• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Error 20110: What do you miss?

David Wonn

Smash Ace
The day has finally come for Nintendo to pull the plug. What do you miss now that you can no longer connect? What don't you miss? I will start with my own thoughts.

What I DON'T miss:

1. Lag. This one speaks for itself. As long as I play offline on traditional televisions, this will never be an issue again. However, I am a bit bummed to play again for a while.

2. Those annoying item matches. I'm not talking about a few minor ones here or there on occasion, but the ridiculously overpowered ones on high all the time. I didn't mind items in Smash 64, but they were way out of hand in Brawl. Thank heavens I will never have to involuntarily put up with this ever again.

3. Idle players, especially in Team Battle. Usually if I start a match that has one on the opposing team, I sit back and try to allow the other two to fight a fair one-on-one. Unfortunately not all groups play honorably. So when I encounter dishonorable players that exploit my idle partner, I make sure to reciprocate next match. Then I'd disconnect the group.

4. Terrible partners. It wasn't so bad if two or three were bad in a group, since you could generally balance things as needed. But when just one player was consistently getting the -3s or worse, while everyone else played well, you knew the matches would always be skewed.

5. Taunt parties / dishonorable players. I didn't mind showing off glitches here and there, but Basic Brawl devolved into a cesspool of dishonorable players. I admit though, it sure was fun to turn the tables on them, as I will discuss later. Can you imagine people doing taunt parties in real life?

What I DO miss:

1. Playing random players, never knowing what to expect. I just liked encountering all kinds of play styles to keep me on my toes. I especially enjoyed encountering several players who post here.

2. Spectator mode. This mode was addictive, though it certainly could've been improved. I really wish I could save some of those as replays.

3. Winning with an idle partner! This was always epic in Team Battle. I saved many such matches.

4. Wrecking taunt parties. These were also fun replays to save. I especially enjoyed coming up with creative ways to mess with taunters' heads, such as winning with only Luigi's taunt spike!

5. Hacked matches. For those of us who did not mod our Wiis, this was our only chance to fight in the wifi waiting room, target test 1, or even run into those Wario-Man, Giga Bowser, etc. characters for the duration of a match. Thankfully these could usually be saved as replays.

6. Punishing annoyingly bad players. I had my own ways of dealing with such players. For instance, if they relied on the most annoying items on high, I'd take them to Mario Bros. just to watch them grab their favorite items while I KO them with a Shellcreeper. Then I'd disconnect them later.

7. Showing off glitches, Easter Eggs, etc. Sometimes I'd even get to use them in legit battles, such as Wario's forbidden technique, Samus's taunt transformation, Flight of Ganon, and so on.

What do you miss? Now excuse me while I catch up on watching replays from the last few days....

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
What I don't miss: Playing offline by myself.

What I do miss: Wifi.

Top Bottom