• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escape to the Surface, Octolings for Smash + splatoon 3 discussion

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
In many ways Splatoon 2 felt like a refined version of Splatoon 1, just to introduce the series to the Switch audience. So I'm really excited to see what they do with 3 to shake things up, both because it's their first chance and to differentiate it from 2 (which is on the same console).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh I just noticed

since the world is a desert wasteland there’s probably no longer gonna be any water hazards

right...?

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
One way I could see past characters returning would be if Splatsville had an airport nearby where they have flights from Inkopolis. They could even have a stage based on said airport.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We also saw airplanes flying over Inkopolis Square...

God I just want to see more of Splatsville already 🥺

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Having an airport near Splatsville would allow past characters to fly there. They might call it "Flyfish Airlines" if it does come as a stage. The background can show jellyfish guiding the planes, or going through security. Weapons would only be allowed in the battle area.

Last edited:

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone I have found this PapaGenos video on him covering a recent discovery about a potential bonus fighter. What do you all think of this?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey everyone I have found this PapaGenos video on him covering a recent discovery about a potential bonus fighter. What do you all think of this?
I mean it could be a surprise 7th pass slot, OR an individual DLC like Piranha Plant

either would be a good outcome for our lil veemos

just pls give music if they’re individual, I’ll accept no stage/spirit board if that’s the case

Last edited:

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion if a bonus character is happening it would be the perfect time to add Octoling considering Splatoon 3 won't be far off. In my opinion Splatoon 3 will release around May-July. Also if that happens please have music with them (Octo Expansion music is so underrated and also add Octoling Rendezvous as it's the music we hear when we first encounter the Octolings in the series) and a few spirits (unless we're having a Spirit Event for Splatoon 3).

LordOfSpade

Smash Rookie
In my opinion if a bonus character is happening it would be the perfect time to add Octoling considering Splatoon 3 won't be far off. In my opinion Splatoon 3 will release around May-July. Also if that happens please have music with them (Octo Expansion music is so underrated and also add Octoling Rendezvous as it's the music we hear when we first encounter the Octolings in the series) and a few spirits (unless we're having a Spirit Event for Splatoon 3).
Adding Octoling without "Fly Octo Fly", "Nasty Majesty" or "Octoling Rendezvous" would just be wrong. There are other songs I'd include as well such as "Shark Bytes" and "Splatattack (Octo)", but I feel like those three are just obligatory.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Adding Octoling without "Fly Octo Fly", "Nasty Majesty" or "Octoling Rendezvous" would just be wrong. There are other songs I'd include as well such as "Shark Bytes" and "Splatattack (Octo)", but I feel like those three are just obligatory.
smash would do that happily

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
That would be cool not gonna lie. Would be against bots with a difficulty you can set and go on any stage and maybe split-screen multiplayer.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Because Splatoon 3 is set in a completely different location, and that Riva and Lumi are from a fan-made version of Splatoon 3, it's not likely that these characters will become canon.

CoralStar.jpg

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Us Americans hardly get any Splatoon-related stuff. We only see stuff for American-made franchises like Star Wars and Transformers.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know I’ve been thinking

with all the talk about the upcoming Super Switch, think Splatoon 3 may be Super Switch exclusive?

Staarih

Smash Master

with all the talk about the upcoming Super Switch, think Splatoon 3 may be Super Switch exclusive?
I personally doubt that. Would be kinda scummy to have it revealed for the Switch and later going "oh, it's actually only playable on the new system". Same thing with BotW2. I feel like if they're already announced for the Switch, the OG Switch will get them and they'll just be enhanced on the supposed upgraded system. If they were announced after the reveal of this new system, then maybe. Both those games would and will nevertheless be great at driving sales for the system anyway.

I don't think there's ever been an instance with Nintendo where they've revealed a game for a console and having it not actually be playable on the console. With the New 3DS, the system was already revealed and any exclusive games to it were stated to be as such from the get-go. And stuff like BotW got on the Wii U anyway even if the main focus was shifted to the Switch.

But I dunno, Nintendo could take the route of making them exclusives too I guess.

Last edited:

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209

2021.04.23-15.36.png

Taken from the game's page on Nintendo UK's website. Again, if they've already announced it for the Switch, I doubt they'll then say it's a Super Switch exclusive.

As a bonus, the New 3DS didn't have many meaningful exclusives either: according to the system's Wikipedia article, it only had 7 exclusives, 4 of which (including the 2 Nintendo-published ones) were ports from other systems. If this was to ensure people without the New 3DS didn't feel like they were missing out, they'd probably carry that philosophy over to the Super Switch.

I could be totally wrong about the Super Switch - I doubted its existence for a long time until it was datamined in the Switch's firmware - but I am at least 95% sure Splatoon 3 will not be a Super Switch exclusive.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Idk why but I have a strong feeling that if one of the last two is a Nintendo character, Octoling’s gonna be it

also you know how Hero’s trailer used the Dark Realm possession aura? I was thinking giving random enemy smashers the full body Galeem Clone effect as a stand in for Sanitization for Octoling’s trailer

come on it’s so obvious

also I hope by the end of dlc they give the WoL possession/clone effects available for everyone outside of WoL

Last edited:

MiniGeek2000

Smash Apprentice
Also there's a speculation of a bonus fighter happening after Fighter Pass 2 which by the way Octoling would be a great candidate because of Splatoon 3. PapaGenos went over and discussed what could happen. Split into two parts.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Also there's a speculation of a bonus fighter happening after Fighter Pass 2 which by the way Octoling would be a great candidate because of Splatoon 3. PapaGenos went over and discussed what could happen. Split into two parts.

is he named after that pizza guy who did some shady stuff?

Top Bottom