• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Entire Piranha Plant Moveset (Everything there is so far)

Alolanvivillon

Smash Rookie
Piranha Plant
Visuals
Alts:
Red (Default skin. A reference to "New Super Mario Bros." version of the plant.)
Green (A clear reference to "Super Mario Bros.")
Black (Potentially a reference of the Prickly Piranha plant from "Super Mario Galaxy 2". More likely however is the Inky Piranha Plant from "Super Mario 3D Land")
White (Possibly a reference to the "Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins" with it's white and black color; or, another possibility is the Bone Piranha Plant )
Purple (Based off of the Prickly Piranha plant from "Super Mario Galaxy".)
Blue (Piranha plant appears here as he does in "Superstar Saga". Not entirely sure but that seems like the reference.)
Yellow (This one could be based off of the Golden Piranha from "Super Mario
Pink (The Piranha creeper is the clear reference for this one. It is from "Super Mario 3D World")

Final Smash: Petey Piranha.

Petey Piranha appears as he did in "Super Mario Sunshine" jumping around being very reminiscent of the boss fight inside of "Super Smash Bros. Brawl".
Idle/ Sleeping Animation: Most likely a nod to Super Mario 64 with the sleeping Piranha plants. Potentially an idle or sleeping animation, blinking is turned off for trailers so as of now we have no way of telling.
Run Animation: In Mario Party 1 in mini-games Piranha plant was able to run; this is most likely a reference to this animation; Another possibility is that it was also inspired from the Piranha plants from "Mario and Luigi: Partners in time".
Entrance: 8 bit pixelation. (Based on the look of the Piranha plant from "Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels")
Taunt 1: Rapid snapping. This is an Iconic move that Piranha plant does through various games.
Taunt 2/ Some other move: Piranha Plant moves up and down similar to how they appear in a majority of two dimensional Mario games.
This could be a move, but it is likely it is a taunt.
Taunt 3: In video 2. Does a spin, dancing happily. Most likely a reference to "Pop-Star Piranhas" from "Mario Party 6".

Grabs and throws
Grab: in Video 1 and Video 2 (I can't seem to find a direct reference to this.)
Pummel: is in Video 1. Snaps and opponent that is being held in place.
(Piranha plant does this in almost every single game.)
Up Throw: is in Video 1. Throws opponents above and snaps at them.
(Literally chomps people for a living.)
Forward throw: is in both Videos. Prepares self and bashes opponent with head.
Back throw: in the Nintendo Direct. Piranha spins the opponent around and slams them into the ground before sending him fly.

Grounded attacks
Dash attack: is in Videos 1 and 2. Leaps at opponent pot first
Down tilt: is used in Video 1. Small swipe of the leaf. Low knockback good combo tool.
Up Smash: Up Smash looks like it get's longer the longer it's charged. Tall Attack
Forward Smash: PP get's larger and turns black with spikes swinging their whole body forwards
Down Smash: Swings to both sides of them akin to Falcon down Smash.

Aerials
Nair: is used in Video 2. Spins around multiple times in the air. Hit around the entirety of him.
Uair or Fair: is used in Video 1. Similar to Captain falcon up-air, swings in a large arch that looks like a good juggling tool.
Dair: is used in Video 1. Stomps on the opponent... much like Falcons down air. I'm noticing a theme here.

Special
Neutral Special: Spike ball. Also could be the side special, but we are still waiting to hear if this move is side special or neutral special.
Videos 1 and 2. Can be decided the direction it will blow after being used.

Based on the "Ptooie" from the Mario series. https://www.mariowiki.com/Ptooie

Side Special: Toxic breath. This could also be the Spike ball attack, however we are awaiting confirmation.
Video 1 A non-flinching Area of effect attack. Effect is unknown however it is assumed that it will either deal damage or give the effect that the fatal frame assist trophy gave. Only time will tell. Another possibility is that it will make anyone within the breath dizzy.

Most likely taking from the Putrid Piranha of "Paper Mario".
Side note; When using the ability the Piranha Plant will switch colors.

Down Special: Growth This mechanic has to be either his down special or another attack, because we have to keep in mind it has to be an ability that Kirby can mimic with his Copy ability.
In Videos 1 and 2 Able to be angled in either direction and has physics in the air. Has super armor or heavy armor. To be determined.

Likely based off of the Elasto-Piranha from "Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time". It could also possibly be based off of the Piranha Plants from "Yoshi's Story". The former of the two can walk and extends, but the ladder can grow to be insanely tall. We can't tell exactly what the team was thinking but it's certainly interesting.

Up Special: Leaf Helicopter Sends Piranha Plant spinning upwards. Controllable in the air and looks like decent control.

I can't find a direct reference for this as of yet, the closest I can find is a Piranha Pest from (Yoshi's Story)

Video One:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZErYfCt_h2M
Video Two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcJZ9_Y-NBw

Edit: Added Back throw
Edit 2: Added the color swap with side special
Edit 3: Added the start to references.
Edit 4: Added more references with a new taunt, run animation, and idle. Also added some uncertainty about Uair and specials.
Edit 4.1: Added Taunt 2
Edit 4.2: Changed wording for sleeping

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I think Side Special has that new Poison effect that I believe was seen with the Fatal Frame Assist Trophy. I could be wrong, though...

Alolanvivillon

Smash Rookie
I think Side Special has that new Poison effect that I believe was seen with the Fatal Frame Assist Trophy. I could be wrong, though...
You could be right the only thing I noticed though was that when he was using it on people the character didn't wake up. However, that could be a thing of status' not being able to overlap. That was the best I could notice about it. I'll edit it to not sound so sure though.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Where does the leaf helicopter come from? I was even able to recognize Piranha Plant's feet since the ones in SMB3 could move, but is the recovery move original?

Alolanvivillon

Smash Rookie
Yellow with red dots is just what the Piranha Plants turn into for their poison spitting attack. Happens to be a direct reference to the Paper Mario series too.
Thanks man. Was getting ready to comment about that and you responded handling that. If you guys want, would you like to help me find the references for all of their moves?
That's a lot of work for one person in the same day that they've been doing this

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
All of the different colors (color changing during attacks included) are all based on different breeds of Piranha Plant, in fact, not a single alt costume was made up for smash!

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
Thanks man. Was getting ready to comment about that and you responded handling that. If you guys want, would you like to help me find the references for all of their moves?
That's a lot of work for one person in the same day that they've been doing this
Righto, I'll name two other references I've spotted so far.

-That one unidentified special attack with the spike ball comes from "Ptooie" Piranha Plants ( https://www.mariowiki.com/Ptooie ). They might also be where their stubby lil' legs come from?
-Side smash turns the Piranha Plant into a "Spiny Piranha Plant" from Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
But the real question, where are its fireballs?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Thanks for putting the videos up for easy access.

Fireballs would be good and make sense, but im thinking the stretching moves are neutral b. Hard to tell tho

Alolanvivillon

Smash Rookie
Thanks for putting the videos up for easy access.

Fireballs would be good and make sense, but I', thinking the stretching moves are neutral b. Hard to tell tho
I'm not sure. I figured it would be down special since that means we have easy access for pressing left or right to blow the spike ball to. Maybe I'm wrong

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm not sure. I figured it would be down special since that means we have easy access for pressing left or right to blow the spike ball to. Maybe I'm wrong
The stretching thing is what I meant.
the spike ball I dont know, down b could make sense.
I wonder what side b is tho

Alolanvivillon

Smash Rookie
The stretching thing is what I meant.
the spike ball I dont know, down b could make sense.
I wonder what side b is tho
It could be almost nothing but the toxic breath.
I was saying that Neutral special would be the spike ball because of it being easily able to throw the ball to either side. I think the fact that he crouches down before sprouting to be larger shows that it would be down special. I updated references on my post btw if you want to see those.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It could be almost nothing but the toxic breath.
I was saying that Neutral special would be the spike ball because of it being easily able to throw the ball to either side. I think the fact that he crouches down before sprouting to be larger shows that it would be down special. I updated references on my post btw if you want to see those.
You're right, it probably is. Ill have to watch again to see if it was used in the air, but you're probably right on all accounts there (sounds right)

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
In the first video, the wind-up for the poison spit attack has a little audiovisual cue at the end and then he changes back briefly before shooting the actual projectile. It seems like it works like Needles or Charge Shot, though I have no idea what the effect being changed by charging it is.

Alolanvivillon

Smash Rookie
Up tilt is actually down tilt it hits too low to be an up tilt
Fixed it. I meant to put down tilt but it was hard trying to multitask reading info on Piranha plants while watching the direct footage and writing this. Thanks for the correction. That helps

Akiak

Smash Ace
Willing to bet the poison is the down special and Growth is the side special, just makes more sense to me

Unless there's some proof I'm not aware of?

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Fixed it. I meant to put down tilt but it was hard trying to multitask reading info on Piranha plants while watching the direct footage and writing this. Thanks for the correction. That helps
Also uair could very well be forward air we do have forward airs that already exist that look like this one, and this one sends at about a 30 or 35 degree angle so maybe put it behind a slash?

Alolanvivillon

Smash Rookie
Willing to bet the poison is the down special and Growth is the side special, just makes more sense to me

Unless there's some proof I'm not aware of?
But it starts off in a neutral position so it wouldn't make sense if he ducks down, and then goes in one direction after being in that neutral stance. The only question is if Growth is N-Special or D-Special; but It's definitively not side special. That wouldn't make any sense gameplay wise.

Also uair could very well be forward air we do have forward airs that already exist that look like this one, and this one sends at about a 30 or 35 degree angle so maybe put it behind a slash?
That looks more like Falcon or Ike up air to me. Really with Aerials we can only be sure of his Dair.
What I have as Nair could be Bair, Uair could be fair. It's really not able to be said so this is just the most logical choices with what we've seen in the past with Smash Bros.

TheFacelessOne

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I think the specials are set in the following way:

Neutral b: Growth. Reason being that it looks like it goes into it's plants and you hold b and move it left and right to angle it.

Side b: Poison. Reason being he can then spit it left or right.

Down b: spike ball. I think this just feels right you know? growth being activated with down b just feels a little awkward to me.

We all know what up-b is...

*edit*
Took out some. Just ended up stating the obvious.

Last edited:

fxd001

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty confident that growth is definitely not neutral b. You've gotta remember that a character's neutral b has to not only be usable by them, but also by Kirby too. Both the spike ball and poison cloud would both make perfect sense coming out of Kirby's mouth, but there's no way a move as specifically designed for piranha plant's... unique body type would work for anyone else.

Alolanvivillon

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty confident that growth is definitely not neutral b. You've gotta remember that a character's neutral b has to not only be usable by them, but also by Kirby too. Both the spike ball and poison cloud would both make perfect sense coming out of Kirby's mouth, but there's no way a move as specifically designed for piranha plant's... unique body type would work for anyone else.
That's pretty much my logic for this entire move set.
Unless... When kirby uses copy he's in a pot. I need it.

Lorisaur

Smash Cadet
Am I the only one who thinks that the falcon-like aerial attack is a Fair instead of an upair?

However, I'm pretty hyped for the piranha plant, the aerials look so good and I can clearly see it as my secondary

Alolanvivillon

Smash Rookie
Am I the only one who thinks that the falcon-like aerial attack is a Fair instead of an upair?

However, I'm pretty hyped for the piranha plant, the aerials look so good and I can clearly see it as my secondary
You're not the only one who thinks that's, other people have however the less slashes I can have for this the better. And I look at it and think Falcon, Ike, Marth, Corrin, Mario, etc. If anything else comes out about him I'll fix it but that just makes the most logical sense to me. Considering how most fairs come from the head striking downwards not coming from below going upwards. That's more commonly uairs.

Akiak

Smash Ace
But it starts off in a neutral position so it wouldn't make sense if he ducks down, and then goes in one direction after being in that neutral stance. The only question is if Growth is N-Special or D-Special; but It's definitively not side special. That wouldn't make any sense gameplay wise.
That seems like a bit of an exaggeration, but looking back at it I see where you're coming from.

However one thing of note is that the poison attack needs to be charged once before being used. Would it really make sense for it to be side-b?

Alolanvivillon

Smash Rookie
That seems like a bit of an exaggeration, but looking back at it I see where you're coming from.

However one thing of note is that the poison attack needs to be charged once before being used. Would it really make sense for it to be side-b?
That is a fair point. I really do think the Ptooie ability is neutral special but I think it could also be poison breath. I was thinking of kirby hammer being side special and it being chargeable, so I was thinking it could also share that property. I could be incorrect.

Freecs

Smash Cadet
There’s a mini game in Mario Party 1 where a piranha plant chases someone riding on a skateboard, so piranha plants have been able to move before.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Guys, I just had a thought:
Do you think the move where Piranha Plant slinks into the pot then lunges out to bite counts as a tether? I mean, it certainly has the makings.

Lorisaur

Smash Cadet
Guys, I just had a thought:
Do you think the move where Piranha Plant slinks into the pot then lunges out to bite counts as a tether? I mean, it certainly has the makings.
Hey, never thought about it. Personally don't think so, but Isabelle got the tether so Piranha Plant maybe will get it too

Lorisaur

Smash Cadet
I agree, pretty sure it's a Fair
I'm quite sure, with that incredible Fair and Nair, as well as the very good downtilt and possibly the spiny, which might be good if it bounces like a gordo, will be a mid-high tier character or at least quite solid overall

Alolanvivillon

Smash Rookie
I agree, pretty sure it's a Fair
Hey, never thought about it. Personally don't think so, but Isabelle got the tether so Piranha Plant maybe will get it too
I updated it just now to add more references and added some addition things about the aerials and specials. Hopefully this is better for you guys. I also want to know what you guys think about the clip of multiple of him snapping at Squirtle. Could this possibly be his up tilt, a taunt, or some other attack. We never see it hit so I can't be sure, but if it's a long lasting up tilt that could be very dangerous in specific situations.

Akiak

Smash Ace
I updated it just now to add more references and added some addition things about the aerials and specials. Hopefully this is better for you guys. I also want to know what you guys think about the clip of multiple of him snapping at Squirtle. Could this possibly be his up tilt, a taunt, or some other attack. We never see it hit so I can't be sure, but if it's a long lasting up tilt that could be very dangerous in specific situations.
Definitely leaning towards taunt myself

Top Bottom