• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Anyone with a japanese copy have any information on equipment? How it is gained, its effects on the character, how it is equipped, etc., etc.

I'm curious as to equipment's change in the game. From what I understand it is essentially Shulk's monado ability, but permanent. This seems like it could either be an amazing addition or a "eh, why bother" addition, but I don't have enough information to even hazard a guess at the moment. Haven't seen anyone play with it.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm worries Equipment is going to be turning games into far more random and harder to control than custom moves.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Equipment is extremely random. There are, as I believe one of the Treehouse employees put it 'literally millions of possible equipment variations'.

With that in mind, I pretty much canned the idea entirely.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
"Random generated"

So... big no for the Wii U version!

Side tournaments on 3DS are definitely a possibility -- it could be super, super fun. It likely won't be competitive as, from what I see, equipment gives a boost to one stat and a nerf to another. That by itself is fine, but the actual boost and nerf seems to be random. So you could get +50 speed and -15 attack on one, and +22 speed and -12 attack on another.

What's more, apparently there's equipment that makes you start at 30% damage and then never take more than 80% damage in the match. That seems like it won't work.

Equipment itself would have been a pretty cool idea if it was a bit more limited or balanced. Something like LoL gems or the like. Unfortunately it seems to be arbitrarily weak or powerful and arbitrarily gives you big buffs or nerfs.

The good news is that you can easily see if someone is using only specials or specials+equipment. There will be a "greyed out" circle if there's no equipment attached.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Actually, I think the 3DS can transfer equipment to the Wii U version.

So you might be able to bring your own equipment.

Will still likely be side events only, but cool to know.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
There's also equipment that gives a periodic healing effect, among other things already mentioned. It was a neat idea in theory, but it seems like no effort was made to balance these out.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
There's also equipment that gives a periodic healing effect, among other things already mentioned. It was a neat idea in theory, but it seems like no effort was made to balance these out.
It will be fun as hell for side events.

I could imagine "money match the pro -- you use equipment, they do not" things too.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
side events or bust

absolutely NOT ever going to be legal in a tournament setting EVER

Being able to deal 18% with a lucina fair is stupid, and being able to KO at 50% and taking like 80% more damage is just

i don't even know where to begin

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
ALSO

speed equipment spam lets you basically yoshi down b glitch jump permanently and run away and basically do dumb things in general

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Too much of a hassle to begin with IMO, let alone things being broken.

Should be a side event like Smash Run.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Jed did an online tournament with equipment on.

Not everyone used it. One guy said he has an item that gave +52 to one thing and -2 to another (defense and speed, I think?), so the discrepancy between the two can get huge.

One Ganondorf did it and was a BEAST. His d-tilt did 18% and he would consistently do 48% two hit combos then kill with an uncharged f-smash when they were around that 48% mark. I have no idea if ganon does that much damage normally, but the knockback was crazy.

Also ganon's neutral B with the sword appeared to break shields in one hit -- I'm unsure if that is an equipment thing or not as I had not seen it elsewhere.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Shield damage is calculated in a way that primary damage a move does is one of the main factors, so that's not surprising to me.

Knockback is the same, which is why he was probably killing at 20% lal

things that are 52+ and -2 usually have a negative attribute like "start the battle at 30%" or "you're a whorebiscuit, go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars" but generally you're still getting a lot out of it.

D

Deleted member 245254

Absolutely no way.

I equipped Sonic with full speed badges and I could literally jump two Final Destinations worth of distance using both jumps. It's absurd and nobody will or should entertain that kind of ridiculousness in an actual competitive setting. It feels like you're using Gameshark.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sounds like a great alternative to Turbo Mode events. Those happen, right?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I think equipment should be banned in almost all competitive play unless in side events or special events.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The funny thing about equipment is it actually could be a huge balancing factor in the game and could add a ton of depth if it was just implemented sliiiiiiiightly differently. Much different than what we've done normally, but could still easily be tweaked to be solid.

I'm kind of glad it isn't, just because of the ensuing headache from people wanting 2 stocks, all FD, no custom moves, no equipment simultaneously would be too much to bear.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Unless there are things we still do not know about Equipment, it seems fairly unbalanced currently. I think Equipment is worth exploring once the US release comes out but I forsee it not being tourney legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom