• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Error Code 160-0103

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
So, I got this error code yesterday and now I unable to play Smash Bros for the Wii U, in any mode.
The story goes:
I was playing For Glory mode yesterday morning then I was in a mode with a horrible amount of lag (I'm talking 2fps here) So, I did the unthinkable and quit the match. I tried to enter another match and it says "wait 10 minutes", so I got offline and started playing challenge mode. I turn the game off for about 6 hours.
I turn the game on, I go through all the menus fine. I start a local Multiplayer match make to screen selection and BAM! I'm hit with this error code it say there is a problem with the system memory.
So, I try some other games and they work fine. Then I try deleting my Smash Bros.'s data. The save data and Shared data are erased easily, but with I try deleting the Update Data I get a similar error about system memory.
This location in my Wii U memory has problem reading the update data. So I know that the next option is to either format my Wii U or send it in for repairs neither is an optimal solution.
Are there any fixes that you guys may know?

FantasticFranco

Smash Rookie
DO NOT FORMAT YOUR CONSOLE

Holy crap, I did that now I can't play anything. Everything that you wrote about has happened to me but I actually TRIED to format. Now, I'm stuck at the "erasing all saved data" screen and my wii u gamepad is stuck in that white screen that tells you how to connect your wii u to your tv in English, French, Spanish, and Italian.

As for the cure, I have none. Godspeed brother, hopefully you don't have to send your console back.

Last edited:

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
Man, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you backed up everything before you did that :(
I've seen this issue pop-up on a couple of groups that I'm in, so this is a bit of a problem for a few people. Hopefully there is a patch on the way.
My Wii U is nearly 2 years old now and I've never had this issue with another game. I'm guessing it has something to do with the update data for Smash Bros. I'm going to contact Nintendo tomorrow and see what advice they have to offer, thanks for the warning. I'll make sure to post any info they give me that may help. Until then looks like no smash 4 for a while :(

teDDieh

Smash Rookie
Hey mate,
i got the same Problem aswell. I already contacted Nintendo, and their only option was also to send it in.
I searched the net for any other options, and it appears that more and more players are experiencing this problem. So i hope that there will be an update/patch soon, to fix this, since Nintendo wont be able to handle all those repairs and its clearly a Data default and not a Hardware troubleshoot.
Do you got any News or Solutions?

Olise

Smash Rookie
I also got this error code and I made a video about it to demonstrate my problem.
But when I put my disc in I can't even get to see the main menu it gives me the error code.
Hope it's just a Nintendo problem because my wii u is fairly new.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Haven't experienced this personally, but it sounds like it's something on Nintendo's end, since it seems to be reasonably common. Guess the best thing to do is to either send it to them or wait and keep calling them each day to get a status report on the issue, and hope that there's a patch for it soon.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

TimLikesTrains

Smash Rookie
NNID
TimPrater
3DS FC
1220-6693-9429
So, I got this error code yesterday and now I unable to play Smash Bros for the Wii U, in any mode.
The story goes:
I was playing For Glory mode yesterday morning then I was in a mode with a horrible amount of lag (I'm talking 2fps here) So, I did the unthinkable and quit the match. I tried to enter another match and it says "wait 10 minutes", so I got offline and started playing challenge mode. I turn the game off for about 6 hours.
I turn the game on, I go through all the menus fine. I start a local Multiplayer match make to screen selection and BAM! I'm hit with this error code it say there is a problem with the system memory.
So, I try some other games and they work fine. Then I try deleting my Smash Bros.'s data. The save data and Shared data are erased easily, but with I try deleting the Update Data I get a similar error about system memory.
This location in my Wii U memory has problem reading the update data. So I know that the next option is to either format my Wii U or send it in for repairs neither is an optimal solution.
Are there any fixes that you guys may know?
I'm not even able to start my Smash Bros anymore. It just comes up with the error, so I tried deleting the Smash Bros Data, and the Update Data didn't allow me to delete it. So my only hope is to wait and see if the next Update somehow fixes it..

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Luckily, I'm experiencing this with save data on a flash drive so I don't have to send in my console. However, I really don't wanna delete my data and have to unlock the abundance of unlockables in this game. I get the same error in Smash Bros as I do when I try to transfer to data over to my system memory. Bayonetta, which is also on my flash drive, runs perfectly fine so it's smashes fault.

Is there any fix or are we boned?

When trying to play, I get error code 160-0105 which and when trying to move the data I get error code 160-4712

Last edited:

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
I'm getting it too... the only thing I can play is Smash, every other mode has the risk of getting this error for me. For some reason, I can't play Meta Knight or training mode at all though. Already deleted all my data from the past week in an attempt to fix it, but the only way is to get rid of the stupid update file. Hope Nintendo can fix this.

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
I've emailed Nintendo and I'm still waiting on a response.
From what I've read online this is a corruption within the system memory, it has to do with the "flash-memory" of the console itself.
This error has happened to multiple players on multiple Wii U titles. Since this is a problem with the system itself; it is unlikely that this can issue can be fixed by an update. I believe a patch could reduce the likelihood of this error, but not solve the issue if it has already occured, seeing how this is a hardware malfunction ( I could be mistaken by the nature of the issue).
But judging on how a system factory reset can't fix the problem, I'm not 100% convinced that a software patch will solve it either.
So, we may all just have to bite the bullet and send out consoles in and wait a few weeks for them to be repaired.

That is, if my hypothesis is correct...

One last thing: For me this is an issue with the Update Data for Smash only. Deleting the Save Data will not solve the problem (I've already tried). So don't delete all your hard work. Make a copy of the Save Data if you plan on Formatting your system.
(Formatting is NOT recommended!!!).
Formatting could potential brick your system, making it completely unusable.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I've emailed Nintendo and I'm still waiting on a response.
From what I've read online this is a corruption within the system memory, it has to do with the "flash-memory" of the console itself.
This error has happened to multiple players on multiple Wii U titles. Since this is a problem with the system itself; it is unlikely that this can issue can be fixed by an update. I believe a patch could reduce the likelihood of this error, but not solve the issue if it has already occured, seeing how this is a hardware malfunction ( I could be mistaken by the nature of the issue).
But judging on how a system factory reset can't fix the problem, I'm not 100% convinced that a software patch will solve it either.
So, we may all just have to bite the bullet and send out consoles in and wait a few weeks for them to be repaired.

That is, if my hypothesis is correct...

One last thing: For me this is an issue with the Update Data for Smash only. Deleting the Save Data will not solve the problem (I've already tried). So don't delete all your hard work. Make a copy of the Save Data if you plan on Formatting your system.
(Formatting is NOT recommended!!!).
Formatting could potential brick your system, making it completely unusable.
I had to reset my save data completely due to me not being able to move Smash save data to my system. Funny enough, I could move Bayonetta, a 11 GB game, just fine

teDDieh

Smash Rookie
It is definetly not a hardware problem. There is a malfunction in the update Data of smash bros, so a fix should be possible. Since more and more players are experiencing this problem daily, nintendo will have to react pretty fast. They would lose thousands of dollars by repairing hundreds of consoles.

So thats why i wait for an update to fix this.

JonTVcentral

Smash Rookie
This just happened to me yesterday, and I've been doing extensive research into this matter to figure out just what is going on. So from what I understand, this issue has to be related to Update Data from the Smash Bros game and not the Wii U itself. I can still use the console normally without any issues. I purchased Smash U on launch day and have had no issues at all until yesterday, peculiarly, the same time everyone has reported of this crisis. Other games and applications act fine. However, when I either access either Data Management or insert my Smash Brothers U disk, I get the infamous error codes.

Error Code: 160-0103 (When attempting to insert Smash U into console)

Error Code: 160-1710 (When attempting to access Data Management)

Both of these, from online research, appear to be the same error, being "unable to find a specific error code" and suggest to either call Nintendo Support or ship the console for repairs. The fact that both errors are related to software data and that other applications work fine can only point to Smash U. It makes me wonder if there is some kind of infection going around, since not everyone has been afflicted. I played the "For Glory" mode for a few hours on my last session before this happened.Those who have called Nintendo Support seem to report that they are simply told to either format their console or ship them in. Well, formatting the Wii U seems to clearly brick the system for those who have done so. I think Nintendo is not even aware of the issue and hasn't yet acknowledged it since they are telling people to just format their system, only causing bricking. I hope that light is shed on this issue so we the victims do not have to spend hundreds of more dollars for repairs.

Last edited:

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
If this was simply a data issue then wiping it via system reset should fix the problem. However if it is a software issue and it can be solved with an update then what caused the problem in the first place? This isn't a Smash Bros. Specific problem; this has happened in many different titles.
The update data is being read/stored incorrectly, that we can say for sure. But why only select Wii Us?
Maybe holding out for a update is the better solution. But this could take a while, as there hasn't been any type of announcement/acknowledgment on this issue.

teDDieh

Smash Rookie
I've never seen such a drastic announcement in the first week of a game release, just for the commercial factor, selling a game that can cause this fault that probably isn't solved yet, could result in a dropdown in sales.

I've been researching, and the biggest problem is, that it is a Nintendo title, and therefore it is really hard to report software issues. At least i haven't found anywhere to report this, besides the bad trained Customerservice.

I know that it happened before, but the cases before are very rare and most likely happened for a real technical issue.
But the numbers this time are speaking against it, and maybe just make it look like hardware issue. Thats maybe, why nintendo doesnt realize this.

Lets just hope for the best.

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
You make some very good points, So I will report this issue again, in a few days if I don't get a response.

Has then error been happening to a lot of people who were trying to play smash? I wasn't sure if this was an isolated incident due to this topic not being on Smashboards yet.
. It is reassuring that this is a large problem; that means a larger error could be put towards solving it.

Last edited by a moderator:

JonTVcentral

Smash Rookie
Has then error been happening to a lot of people who were trying to play smash? I wasn't sure if this was an isolated incident due to this topic not being on Smashboards yet.
. It is reassuring that this is a large problem; that means a larger error could be put towards solving it.
I would probably guess that it definitely has been happening to a large group of people who are trying to play Smash, since the only searches I find online about the error codes are related to it and are all within November 22 to present. It couldn't be a coincidence, so must be probably isolated.

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
I have found a posts about this error code. One was from Pikmin 3 the other from Mario 3D World, I wonder if this is just happening to older consoles. I bought mine about 2 years ago.

Sephirothkefka

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sephirothkefka
3DS FC
0344-9296-3509
I would assume that the download failed and part of the flash memory or a file is screwed up. I'd just send the damn thing in. Although I can say is that when I got my Wii U for Christmas 2012, it was stuck loading NSMBU. I think deleting the update file and reinstalling it helped. Other wise no problems with mine :D

JonTVcentral

Smash Rookie
I do have some possible hope without wasting $150 on a repair. It seems someone else who had this issue for another game was able to have their console fixed from a System Update. If Nintendo just released any kind of update or patch, the consoles may be able to be saved. The only problem is, this may take a very long time until Nintendo has acknowledged this issue from enough people having faced the problem; or it may not be guaranteed to work. I see the number of affected users growing from day to day so that may help them realize the bigger picture. The article I found is here:

http: //techforums.nintendo.com/message/145196#145196

Last edited:

Sephirothkefka

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sephirothkefka
3DS FC
0344-9296-3509
I do have some possible hope without wasting $150 on a repair. It seems someone else who had this issue for another game was able to have their console fixed from a System Update. If Nintendo just released any kind of update or patch, the consoles may be able to be saved. The only problem is, this may take a very long time until Nintendo has acknowledged this issue from enough people having faced the problem; or it may not be guaranteed to work. I see the number of affected users growing from day to day so that may help them realize the bigger picture. The article I found is here:

http: //techforums.nintendo.com/message/145196#145196
I dunno about this... I would hope that it would be something the update repaired but it may not be known as to what either version 5.2.0 of the Wii U Menu or version 1.0.1 did for SSB. I'm also wondering about that Scribblenauts disc...

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Wow, these stories are quite scary.

As of now, I've experienced no problems whatsoever, everything seems to be running smoothly. I got my Wii U from the Zelda WWHD Bundle.

What do you guys recommend I do to prevent this problem from happening to me? Disconnect my Wii U from the internet entirely?

Last edited:

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'll just play Mario Kart 8 and 3D World for the time being until this gets fixed. And if it can't be fixed, then I'll sell the game for some credit.

I love Smash Bros, but I'm not going to risk my Wii U to play it. I have the 3DS version if I need to get my Smash fix. At least there, I can stay offline if I want to avoid any errors.

I am a little bothered by the errors that are popping up in both versions of Smash. Maybe the development of 2 versions at the same time spread the team kind thin and took away some quality control.

PlanFive

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone! While I am lucky enough not to get this error code, I did a quick check out of curiosity on the internet on other message boards regarding that error code when people get it playing other games. It seems like when other people get it in other games, the error occurs when they turn off the system when the game is trying to autosave data. I checked and realized that in the main menus in Smash that there are no indicators of when the game is trying to load or save data, minus the loading screens when entering and exiting a match. Possibly, the game could be saving something in the background without the user knowing it, and if the user turns off the system while doing so, it could corrupt the game data.

All this is theoretical and should be taken with a grain of salt, but it would connect some of the points made by other users in this thread on how Smash is causing the issue and how other games work fine.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Hello everyone! While I am lucky enough not to get this error code, I did a quick check out of curiosity on the internet on other message boards regarding that error code when people get it playing other games. It seems like when other people get it in other games, the error occurs when they turn off the system when the game is trying to autosave data. I checked and realized that in the main menus in Smash that there are no indicators of when the game is trying to load or save data, minus the loading screens when entering and exiting a match. Possibly, the game could be saving something in the background without the user knowing it, and if the user turns off the system while doing so, it could corrupt the game data.

All this is theoretical and should be taken with a grain of salt, but it would connect some of the points made by other users in this thread on how Smash is causing the issue and how other games work fine.
if the auto save is the problem, i always go back to the title screen anyway so maybe I'm safe when I do that

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
Just got my Wii U and Smash Bundle in the mail two days ago. Scared as crap to hook up either one now. Think I'll just play Mario Kart 8 instead....

Hartenberg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hartenberg
3DS FC
1220-8573-2488
It looks like all the people having problems with this are people who own a physical copy of the game. I have yet to see one person with a digital copy be affected by the error code. So hopefully I, as well as many others, are in the clear

For those who have been affected by it, I'm sorry. I hope everything gets fixed for you guys somehow.

These damn AAA games are a nightmare it seems....

SmashBall2012

Smash Rookie
NNID
MH1994
This will be fixed within the next 3 days at maximum.

How are you sure about that?

Ever since I heard about the error code today, I couldn't play Smash Bros for Wii U today cause I wanted to avoid those error codes and a bricked Wii U at all costs.
I only went online once in a For Fun battle which lagged horribly, and that's all I did with Online mode. For the most part I didn't have my internet hotspot running on my laptop when playing Smash Bros for Wii U.

Guess the safest thing to do now is to wait for Nintendo to get their hands on this and try and fix it up I suppose.

Hartenberg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hartenberg
3DS FC
1220-8573-2488
My advice to anyone is if you want to play Smash, just do so offline. That's what I plan on doing. DO NOT TOUCH FOR GLORY. At all. A lot of the problems seem to be stemming from there (whether that is coincidence or not, is up for speculation) Whether you have digital or physical copies. Just wait until we get an official announcement from Nintendo on all of this.

Top Bottom