• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escape to the Surface, Octolings for Smash + splatoon 3 discussion

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

This month's Tsukiichi League Match will be held from 21:00 to 23:00 on Saturday, May 29th! The rule is "Gachiasari", and the stage is "Kombu Truck" and "B Bus Park". The target is "League Match: Team" and the ranking of the Japanese region. We will commend the 1st to 3rd place and the top team of bronze medals "Bronze Top Award".

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
Apparently there's a new theory regarding crowd cheers from characters in Fighter's Pass 2. As usual PapaGenos covers it. Do you all think this theory impacts Octoling's chances.

It's got to do with the amount of voice clips of the character's crowd cheer and how there are fewer voice actors for crowd cheers across languages. Look at video for more details.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Apparently there's a new theory regarding crowd cheers from characters in Fighter's Pass 2. As usual PapaGenos covers it. Do you all think this theory impacts Octoling's chances.

It's got to do with the amount of voice clips of the character's crowd cheer and how there are fewer voice actors for crowd cheers across languages. Look at video for more details.
I don’t think so, Inkling’s name in EU countries is just “Inkling” with an appropriate gendered word tacked on. I think they’d do the same for Octoling

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Shio Colors / Shio Colors I drew it for the first time after entering the request box. It was so fun to draw!!!
are you using google translate by any chance?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
Specifically Splatoon 2 and Super Smash Bros Ultimate does this hint to anything probably not but it's interesting to see this is happening. Also Splatoon 3 has been rumoured to come to E3 this year according to Samus Hunter a credible leaker.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Specifically Splatoon 2 and Super Smash Bros Ultimate does this hint to anything probably not but it's interesting to see this is happening. Also Splatoon 3 has been rumoured to come to E3 this year according to Samus Hunter a credible leaker.
itd be weird if it wasnt

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

2015 "Splatoon" released today !! Although it has a relatively short history, it has become one of Nintendo's representative titles. I'm looking forward to "3"! I am doing my best, such as the Smash Bros. version and the ink that has fallen to the ground, which has a subtle expression of excitement. #Smash Bros SP

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know if Octoling is one of the last two I kinda want the final display of all the characters to play “Into The Light” from Octo Expansion

or if Octoling IS the last character and they’re shown in Ultimate’s Final Video Presentation, maybe they play The Plan during the announcement of the final presentation

...but no that’d make it too obvious

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If anyone watches the Splatoon YouTuber Viantastic, if Octoling is confirmed im looking forward to that Bridgett Tries Super Smash Bros. Ultimate video 😂

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
someone must have suggested the idea that we raise that little small fry into a boss salmonid that helps out in certain modes right?

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
4 days left guys…

idk, could Octoling be an E3 reveal? 🤔
While E3 is usually where bigger characters get revealed, the last two fighters of a newcomer cycle are typically smaller ones, and in my eyes the two cancel each other out. I also question the validity of 'E3 Smash reveals are more hype' when, in 2013, Nintendo revealed :ultpalutena: at their main conference, then at a separate talk behind closed doors, they revealed :ultpacman:. Lastly, Fighters Pass vol. 2 has already been all over the place: we got a small recent first-party character, then two massive third-party characters, followed by another small recent first-party. Given all of this, I think we could see anyone this E3, Veemos and Oomis included.

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
It also seems that the characters in this Fighter's Pass are characters that couldn't make the cut for base game.
Min Min: Sakurai wanted an ARMS rep but was too late to add one
Steve/Alex: Negations took forever but really got into it until 2020.
Sephiroth: Probably Square Enix being hard to negotiate with (in terms of Final Fantasy) or something like that.
Pyra/Mythra: Sakurai wanted a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 rep but was too late to add one aka Rex & Pyra but instead of Rex we got Mythra because as mentioned in presentation.

Note: Sakurai acknowledges the existance of Octoling Boy & Octoling Girl as they are spirits in game.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It also seems that the characters in this Fighter's Pass are characters that couldn't make the cut for base game.
Min Min: Sakurai wanted an ARMS rep but was too late to add one
Steve/Alex: Negations took forever but really got into it until 2020.
Sephiroth: Probably Square Enix being hard to negotiate with (in terms of Final Fantasy) or something like that.
Pyra/Mythra: Sakurai wanted a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 rep but was too late to add one aka Rex & Pyra but instead of Rex we got Mythra because as mentioned in presentation.
I think Octoling could fit that bill as Octo Expansion was announced around the same time as Ultimate and there’s little Splatoon 2 content and NO Octo Expansion music specifically in base (two spirits, both of Agent 8)

Staarih

Smash Master
I feel like Octoling or any Splatoon rep for that matter is severely overlooked for this pass. Nintendo clearly treats the franchise as a big thing with Splatoon 3 being the final "big" announcement of the last Direct and all. I think anyone is fair game at E3, so yeah Octoling could very well be revealed at E3 imo. I think a whole fighter pass for another Splatoon rep has always been in the cards, honestly. I also agree that Octoling would fit the timeline of "not quite made it to base game" like some other fighters introduced this pass, plus riding the wave of the upcoming Splatoon 3 would just work so well.

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Octoling or any Splatoon rep for that matter is severely overlooked for this pass. Nintendo clearly treats the franchise as a big thing with Splatoon 3 being the final "big" announcement of the last Direct and all. I think anyone is fair game at E3, so yeah Octoling could very well be revealed at E3 imo. I think a whole fighter pass for another Splatoon rep has always been in the cards, honestly. I also agree that Octoling would fit the timeline of "not quite made it to base game" like some other fighters introduced this pass, plus riding the wave of the upcoming Splatoon 3 would just work so well.
I agree people overlook it because people either say 'we just got Inkling it's too soon' or in this scenario 'it's not a good E3 pick' or 'it can't happen for the final two' What are your opinions on these. This is what people say against the possibility of Octoling happening.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
3 days left till more Splatoon 3 info… and the next (and possibly last) Smash reveals

just be wary, leaks can pop up soon

Top Bottom