• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escape to the Surface, Octolings for Smash + splatoon 3 discussion

Bakabridget

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bakabridget
They spend like 4 seconds searching for the actual other splatfest team before going "nah forget it" and throwing me into a mirror match. now i'm waiting for my penalty to expire before i can try again. turns out leaving before the amtch starts still counts as dcing during the match. kinda lame.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
whelp considering it started at 10 at night where i am ill be joining in tomorrow, my apologies to team mushroom in advance for dragging down the score

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
whelp considering it started at 10 at night where i am ill be joining in tomorrow, my apologies to team mushroom in advance for dragging down the score
I’ll pick up the slack with my mushroom alt

Bakabridget

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bakabridget
I think i'm already done with this splatfest. didn't win a single match and that just kinda sucks all the life out of me. not only that but i can't get a single controller that works properly. my right joycon struggles to aim left and i can';t super. my usb controller random;y stops letting me move forward. you can';t turn into a squid the gamecube controller. no rebind able controls becasue lolnintendo

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think i'm already done with this splatfest. didn't win a single match and that just kinda sucks all the life out of me. not only that but i can't get a single controller that works properly. my right joycon struggles to aim left and i can';t super. my usb controller random;y stops letting me move forward. you can';t turn into a squid the gamecube controller. no rebind able controls becasue lolnintendo
sounds irritating

mind you wining streaks freak me out

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
So far, this has been the most difficult Splatfest I've ever sat through. I'm on Team Star. So far, I've lost all the extra Splatfests. If I lose this one, I'll be 0-4. Totally winless. I can't stop getting fights against my own team. I've been losing left and right. When I win, it's a fluke. It's been so frustrating, I wish I could use words that aren't allowed here.

I really hope this is the last of the Splatfests after this one. They can't keep doing these until the end of the Switch lifespan. Splatfests have gotten stale in their current format long ago.

Last edited:

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
As someone who got into the game late, I'd love for them to set it up so the (non-promotional) Splatfests just automatically repeat, maybe once a month or so. That shouldn't be something where anyone feels forced to be there, since they aren't unique or only available once, but newer players would get the chance to experience them and have a way to get Super Sea Snails besides a long level grind. And of course the seasonal Splatfests would only happen at the appropriate times.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So far, this has been the most difficult Splatfest I've ever sat through. I'm on Team Star. So far, I've lost all the extra Splatfests. If I lose this one, I'll be 0-4. Totally winless. I can't stop getting fights against my own team. I've been losing left and right. When I win, it's a fluke. It's been so frustrating, I wish I could use words that aren't allowed here.

I really hope this is the last of the Splatfests after this one. They can't keep doing these until the end of the Switch lifespan. Splatfests have gotten stale in their current format long ago.
i imagine its cause the only regular players now are the ones who suck the fun out of it for everyone

edit: 3 matches in and I just can’t do anymore. It’s just a stark reminder of why I dislike online gaming

Last edited:

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
I think I'm starting to understand this. Many people apparently got into the game well after the so-called "Final Fest" who were unable to experience Splatfests before. Maybe the reason they decided to bring Splatfests back was so that late players can experience them because many people out there didn't get the game until well after the Final Fest, and they didn't want sales of Splatoon 2 to drop.

If Team Star loses, I will try not to lose it here, and keep myself under control. I'll have to accept being 0-4 with these extra Splatfests.

Yes, Splatfests in their current format have gotten stale long ago, but at the same time, not everyone got the game during the original two-year run of Splatfests. The Final Fest Splatocalypse was just the end of the main run of Splatfests, back when they were monthly.

Once Splatoon 3 is officially on the horizon, there are many great ideas to give Splatfests a complete overhaul, including three-sided ones. For example, Mayo vs. Ketchup can have Mustard added, and Salsa vs. Guac can have Queso added. Also, Fork vs. Spoon vs. Knife. Could we have three idols, or stick with two like before? Most likely the latter. They can have three-team stages. Also, please add the option to back out of the waiting screen so we're not forced to wait. There are many great improvements I'd love to see in Splatoon 3, but that's another topic.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think I'm starting to understand this. Many people apparently got into the game well after the so-called "Final Fest" who were unable to experience Splatfests before. Maybe the reason they decided to bring Splatfests back was so that late players can experience them because many people out there didn't get the game until well after the Final Fest, and they didn't want sales of Splatoon 2 to drop.

If Team Star loses, I will try not to lose it here, and keep myself under control. I'll have to accept being 0-4 with these extra Splatfests.

Yes, Splatfests in their current format have gotten stale long ago, but at the same time, not everyone got the game during the original two-year run of Splatfests. The Final Fest Splatocalypse was just the end of the main run of Splatfests, back when they were monthly.

Once Splatoon 3 is officially on the horizon, there are many great ideas to give Splatfests a complete overhaul, including three-sided ones. For example, Mayo vs. Ketchup can have Mustard added, and Salsa vs. Guac can have Queso added. Also, Fork vs. Spoon vs. Knife. Could we have three idols, or stick with two like before? Most likely the latter. They can have three-team stages. Also, please add the option to back out of the waiting screen so we're not forced to wait. There are many great improvements I'd love to see in Splatoon 3, but that's another topic.
i wouldnt worry about it team star is gonna win

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Spoilers below:

Welp, I'm now officially 0-4. I'm trying hard not to lose my patience again. But still, I'm in shock that we just had four extra Splatfests, and I didn't even win one. Am I the biggest loser here? Am I the only one here who lost all four of them? I haven't won a Splatfest since the Final Fest. I never get to gloat about anything. Now Team Mushroom gets to mock. Go on, mock away.

Tried my best to stay under control, but still in shock.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
About what I said earlier, did my side really lose again, or am I just having a bad dream? Did I really lose all four extra Splatfests? Hopefully, I'm still in bed, sleeping like a baby.

If Team Star really lost, and I'm awake, I'll have no choice but to just wave the white flag. Remember, I haven't won a Splatfest since the Final Fest Splatocalypse in July of 2019. That was my last win to date. I could do with some comfort here.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Star had a TON of dittos cause it had like twice the amount of votes mushroom had, so I swapped to my mushroom alt cause I got sick of dittos

Chaos had only like 15% more votes than Order so dittos weren’t that frequent even though they still happened

also can confirm I got a crap ton of dittos with Trick

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I pick based on which side appeals to me most

if both sides appeal I whip out the alt to pick the other side as my main

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
Whilst playing the Splatfest I got a quite a good luck with snipes whilst using Splat Bombs. On The Bunker Games if you time it right you can place a Splat Bomb (not sure of other ones that could work) across the gap from the left of your spawn point to where the first set of containers drop (the closest one) you can land one there and if lucky enough splat someone but it requires luck. I also got a bunch of win streaks and broke a few team's win streaks. I used the Sploosh-o-matic 7 and man using the Ultra Stamp can really shake things up.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Whilst playing the Splatfest I got a quite a good luck with snipes whilst using Splat Bombs. On The Bunker Games if you time it right you can place a Splat Bomb (not sure of other ones that could work) across the gap from the left of your spawn point to where the first set of containers drop (the closest one) you can land one there and if lucky enough splat someone but it requires luck. I also got a bunch of win streaks and broke a few team's win streaks. I used the Sploosh-o-matic 7 and man using the Ultra Stamp can really shake things up.
thats sound really irritating

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just wondering, do the Octoling Girl or Octoling Boy have profile pictures in Smash or not yet? Context: the profile pics include spirits, costumes and ATs

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
Just wondering, do the Octoling Girl or Octoling Boy have profile pictures in Smash or not yet? Context: the profile pics include spirits, costumes and ATs
If you mean by online profile icons then no checked myself. The Splatoon icons are as follows:
Inkling and their alts
Splatoon Icon
Squid Sisters
Inkling Squid
Judd
Li'll Judd
Off the Hook
Sheldon
Captain Cuttlefish and
The Great Zapfish

Last edited:

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Actually, after checking SmashWiki, I was wrong: Octoling does not have a Smash Tag icon.

I doubt Profile Theory matters, but in the very slim case it does, it could be a point in favour of Octoling. And every character from a new franchise.

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
There's been this leak earlier on this year with games coming out from a Brazilian Twitter user showing screenshots of 5 games, one of the pictures is an Octoling during the Octo Expansion. With Splatoon 2 however content updates have ended as you all know and presumably Splatfests. Splatoon 3 isn't happening yet because of Animal Crossing New Horizons (Nogami said no Splatoon 3 yet himself besides I doubt support for ACNH will die very quickly due to its success). There might be a Splatoon spin-off but it's unknown because all we can base it off of is that New Year picture with Save Our Salmons from January last year. However, might be farfetched but I think we all know by now who is missing in Smash. All we can base stuff off of is leaks really.

A video talking more about this leak:

Link for tweet:
Check this out

Last edited:

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
Despite what we have been saying what do you think of what I have put down. Apart from that one sentence of course.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I think a Mario + Rabbids style (think XCOM) game could work. A top down turn based shooter with Callie, Marie, Pearl, Marina and some new characters could be a lot of fun. Maybe playable Salmonlings? The only problem I can think of is how the Ink mechanic could be used. Maybe increase movement per turn? Each character could also be a specific class? Giving each character a unique set of abilities.

What do you think?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think a Mario + Rabbids style (think XCOM) game could work. A top down turn based shooter with Callie, Marie, Pearl, Marina and some new characters could be a lot of fun. Maybe playable Salmonlings? The only problem I can think of is how the Ink mechanic could be used. Maybe increase movement per turn? Each character could also be a specific class? Giving each character a unique set of abilities.

What do you think?
That's a good idea, I love me some XCOM and I think a game like that would really fit with Splatoon's universe.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

What do you think?
ive no idea how xcom works. but something like M+R sounds cool

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

What do you think?
Throw in Cap’n Cuttlefish too for the heck of it

and maybe what would be Splatoon 3’s idol group. I’m hoping for a pair of male Octoling rock musicians myself

Top Bottom