• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Enemy Of The Federation - Sylux for Smash Ultimate (DLC)

andree123

Smash Ace
The only Metroid Prime Hunter spirits of hunters we got at launch is Kanden and Trace, there is no spirits of Sylux and the rest of the hunters in Ultimate, but I'm still thinking that Sylux has a 100% chance of becoming a fighter.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Personally I think porting the Prime Trilogy would make a lot of sense anyways, since Prime 4 has sparked interest in the series as a whole by newcomers to it and it'd be a great way to get these new switch owners and potential fans to get caught up on the story for Prime 4 or at least have context to what happened prior.

It's definitely not looking good, I'll say that. Though, I do wonder what exactly "scrapped" means. Did they not like things like the gameplay, engine, atmosphere, etc. but liked the overall story? Because if that's the case I think Sylux is still hanging in there. If they're going in a different direction with the story, that might be it for him. Time will tell, but if anything I'd hope for a Season 2/3 Fighter Pass entry (depending how many there are).
From what has been going around in rumors, development was canceled due to Nintendo trying to do what Ubisoft does and have development teams around the world work on it. Some times we're doing really well and on schedule while others... we're a dumpster fire. It makes sense as we were told by Reggie development was doing fine near the end of December but that's most likely because they hadn't done a check-up on all the teams, and apparently most were behind schedule and we're pretty bad at what they were doing. For why it shifted to Retro it's been said by the same source that Retro came up with a demo that blew Nintendo's socks off to restart development and let Retro take the helm.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
A supposed industry insider, ZhugeEX, posted this.
So here is some old info I have then I never posted.

Essentially MP4 as a project started at the end of 2016/beginning of 2017. Bandai Namco Singapore worked on the pre-production phase which I believe ended before the trailer at E3 was shown. So that's how early Nintendo decided to announce that the game was in development. Game was based on Unreal 4 and was always going to be a 2019 or 2020 release. Bandai Namco Japan was brought on to work on the game and Nintendo studios were also assisting in various areas. From what I heard, Nintendo wanted to push MP4 to be a flagship title, so increased the budget and scope of the game to try and get it to that AAA level.

Seems things weren't working for this reboot to happen.
If it's true, then the point that it was going for a 2019/2020 release could be a plus to Sylux's chances for being a name on Nintendo's pre-approved DLC list.

But obviously, we need to figure out how recent the decision to reboot the development was.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The only Metroid Prime Hunter spirits of hunters we got at launch is Kanden and Trace, there is no spirits of Sylux and the rest of the hunters in Ultimate, but I'm still thinking that Sylux has a 100% chance of becoming a fighter.
I would say Sylux's chances as DLC are like 60% to 70% percent instead of 100%. No character is 100% percent guaranteed no matter how likely they're.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, pretty much. It took 17 years for :ultdaisy: to get in here, in particular.
:ultdaisy:'s first game was Super Mario Land, so she has actually been waiting 20 years instead of 17. Same goes for :ultridley: and :ultkrool:. I don't count 3rd parties into that subject because I don't know if it was even a thought in Sakurai's mind during the first Smash game.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
:ultdaisy:'s first game was Super Mario Land, so she has actually been waiting 20 years instead of 17. Same goes for :ultridley: and :ultkrool:. I don't count 3rd parties into that subject because I don't know if it was a thought in Sakurai's mind during the first Smash game.
I was going on from Melee, since secondary characters wasn't the focus for the first Smash (even if :ultluigi: and arguably :ultjigglypuff: are the exceptions). Even then :ultpeach: would have to have been picked over her out of necessity.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I was going on from Melee, since secondary characters wasn't the focus for the first Smash (even if :ultluigi: and arguably :ultjigglypuff: are the exceptions). Even then :ultpeach: would have to have been picked over her out of necessity.
But :ultbowser:, :ultpeach:, :ultmewtwo:, and :ultkingdedede: were all originally suppose to have been included in Smash 64 but didn't due to time constraints. Secondary characters were planned for the first game.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
But :ultbowser:, :ultpeach:, :ultmewtwo:, and :ultkingdedede: were all originally suppose to have been included in Smash 64 but didn't due to time constraints. Secondary characters were planned for the first game.
Yes, but still no :ultdaisy: taken into consideration as you can see, so my point still stands. She wasn't getting much appearances before Mario Tennis debuted the next year after Smash.

Shifting to a different topic, this bit grabbed my attention:

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...a-plant-character-changes-online-much-more/3/

When you put him next to characters like Bowser and King K. Rool, he’s pure evil isn’t he? In terms of popularity Ridley was a hit overseas, but speaking frankly, he didn’t really click as much in Japan, did he?

Sakurai: I think that if a villain actually looks like one, people overseas probably enjoy it more. There might also be people that think that if Ridley isn’t truly huge it just isn’t Ridley.
So odds are Sylux probably doesn't have too much supporters on Japan's side of the pond, since he looks somewhat sinister.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
ZhugeEX is known as a reliable insider person so his stuff is more often than not worthwhile.

Working under the assumption that the entire statement is true, it does give a bit of good news for us in the wake of Prime 4's reboot. Pushing for it as a truly major title lends credence to the idea that said push would also involve cross promotion, i.e Sylux being on the list of characters Nintendo showed to Sakurai. Moreover, the game was being made (based on the time frame provided) around the time since Ultimate started development, so it's not unreasonable that Prime 4 was on Nintendo's radar when that list of characters was drafted.

There's still ambiguity in this whole thing, but relating to Sylux specifically, I don't think things are as bad as they might seem at first glance. If they selected it, then they're probably not gonna drop it over a delay.

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...a-plant-character-changes-online-much-more/3/

So odds are Sylux probably doesn't have too much supporters on Japan's side of the pond, since he looks somewhat sinister.
Speaking strictly to the design point, not really.

The kind of design Sylux has isn't inherently evil, per se, not to mention that a design can be off putting yet still heroic at the same time. It's not uncommon for Sylux to get compared design-wise to the Evangelion Unit-01, which if you know anything about Evangelion, is a remarkably horrifying machine in concept and practice, yet it's on the side of good. Hopping back to Sylux, it's not hard to imagine a hero underneath the suit, which is made easier by the fact that it's still an ambiguous character, unlike Ridley, who has been flat out evil and designed around that alignment for decades.

TLDR: Sylux isn't exactly sinister-looking enough (based on reasonable interpretation) for this point to be a knock against it over in Japan, especially not compared to Ridley.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Speaking strictly to the design point, not really.

The kind of design Sylux has isn't inherently evil, per se, not to mention that a design can be off putting yet still heroic at the same time. It's not uncommon for Sylux to get compared design-wise to the Evangelion Unit-01, which if you know anything about Evangelion, is a remarkably horrifying machine in concept and practice, yet it's on the side of good. Hopping back to Sylux, it's not hard to imagine a hero underneath the suit, which is made easier by the fact that it's still an ambiguous character, unlike Ridley, who has been flat out evil and designed around that alignment for decades.

TLDR: Sylux isn't exactly sinister-looking enough (based on reasonable interpretation) for this point to be a knock against it over in Japan, especially not compared to Ridley.
Well, that's fair. With this reasoning, the only big thing getting in his way (besides the third party boogiemen most people seem to be afraid of here) would be giving the roster less variety by adding yet another heroic-looking figure, and even then that clearly won't be a problem, if Joker's any indication.

So unless he's swapped out at the last minute for a future DLC season or something, his chances are looking good.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Yes, but still no :ultdaisy: taken into consideration as you can see, so my point still stands. She wasn't getting much appearances before Mario Tennis debuted the next year after Smash.

I mean... while us in the West we're basically /big/ on Ridley they were actually big on Dark Samus... I'd say Sylux actually looks a tad bit less evil seeming as his gear is Federation-made. Then again as seen in Federation force he had a different colored arm so... it's very much possible they've redesigned him and were waiting for Prime 4 to show the whole redesign off.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
Well, that's fair. With this reasoning, the only big thing getting in his way (besides the third party boogiemen most people seem to be afraid of here) would be giving the roster less variety by adding yet another heroic-looking figure, and even then that clearly won't be a problem, if Joker's any indication.

So unless he's swapped out at the last minute for a future DLC season or something, his chances are looking good.
Well, I wouldn't go and call and call Sylux a "heroic-looking figure". Sure, his/her design doesn't scream "100% evil conniving space-*******", but overall Sylux's design does lean more towards a sinister alignment (dark-ish color palette, a buncha jagged bits, etc).

Anyhow, I really don't think his character design would be the be-all end-all factor for including Sylux in the roster. There's a bunch of more important stuff regarding MP4 happening behind the scenes that we aren't aware of that have way more impact on Sylux's "chances".

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's definitely not looking good, I'll say that. Though, I do wonder what exactly "scrapped" means. Did they not like things like the gameplay, engine, atmosphere, etc. but liked the overall story? Because if that's the case I think Sylux is still hanging in there. If they're going in a different direction with the story, that might be it for him. Time will tell, but if anything I'd hope for a Season 2/3 Fighter Pass entry (depending how many there are).
Sounds like it was a game feel problem. Maybe the new mechanics bogged things down or maybe the the world design just couldn't be made appealing.

In any case, it looks like we'll be waiting at least a year or two before we hear of Metroid Prime 4 again.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Here's a question... Do you think we'd ever see a remaster of Hunters for the Switch? Say, bundled with the Prime Trilogy?

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Here's a question... Do you think we'd ever see a remaster of Hunters for the Switch? Say, bundled with the Prime Trilogy?
I'd settle for a Trilogy Remake for the switch with Hunters as a multiplayer mode

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Honestly? I'd prefer that.

Metroid Prime 2's multiplayer mode was...a thing that existed for some reason. The game wasn't built for the mode, though I did enjoy goofing off with it. But having Hunters included in such a remaster, with it's multiplayer mode being included? That'd be fun.

Broken if they did not fix the problems in that game (EX. Weavil being able to reliably glitch through most walls. or scale objects no other hunter could under normal gravity), but a fun time all around.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Both are outstanding ideas. You guys should go work at Nintendo and give them advice. ;)
I've had that dream once but that was mostly about having my fancfic as the story for the new Subspace Emissary.
And then I woke up...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Is too bad patches weren’t a thing then to fix stuff like the Weavel glitching, but again, Hunters was during the infancy of online gaming, particularly on Nintendo’s end. I’d be for that kind of expansive multiplayer again as an extra if it’s good, although that might be better saved for another spinoff or something rather than Prime 4. MP2’s was just an afterthought/tacked on multiplayer that didn’t really need to exist.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
You guys heard about the theory that Mii Swordfighter and Duck Hunt could be placeholder bases for some DLC fighters based on the save corruption glitch?

Now, I don't believe it myself (I think the save corruption is just another bug that happened for unrelated reasons), but I thought it'd be hilarious if if turns out that if Sylux is a DLC fighter, they used Duck Hunt as his base based solely on the word Hunt being in the name.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I'll never not be depressed by how dirty the did All-Star mode this game.
And I mean, of course they're using Duck Hunt as Sylux's base, it makes perfect sense. 100% confirmed.
Also yeah, I think that theory is 100% beans

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'll never not be depressed by how dirty the did All-Star mode this game.
I am just going to get this out of TV Tropes.
"All-Star Mode being replaced with All-Star Smash might seem like a letdown but think about it: in the last game, All-Star mode was a daunting and harrowing task to complete in one go and that was without the DLCs added in! Trying to beat 70+ fighters with a limited number of healing items would be an exercise in masochism. At least in All-Star Smash the characters have the durability of a Mii Fighting Team member so you can send 'em flying. Just be aware, don't get swarmed and you'll do fine."

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Agree, I would not of wanted to do the original All-Star again with all 70+ characters. Classic mode was enough, though I don’t deny there could’ve been a bit more single player modes apart from the spirit related ones, but still feel I got my time/money’s worth.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
It's just that gauntlet modes are my jam. It also would've been the most satisfying victory ever. You literally beat everyone with your own skills and abilities, you truly are number one. You're winner.
But I also get it if some people don't have the grits or general want to fight what would end up being 75 fighters in succession. Tis a personal preference thing.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
It certainly wouldn't be for everybody, but I really wish that All-Star mode was still there for masochistic ***** like me that want it. It's not like Cruel Smash is everyone's thing either.

It doesn't even have to unlock anything, the victory is enough.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I probably would’ve heard about any new leaks involving Sylux already unless it’s some bog standard 4chan post. Even then, the only supposed leak with some semblance of direction in our favor was that 4chan one from last year which apart from supposedly claiming Joker prior to TGA, also claimed Edelgard and Banjo, and as of now there’s no hard evidence to suggest that one’s true, considering the verdict isn’t even out on Brave yet.

The upcoming Direct, if it happens as rumored and has a Smash reveal, likely won’t provide any clarity unless:

-It’s a first party (regardless of who it is, a first party would probably eliminate the wholly third party 2ch leak)
-It’s a non-2ch leak third party (so no Hayabusa, Steve, Doom Marine)
-It’s Edelgard (apart from tying into the first point, supports the only real leak pointing in our direction)
-It’s Sylux (very unlikely, but would throw off everyone and end speculation on our side)

Erdrick wouldn’t affect anything on account of everyone and their mother claiming Erdrick at this stage, and he doesn’t definitively point towards one leak or the other so it’s not worth mentioning.

We’re all going in blind apart from the open secret that is Brave for the moment.

andree123

Smash Ace
Direct is announced coming tomorrow, we may expect new Metroid info (likely the rumored Metroid Prime Trilogy Switch port), Sylux getting announced in this direct is a pipedream, but I'm still really expecting him to be announced in E3 2019 or months after June.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Well, direct is happening today and if we believe direct leaks we may be getting info on a Prime Trilogy port today but that'll be something we have to wait and see on.

I doubt Sylux would be revealed with a Prime Trilogy port but it'd be nice.

Nonetheless to explain the theory the next DLC fighters are based on Mii Swlrdfighter and Dunk Hunt or at least used them as a base is because in the animation files Piranha Plant has a lot of animations from Bowser Jr in his, which makes people think he had Bowser Jr as base.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

No Palutena's Guidance for characters after Piranha Plant? Well, at least the generic "I have no data on this fighter" codec placeholder for DLC would go well with the mysterious aspect of Sylux's character, if he still happens anyway.

Eldrake

Smash Lord

No Palutena's Guidance for characters after Piranha Plant? Well, at least the generic "I have no data on this fighter" codec placeholder for DLC would go well with the mysterious aspect of Sylux's character, if he still happens anyway.
Imagine if Sylux is DLC, Palutena's Guidance for the DLC fighters is added in a free future update, but they purposefully leave Sylux with no proper Guidance. That's totally something I could see Sakurai doing as a joke.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace

Lord give me strength, please don't play me like that Mr. Sakurai. It's the only thing I want.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Btw, they updated the DLC page if the buy now page.

"DLC packs will also be available for individual purchase upon release for US$5.99 each. All packs will be released by Feb. 2020, but be sure to check back for exact timing and more details."

Not much at all really, not sure how long it's been like this but I know for sure the specific month of February was never mentioned, just 2020. So basically we have a year till all of the Fighter Pass is released.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
From the latest Nintendo Dream interview with Sakurai.

I don’t intend to dive into conspiracy theories too much, but that makes Sylux’s exclusion as a Spirit all the more bizarre. Trace and Kanden evidently prove that neither of those two factors were a problem.

This pretty much says nothing to support or disprove the Spirits deconfirming theory either, so no help on that front. DLC speculation won’t get varied until we see that third character.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138

I don’t intend to dive into conspiracy theories too much, but that makes Sylux’s exclusion as a Spirit all the more bizarre. Trace and Kanden evidently prove that neither of those two factors were a problem.

This pretty much says nothing to support or disprove the Spirits deconfirming theory either, so no help on that front. DLC speculation won’t get varied until we see that third character.
I honestly don't think this confirms or deconfirms anything.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I still think the spirit team just did whatever they felt like including, given that some omissions don't remotely make any sense (e.g. Kirby's art-related characters all being glossed over, especially Paint Roller clearly having a Nightmare in Dream Land illustration)

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
So with the fact the 30 extra slots were cut down to fifteen, 10 not counting the current fighter pack, it realistically looks like we have two more fighter passes on our hands.

So... I will say if Sylux doesn't get in this pack, I'm sure he'll be in one of the future two we're most likely getting. Frankly I'd rather soon than later but if we get him at all that's good enough for me. Heck, might be some weird thinking but he could be the reason for two more fighter packs if Sakurai had decided he was originally a promotional pick and will stay that way so he decided to make 9 more characters to fill in time till Prime 4 was in a announcable state again, revealing Sylux as the end of hypothetical fighter pack 3.

I don't think that's the case, but a weird thought. Still hoping he gets in, no matter how many fighter passes or games we go through.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/my-research-into-metroid-prime-hunters-and-“toon-metroid”.472347/

Also, didn't know if this was ever brought up here before, but I found it interesting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom