• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Error code: 118-0516

Frenzy

Smash Apprentice
"Failed to connect to partner's device."

Had this a few times yesterday but on my third or fourth try it let me play. Been trying to join anything for the last hour no luck. Went through spotify on my labtop, got on immediately. But then my spotify timer ended for the day, back to not being able to connect via a plain wifi connection.

It worked yesterday, what's up?

Frenzy

Smash Apprentice
Whole world is enjoying smash, I'm unable to get online. I don't understand. It worked Friday, why isn't it working now. Already wasted two hours of my life repeatedly trying to connect.

I have a fast internet connection.

Bleck

Smash Master
This error is caused by NAT forward issues. Finding out what ports the Wii U requires open and making them so should solve this problem, as should putting your Wii U on your router's DMZ.

terrorclaw12

Smash Rookie
I'm having A LOT of trouble with this. Even putting Wii U on my router's DMZ is giving me issues. Called nintendo support and i'm basically getting the cold shoulder here. I can connect to 1v1 matches and MK8 games just fine.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Been having this problem since the 3DS version. It almost always takes me 7 or 8 times to "find the partner's device". Can someone give me a step by step guide on how to fix this?

Oh, and FYI I'm using a at&t hotspot, and it works perfectly well, no lag or anything once I DO connect to someone. Mario Kart 8 online is flawless, too.

wmo_

Smash Cadet
I think it's a matchmaking issue. I've received this error before, my network settings were fine. I'm pretty sure this comes up when no suitable opponent is found (they're too far away aka too laggy)

Bleck

Smash Master
how do you do that? cause I'm having problem with that too, but with wifi from my router
You have to access your router and change the settings manually, and how one does so depends on what kind of router they have. You can find detailed instructions and more information at portforward.com.

Holkman

Smash Rookie
Im having problems here. I cant even change my portforward for my router either..Anyone got another solution?

The Cryomancer

Smash Rookie
I'm having these problems too. Could it be because I'm Swedish and live in Sweden? It shouldn't, because it works fine when I play MK8. Any help would be immensely appreciated.

/The Cryomancer

Ampetrix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christopaz
3DS FC
4527-8084-1972
I'll put a checklist here.
OMG I GOT THE DREADED ERROR 118-0516 / 008-0516!!!!!!!1!11! (It can be from 14-21, I presume)
WHAT TO DO?!
Things to know:
-Access to your router settings(do they even have passwords and stuff?)
-Access to your modem settings(Administrator privileges one, not user)
1. Go check error code look-up at Nintendo's support website and do the following instructions(Assigning static IP, Port forwarding, uPnP, and DMZ).
2. Doesn't work? It's a possibility your modem also acts like a hybrid of sorts (modem/router), fix this by doing bridge mode to the router. (Given that you have the modem-router-pc setup). Try the other way around if that doesn't work(Didn't work for me from bridging the router to modem). Don't know how to access your modem's settings? Search the internet. Bridging the modem kills the awfully strict NAT in it so that you can have you're Open NAT on your router. Every modem is different so I'm not gonna bother to add steps here in detail, the internet's a huge library you know...
--SITUATION FROM ME-- I bridged the router to modem, and the modem even has a CONE NAT option(Open NAT) and I still get the error. I can't really port forward there since I need port range forwarding not specific port forwarding. Also did the DMZ, still get the error.
3.(Just a THEORY.) In case that didn't even work, at least make sure that you have DMZ'd and port forwarded in the router(or CONE NAT option in mine) and switch the router to gateway mode or back from whatever you had before bridge mode, and test again.

I don't think the error code appears due to how far you are, since I have a dial-up connection before that doesn't give out this error code at all and plays like local(given the instance no one else's around to steal the bandwidth).

ALSO, Nintendo wants to open all ports (1 - 65535) indicated by their support website, ugh hoped they'd be more specific.

Not a techie, but a result of desperation to fix this error.

Last edited:

Athorment

Smash Cadet
I'm unsure as to what that error is and originally guessed it's because no one was playing. Each time i seek to play "For Fun" it gives me that error. However, as soon as i hit "For Glory" and "1vs1" i always get a match up right away. This is what led me to believe that people were simply not playing "For Fun" and had no match up built because of it

Ampetrix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christopaz
3DS FC
4527-8084-1972
I'm unsure as to what that error is and originally guessed it's because no one was playing. Each time i seek to play "For Fun" it gives me that error. However, as soon as i hit "For Glory" and "1vs1" i always get a match up right away. This is what led me to believe that people were simply not playing "For Fun" and had no match up built because of it
Many people play For Fun, I believe it gives the error more since it's harder to sync 4 people than two.(Also applies to FG smash).

Anyway, I believe the matchmaking issue's root of the problem can be from the kind of router too.
I've already tried 3 hotspots.

A ZTE PPPoE dial-up modem, paired with a CDR-KING router(yeah, crappy router, but works) : This one's connection is HEAVEN, but lackluster browsing experience. I barely get the error code at all. Unfortunately, my parents had to cut off the connection.

Huawei Mobile 3G Device : I get the errors. Though I suppose because the internet sucks more than the dial-up connection. But I get a variety of errors other than 516, like 514, 513, 502(this is different but just adding it in).

Huawei Echolife Bm622(The "modem" the ISP gave to us): error 0516, all the damn time. I used the methods I posted in the previous post. I'm starting to feel like Huawei devices have strict firewalls.

Also the ISPs here are different, but the ZTE and Echolife are sort of the same (Same company, but different sections, ZTE's landline, "modem"'s concerns mobile networks). The Mobile 3G device is from another ISP.

So... it might be on your router too, I heard that Belkin routers have odd firewalls. I guess I'll try to get another hotspot(not dial-up), maybe a 4G mobile device, to get this error fixed ONCE AND FOR ALL!

Manfri

Smash Rookie
NNID
AlisGelida
3DS FC
2294-7079-1671
I still have this problem. I can't play online or if I find a lobby (it very rarely happens) I lagg as hell.

I've customized the Port Mapping section, cause I can't modify the UPnP and DMZ section in my modem, but still nothing. Have I to change router? It will be nearly impossible... It's a lot expansive...

My settings:

TrapOnLotus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StrapOnFetus
Man, I do not know what to do. I was gaming all day today online, then out of the blue, my Wii U will not let me view my friends lists.... or get online with Smash Bros....but the internet browser works fine on the Wii U....I get a Error, 101 0516. I do not understand it...why did this happen now after I been gaming for months? But the biggest question...how do I fix it?

Patricio Kaim

Smash Rookie
Did you hack your system? (Homebrew, TPCGekko, etc.) Because a friend that hacked his system got this same error. :/

Top Bottom