• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Epita Smash Arena 2 - Paris - 23 & 24 February 2008 - Up to 256 Players !

Tonb3rry

Smash Ace
Ok, all the neutral stages allowed is ok. But when only three stages are on random... that is a bit unfair, considered the advantage of some chars, like Falco.
Oh gawd! Falco got no more advantage on those stages than anyone else does.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
True.

I don't really care about lowtier tournament, but I know that several smasher takes it real serious. And I can't understand how France just change the tierlist, when they also voted about it. (As you already had said)

I really hope that the european smashscene will decied a standard ruleset for all tournaments in Europe when Brawl is released, cuz this is f*cked up.
Yes, it's pretty bad for the people taking low tier seriously and it's also a pretty bad statement to just ignore the European tier list (or any tier list for that matter). Some clarification from the Frenchies would be much appreciated.

As for a standard European ruleset for Brawl... I doubt that's gonna happen. Every community has its own culture and ideas, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The game works well with different rulesets, people just have to be reasonable about it.

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
aww guys sorry to let you think we actually changed the tier list... no we didn't, and we don't have our own tier list...
but just as some people pointed it out, we all have our ideas and specialities depending on the country... well here in France, one of our best player plays link, and he's freaking good (Niam), but during a time, he wasn't the only one... Makenshi was playing Link at a high level too (now it's marth). so you have to understand that putting link in low tier tournaments in France is no fun at all. it's true that it's not the same for luigi, but hey, these 2 chars are way too good for low tiers (I pick link or luigi for low tier, don't think this ruleset is good for me XD).
Poilon is holiday, so when he comes back, he'll know about your complains and see what he can do. Please don't forget it's not my tournament, I'm not organizing it, I live 800Km away from it actually.
btw... crews >>> low tier

Hara

Smash Apprentice
Ye... This is getting out of hand to be honest, now my only reason is really to come and watch Armada own ;)

Frenchies, you need to understand that as you say, you can't make everyone happy with rules but that is why there is a more or less standard set of rules.
*Looks at most of the other 'big' European tourneys*

I myself have no big problem with the stages, EXCEPT Green Greens, i agree that the blocks can from time to time win/loose the match BUT when the randomness is there for BOTH players it's fair. It's your skill that decide how you use it to your advantage or avoid it. With this i of course don't mean to tell you that getting one more stage in because enough people whine about it is fair, just to get to your senses.

A wide range of stages is there for a reason and you can't get out there and "change" the tier list.

Hara

Smash Apprentice
Wait... I don't agree with the stages, i must have been talking out of my ***. Well anyway, you got my point.

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
also note that some Japanese players are willing to attend the tournament, and there's already way too many stages for them. Captain Jack and "2 or 3 friends" are interested in coming to this, CJ advertised it to the Japanese...
take the stage rules as a compromise for Japanese, French and European smashers :)

$hYne

Smash Ace
Germany, but i dont use this account anymore, my n
I don´t care bout low tiers anyway, but especially in Germany many people do so .
So it would be problem for a low tier Luigi main to switch to Ness e.g. ... but never mind .

Would be great to have some Japanese players there (i don´t need Ys and FoD lol )
I´m really looking forward to this .

Edit: If there are japanese players coming i would accept only those 5 stages but otherwise i don´t see any reason for banning stages like BF, Mute City,...

Luma

Smash Lord
aww guys sorry to let you think we actually changed the tier list... no we didn't, and we don't have our own tier list...
but just as some people pointed it out, we all have our ideas and specialities depending on the country... well here in France, one of our best player plays link, and he's freaking good (Niam), but during a time, he wasn't the only one... Makenshi was playing Link at a high level too (now it's marth). so you have to understand that putting link in low tier tournaments in France is no fun at all. it's true that it's not the same for luigi, but hey, these 2 chars are way too good for low tiers (I pick link or luigi for low tier, don't think this ruleset is good for me XD).
Poilon is holiday, so when he comes back, he'll know about your complains and see what he can do. Please don't forget it's not my tournament, I'm not organizing it, I live 800Km away from it actually.
btw... crews >>> low tier
ok so lets ban shiek for singles cuz amsah is just to good with her

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
That was in fact hilarious, and Luma does have a good point.

If you have a low tier tournament, then you're supposed to use a proper tier list. If not, call it a "bad character tournament" or whatever.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I myself have no big problem with the stages, EXCEPT Green Greens, i agree that the blocks can from time to time win/loose the match BUT when the randomness is there for BOTH players it's fair.
No, randomness favors the lesser player.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Your point has been made multiple times now, JD said to wait for Poilon. All your crappy oneliners do at this point is annoy the hell out of people.

bGin

Smash Rookie
i don'really understand why everybody is complaining about the rules even if it isn't the way "every" european players organize their tournaments all the poeple that where at ESA 1 will say that it's a great tournament, well organized and fun . i understand that it could be a bit "unfair" for people who are not used to this gameplay but isn't it part of the game ?
to conclude i'll just say that we should concentrate on the good points of this tournament because for me the most important part of a tournament is that everybody have fun and have no regrets afterwards isn't it ?

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Is it true like all french smashers plays fox/falco?, it´s understandable from the random stages allowed in my oppinion, no "perfect" marth stage either, with those really limited rules even I can see why wobbling is banned!!!, it´s because everyone plays falcos which gets ***** by IC's either way XD

Ryuker

Smash Lord
to conclude i'll just say that we should concentrate on the good points of this tournament because for me the most important part of a tournament is that everybody have fun and have no regrets afterwards isn't it ?
You can just hold a huge sleepover of if you want everyone to have fun. We hold tournaments to test each other and to determine who is best. We enter tournaments to win. We show up to have fun and meet people ^^.

I agree with helios on this and jd has given a invalid reasoning for banning these stages. If a stage is open with no obsticals it favors characters with projectiles ( especially that go in a straight line and go fast) or with good recovery so why is that a stage that you show you have skill on and not mutecity? If you say it's all about skill then your gonna have to accept the fact that improvisation and reaction is part of skill too otherwise your reasoning is wrong. Stay true to yourself JD ^^.

ivootjes(nr18)

Smash Lord
also note that some Japanese players are willing to attend the tournament, and there's already way too many stages for them. Captain Jack and "2 or 3 friends" are interested in coming to this, CJ advertised it to the Japanese...
take the stage rules as a compromise for Japanese, French and European smashers :)
I'd say try to focus on the euro smashers, no need to change rules for the japanese. What do you prefer, having the best 100 euro smashers or 3 japanese and a random bunch of frenchies?

On top of that, would you change the rules if Americans would attend? They're having a lot of stages on and use the MLG rules in pretty much any big tournament. And their community is a lot better than the european and japanese community combined.

bGin

Smash Rookie
You can just hold a huge sleepover of if you want everyone to have fun. We hold tournaments to test each other and to determine who is best. We enter tournaments to win. We show up to have fun and meet people ^^.
well it was a useless thing to say ,but it's just stupid to whine for all rules that u dont like .... and there are for sure a lot of good falcos in france but does those who play other caracters are whining ? ( put apart Doraki plz ...)
and i think that you were a ESA 1 and are you going to miss this tournament just because u don't like the stages ? i don't think so ...
well anyway you can stay on your position and whine but it's just useless because these rules worked at ESA 1 and i don't think that poilon will change them (we will see in 4 days when he'll be back in france) .

Ryuker

Smash Lord
I'm not whining for rules I don't like at all. I don't like mute city so if I was bias I would say good rules. But thats not the point. The point if you need to have a reason to ban something and a good one and both the reasons that I have seen do not prove it should be banned. It just shows how some people dislike the peach on mutecity match up but thats a different story. What I think should be on has nothing to do with this cause everyone is entitled to their own likings of stages. However if that were the case Hyrule temple would be on and so on but it isn't and their is a good reason for it. If JD gives a reason we can question it and saying these rules will not change at all cause their decided is a bit stupid. If a slight change in rules guarantee more peopel showing up then it would benefit the tournament so it should at least be considered.

jOs'z

Smash Cadet
Luma, if you don't have something clever or interesting to say, you can just shut up.

Why can't you people just wait and debate with Poilon ?

And definitely, there are not only Falco players in France, sure there are a lot, but not only.

Askeflink

Smash Journeyman
I'm not gonna whine very much, but I'm considering the tournament a bit, but the rules are really annying. I don't care very much about link and luigi, because you got a point, but others are bothering with it and it might not be right. At least allow more stages. Stages are something that makes smash a richer game, and your reasons for not allowing them aren't good for ban.

As I see it now, at least 90% (Frenchies and **** not under consideration) don't like the rules as it is.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
@ JD
No we will not ban Luma from this thread (yet).

@ Luma
Either post something constructive or don't post at all.
Keep your sarcasm/humor/random-comments-nobody-wants-to-hear to yourself. If not I'll be forced to take "redname>>>you" actions against you and you wouldn't want that now would you. ^__^

Martelinj

Smash Apprentice
No Brinstar at counterpick? That sucks ;_;

Well, Im considering coming to this, but it depends on the date, money, other norwegians coming and stuff. But Paris is too good, wanna go there.

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
NorwegianLink : you know very well that people open their mouth when it's not ok with them, but people who like the rules rarely post to say it. a minority shouting is always noisier than a majority in silence. that said, you also have to admit no ruleset will ever feel good for everyone O_o.
plus, how many of you guys have been to a BIG tournament with these stage rules? not many, I guess.
For the Dutch who've been to ESA, which had pretty much the same rules, what did you think of it?
give it a try and then complain...

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I agree with what JD said. Also, pissing off your entire country with a new ruleset just to please some foreigners who are obviously much less certain to attend would be pretty stupid.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Is it such a big deal for the french to play on other stages aswell?
Is it such a big deal for the foreigners to play on the 5 five french stages only ?
But well, I'll try to give you an answer that isn't a troll.
You see, playing on the stages you guys want would be pretty bad for most French smashers. We play smash is on the 5 stages mentionned in the rules, since we don't want to rely too much on the counterpick. It means that we're not used to play on stages like Mute City, Onett, Green Greens or Rainbow Ride. Personally, I haven't played on one of these stages in a serious match for monthes. And I don't even speak of some guys who are automatically selecting FD at the beginning of every match, but well, I admit those guys are a bit dumb. Imagine how bad it can be for us in a tournament.

So yes, playing on more stages would be a big problem here in France, because of the way we play smash.
And honestly, even if in the end, Poilon will be the one who'll decide, I think there is no way that the stages you want to add will be on for this tourney, even if you complain.
Our approach of a competitive Smash has been with 5 stages for long, and it will stay this way, even if you have a different approach of the game and attend this tournament.
When you organised tournament in Sweden or the Netherlands, we played with your rules, although I'm sure some guy complained about it, especially JD. Now it's time for you to play with ours (except low tier, probably, even though I think it's pretty sad to use the official tier list this way =/).

Top Bottom