• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Epita Smash Arena 5 - Armada, Ice, Over, Fuzzyness, Leffen, Cyr and more !

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Epita Smash Arena 5
April 20-23, 2012
Villejuif, France

The ESA series has always been the most well-known European tournament series, always gathering many top European players in France. Ever since 2010, and ESA4, we haven't had a major event in the series. But this time, it was back, and some great players like Armada, Over, Ice, Leffen or Fuzzyness (among others) joined the top French players for this event.
With 63 people from 6 different countries, it was the largest tournament in France since ESA4 in 2010, the current French scene having a lot of small events, but no big ones.

Various facts (spoilers here, but after all, you're in a results thread)
  • Armada is now the most titled player of the ESA series, with 3 wins and one third place. He was previously tied with Amsah, who had 2 wins and 2 second places.
  • Armada hasn't lost a single set at the ESA series since his loss to CaptainJack in losers finals of ESA2, in early 2008. This time, his Peach has been on her last stock only once, versus Cyr's Samus (to be confirmed)
  • Many revenges happened at this tournament, and Fuzzyness was involved in many of them : he lost to Baxon in pools and beat him in the bracket, but then beat Ice in winners' before losing to him in losers' finals. And he and leffen won 3-4 versus Armada and Ice in doubles winners finals, before losing 4-0 both grand finals sets.
  • The players from Lyon, usually considered to be one of the strongest city in the French smash community, all lost pretty early in singles. On the opposite, old-timers Doraki and Bunwa (previously known as Benoit) both placed fairly well in singles, and also performed decently in teams.
  • Cyr finally manages to outplace every other French player! Sadly, he does that at a tournament with great European players in attendance, and doesn't win it.
  • Aether keeps surprising everyone: 5th at the two last major French tournaments, he reaches an encouraging 9th place. Not bad for a Link player from a city with only a few smashers.

Videos

Videos are being uploaded on LeFrenchMelee, France's Melee community Youtube channel, and a Smashboards thread will be available soon.

Results

Out of curiosity, I checked how far everyone went in the bracket according to their seeds in pools. I coloured the names to show it.
Placed first in pools
Placed second in pools
Placed third in pools
Placed fourth in pools

Singles :
63 players : 8 pools of 7 or 8, top 4 advancing to a 32-man bracket

Bracket

1. Armada
:peachmelee:/:sheikmelee:
2. Ice
:marthmelee:/:sheikmelee:/:foxmelee:
3. Fuzzyness
:falcomelee:/:falconmelee:/:foxmelee:
4. OverTriforce
:sheikmelee:
5. Cyr
:samusmelee:
5. leffen
:foxmelee:
7. Android
7. VanityAngel
:peachmelee:
9. Aether
:linkmelee:
9. Doraki
9. Tekk
:jigglypuffmelee:
9. Bunwa
13. porc
:falcomelee:
13. Salepâte
:marthmelee:
13. Trinity
13. Mahie
:foxmelee:/:marthmelee:/:random:
17. Aska
17. Feca-Link
17. *Zen
17. Baxon
17. Mrik
17. Wuschl
:foxmelee:/:falcomelee:/:marthmelee:
17. Phyr
17. Samplay
25. X-17
:falconmelee:
25. Qlex
:ganonmelee:
25. Fauster Fayk
:samusmelee:
25. Slhoka
:sheikmelee:/:samusmelee:
25. Willy
25. Kurogane
25. Charlon
25. Baker
---End of the bracket---
33. Styx
33. Metalfox
:nessmelee:/:foxmelee:
33. JiM
:mariomelee:
33. Leon
:roymelee:
33. SaiX
33. CM
:marthmelee:/:falconmelee:
33. Jam
33. Roxas
41. Fays
41. Shloub
41. Nedved
41. BSeed
41. Alex21
41. Gorn
:falcomelee:/:marthmelee:
41. Meo
41. Hiryuu
49. Meljin
:falcomelee:/:sheikmelee:
49. Qual
49. Redjilfox
:drmario:
49. Datto
49. Tenebron
49. Latouffe
49. 8=Mono=D
49. Joanna Dark
57. Sky
57. Maynstorm
57. DraKuLa666
57. Kens
:random:
57. Kipkovsky
57. Gobe
57. Seya
:icsmelee:

Pools

Doubles :
19 teams, no pools

Bracket

1. AR ICE (Armada + Ice) :peachmelee:+:foxmelee: / :peachmelee:+:sheikmelee:
2. Fuzzyness + Leffen :falcomelee:+:foxmelee:
3. Les Super Wagons (porc + Salepâte) :falcomelee:+:marthmelee:
4. Willy + Tekk :falcomelee:+:jigglypuffmelee:
5. Baxon Angel (Baxon + Vanity Angel) :falcomelee:+:peachmelee:
5. Bunwa + Doraki :jigglypuffmelee:+:foxmelee:
7. Phyr + SaiX :peachmelee:+:foxmelee:
7. La fessée powershieldropée (Aska + Charlon) :marthmelee:+:falcomelee:
9. CM + Aether :random:+:linkmelee:
9. FausSeeD du Nord (Cyr + Slhoka) :samusmelee:+:sheikmelee: / :falconmelee:+:sheikmelee:
9. Cyrka du Sud (Fauster Fayk + BSeeD) :samusmelee:+:sheikmelee:
9. Kanker lekker (Mahie + Fays) :random:+:falcomelee:
13. Baltimore du 59 (Samplay + X-17) :falcomelee:+::falconmelee:
13. JiM + MetalFox :mariomelee:+:nessmelee:
13. Meljin + *Zen :random:+:marthmelee:
13. Fécalorik (Feca-Link + Mrik) :falcomelee:+:sheikmelee:
17. Sky + TNB (Sky + Tenebron) :sheikmelee:+:sheikmelee:
17. Seya + Shloub (Seya + Shloub) :icsmelee:+:marthmelee:
17. NedD (Nedved + Joanna Dark) :sheikmelee:+:falcomelee:

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
was a really fun tournament

ggs everyone

tad dissapointed to make it to WF and get 4-0'd but I'll bring my trained up fox for you next time armada =D your consistency and punish game is just too solid
good stuff for stepping up your game in LF Ice and not falling for my counterpicks =P I know you hate playing my falcon with marth

Gastogh

Smash Apprentice
A Link in the top 10 and Samus in the top 5? Nice.

Armada has a Sheik, too? Vids or it didn't happen. :awesome:

I like the red column and placing-column in the pool tables. Makes it much easier to eyeball the results.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
First it was sets, then games, and now OMG CYR BROUGHT ARMADA DOWN TO LAST STOCK! :O

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
Ma man Fays standing there in the results as the only dutch. Good stuff for going there by yourself!
Definently sadd I could not make this along with others.

Nevertheless, Im realy really really looking forward to the videos!

Baxon

Smash Journeyman
i played sooo bad during this tournament :urg:

fuzzy you were reaaally lucky during our matches :embarrass:
No johns.
i'll **** you next time ;)

GG to the top 5 :awesome:

Shout out later ...

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
cant wait to see my sets vs lefen and ice

wasnt happy with my gameplan against armada but I guess I'll learn from watching it, not gonna use falcon against him again

Expect to see a lot more fuzzy fox :D

Armada

Smash Lord
A Link in the top 10 and Samus in the top 5? Nice.

Armada has a Sheik, too? Vids or it didn't happen. :awesome:

I like the red column and placing-column in the pool tables. Makes it much easier to eyeball the results.
Yes I have. My Sheik is actually really good is some MUs.
But my cotroller broke a bit before pools but I did finish my pool with that controller so I played bad cause I had hard to move.

No johns I guess but it is true and I played with Slhokas controller in the bracket.
Really fun tournament so will leave STs later

Nedved

Smash Apprentice
Ok it was awesome. now, shoutouts time !

French player : on french board.

Fuzzyness : nice performance, i didn't think you were that strong on the Falcon/Sheik MU.

VA : I really thought you were going to beat Leffen, you're peach is impressive. a bit disappointed i don't freeplay with you but i guess next tournament will be fine.

Jam : I just saw you playing SSB64 and you're a beast.^^

Fays : i think we didn't play :/ But you did great, i loved your team with Mahie

Leffen/Android : didn't play/talk :/ But you both are good at Melee and P:M.

Armada : well, another victory right ? You r*ped me at SSB64 but if I have time i will try to play a bit more, i can't let that happen another time :D

Baker : playing with you in team and single was really cool, you're amazing with Fox. looking forward to see you another time.

Trinity : Foutus lutins, je vous hais. Link for Top Tier :D

Meo : didn't play :/

Wshl : we didn't play, but i wanted to, because we were on same pool at BEAST 1 and you kicked my *** :/

Phyr : Nice Peach, even if you're a bit inconsistant. Our freeplay were nice, see you in another tourney !

Saix : Our set in pools were so close :-) I did camp a lot, but if i didn't you would have r*ped me so... :)

OverTriforce : Really, thank you. You are amazing (you totally beasted me in dittos :D), but watching you playing Sheik was what I enjoyed the most in the tourney, I learned a lot. You performed amazingly well and I hope to see you again !

Ice : Come on, you're so strong lol :D I learned a lot by playing in pools with you and by watching your Sheik (One does not simply edgeguard Link, right?). I wanted to freeplay with you but it didn't happen... so lets play another tourney. "Thanks, see you in bed!" was the most amazing things i heard during the tournament btw. :D

It was a great tourney, and I learned a lot. Congrats to everybody and see you next time (French tourney? Melee Grande in Norway? =) )

Armada

Smash Lord
@Ice - First time teaming ever and we're already the best team in europe. ****!

Aayla

Smash Cadet
Great tournament and a lot of cool people. I really had fun, as usual. I'll upload the photos soon, shoutouts later.

Meljin

Smash Apprentice
Shoutouts :

Fays => Even if you never remember my nickname, our freeplays were awesome, you have a great pair of spacies :). We played a lot and it was really fun, I just hope that you was not sandbagging >_<

Android => I was the guy that asked if you were sad at friday's dusk. It was very interesting to play with you but I sometimes didn't know if I was annoying you or you were just preoccupied/worried ^^'

Leffen => I never saw someone who was immerged while playing video games, that was impressive... I really wonder what do you felt in the set versus VA in the looser bracket. Great playing though :)

Armada => Thanks for the plays, sorry if my english wasn't really clear sometimes.

Phyr => Our Melee freeplays were way better than the 64 one ! :D I really enjoyed playing with your Peach, especially your awesome edgeguards. :)

OverTriforce => You are really a good man, you gave me some useful advices and make me understood what was the point in edgeguarding in sheik dittos. Thanks again ! :)

The person whose name I forgot (o_o) => We played in the Saturday morning, you had a green Falco if I remember well. You are a nice and kind person :)

[Reminder : If you don't remember me, I'm the guy with a black shirt and a necklace holding a black guitar pick in the right side of this picture ]

Nedved

Smash Apprentice
I'm uploading right now. I have some bracket matches (porc/Aether and Feca-Link/Qlex) and the pools matches (with Ice/Charlon/Feca-Link/Trinity/Saix and myself).

It was the small set on the corner.
Ice & Fuzzy, because i didn't record your MM Falcon dittos myself, a part of it is in Black&White, sorry about that but it can't be helped.

If anyone played on this TV and wanted to see there freeplay uploaded, tell me (here or MP) and I will upload it ASAP. =)

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
[*]Armada hasn't lost a single set at the ESA series since his loss to CaptainJack in losers finals of ESA2, in early 2008. This time, his Peach has been on her last stock only once, versus Cyr's Samus (to be confirmed)
Oh gawd damn.

This is the metric we're using now?

The dominance is just ridiculous.

Paju

Smash Journeyman
@Ice - First time teaming ever and we're already the best team in europe. ****!
LOOOOOOOOOOL I just died.

<3 Armada. Congrats on winning both the singles and doubles once again! Also good **** Fuzzy for beating both Leffen and Ice in WB. VA placed very nicely also, keep repping the Peach! =) Too bad I couldn't make it, I'm really looking forward to see the videos.

X17the17th

Smash Cadet
For those eager to see some videos, here is Armada vs. Cyr : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGOvKBV3b-Y

The following sets will be uploaded tonight/tomorrow on LeFrenchMelee, in that order :
- Fuzzyness vs. Ice
- Armada vs. OverTriforce
- Leffen vs. OverTriforce
- Ice vs. Cyr
- Ice vs. OverTriforce
- Armada vs. Fuzzyness
- Ice vs. Fuzzyness
- Armada vs. Ice

These will be followed by sets such as :
- Leffen vs. Tekk
- Leffen vs. Vanity Angel
- Cyr vs. Aether (Link)
- Cyr vs. Android

And that will pretty much be it as far as I'm concerned. (a few more bracket and pool sets)

Wschl

Smash Apprentice
shloka im not playin marth, i only played him once or twice during pool.s plz change that to fox/falco thanks :)

i think the tourney was rather bad, sorry for bein honest. shoutouts later

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
Told them that the Falcon Ditto MM was in black and white, oh well u.u.

I want to post shoutouts, but i fear i will forgot somebody or something D:. Anyway it was such a fantastic tourney, like my most, or second most favourite tourney in all the time i have been playing competitive games x). All the people were SO ****ING great, doraki's housing and doraki himself were also great, Paris is great (although i could only do a bit of sightseeing monday's morning), and there was so ****ing much level in everyone... it was great, fun, and has hyped me to start train seriously plus make me much more interested in going to tourneys outside of spain. I might post shoutouts later or other day but anyway it was great, thank you everyone for making it happen :D and sorry if my peach or my POORLY spoken english bothered you Un_n, couldn't help it (and my shyness doesn't help either, oh ****). Well see you in the next tourney ^^

X17the17th

Smash Cadet
You mean the setup on the side of the room near a door ? (not the one at the center of the room, where the finals were played)
It ain't my setup, it was Doraki's. You'll have to ask him.

SaiX

Smash Apprentice
nedved you also have friendlies between over and armada at sunday night, sorry about that of black&white i didnt know what video filter was

very fun tournament i enjoyed especially matches between tekk, cyr, android, Slhoka, metalfox's ness, x-17 and doraki. and teams with tekk/slhoka before the tournament.
armada thank you for playing so long at charlon's house and sunday night i learnt a lot, really.

thanks everyone for the matches and i hope see you everyone in Norway

doraki if you want to come to seville you have house here, thank for all dude, and sorry for waking 2 times in middle of the night xD

Tekk

Smash Lord
It was pretty fun
Played horribly in singles, doubles were cool
It was nice to play with (almost) all the foreigner, really cool experience
VA we should team sometime
leffen still being a videogame bully yo

Also I landed 3 RESTS on Armada's YL
Hbox where you at

shoutouts later, maybe

Armada

Smash Lord
France:

Charlon: Thanks a lot for the housing man and everything else you did for us during our week in Paris. Thanks for holding the tournament and Im already looking forward to the next one!

Baxon: Really fun to see you again man. Felt like we spend a lot of time together and I had really fun. See you at SR =)

Aska: You are ****ing awesome man. You really are a person that makes people laugh. We also had some good matches. Take care.

Slhoka: Thanks a lot for barrowing me your controller. I really appreciate that. Fun to see you again and Im looking forward to see you at SR.

Salepate/Porc: Great job in teams! Fun to see both of you again.

Germany:

Ice: Thanks for teaming man. Had a lot of fun this week and that was much because of you. You are extremly good and also a good friend. Sad you could not play at your best during GF but Im sure you will do that next time. Also cool with 4-0 twice in teams GF

Wushel: Fun to finally seeing you man!
Sucks that no one joined you to the central Paris. Hope you had some good moments though.

Top Bottom