• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Epita Smash Arena 4 - Paris, France - June 26-27, 2010 | Armada, Amsah, many more !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slhoka

Smash Lord

EPITA SMASH ARENA 4

June 26 and 27, 2010 - Paris, France

Actually not true, it takes place in Villejuif, near Paris

Since 2007, an edition of the Epita Smash Arena series has taken the spot of the big winter/spring european smash tournament. This year... it won't happen. Instead, ESA4 will be the kick-off even of Europe's smash summer.
With such a date, we hope that most players from many countries should be be done with school or university and will be able to attend this event !​

CURRENT IMPORTANT INFORMATION
The venue has been confirmed to open on Friday, 20:00 ! Now's the time to book and confirm you'll attend !

Questions regarding housing must be sent to Slhoka (see "Housing" in this post)

THE VENUE

Epita
66 rue Guy Moquet
94800 Villejuif
France

For those who may not be familiar with the ESA series, the tournament will take place once again in the computer science school EPITA, located in Villejuif near Paris.
You can find it on a map here. (Use streetview and search for the big blue building, it’s the venue !)
We have the possibility to have a whole floor of the school for the tournament, which allows us to provide housing at the venue during the tournament.

THE HOSTS

The tournament will be run by SSBUP, the association of French Smash Players, and Cycom, a gaming association of EPITA students. SSBUP will take care of the tournament itself, while Cycom will take care of logistics and pretty much everything besides the tournament itself.
The event will be under the direction of 3 main directors :

• Lithium, president of Cycom
  • Slhoka, president of SSBUP
  • Poilon, host and link between the Smash scene and Cycom/EPITA

Events

Epita Smash Arena 4 will feature the following events :
  • Singles tournament
  • Doubles tournament
  • Regional Crews (according to the foreign attendance)

Things like the bracket size and pool repartition will be announced later, when we'll have a fairly accurate idea of how many players will attend this tournament.

Equipment

The hosts of the Epita Smash Arena series have always valued the amount of setups to ensure most players can get as many friendlies as they want.
Usually, our formula is :
1 TV = 4 players

Which means that if we reach the 256 player limit, our aim wille be to have at least 64 setups. While we cannot garantee that in advance, we always managed to have more than 1 TV per 4 attendants in the previous editions (even though it didn't work so well for ESA2 as many remember), and we don't want that to change.

Registration
Registrations opened on Cycom's website : http://www.cycom.org/event/informations/22/en/

First you have to register on the website (or login if you already registered for another ESA), then you have to register for the tournament.
If you already registered on the website and can't remember the password you entered, just register with another nickname making sure I can guess who you are.
Do not pay attention to the schedule, it's the one from last year. It should be something similar, though.

Due to venue size and time contraints, the event will be limited to 256 attendants.

Entry Fees and cash prize

Entry Fees

Singles tournament : 10€
Doubles tournament : 10€ per player
Venue fee : 10€
Regional crews : a decent amount of pride :p

Total : 30€

Cash Prizes

See the entry fee above : for both teams and singles, the pot size will be equal to the amount of players times 10.
The division of the money isn't set yet, but the top 6 (at least) should get money.

Schedule

Friday
  • 20:00 : Venue opens. We'll be installing setups and stuff, so you may not be able to play right after arriving if you come around 20:00, but at least you will have somewhere to stay.
  • During the night : Freeplay at will. I also consider organizing a free Low tier tournament if I'm not too busy with other aspects of the tournament.
Saturday
  • ??:?? : Tournaments
  • 00:00 : Tournaments stop (that's the theory, though, we may ask you to play a bit longer if the tournament is late).
Sunday
  • ??:?? : Tournaments
  • 19:00/20:00 : Venue closes.

We haven't decided wether we'll play singles or doubles first. This choice will mainly depend of the number of attendants.

Ruleset

Note : Please remember that this ruleset is tentative : some changes may occur before the tournament.

General Rules

Set Format

• No items
  • 4 stocks
  • Time limit : 8 mn
  • Ties are broken by remaining lives, then percentage. If both criteria are tied, then a one-stock match with the same characters on the same stage will be played.
  • No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage, unless the opponent agrees to use the stage again. (Dave's Stupid Rule)
  • If the counterpicking player takes too much time to chose his counterpick stage, the tournament organizer can (at his own discretion) force him to pick random. (Pamaro's Stupid Rule)
  • Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
  • Stage striking, advance slobs picks and double blind picks will be used for stage and character selection (see Set procedure below)
  • Wobbling is banned
  • Meta Knight is banned

Set procedure

1. The stage of the first game is chosen randomly or through stage striking. If both players agree to choose it randomly, random will be used, but if one player wants to use stage striking, then stage striking will be used.
  2. Both players choose their characters, then the game is playerd. A referee can be use to ensure no player counterpicks another on the first game. (Double Blind Pick)
  3. After the first game, the loser announces his counterpick stage.
  4. The winner of the first game then picks his character.
  5. The loser of the first game choses his character, and the game is played.
  6. If the set isn't complete after the game, steps 3-5 are repeated until completion of the set.

Team specific rules

• Friendly fire is on
  • A player can request the pause function to be turned off.
  • Life stealing is allowed

Pools

• All general rules apply.
  • Sets will be best of 3
  • The player ranking within the pool will be decided upon the following criteria :
  • Won/Lost set ratio
  • Won/Lost individual games ratio
  • Head to head results

Brackets

• All general rules apply.
  • The first round(s) of the bracket will be best of 3, then best of 5 will be used, until winners' finals, losers' finals and grand finals where best of 7 will be used .

Stages

Starters

• Final Destination
  • Dream Land 64
  • Fountain of Dreams (banned for teams)
  • Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Story

Counterpick

• Pokémon Stadium (starter for teams)

All other stages are banned.

Food & Housing

Housing

Since ESA4 is a 2 days event, we will try to house as many players as possible on sunday evening. The tournament doesn't officially start before saturday morning, but we may be able to have the venue open on Friday night, so you can be housed there. However, ESA2 proved that housing everyone just isn’t possible for events of such scope. Therefore, we’ll give priority to those who come from far.
We’ll do our best to motivate Parisians players to host people, and we’ll make a list of people able to house other players and contact info but it will be up to you to contact these players. If the attendance grows so much that we can’t be sure to house everyone, we’ll try to get some deals with an hotel.

On Saturday night, anybody who paid for it will sleep in a separate sleeping room, where you'll be able to put your bags and jackets during the day. This night should be the only one you will spend in the venue, unless we have the venue on Friday night.

We won't give you anything but space for the night, so you better bring your sleeping bag, sleeping pad, pillow, teddy bear or whatever else you'll need.

If you need to be housed before or after the tournament, PM me with informations about your trip :
  • Date of arrival (and hour if possible)
  • Date of departure (and hour if possible)
  • Number of people needing housing
  • Where you'll arrive/leave (to pick you up if we can)
  • Any useful information

Please try to arrive on friday and leave on Sunday or Monday.
I know for sure it's more interesting to come early and/or leave later to get cheaper plane/train tickets, spend more time with other smashers and/or visit Paris, but it makes housing way harder. So if you can avoid needing housing for more than one night, please do it.

Food

Unfortunately, food isn't comprised in the entry fee. However, Cycom will have a stand where they'll sell food and drinks. You can also buy something outside of the venue.

Travel Informations

Paris is pretty easy to reach by plane, train or bus regardless of where you come from.
Once you are in or near Paris, the public transportation network will allow you to travel more efficiently than with a car.

Airports

The closest airports are Paris-Orly (ORY) and Roissy-Charles de Gaulle (CDG). From those airports, you can easily reach Paris in less than an hour with a commuter train.
Another airport is Beauvais-Tillé (BVA). This one is a bit far from Paris but you can get cheap flights from other places in Europe if you travel with Ryanair. From there, you'll need 1h30 to arrive in Paris.

Train

• Coming from the North of Paris : Gare du Nord
  • Coming from the UK : Gare Saint-Lazare
  • Coming from the East of Paris : Gare de l'Est
  • Coming from Switzerland or Italy : Gare de Lyon
  • Coming from Spain : Gare Montparnasse

Once you are in one of these stations, you'll have no trouble going to the venue with the subway.

Bus

There are two Eurolines bus stations in Paris :
  • Coming from Spain and Portugal : Paris Charenton
  • Coming from everywhere else : Paris Gallieni

Once you are in one of these stations, you'll have no trouble going to the venue with the subway.

Travels in Paris

For all your travels in or near Paris, I advise you to use one of these websites :
Transilien.com (available in english and spanish)
RATP.fr (available in many languages)

Directions to the venue

The venue is located near the métro station "Villejuif - Paul Vaillant-Couturier", on line 7

When you arrive at the station, you may want to use this map and/or the following instructions : map.
  • Get out of the subway and take the "Avenue Paul Vaillant-Couturier (D61)", and use the sidewalk on the right of the street. It will make things easier later.
  • When you arrive to the first crossroad, the "Avenue Paul Vaillant-Couturier (D61)" will turn a bit. Keep following it.
  • Stay on the "Avenue Paul Vaillant-Couturier (D61)" until you cross the "Rue Guy Môquet" on the right of the street.
  • Take the "Rue Guy Môquet" until you reach the number 66.
  • You're there ! The venue is the big blue building !

Various Costs

Compared to many european public transportation systems, transport is rather expensive around Paris.
  • Orly to Paris by RER (commuter train) costs 6.40€ euros One way.
  • Charles de Gaulle to Paris by RER costs 8.20€ euros One way.
  • Beauvais train station to Paris Gare du Nord costs 11.70€ euros One way.
  • A single metro/bus/tramway ticket costs 1.60€ euros.
  • A pack of 10 metro/bus/tramway ticket costs 11.10€ euros. (I advise you to buy that if you're a group and planning to visit Paris a bit).
  • When you buy a RER ticket, once you get in Paris, you can use it as a metro ticket, no need to pay 1.60€ extra. Same for the way back, buy your RER ticket, use it for the metro and then for the RER.

Useful information
In Paris, when you are caught in the metro or bus without a valid ticket, you'll have to pay a 40€ fine (or some simillar amount). Controls are not so frequent, but keep that in mind if you don't want too much extra costs (right Spaniards ? =p)

GENERAL INFORMATION

• Bring Your Own Controller !!! This rule applies here aswell. And keep your things with you, one never knows.
  • If you plan to use a Wavebird, please notify us in advance. We’ll only accept 16 Wavebird users to avoid interferences.
  • For the general well-being of everyone, no one can justify throwing something on the floor. There will be enough trash cans all around the venue.
  • Drinking alcohol in the venue will be completely forbidden.
  • Drugs under any form will be forbidden.
  • Any player breaking these rules will be excluded from the event without any refunding.
  • The tournament will be run by Slhoka with tio tournament organizer.
  • Results will be posted here and in SWF's Results section and as well on All is Brawl.

Contact

Slhoka
Check my profile for IM accounts.
You can also send me a mail at : slhoka.kureria@gmail.com
During your trip : my phone number is : +33 6 82 12 30 84

I'll add someone else so you can call someone if I'm not available.

Not Smash-related interests

The tournament will not take place in Paris, but so close it is pretty much the same. And while Paris is a city where I wouldn't wish anyone to live, it's an extremely beautiful city which will make happy those of you who enjoy tourism, especially in late June as the wheather should be really good.
If you plan to attend the tournament and want some information about great places to visit, don't hesitate to ask.

Well, hopefully, see you in Paris ! ;)

porc

Smash Journeyman
YEAH !

I'll be there of course.

I hope some Americans will show up. Especially West Coast !!

Dax

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure a lot of italians (maybe 10+) would love to come. But, we will need venue confirmation and dates of course =)

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
Slhoka said:
Since ESA2 is a 2 days event, we will try to house as many players as possible on sunday evening. The tournament doesn't officially start before saturday morning, but we may be able to have the venue open on Friday night, so you can be housed there. However, ESA2 proved that housing everyone just isn’t possible for events of such scope. Therefore, we’ll give priority to those who come from far.
Learn to proof read your OP Slhoka, it's ESA4 not 2..

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Learn to proof read your OP Slhoka, it's ESA4 not 2..
Haha nice one. The worst thing is that this sentence comes from the ESA3 announcement thread :laugh:
I rewrote most of the post for this thread, because I knew many mistakes like that would be left. But my favourite proofreader wasn't there, so it was bound to happen =(

Edit : Also, the second occurrence actually isn't a mistake

Edit 2 : Thank you by the way. That's also a proof that people read the entire thing :)

Kone

Smash Master
I think you should post another thread for this tournament in the european tournament discussion area? most europeans don't check here and I know the British never do. Europeans are your main audience not americans :/

Hopefully there will be a good British turnout. Universities are finished by the proposed dates :chuckle:

Slhoka

Smash Lord
I think you should post another thread for this tournament in the european tournament discussion area? most europeans don't check here and I know the British never do. Europeans are your main audience not americans :/

Hopefully there will be a good British turnout. Universities are finished by the proposed dates :chuckle:
Can't he just post a link in the tournament discussion? That way we can keep al the discussion etc in one thread.
I must say I don't really know how to do this. I know that European don't come to this section that often, but if I post it in the Europe sub-section, people will only post there, and this would prevent this tournament to get attention from the US scene, which is one of my aims.

I'll just let it like that a few more days, then I'll find a way if the thread is still half-dead.

I'll also post on most countries' national boards as soon as Poilon confirms me that the date is set in stones (which should happend very soon).

Kone

Smash Master
I just know that in the past ESA threads have been less than active on smashboards and there just isnt the hype that the tournament deserves. Having brits interested and able to find this thread easy will keep it more alive on smashboards aswell as obv this is our main forum while europeans use elsewhere.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
You make a new thread where the first post has a link to this thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=268561

Then, ask a mod to make it sticky and to lock it.
Yeah, I guess it's the best idea. I was a bit reluctant to do this as it won't be visible when the topic will have new messages, but well. If it's stickied, it could work.

Are Swedish players interested in this tournament ?

Mizar

Smash Ace
Edit 2 : Thank you by the way. That's also a proof that people read the entire thing :)
Amsah is the only one reading the whole thing. ;3

Can you put me on the 'interested list' + the following people:

Phaze
Fernandez
Rian
Jeapie

Very much appreciated :)

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Nice to see some more interested players !

Also, I updated the first post with some information : the entry fee will be 30€, and distributed as follows :
  • Singles : 10€
  • Doubles : 10€
  • Venue/TVs/everything allowing the tournament to happen : 10€

I was able to call Poilon today, and he told me the guys from Cycom were going to confirm the venue reservation today. So you should be able to book pretty soon ;)
They will also try to see if we can have the venue on friday evening.

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
Interested! Would also be needing housing prior to and after the event, because I _really_ want to see Paris this time =)

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Interested! Would also be needing housing prior to and after the event, because I _really_ want to see Paris this time =)
Great !
As for housing... we should be able to find that for you ;)

By the way, the last tournament you attended in France was my very first tournament, so it would be kinda funny for me to see you again in Paris :p

Aniolas

Smash Ace
Me and Armada will def make it.

Qlex: Is it possible for you to house us? It would be mad chill to stay at yours and play some Mario Party. ;)

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
Slhoka: on the cycom website I saw that registration will start at the end of may, but for foreigners that might be kinda late considering they need to book early if they fly and they need to be sure they have housing etc. Any chance we could sign up on a sooner date?

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Slhoka: on the cycom website I saw that registration will start at the end of may, but for foreigners that might be kinda late considering they need to book early if they fly and they need to be sure they have housing etc. Any chance we could sign up on a sooner date?
Yeah, I know. I haven't been able to talk to them about that, but I will for sure.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
I'm very disappointed that I'll be missing this. ESA3 was a blast, and a wonderfully ran event. If only the date were a few months ahead =(

Also, if an American were to even to go as far as come to this by himself, he would never make it to the venue with the directions given on the OP, just saying. xD You may wanna fix that :p

Slhoka

Smash Lord
I'm very disappointed that I'll be missing this. ESA3 was a blast, and a wonderfully ran event. If only the date were a few months ahead =(

Also, if an American were to even to go as far as come to this by himself, he would never make it to the venue with the directions given on the OP, just saying. xD You may wanna fix that :p
Meh, it would have been great to see you in Paris again =(

As for the first post, yeah, I've seen it's quite messy. The thing is, I just copypasted this from the ESA3 thread... which was as well a copypasta from the ESA2 thread. I've been too lazy to change it so far, but I'll do it one day or another, before the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom