• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escape to the Surface, Octolings for Smash + splatoon 3 discussion

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman

After seeing this video, it's possible Nintendo actually DID plan to make the OLED Switch have DLSS and 4K support, but couldn't because of the ongoing semiconductor shortage. Both Sony and Microsoft were hit hard by the semiconductor shortage, but Nintendo wasn't so much because the Switch processor is old and plentiful. The semiconductor shortage doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon, and could be the reason why the OLED Switch brought so little new to the table.

While the US is finally going back to normal, many of those Asian countries, including those that manufacture the semiconductors, are still far behind on COVID vaccines.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

After seeing this video, it's possible Nintendo actually DID plan to make the OLED Switch have DLSS and 4K support, but couldn't because of the ongoing semiconductor shortage. Both Sony and Microsoft were hit hard by the semiconductor shortage, but Nintendo wasn't so much because the Switch processor is old and plentiful. The semiconductor shortage doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon, and could be the reason why the OLED Switch brought so little new to the table.

While the US is finally going back to normal, many of those Asian countries, including those that manufacture the semiconductors, are still far behind on COVID vaccines.
Tell me about it, I was hoping to custom build a PC this year but due to the chip shortages I might as well sell one of my kidneys to get a GPU…

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
It may not be all Nintendo's fault the OLED Switch is underwhelming. The semiconductor shortage could be to blame. They just couldn't manufacture the right components to get exactly what they could've given us, so they had to stick with the same old chip set as before.

I didn't spend $300 for my Switch to become an obsolete brick in four years. It's so tempting to get the upgrade, but wouldn't be worth it. The OLED Switch may be a little better than what I have, but it isn't MUCH better. Considering we're this late in the Switch lifespan, and they might announce the next-gen Switch in a few years, I shouldn't get suckered in to buying the OLED Switch. Hopefully, the next-gen Switch would be OLED by default.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It may not be all Nintendo's fault the OLED Switch is underwhelming. The semiconductor shortage could be to blame. They just couldn't manufacture the right components to get exactly what they could've given us, so they had to stick with the same old chip set as before.

I didn't spend $300 for my Switch to become an obsolete brick in four years. It's so tempting to get the upgrade, but wouldn't be worth it. The OLED Switch may be a little better than what I have, but it isn't MUCH better. Considering we're this late in the Switch lifespan, and they might announce the next-gen Switch in a few years, I shouldn't get suckered in to buying the OLED Switch. Hopefully, the next-gen Switch would be OLED by default.
Or just have a full Super Switch in another year.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i severely doubt the oled switch would have been any more powerful even without supply problems

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
I see we have a doubter here. It could also be possible the Switch OLED wasn't really planned to have anything else, even without the semiconductor shortage.

During the 3DS lifespan, I upgraded twice. From the original 3DS, to the 3DS XL, then eventually to the New 3DS XL. But during the Switch lifespan, I shouldn't have to upgrade once, especially if there's nothing actually wrong with my original Switch.

I wonder how some people can use multiple Switch consoles, like ReviewTechUSA. They must have separate Nintendo Network IDs for each system.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I see we have a doubter here. It could also be possible the Switch OLED wasn't really planned to have anything else, even without the semiconductor shortage.

During the 3DS lifespan, I upgraded twice. From the original 3DS, to the 3DS XL, then eventually to the New 3DS XL. But during the Switch lifespan, I shouldn't have to upgrade once, especially if there's nothing actually wrong with my original Switch.

I wonder how some people can use multiple Switch consoles, like ReviewTechUSA. They must have separate Nintendo Network IDs for each system.
You mean me? I don't doubt that this OLED model is an upgrade, I just am hesitant to say it is the "Switch Pro" we have been expecting.
Nintendo tends to upgrade its consoles, specifically the handheld ones, several time in its lifespan. They tend to have minor differences, such a being larger and having one or so more features, before we finally get the actually upgraded model that runs better a couple of before the end of the system generation.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You mean me? I don't doubt that this OLED model is an upgrade, I just am hesitant to say it is the "Switch Pro" we have been expecting.
Nintendo tends to upgrade its consoles, specifically the handheld ones, several time in its lifespan. They tend to have minor differences, such a being larger and having one or so more features, before we finally get the actually upgraded model that runs better a couple of before the end of the system generation.
well of course it isn’t the switch pro people were expecting, it was based on rumours and here say

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't actually referring to you. Also, I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with doubting. Of course there isn't.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I wasn't actually referring to you. Also, I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with doubting. Of course there isn't.
Gotcha. Just explaining my thoughts, regardless.

Does anyone else feel that an Octoling is actually BEST served as an echo? It could be different, but I'm not sure it really would serve the best, considering they are identically played in the game. At best, one or two move differences, such as final Smash.

I know the color thing is also brought up- I don't really see this as a problem, if they just used darker shades of the Inkling colors (because they are dark and evil).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Gotcha. Just explaining my thoughts, regardless.

Does anyone else feel that an Octoling is actually BEST served as an echo? It could be different, but I'm not sure it really would serve the best, considering they are identically played in the game. At best, one or two move differences, such as final Smash.

I know the color thing is also brought up- I don't really see this as a problem, if they just used darker shades of the Inkling colors (because they are dark and evil).
The enemy ones are, but I’m going off the playable Octolings from Octo Expansion

my cute innocent babies 🥺

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The enemy ones are, but I’m going off the playable Octolings from Octo Expansion

my cute innocent babies 🥺
NGL, I have no memory of Octolings.
I do remember playing as the Octolings when they were added to the regular online battles, and I don't remember any differences.
Am I misremembering?

Paraster

Smash Lord
NGL, I have no memory of Octolings.
I do remember playing as the Octolings when they were added to the regular online battles, and I don't remember any differences.
Am I misremembering?
Octolings are identical to Inklings in gameplay, but adding them to Smash would be a good way to utilize weapons not present in Inkling's Smash moveset (Dualies, Brellas, Splatlings, Chargers--and that's not even getting into different versions of weapons, like the Dynamo Roller as opposed to the Splat Roller).

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Octolings are identical to Inklings in gameplay, but adding them to Smash would be a good way to utilize weapons not present in Inkling's Smash moveset (Dualies, Brellas, Splatlings, Chargers--and that's not even getting into different versions of weapons, like the Dynamo Roller as opposed to the Splat Roller).
But...I mean why?
I don't support characters in Smash playing differently just because they can. I support them feeling like they are ripped out of there game.
Sort of why I don't support a unique moveset for Shadow, the character created to be a clone of Sonic.

Octoling- alter the stats, sure. A different roller, etc. But keep the fundamental gameplay mechanics, make them feel almost the same- speed, weight, everything.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
But...I mean why?
I don't support characters in Smash playing differently just because they can. I support them feeling like they are ripped out of there game.
Sort of why I don't support a unique moveset for Shadow, the character created to be a clone of Sonic.

Octoling- alter the stats, sure. A different roller, etc. But keep the fundamental gameplay mechanics, make them feel almost the same- speed, weight, everything.
Splatoon is all about different weapons, so if they have a chance to go that way with Octoling, I say go for it. It's not a stretch as that's how it is in the original game. Inkling and Octoling play the same, yes, but the variety of weapons are a chance to make it more interesting.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i would argue that either way sort of makes sense. having them be unique could be reflective of every player having their preferred playstyle. though you could argue inklings moveset does this already. but having them be echoes would be reflective of the fact that they are functionally identical to the inklings in all their forms. from players to enemies even in octo expansion the only difference is theyve got a bomb strapped to their back.

also do none of you remember that this was originally a thread for them getting in as echoes?

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah, I could definitely see the reasoning of them being Echoes, but wouldn't be surprised if they were made more unique either.

As a side thought, many speculate that the last character may take a while because it's a new character. This made me think of Splatoon 3, while still a while away and timing may not exactly line up, I wonder if any elements from it would be present in a hypothetical Splatoon rep for the last DLC slot (new weapons for instance).

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Splatoon is all about different weapons, so if they have a chance to go that way with Octoling, I say go for it. It's not a stretch as that's how it is in the original game. Inkling and Octoling play the same, yes, but the variety of weapons are a chance to make it more interesting.
They could make Splatoon invisible to represent that it is not seen on the radar. They could give Octolings the ability to Roll when they land. They Could let the character respawn near teammates in team battle.

It doens't mean this actually feels like the character.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
I know it can't happen in this installment, but if both the playable and enemy Octolings were to join Smash, should they be part of the same character slot, with six of them being playable (three girls and three boys), and two of them being enemy (like Steve), or should one slot have all eight of them being the playable Octolings, and one slot being the enemy Octolings? They can use different weapons and final smashes. Enemy Octolings might be slightly bigger.

If enemy Octolings were to join, Inkling and Octoling (playable) will have more competition from the same series. It's just an idea. Maybe Splatoon 3 can introduce male enemy Octolings.

After all, we do have two Roys in the roster, albeit one of them being part of Bowser Jr.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I know it can't happen in this installment, but if both the playable and enemy Octolings were to join Smash, should they be part of the same character slot, with six of them being playable (three girls and three boys), and two of them being enemy (like Steve), or should one slot have all eight of them being the playable Octolings, and one slot being the enemy Octolings? They can use different weapons and final smashes. Enemy Octolings might be slightly bigger.

If enemy Octolings were to join, Inkling and Octoling (playable) will have more competition from the same series. It's just an idea. Maybe Splatoon 3 can introduce male enemy Octolings.

After all, we do have two Roys in the roster, albeit one of them being part of Bowser Jr.
seems a little redundant having them be separate characters

I think the idea is that the playable octolings are former enemy ones anyway

Last edited:

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so we can have it be like Steve, where six of them are playable (3 boys and 3 girls) and two of them are enemy Octolings (standard and sanitized). That sounds fair.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I find it strange that Sakurai didn't celebrate Splatoon 2's anniversary, it would've been easy given the Splatoon 2 mii costumes. I've also been wondering why they didn't do a mii costume for octolings since they've done so for for both 1 and 2 inklings, and even squid sisters. Not saying they'll be in or anything, part of me feels like they would want octoling as an isabelle level character rather than a full on unique dlc one, but I think they have a strange lack of stuff in that department. Splatoon 3 is happening soon so doing a promotion for Splatoon now wouldn't be out of the question.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I find it strange that Sakurai didn't celebrate Splatoon 2's anniversary, it would've been easy given the Splatoon 2 mii costumes. I've also been wondering why they didn't do a mii costume for octolings since they've done so for for both 1 and 2 inklings, and even squid sisters. Not saying they'll be in or anything, part of me feels like they would want octoling as an isabelle level character rather than a full on unique dlc one, but I think they have a strange lack of stuff in that department. Splatoon 3 is happening soon so doing a promotion for Splatoon now wouldn't be out of the question.
They could have also done Off the Hook Miis…

but yeah that is odd

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
1627089315942.jpeg

a relevant meme

also just saying, one of the stations where you find one of the four Thangs is Smash and Dash Station

yes I know it’s likely a coincidence, but I want to believe

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sooooo

the 8.8.2018 direct that revealed the Belmonts, two echoes, and King K. Rool got privated in most regions (except for Australia where it got deadass deleted)

news this month…?

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Sooooo

the 8.8.2018 direct that revealed the Belmonts, two echoes, and King K. Rool got privated in most regions (except for Australia where it got deadass deleted)

news this month…?
There have been numerous Directs in the past (such as the January 2020 Pokémon Direct) that have been temporarily privated as if a new Direct was coming, only for nothing to happen. I doubt this means anything for certain.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sooooo

news this month…?
I’m not sure we can expect news in the same month as three years ago

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
sad. I had no internet when it happened. If the internet actually worked I would have participated.

Last edited:

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Sorry for the self-promotion, but I've just released my first YouTube video, and given it's about Splatoon, I figured it might interest you:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sorry for the self-promotion, but I've just released my first YouTube video, and given it's about Splatoon, I figured it might interest you:
well its on topic so i guess theres no harm. i have to really stretch the topic to plug my stuff

Top Bottom