrella or the splatlings. They could also use octo weapons, like DJ Octavio’s Calamari bombs, or the lasers in octo expansion. For her final smash, octo copters fly in and grab a few fighters and a cutscene final smash plays with and all out asult is given off by the octo army, with the great octoweapons and octo commanders and octo snipers! In the end I really hope octoling is her own charecter, weather as DLC or in the next smash bros., cuz the only other splatoon rep I can think of is Capn. Cuttlefish.
its more of a case that people think that getting in as an echo is their best shot, also you didnt think of off the hook

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
No.
Well, I'm also a fan of Splatoon, and my main weapons are the Brellas and the Splatlings. As you can see, the weapons I love the most are absent.
But echoes is the best shot we can get for now. Last minute echoes, I believe. And why I love to see more weapons such as splatlings, ink mines and such...

... I do believe it's important to keep an "archetype" for Smash. See the Space Animals for example, or Ness and Lucas who were specifically in the "same family of PK users", according to Brawl's dojo.

Personally, the best thing would be a semi-clone, were a Splatling replace the splattershot but work in a similar fashion, a charger as the side-B who could Ink the ground in the same way the roller does, and something such as the suction bomb that could stick on opponents like Megaman's side-B.

This would keep the archetype with one main difference (side-B, similar to Ganondorf who have a different special), and allow normal moves to be more different, like Lucas, Wolf or even Toon Link now.

In fact, with this I hope that if we get an Octoling echo, neutral-B can be a Splatling, even if it's cosmetic and function the same way as Inkling's splattershot.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Fans of characters that translate well into echoes, such as Dixie Kong and Isabelle, tend to deny that it's the correct route to go. It becomes this thing of 'if this character gets in and they are merely an echo, then it would be an insult.' We saw the same arguments made about Dark Samus, Chrom, and Daisy. But the reality of development time and what makes sense to Sakurai means that most of these characters will become clones because it simply makes sense to do so. My Dark Samus is now an echo, and I am okay with that because I still feel satisfied with how Dark Samus has been brought to life onscreen. It's not that echo fighters are lazy, as you can clearly see that lots of tender love and care went into making the echoes look and feel different in both their animations and attack visuals. Clones are extra workload that they didn't necessarily need to take on, but are doing so anyway to meet fan demand and give us characters that people have actually been asking for. We can definitely learn to be satisfied with what we have instead of not getting the character at all. Because admit it, if the character isn't in the game in a playable form then that leads to disappointment and even more complaining up until next game.

I support Octoling, they are popular within the Splatoon fandom and show the non-fans that there are more than just Inklings, which have a terrible design in comparison imo. If I were to use a Splatoon character, it would be the Octoling 100%. I'd also be thoroughly shocked but pleasantly surprised if Octoling wasn't an echo.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Fans of characters that translate well into echoes, such as Dixie Kong and Isabelle, tend to deny that it's the correct route to go. It becomes this thing of 'if this character gets in and they are merely an echo, then it would be an insult.' We saw the same arguments made about Dark Samus, Chrom, and Daisy. But the reality of development time and what makes sense to Sakurai means that most of these characters will become clones because it simply makes sense to do so. My Dark Samus is now an echo, and I am okay with that because I still feel satisfied with how Dark Samus has been brought to life onscreen. It's not that echo fighters are lazy, as you can clearly see that lots of tender love and care went into making the echoes look and feel different in both their animations and attack visuals. Clones are extra workload that they didn't necessarily need to take on, but are doing so anyway to meet fan demand and give us characters that people have actually been asking for. We can definitely learn to be satisfied with what we have instead of not getting the character at all. Because admit it, if the character isn't in the game in a playable form then that leads to disappointment and even more complaining up until next game.

I support Octoling, they are popular within the Splatoon fandom and show the non-fans that there are more than just Inklings, which have a terrible design in comparison imo. If I were to use a Splatoon character, it would be the Octoling 100%. I'd also be thoroughly shocked but pleasantly surprised if Octoling wasn't an echo.
This. Thank you so much for this. As you say, as long as you dare to say "hey, this character can have this in common", it can become an insult and... That's sometime ridiculous. I haven't really seen it yet on Smashboards, hopefully. Or at least I've seen way worse elsewere.

Octolings are meant to play the same in Splatoon so they are some of the most coherent echoes to make. I'd even dare to say that they could be costumes, as many animations are obviously shared with Inklings.
Of course, an echo fighter would still allow for other weapons to be shown: Octoshot, Octobrush, Dynamo-roller to name a few... And they would retain their animation and therefore personality. That's the problem of Alph, because of Olimar's interchangeable animations, the character work and feel like a Pikmin character, but miss some things, such as his KopPad for example.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
This. Thank you so much for this. As you say, as long as you dare to say "hey, this character can have this in common", it can become an insult and... That's sometime ridiculous. I haven't really seen it yet on Smashboards, hopefully. Or at least I've seen way worse elsewere.

Octolings are meant to play the same in Splatoon so they are some of the most coherent echoes to make. I'd even dare to say that they could be costumes, as many animations are obviously shared with Inklings.
Of course, an echo fighter would still allow for other weapons to be shown: Octoshot, Octobrush, Dynamo-roller to name a few... And they would retain their animation and therefore personality. That's the problem of Alph, because of Olimar's interchangeable animations, the character work and feel like a Pikmin character, but miss some things, such as his KopPad for example.
It still bugs the crap out of me that Alph uses Olimar's ship in his Final Smash...

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Octoling being Inkling's Echo would make most sense.

The good ones being playable, and the bad ones being a possible Assist Trophy.

Top Bottom