• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escape to the Surface, Octolings for Smash + splatoon 3 discussion

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I know people have said that they wouldn’t represent DLC content as the patched in characters for ARMS didn’t have Spirits or appear in Min Min’s FS. I’m kinda hoping that’s not the case for Octoling; Octo Expansion was a full on story addition and Octolings have technically existed since Splatoon 1, just not the OE variant. We ALSO have two OE spirits (the Octopus form, and male and female Agent 8) so the acknowledgment could help I guess?
in my case its cause the rate of characters i dont like has gone up

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I have an inexplicable hunch that this may actually be happening very soon. If FP7 is a first-party I'm kind of expecting Octoling to be next in line, and I'm bracing myself for Octoling October.

Feel free to add me as supporter and whatnot. This is one of those characters I'm low-key excited to see, mainly since I always liked the Octo side of splatoon way more than the squids (DJ Octavio, Octolings, Marina, etc.), and I would love to see them with a dedicated Splatoon 2 moveset instead of just being an echo (even if that would be ok too).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I have an inexplicable hunch that this may actually be happening very soon. If FP7 is a first-party I'm kind of expecting Octoling to be next in line, and I'm bracing myself for Octoling October.

Feel free to add me as supporter and whatnot. This is one of those characters I'm low-key excited to see, mainly since I always liked the Octo side of splatoon way more than the squids (DJ Octavio, Octolings, Marina, etc.), and I would love to see them with a dedicated Splatoon 2 moveset instead of just being an echo (even if that would be ok too).
i personally thought them being FP8 would be perfect. cause you know, the whole 8 motif in octo expansion

plus, Splatoon 2 got a surprise surge in promotion post-final fest... around the same time as ARMS no less... 🤔

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
i personally thought them being FP8 would be perfect. cause you know, the whole 8 motif in octo expansion

plus, Splatoon 2 got a surprise surge in promotion post-final fest... around the same time as ARMS no less... 🤔
If FP8 they would also be fighter number 78 on the site, that would actually be pretty clean 🤔

I don't know if they would try to organize things to fit that though. Maybe Nogami would, idk about Sakurai.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
what do you think would work better as an Octoling final smash:

Splashdown, Inkjet, or Baller?

i used to think Baller but im starting to get behind the idea of Splashdown

Paraster

Smash Lord
what do you think would work better as an Octoling final smash:

Splashdown, Inkjet, or Baller?

i used to think Baller but im starting to get behind the idea of Splashdown
Of those, I'd say Splashdown (I like Baller better but I think it'd clash with Ultimate's "quick and to the point" philosophy for Final Smashes), but I'm honestly kinda partial towards Booyah Bomb.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
thered be a certain degree of irony if the octolings were not echoes. in splatoon they play identical to the inklings and in smash there are echoes who in their own games do not play identical to the characters they echo. sure they all make senses as echoes but you get the point

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
thered be a certain degree of irony if the octolings were not echoes. in splatoon they play identical to the inklings and in smash there are echoes who in their own games do not play identical to the characters they echo. sure they all make senses as echoes but you get the point
I mean Lucina plays similar to Chrom but she’s a Marth echo and Chrom a Roy echo so

Folezicle Lives!

Smash Rookie
I support. But I kind of hope we see them as echoes post Fighter Pass 2. I hatw to say it but there are other characters I'd like to see with new movesets, compared to Octolings. Sure Splatoon 2 has new weapons and a special move. But I don't see it as imaginative as say the moveset of Akira from Astral Chain or Impa's cloning mechanic in Hyrule Warrior's: Age of Calamity.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean Lucina plays similar to Chrom but she’s a Marth echo and Chrom a Roy echo so
ypu know what i mean, completely non clone

I support. But I kind of hope we see them as echoes post Fighter Pass 2. I hatw to say it but there are other characters I'd like to see with new movesets, compared to Octolings. Sure Splatoon 2 has new weapons and a special move. But I don't see it as imaginative as say the moveset of Akira from Astral Chain or Impa's cloning mechanic in Hyrule Warrior's: Age of Calamity.
youd prefer akira over the main character?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I may be grasping but
3331F45E-07F6-4C96-A0A1-8C511D49BB8F.png

Splatfests are called “Fes” in Japan which is short for Festival...

don’t give me hope Sakurai fiirksnfisodnekso

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
At last, we have Challenger Pack #7, which will be available next Tuesday (the 13th). Minecraft is being represented in the game now, with Steve, Alex, Zombie, and Enderman all being playable. Three Mii costumes are also based on Minecraft. Still no sign of Octoling, or a Mii costume of one yet. Still no Pearl and Marina Mii costumes yet, either.

Regardless, the most logical choice for the next fighter from the Splatoon series is Octoling, and there really should be a Splatoon 2 stage in Smash. The best I can think of would be MC Princess Diaries, as the Splatoon 2 stage. Pearl and Marina would be background characters, and the NILS statue would be in the background. Like I said in previous posts, song tracks that can be added include Nasty Majesty, Shark Bytes, Fly Octo Fly, Ebb and Flow Octo, and possibly Into the Light. Maybe some of Dedf1sh's songs as well. Four or six of the Octoling variants can be based off Agent 8, while including at least one variant of both the Enemy Octoling, and Sanitized Octoling.

List of Splatoon Mii costumes I'd like to see that haven't been added yet:
-Octoling Boy and Octoling Girl - if not fighter (Gunner)
-Enemy Octoling - if not fighter (Gunner)
-Pearl (Brawler)
-Marina (Most likely Gunner)
-Cap'n Cuttlefish (Swordfighter)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
At last, we have Challenger Pack #7, which will be available next Tuesday (the 13th). Minecraft is being represented in the game now, with Steve, Alex, Zombie, and Enderman all being playable. Three Mii costumes are also based on Minecraft. Still no sign of Octoling, or a Mii costume of one yet. Still no Pearl and Marina Mii costumes yet, either.

Regardless, the most logical choice for the next fighter from the Splatoon series is Octoling, and there really should be a Splatoon 2 stage in Smash. The best I can think of would be MC Princess Diaries, as the Splatoon 2 stage. Pearl and Marina would be background characters, and the NILS statue would be in the background. Like I said in previous posts, song tracks that can be added include Nasty Majesty, Shark Bytes, Fly Octo Fly, Ebb and Flow Octo, and possibly Into the Light. Maybe some of Dedf1sh's songs as well. Four or six of the Octoling variants can be based off Agent 8, while including at least one variant of both the Enemy Octoling, and Sanitized Octoling.

List of Splatoon Mii costumes I'd like to see that haven't been added yet:
-Octoling Boy and Octoling Girl - if not fighter (Gunner)
-Enemy Octoling - if not fighter (Gunner)
-Pearl (Brawler)
-Marina (Most likely Gunner)
-Cap'n Cuttlefish (Swordfighter)
Marina could be a Swordfighter cause she uses a Brella, idk if Cap’n would work as one, and Pearl could be either Gunner or Brawler (Gunner could work cause Dualies)

Last edited:

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Marina could be a Swordfighter cause she uses a Brella, idk if Cap’n would work as one, and Pearl could be either Gunner or Brawler (Gunner could work cause Dualies)
Cap would use his cane as a sword. Just a thought, though.

Last edited:

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
After more than three months since Min Min, Challenger Pack #7, which contains Steve, will become available next Tuesday. Don't know if they're going to reveal Challenger Pack #8 by the end of this year. When that does happen, they might announce amiibo for Min Min and Steve. The Banjo & Kazooie, Terry Bogard, and Byleth amiibo are likely to get released in spring.

It would be nice if they could bring back the Pac-Maze and Yoshi's Woolly World stages from the previous installment.

Should we expect Challenger Pack #8 to contain Octoling? So far, every challenger pack has had a completely unique fighter. We may get Spyro, or Crash Bandicoot down the line.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
im moving my octoling prediction to FP10, cause then they'd be fighter 80. as per the League of Legends rumor earlier this year, and Crash rumors everywhere I'm thinking FP8 is either a LoL champion or Crash since imo Steve and 8 would have been revealed at E3 were it not for COVID

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
So, Splatoween is making a comeback. Hopefully, Team Trick will get revenge. After that, the next one will be the Mario-themed bonus Splatfest in January, which is the only one that's not a rerun, but a new theme. That may be the last bonus Splatfest for Splatoon 2.

Regarding Smash, Octoling joining the roster is inevitable. If it can't happen this installment, then the next installment for sure.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I at least do think the two Octo Expansion spirits (Agent 8 and the Octopus form) are rather fortuitous as usually DLC content from other games in Smash isn’t represented (the patched in ARMS characters like Lola Pop, Misango and Dr. Coyle only appear as banners on Min Min’s stage, not Spirits or in her FS)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
You're saying if I assume a character is inevitable, that will automatically not happen?
No, but with only four spots left for DLC (barring a third Fighters Pass or some bonus characters, but that seems unlikely), there's no way that every character that people think is inevitable will be joining the roster, and a large amount of people will be disappointed that their most wanted didn't make it in.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You're saying if I assume a character is inevitable, that will automatically not happen?
no im just advising caution, ive been burned before

No, but with only four spots left for DLC (barring a third Fighters Pass or some bonus characters, but that seems unlikely), there's no way that every character that people think is inevitable will be joining the roster, and a large amount of people will be disappointed that their most wanted didn't make it in.
to be fair they were referring to future titles as well

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I shouldn't assume a character is inevitable. It just seems obvious that if we do eventually get a second fighter from the Splatoon series at some point in the future, it would be Octoling. Don't see who else it could be. For the second Animal Crossing fighter, the most obvious choice was Isabelle, as she was the most popular. She was previously an Assist Trophy, but got promoted in this installment. For now, Octolings are just spirits.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Okay, I shouldn't assume a character is inevitable. It just seems obvious that if we do eventually get a second fighter from the Splatoon series at some point in the future, it would be Octoling. Don't see who else it could be. For the second Animal Crossing fighter, the most obvious choice was Isabelle, as she was the most popular. She was previously an Assist Trophy, but got promoted in this installment. For now, Octolings are just spirits.
I agree that octolings seem like the best choice for another splatoon character but the obvious choice for us may not be the one for the smash team. Sure we were right about Isabelle but the fans thought krystal was the best choice for star fox and they got wolf and toad has been the next obvious choice for Mario character since meele

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I agree that octolings seem like the best choice for another splatoon character but the obvious choice for us may not be the one for the smash team. Sure we were right about Isabelle but the fans thought krystal was the best choice for star fox and they got wolf and toad has been the next obvious choice for Mario character since meele
To be fair though, which other new Splatoon character would you use? I doubt Off the Hook as much as I want them in a hypothetical Project X Zone 3

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To be fair though, which other new Splatoon character would you use? I doubt Off the Hook as much as I want them in a hypothetical Project X Zone 3
well i was meaning the smash team not myself. youve you forget the no one possibility

Last edited:
Top Bottom