• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escape to the Surface, Octolings for Smash + splatoon 3 discussion

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
How would you want Octoling’s trailer to play out?

Paraster

Smash Lord
If they're gonna be the final character, just go all-in on the book-ends aspect and have it be based on the Ultimate announcement teaser. Either have Octolings take the Inklings' role or keep the Inklings but have Octolings replace the flaming Smash symbol.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If they're gonna be the final character, just go all-in on the book-ends aspect and have it be based on the Ultimate announcement teaser. Either have Octolings take the Inklings' role or keep the Inklings but have Octolings replace the flaming Smash symbol.
How about a third WoL themed where both Galeem AND Dharkon have to be fought? And it ends in Pearl BOOOOYAAAAHHHHHHing them both with princess cannon just like the end of octo expansion?

Paraster

Smash Lord
How about a third WoL themed where both Galeem AND Dharkon have to be fought? And it ends in Pearl BOOOOYAAAAHHHHHHing them both with princess cannon just like the end of octo expansion?
I think that's a cool idea, and I'd like to see it play out, but it doesn't seem like it'd be the most fitting for Octoling specifically unless you could draw a stronger comparison between Galeem/Dharkon and Tartar.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think that's a cool idea, and I'd like to see it play out, but it doesn't seem like it'd be the most fitting for Octoling specifically unless you could draw a stronger comparison between Galeem/Dharkon and Tartar.
That’s exactly where I was going lmao. Moreso Galeem than Dharkon

but come onnnn imagine the Killer Wail beating out TWO SIMULTANEOUS LIGHT AND DARK LASERS

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
Note: Trying to reuse a trailer already done (like what they've done with Banjo & Kazooie) but tweaked. Couldn't come up with anything better.

It could be using a trailer similar to Steve's where instead of iconic characters battling it out it could be a selection of first party characters battling it out and one of them maybe Captain Falcon falcon spikes (or another first party rep) a first party character (who I'll refer them to as the fighter) into the Deepsea Metro Central Station (from the broken hole where you start the escape sequence) when the fighter lands footsteps can be heard (from where you first show up there) where Cap'n Cuttlefish walks with Octoling (still no one knowing who it is) then the fighter inspects and when Octoling sees the fighter Octoling leaves Cap'n Cuttlefish behind by telling him to stay behind quietly (they were hiding when Octoling saw the fighter) then out comes Octoling running (with splash screen saying "Octoling claims their turf") (the camera doesn't show them which can lead to question which Splatoon rep it is until Octoling comes runing) then in-game gameplay shows then the fight in the reveal trailer starts .

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
wouldnt that make more sense for an off the hook trailer?

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
I've been thinking of this for a while. The way I'd see it is like a mix of various ideas on this thread.

Quoted from the Direct a Trailer thread:
Smash trailer intro

All the fighters currently in the game are overlooking Galeem and Dharkon fighting in the Final Battle, when the two of them start charging their giant beam attacks like the one Galeem uses in the World of Light opening cutscene. The fighters jump at them to try and stop them, but it isn't enough. They fire their lasers just in time, and all our fighters are gradually consumed, with all the Ultimate newcomers being shown to be consumed in reverse order of their reveal as they try to run away. They consume the whole world and leave a blank white screen.

A shot of orange ink is fired. Just like in the game's announcement trailer, Inkling Girl swims through her ink and engages in a fight with Inkling Boy. Not long after they engage, their fight is interrupted by shots of pink and peach ink. The camera pans up to reveal...

Octoling Reclaims their Turf!

The four of them all fight, run away from the camera, the screen goes dark, behind them is a burning Smash logo, but this time they courageously walk towards it as the screen fades to white.

Gameplay montage set to a new remix of Ebb and Flow

Before the climax of the song, the gameplay ends, and it cuts back to the Final Battle CGI. With all the fighters in the same position as the start of the trailer, the camera pans to Cap'n Cuttlefish, Off the Hook, the two Inklings and the two Octolings on a levitating platform at the back. Pearl brings out her Princess Cannon and readies it while Galeem and Dharkon ready their giant beam attacks. The three of them clash, giving the other fighters enough time to strike Galeem and Dharkon, defeating them. The camera pans over all the fighters in the game, ending with our new octo kids giving a celebratory Veemo!/Oomi!

End card

Post-credits gameplay scene of Octoling Girl walking into some green ink. The camera pans to reveal a blue Kirby, who throws a Deku Seed at the Octoling and Stamina KOs her.

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking of this for a while. The way I'd see it is like a mix of various ideas on this thread.

Quoted from the Direct a Trailer thread:
This is a perfect way to wrap up DLC in general since we've got The Dark Realm essentially with Hero and The Light Realm essentially with Sephiroth. It should finish off with The Final Battle (it even matches up for it to be for the final fighter because it's in the name (that might be far fetched though)) since it seems that they're mimicking the World of Light story but with DLC fighters even though its out of order if you go in terms of fighter reveal order. I Like the idea that the beams from Dharkon and Galeem and the Killer Wail laser references the ending cutscene to the Octo Expansion.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This is a perfect way to wrap up DLC in general since we've got The Dark Realm essentially with Hero and The Light Realm essentially with Sephiroth. It should finish off with The Final Battle (it even matches up for it to be for the final fighter because it's in the name (that might be far fetched though)) since it seems that they're mimicking the World of Light story but with DLC fighters even though its out of order if you go in terms of fighter reveal order. Like the idea that the beams from Dharkon and Galeem and the Killer Wail laser references the ending cutscene to the Octo Expansion.
I think a more fitting title would be “Ink To Save The World!” It’s the text that flashes for a few seconds when you start the NILS statue segment of Octo Expansion

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Says it’s focusing on winter games so we can’t be sure we’ll get splatoon

however never say never (unless they already said no) and keep your fingers crossed

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok so

It’s in October, at 9 AM EST. the time suggests it’s not a “big deal” character like Sephiroth is

OCTOber (ok this was more for pun sakes but I wouldn’t be surprised if this was a coincidence)

Inkling’s reveal had the same flaming smash ball

I don’t mean to grasp at straws but uhhhh

I think we’re ending with a Splatoon character dudes 😳

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ok so

It’s in October, at 9 AM EST. the time suggests it’s not a “big deal” character like Sephiroth is

OCTOber (ok this was more for pun sakes but I wouldn’t be surprised if this was a coincidence)

Inkling’s reveal had the same flaming smash ball

I don’t mean to grasp at straws but uhhhh

I think we’re ending with a Splatoon character dudes 😳
youve been thinking that for a while to be fair

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you can really tell splatoon and animal crossing is made by the same team

Anyone else notice that cuttlefishs retired outfit looks like tortimers retired outfit?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It would appear the old agent 3 is the new Captain and Cuttlefish retired…

does that mean the former agent 4 is the new agent 3?

AND WHERE’S AGENT 8??? and of course Pearl and Marina

and I’m guessing the musical trio at the end is just a performer for battle songs. We’ll still need the new pop duo. Pls let them be two male Octoling rockers 🤞

the story for hero mode sounds interesting. I wonder if Mr. Grizz will play a role

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Octoling is being rated in the Character Exploration Thread today!

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Since today is Octoling's day in the Character Exploration Thread, screw it. Here's a moveset for Octoling:
  • Ink: Works exactly like Inkling's ink.
  • Jab: A rapid jab, consisting of a punch, kick, then rapid shots of the Splat Dualies that apply ink, finishing with a bigger shot. Octoling can uniquely cancel the rapid jab with a roll, at the cost of ink.
  • Side tilt: A series of shots from an L-3 Nozzlenoze that apply ink.
  • Up tilt: An upwards shot of the unnamed bow from Splatoon 3, that comes down with three shots that apply ink. Can you tell I struggled with this one?
  • Down tilt: A one-two swing of the Octobrush that applies ink. The tip has a sweetspot.
  • Dash attack: A running swing of the Sloshing Machine, producing a shot that travels forward and arcs down. The swing has a hitbox, and the shot applies ink and can travel off ledges. Alternatively, the Squid Roll from Splatoon 3.
  • Side smash: A slow but powerful swing of the Ultra Stamp that applies ink and moves Octoling forward.
  • Up smash: An upwards series of shots from a Heavy Splatling that apply ink.
  • Down smash: A placement of an Ink Mine right below Octoling, that explodes right after as part of the animation. The placement has a hitbox, and the explosion applies ink.
  • Neutral aerial: A spin with three shots of the Splat Dualies that apply ink.
  • Forward aerial: A vertical swing of the Dynamo Roller that leaves a trail of ink to fall as a projectile.
  • Back aerial: A backwards swing and shot of a Rapid Blaster that applies ink. The swing has a hitbox.
  • Up aerial: An upwards swing and brief appearance of a ball of ink, based on the Booyah Bomb's animation.
  • Down aerial: A stall-then-fall, based on the Splashdown's animation.
  • Grab: Your standard set of grabs. Alternatively, the Zipcaster from Splatoon 3.
  • Pummel: A shot from a Splat Dualie that applies ink.
  • Forward throw: A throw with both arms, based on the Ink Storm's throw animation.
  • The rest of the throws: I can't be bothered to do these, so I'm gonna cheap out and reuse Inkling's throws.
  • Neutral Special: Splat Charger: Octoling pulls out a Splat Charger and aims it. From there, you can angle it up or down with the Control Stick, hold the button to charge the shot and release to fire a trail of ink. Charged shots deal more damage, knockback and ink. Holding the shield button on the ground will cancel the charge into Octoling's ink refill, from which they can release shield to resume charging with previous charge kept or release special to go back to neutral with previous charge lost.
  • Side Special: Splat Brella: Octoling pulls out a Splat Brella and holds it in front of them, absorbing a hit for them. From there, you can hold the button to charge the shot and release to fire the Brella at the cost of ink, where it will travel along the ground, absorb a hit and deal negligible damage, knockback and ink. Charged Brellas travel faster and absorb more hits.
  • Up Special: Inkjet: Octoling goes into an Inkjet and begins to fly. Holding the button will propel Octoling up at the cost of ink, and produce a trail of ink from the jet's exhaust that deals negligible damage and ink and no knockback. If you run out of ink, the jet will explode and Octoling will enter freefall. The explosion has a hitbox that applies ink.
  • Down Special: Torpedo: Octoling pulls out a Torpedo and aims it. From there, you can hold the button to charge the throw and release to throw the Torpedo at the cost of ink, where it will travel until it locks onto an opponent and explode on contact. Charged Torpedoes are thrown faster at a higher angle and deal more damage, knockback and ink.
  • Shield Special: Ink Refill: Works exactly like Inkling's ink refill.
  • Final Smash: Tenta Missiles: Octoling pulls out a pair of Tenta Missile launchers and becomes invincible. From there, you can move a cursor around the screen and hover over opponents to lock onto them. Once a few seconds have passed, Octoling fires the missiles at the locked-on opponents, which rain down and deal heavy damage, knockback and ink. Yes, this is basically a copy of Covering Fire, but the previous DLC characters aren't too original with their Final Smashes either.

As you can see, I tried to differentiate Octoling from Inkling as much as possible, as this was created as if it could be CP11. I oriented them more around zoning and gave them a much higher emphasis on ink - possibly too high. I might do my take on a Challenger Pack for Octoling, but others have already done that and I'd need to play through Octo Expansion for ideas, which I doubt I could finish before The Final Battle.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Since today is Octoling's day in the Character Exploration Thread, screw it. Here's a moveset for Octoling:
  • Jab: A rapid jab, consisting of a punch, kick, then rapid shots of the Splat Dualies that apply ink, finishing with a bigger shot. Octoling can uniquely cancel the rapid jab with a roll, at the cost of ink.
  • Up tilt: An upwards shot of the unnamed bow from Splatoon 3, that comes down with three shots that apply ink. Can you tell I struggled with this one?
  • Down tilt: A one-two swing of the Octobrush that applies ink. The tip has a sweetspot.
  • Dash attack: A running swing of the Sloshing Machine, producing a shot that travels forward and arcs down. The swing has a hitbox, and the shot applies ink and can travel off ledges. Alternatively, the Squid Roll from Splatoon 3.
  • Side smash: A slow but powerful swing of the Ultra Stamp that applies ink and moves Octoling forward.
  • Down smash: A placement of an Ink Mine right below Octoling, that explodes right after as part of the animation. The placement has a hitbox, and the explosion applies ink.
  • Forward aerial: A vertical swing of the Dynamo Roller that leaves a trail of ink to fall as a projectile.
  • Back aerial: A backwards swing and shot of a Rapid Blaster that applies ink. The swing has a hitbox.
  • Up aerial: An upwards swing and brief appearance of a ball of ink, based on the Booyah Bomb's animation.
  • Grab: Your standard set of grabs. Alternatively, the Zipcaster from Splatoon 3.
  • Forward throw: A throw with both arms, based on the Ink Storm's throw animation.
  • The rest of the throws: I can't be bothered to do these, so I'm gonna cheap out and reuse Inkling's throws.
  • Neutral Special: Splat Charger: Octoling pulls out a Splat Charger and aims it. From there, you can angle it up or down with the Control Stick, hold the button to charge the shot and release to fire a trail of ink. Charged shots deal more damage, knockback and ink. Holding the shield button on the ground will cancel the charge into Octoling's ink refill, from which they can release shield to resume charging with previous charge kept or release special to go back to neutral with previous charge lost.
  • Side Special: Splat Brella: Octoling pulls out a Splat Brella and holds it in front of them, absorbing a hit for them. From there, you can hold the button to charge the shot and release to fire the Brella at the cost of ink, where it will travel along the ground, absorb a hit and deal negligible damage, knockback and ink. Charged Brellas travel faster and absorb more hits.
  • Up Special: Inkjet: Octoling goes into an Inkjet and begins to fly. Holding the button will propel Octoling up at the cost of ink, and produce a trail of ink from the jet's exhaust that deals negligible damage and ink and no knockback. If you run out of ink, the jet will explode and Octoling will enter freefall. The explosion has a hitbox that applies ink.
  • Down Special: Torpedo: Octoling pulls out a Torpedo and aims it. From there, you can hold the button to charge the throw and release to throw the Torpedo at the cost of ink, where it will travel until it locks onto an opponent and explode on contact. Charged Torpedoes are thrown faster at a higher angle and deal more damage, knockback and ink.
  • Final Smash: Tenta Missiles: Octoling pulls out a pair of Tenta Missile launchers and becomes invincible. From there, you can move a cursor around the screen and hover over opponents to lock onto them. Once a few seconds have passed, Octoling fires the missiles at the locked-on opponents, which rain down and deal heavy damage, knockback and ink. Yes, this is basically a copy of Covering Fire, but the previous DLC characters aren't too original with their Final Smashes either.

As you can see, I tried to differentiate Octoling from Inkling as much as possible, as this was created as if it could be CP11. I oriented them more around zoning and gave them a much higher emphasis on ink - possibly too high. I might do my take on a Challenger Pack for Octoling, but others have already done that and I'd need to play through Octo Expansion for ideas, which I doubt I could finish before The Final Battle.
Just fail intentionally and have Marina hack the levels for you.

Last edited:

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice

The gimmick can also be the same as Inkling but you have to refill your ink before it empties otherwise you SD. A different take of the Octo Expansion mission type where you have limited ink. There can be different specials too as the Final Smash like the Booyah Bomb (you go in the background then you aim and throw it) or the Splashdown like how it acts in Splatoon 2 (if possible allow for the super jump and splashdown combo if up special is Super Jump).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Two days to go… here’s hoping

Last edited:

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
I hope we get more from the Sakurai Presents other than the Challenger Pack and Mii Costumes since it's the last one. I hope we get something extra like what we had with the replaying spirit battles without getting lucky of it showing up on the spirit board (it can be anything from a mode to something minor). I also hope that the missing URL link gets filled in. if it will then Octoling has a second shot because it could be echoes as the ones filling in the missing URL (as we know echoes don't count towards the fighter number). Smash is full of surprises but if the extra things don't happen I'll be happy with what we will get.

Edit: This is it the day has come and heck part of the title of the stream is called The Final Battle similar to the trailer name we have for our trailer concept.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Nice to see Splatoon got something, at least! I remain confident that this series will be stepping out in a big way whenever we get the next Smash title. 1 rep is way too few for this successful a series, & we all know it!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
just a wig feels a little weak. ah well ill say the same thing i said when this happened to toad and chibi: at least can count this as some form of acknowledgement

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Kinda wish we got Octo Expansion music too

but if Inkling’s Mii meant anything in 4, Octoling’s so making it next game

and Sora deserves it really

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
The last fighter for this game is Sora. I knew it wasn't going to be Octoling, but we at least got an Octoling wig. Even though it's just a wig, it can be worn with the Inkling Gunner outfits. It's a shame we couldn't get Octoling, but now, we'll have to wait until next installment, which won't happen for several years. We should definitely get Octoling next installment, but for now, we got the next best thing,

Once Challenger Pack #11 launches, the game is now 100% completed. Sakurai literally spent a decade of his life working on the series since Kid Icarus Uprising, and now he finally gets to have a break. After almost three years since the game's launch, the last wave of new content is finally ready.

Last edited:
Top Bottom