• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EPsilon's Apex 2010 Training. Monday August 2. Falls Church, Virginia

EPsilon's

Training

Main Events: Melee doubles and singles
Price: $2 per player in doubles and singles
(Since this will be held in a library, I want my tournament to be more inviting to new players in case any of them notice this event and want to join in)

Payouts
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%
(All money rounding will be in favor of the lower placing player)

Because of attendence and limited time, I may have to make this event a singles only event.

Monday August 2. 1:00pm - 6:00pm

(If teams happen)
1:00pm - Doors open, registration begins
1:30pm - Doubles starts
2:45pm - Singles start
5:45pm - Pack up

(If teams don't happen)
1:00pm - Doors open, registration begins
1:30pm - Singles start
5:45pm - Pack up

Tysons-Pimmit Regional Library
7584 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, VA 22043-2003 (Tysons Pimmit Regional Branch)
Conference room 07

The venue is in a library, so don't get (too) loud. The room we'll be using is a conference room which can hold about 14 people. There are 4 electrical outlets and the tables are all together in a rectangle in the middle of the room, so please bring extension cords and power strips. I think there are 15 chairs, but I can't recall perfectly.

Food

7-11
7451 Patterson Road, Falls Church, VA‎ - (703) 883-1711‎
Ledo Pizza
7510 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, VA‎ - (703) 847-5336‎
SubWay
2250 Pimmit Drive, Falls Church, VA‎ - (703) 288-9499‎
Starbucks
7501 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, VA‎ - (703) 288-9085‎

TV - wii/GameCube - Melee
EPsilon - green red and blue - green red and blue
EPsilon - EPsilon - EPsilon
EPsilon - EPsilon - EPsilon
Edge - Edge - Edge

We need someone to bring a wii/GameCube and Melee to get at least 4 set ups for the tournament.

All finals games will be recorded on the main setup. No johns if you don't want to get up on youtube.

http://cloti-aikou.net/apex/melee.html

Since youtube now has a 15 minute video limit, I want to cut the timer down from 8 minutes to 5 minutes. This ensures that when sets get recorded, they won't pass 15 minutes so I can upload entire sets into individual videos. Except finals games. They will still be split into singles games per video. I don't want mixes.

Also, since there's been a lot of recent stage legality discussion in the tournament discussion board, I want to try testing out a few ideas players have mentioned; Mute City being re-legalized and the winner of the previous game gets to ban 2 stages during counter picking instead of 1.

[collapse=Rewritten Ruleset (With Changes)]Stage List

Neutral
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams - Banned in teams
BattleField
Final Destination
DreamLand 64

Counter
Pokemon Stadium - Neutral in teams
Brinstar
Kongo Jungle 64
Mute City - Banned in teams

Time Limit: 5 minutes

Stage Striking in 1221 order will be in effect for the first match of the set. The player with the lower port will get to choose the first strike. The remaining stage will be played for the first game of the tournament set.

After a game is finished, the winner announces 2 stage bans for the counterpick (bans don't stay in effect for the entire set).

The loser of the previous game announces a stage to play on.

The winner of the previous game may change their character.

The loser of the previous game may change their character, then the next game will be played.

DSR: No stage may be played twice unless agreed upon by all players in the set.

The player choice clause!:: If both players agree to a rule outside of my ruleset, feel free to play by that. If one player wants to counterpick Mute City and the other player is fine with that because they think it's a fair stage, then that is more than fine. However in the event the two players disagree, house rules stand.[/collapse]

Guaranteed (13)
Alcohol
Boss
ChuDat
Coach
Coleman
DuckPimp
EPsilon
green red and blue
Honto
Korn
Manjit
Moogle
The Cutting Edge

Maybe
Apok
baconandgrits
Crimson
Mastermoo
No Cash
PockeyStick
rpgfighter
Studd Sexington

Duhrdy

Smash Apprentice
Hmmmmmm I might try to come to this. I haven't played in forever :(. It's awfully far from me, though.
Are you still gonna be hosting tourneys at RU when school starts again??

Hmmmmmm I might try to come to this. I haven't played in forever :(. It's awfully far from me, though.
Are you still gonna be hosting tourneys at RU when school starts again??
It's a 4 hour drive from Radford.

yes, I will be, but with a few changes. The first change is tournaments entry fees will be dropped down to $1 per player in both singles and doubles. The second change is I will try to host them every weekend. The third change is I will add barlw to my tournaments. If I'm able to bring 3 TV's to Radford and back home, and there's enough basement/lunge space, then barlw can easily be added.

However, I have this idea that no one seems to like at all, aka they all seem to hate it. My idea is that barlw can suck less under three additional rules; heavy gravity, reflect status, and MetaKnight banned. Heavy Gravity can speed up the game a bit, reflect status gets ride of nearly all the gay projectile camping, and MetaKnight would be a God under the two previous rules.

So many people hate different tournaments. Gay American Melee players hate PAL, go ask to play PAL to anyone in America, you might get insulted. I asked a barlw player about my ideas one time, he just responded with "I wouldn't go to a gimmicky tournament."

I hope the VT barlwers can understand me wanting to test my idea.

Duhrdy

Smash Apprentice
Awesome, I'm glad to hear you'll still be doing melee stuff, can't wait to start up some tourneys again. I don't take brawl seriously anyway, so I'll just do whatever everybody else wants :p

anyone able to give me a ride up there?

or metro directions hahaha
West Falls metro is the closest metro stop. I could just pick you up from there. Or if you pay for all my gas$, I could get you from your house and get you back there after. Pick whatever's cheaper. (Gas$ for 40 miles will cost about $6)

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Dude, I probably won't be able to make this, but I'll see how it goes, lol. Monday is a bad day for me since I has an internship, but I'll see if my mom'll drive me to your house, and, if she can, I'll probably take the day off from work. P:

We've go 15 players that say they're guaranteed for a room that fits 15 people... We've reached it's capacity? I may have to drop doubles and make this a singles only event. I could add pools to my event if anyone wants it. Like 4 pools of 4 players, the top 2 advance into brackets. We will have 4 setups at the event (if at least one of you brings a wii/GameCube + Melee) so each pool will be assigned to their own tv.

2 people can't make it anymore, so now it's 13.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
We've go 15 players that say they're guaranteed for a room that fits 15 people... We've reached it's capacity? I may have to drop doubles and make this a singles only event. I could add pools to my event if anyone wants it. Like 4 pools of 4 players, the top 2 advance into brackets. We will have 4 setups at the event (if at least one of you brings a wii/GameCube + Melee) so each pool will be assigned to their own tv.
Considering we only have 4 hours, I doubt we will be able to have time for pools. Or doubles for that matter.

Considering we only have 4 hours, I doubt we will be able to have time for pools. Or doubles for that matter.
1-6 is 5 hours, but only 4 hours and 15 minutes can be dedicated for the tournament.

...yeah

Let's do some counting

Let's assume no friendlies interrupt anything.

number of sets in pools of 4: 6
Average time for a set to complete: 10 minutes (based off of no statistical research)

Pools will take 1 hour. (Ok, you might be right so far)

Brackets (8 man bracket)

14 or 15 games, at 10 minutes that's 2 hours and 20/30 minutes

So that's a 3 hour and 20/30 minute tournament, assuming brackets are played on a single tv.

My math is right, right? I know I didn't fail algebra 4 times, so I think it's pretty accurate.

I think I will drop doubles.

Top Bottom