• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Enemy Of The Federation - Sylux for Smash Ultimate (DLC)

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
First time I've heard about Metroid Prime 1.5. The concept and premise sounds neat, and I can see some of the ideas were revisited, such as the presence of other bounty hunters, Evil Samus (though technically Dark Samus happened in Metroid Prime 1 already) and co-op multiplayer. Sylux being a robot/AI would make sense too with what we know, so I could see that specific idea being revisited.
Personally I meant Sylux being partnered with it rather than being the AI itself but... that would be a way to keep the gender a secret and it's a nice idea (plus we could always use more robots in Smash), nonetheless though I do think the proposed personality (and it's splits) of the AI and Sylux's hate filled nature while also being quite intelligent (hacking a government facility with a space watch... which I gotta admit sounds like a neat thing for a unique counter if Sylux got one, taking damage but disabling his opponent's special attacks for x amount of seconds) it just sounds like the two would get along together well a whole lot, that's character chemistry I suppose.

But yeah, I'm homstly really hoping the evil AI idea is revisited, and if for some reason Prime four takes place after fusion... we could get Samus and her AI of Adam against Sylux and it's AI.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
You know, since Ovaltine Ovaltine brought up the possibility of standalone character DLC in the Geno thread, that got me thinking.

What if Sylux was announced as standalone DLC at E3 to promote MP4, long after everyone in the pass got announced?

View attachment 184523
I thought MP4 was supposed to be out before Feb 2020? Seems like it would be weird for him to be a promo pick for a game that's been out a while.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Although I'm more of a Rundas fan, Sylux is amazing too and all signs point to him:

Apperently, MP 4 features him
Federation Force (Does that exist tho?) Had him in the post credits
Kanden and Trace have spirits but not Sylux
Samus and Dark Samus have Kanden alts for some reason, but no other references to Hunters.

He's probably in and I'm hyped

Edit: How do I get on that nice support list?

Last edited:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Dark Samus' red costume is a reference to Trace from Metroid Prime Hunters which he also appears as a spirit.
That's right, I forgot about that.
At least the fact that MPH is represented without Sylux, the most prominent of the hunters, is a good sign

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Edit: How do I get on that nice support list?
Once I notice someone asking, I throw them in, of course.

Even if at this point it's merely a leftover from two other versions of this same thread that I'm too lazy to edit out.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Dark Samus' red costume is a reference to Trace from Metroid Prime Hunters which he also appears as a spirit.
It’s probably more a reference to Mother Brain since Dark Samus had the red skin in the spirit battle with MB.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
It’s probably more a reference to Mother Brain since Dark Samus had the red skin in the spirit battle with MB.
Personally I don't see why it can't be a reference to both, some characters do have costumes that reference two or more things.

Though I do say it's more of a reference to Trace seeming as Dark Samus does have a sort of pattern of her alts being references to at least two other Hunters: Grandrayda and Kanden, so it kinda makes sense for it to also be a reference to Trace...

Though I think it is fair to point out Wikitroid says this about D.S.'s alts:
  • Blue - Her default appearance, taken from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption with embellishments.
  • Green - Changes her visor and shoulder and chest lights to yellow, and her suit to green with blue green accents.
  • Purple - Changes her visor and lights to a bright purple, and her suit to a deep purple. The color resembles Gandrayda from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and is used to represent her during her respective Spirit Battle.
  • Dark Red - Changes her visor and lights to yellow, and her suit to dark red. It resembles Samus's sprite in Metroid II: Return of Samus, when colorized through the Game Boy Color.
  • Gold - Changes her visor and lights to light blue, and her suit to gold. It resembles the Golden Torizofrom Super Metroid.
  • Silver - Changes her visor and lights to red, and her suit to silver. Resembles concept art of her from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.
  • Black - Changes her visor and lights to yellow-orange, and her suit to black. It may be inspired by concept art of her from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.
  • Pink - Changes her visor and lights to purple, and her suit to a dull pink.

So... it could be either way tbh, then again I really only go by the references in Aarontimar and his costume origin series since he usually digs really deep into those.

Either way, might mean Sylux would get some different alts than we think or not, who knows. Though if he gets a new design in Prime 4 and they do an Ike sort of thing it could alternate between:

New design
Old design
New design

Then so forth, of course the first two being default colors and the rest being the alts, and assuming Dark Samus has three hunters I think the rest would go in this order for references based on this pattern (including the defaults for it to feel complete)

Sylux (New/Potentially New design)
Sylux (Old/Current design)
Rundas (Because the potential new design would be console title and not a portable title, makes sense to be a color swap of the console game design of Sylux's potential new console game look)
Weavel (Debuted in Hunters with Sylux in a portable title, makes sense to be an color swap of his old/current design)
Ghor (Same reasoning for Rundas)
Noxus (Same reasoning for Weavel)
Federation Trooper/Federation Force (Federation Force is the game that propelled Sylux into his chance for potential future appearances, it'd make sense for a color swap of the game that kicked off this new story revolving around him would be on his new design... which we could've seen a slight glimpse at in that secret cutscene, correct me if I'm wrong on this if someone ever took the time to datamine FF and found the model for that scene... which I highly doubt happened)
Spire(Same reasoning for Weavel).

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Let's assume that the whole 'brave' thing that's exploded over the last 24 hours is actually Erdrick as a number of insiders have seemingly pointed towards. Despite that, it's still too early to say whether the Fighter Pass is entirely third party. I'm also aware of that random, entirely third party 2ch leak claiming that in addition to Joker and Erdrick, we're getting the Doom Slayer, Steve and Ryu Hayabusa; not worth paying attention to until we get our third Fighter Pass reveal. Joker isn't even in a playable state yet as far to our knowledge, so the next showing could be around E3 depending on when Joker and Erdrick come out.

Something like this really should go without saying, but Smash is a rather touchy community when it comes to making predictions and setting expectations. Though I will say I'm baffled that the team repeated almost the exact same mistake that got Ryu leaked in Smash 4.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let's assume that the whole 'brave' thing that's exploded over the last 24 hours is actually Erdrick as a number of insiders have seemingly pointed towards. Despite that, it's still too early to say whether the Fighter Pass is entirely third party. I'm also aware of that random, entirely third party 2ch leak claiming that in addition to Joker and Erdrick, we're getting the Doom Slayer, Steve and Ryu Hayabusa; not worth paying attention to until we get our third Fighter Pass reveal. Joker isn't even in a playable state yet as far to our knowledge, so the next showing could be around E3 depending on when Joker and Erdrick come out.

Something like this really should go without saying, but Smash is a rather touchy community when it comes to making predictions and setting expectations. Though I will say I'm baffled that the team repeated almost the exact same mistake that got Ryu leaked in Smash 4.
At least they had the sense to not use actual names this time (except with :ultpiranha:). Then again, is there anything that'll stop a hacker from breaking into some place? Leakers of the Smash community can get desperate like that.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

Seems as though we’ve now lost a key argument for Sylux, that being an inclusion tied in to Prime 4. If they’re effectively hitting the reset button now, then Prime 4 is essentially a 2022-2023 title at this stage and Sylux getting in would feel pretty out of place roughly two years early. Of course, if there was a promotional Fighter Pass character, they were presumably decided without consideration of delays, so it’s possible this wouldn’t change anything if Sylux was a chosen fighter; though that’s a pretty big if.

Granted, I’d rather see a delay if it means Prime 4 is good, but this whole situation has created an air of uncertainty for the present time of speculation. We’ll have to see what happens.

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
So, Nintendo is planning to have a lot of Metroid stuff for the switch until the next console is announced?
2019: Sylux is in smash ultimate as a DLC fighter.
2020: 2D Metroid game for the Switch is revealed and later released.
2021: Metroid Prime 4's release date is revealed.
2022: Metroid Prime 4 is out.
2023 and above: Metroid Prime 4 DLC and more Metroid games?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

Seems as though we’ve now lost a key argument for Sylux, that being an inclusion tied in to Prime 4. If they’re effectively hitting the reset button now, then Prime 4 is essentially a 2022-2023 title at this stage and Sylux getting in would feel pretty out of place roughly two years early. Of course, if there was a promotional Fighter Pass character, they were presumably decided without consideration of delays, so it’s possible this wouldn’t change anything if Sylux was a chosen fighter; though that’s a pretty big if.

Granted, I’d rather see a delay if it means Prime 4 is good, but this whole situation has created an air of uncertainty for the present time of speculation. We’ll have to see what happens.
Now I regret getting hypes at E3 2017 for MP4 because now we gotta wait even longer.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Now I regret getting hypes at E3 2017 for MP4 because now we gotta wait even longer.
This is honestly a good thing.

Retro’s working with Prime again, and I’d rather see a delay with them improving Prime 4 than getting a game earlier that really isn’t the best thing. When you look at recent times with games getting canned mid development (hi EA) or shipped in an awful state (hi Bethesda), this is arguably the best possible outcome.

I’m bummed that I won’t see Prime 4 until after I graduate from college, yes, but I’m also relieved to hear that it’s in proven hands rather than some unknown new team.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Well that's unfortunate. Seems like Sylux is only gonna happen as a DLC fighter if the development team picked him long before the delay happened and they decide not to scrap him in light of this.

That said, Retro Studios being involved with MP4 is good news.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

Retro’s working with Prime again, and I’d rather see a delay with them improving Prime 4 than getting a game earlier that really isn’t the best thing. When you look at recent times with games getting canned mid development (hi EA) or shipped in an awful state (hi Bethesda), this is arguably the best possible outcome.

I’m bummed that I won’t see Prime 4 until after I graduate from college, yes, but I’m also relieved to hear that it’s in proven hands rather than some unknown new team.
Especially since the video at first sounded like they were just going to cancel the whole thing.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989

I mean, if Sylux was chosen before this development restart they can't go back on it. Sakurai did state once the characters eeee all chosen that's who they were making and that's final, they can't go back and change it or at wlsst rhey said that for the base game but I'm quite sure they're using the same philosophy as then for the DLC. If Sylux is apart of the DLC... he may feel a bit out of place to promote a game coming out way later but at least then since people hate promotional fighters like Corrin... it'd be hella lot less obvious.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I can say this with almost certainty though; if Sylux is one of the DLC fighters despite everything, his accompanying stage (with the minuscule chance of a boss fight for Classic Mode) will likely be based on something from Hunters.

I say Vesper Defense Outpost would be a good choice for a stage. The other hunters show up in the background fighting each other (non-hazard cameos, think something like the Castlevania monsters in Dracula's Castle stage) while the smashers are smashing each other in the foreground.

As for a potential boss, Gorea if they stuck exclusively to Hunters content.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I mean, if Sylux was chosen before this development restart they can't go back on it. Sakurai did state once the characters eeee all chosen that's who they were making and that's final, they can't go back and change it or at wlsst rhey said that for the base game but I'm quite sure they're using the same philosophy as then for the DLC. If Sylux is apart of the DLC... he may feel a bit out of place to promote a game coming out way later but at least then since people hate promotional fighters like Corrin... it'd be hella lot less obvious.
I think the thing here isn't that they CAN'T go back on it but that they probably don't WANT to go back on it. If they decide to scrap Sylux then they have to start over with someone else, which even if they haven't started animating him they've probably put in a decent amount of work planning and doing concepts for him.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Promotional tie ins getting messed with because of delays is a fairly common occurrence in gaming as is. Obviously a complete reworking of a game is different to a delay, but the principle is the same. Roy's game was going to release before Melee, but a delay happened and the rest is history. Even now there are DLC candidates who this delay business could've applied to and nothing would really change, such as if Edelgard was selected (just pretend that's the case for a moment) and was scheduled for release close to Three Houses in Spring. Then Three Houses, for whatever reason gets delayed to Autumn, but Edelgard would likely release on the original intended date anyway.

The good thing about Sylux is that it's an already established character who doesn't necessarily need Prime 4 as a tie in, compared to candidates like the aforementioned Edelgard. Sylux could be rearranged to be based on Hunters and it really wouldn't be much different in the end.

They're not gonna scrap an entire character just because of a missed tie in anyway.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Promotional tie ins getting messed with because of delays is a fairly common occurrence in gaming as is. Obviously a complete reworking of a game is different to a delay, but the principle is the same. Roy's game was going to release before Melee, but a delay happened and the rest is history. Even now there are DLC candidates who this delay business could've applied to and nothing would really change, such as if Edelgard was selected (just pretend that's the case for a moment) and was scheduled for release close to Three Houses in Spring. Then Three Houses, for whatever reason gets delayed to Autumn, but Edelgard would likely release on the original intended date anyway.

The good thing about Sylux is that it's an already established character who doesn't necessarily need Prime 4 as a tie in, compared to candidates like the aforementioned Edelgard. Sylux could be rearranged to be based on Hunters and it really wouldn't be much different in the end.

They're not gonna scrap an entire character just because of a missed tie in anyway.
Not to mention if Erdrick really is one of the DLC characters, he too suffers from a tie-in game being delayed since DQ XI had delays if I remember correctly so it's not like Sylux would be unique even in this DLC cycle then.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My condolences, guys. The goalpost's been moved again...

More importantly, what will they even show at E3 now?

First Bloodstained, now this. At this point it's best for new dev teams to take on projects that are actually small first.

Also, the requisite quote about "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad".

Yeah, I severely doubt they'd scrap him, since stuff from the project plan seldom got cut in this case anyways. Who cares if his promotion spoils his involvement in 4.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I can say this with almost certainty though; if Sylux is one of the DLC fighters despite everything, his accompanying stage (with the minuscule chance of a boss fight for Classic Mode) will likely be based on something from Hunters.

I say Vesper Defense Outpost would be a good choice for a stage. The other hunters show up in the background fighting each other (non-hazard cameos, think something like the Castlevania monsters in Dracula's Castle stage) while the smashers are smashing each other in the foreground.

As for a potential boss, Gorea if they stuck exclusively to Hunters content.
Well actually... they still kinda could? After all Yoshi's Wooly World got content in Smash 4 a year or so before it released and Crafted also has content in the game and is not out yet.

Though the difference is Prime 4 got scrapped and is being built up from the start again while those were still planned to release. Though I do doubt we'll get Prime 4 content nonetheless maybe besides the full version of the E3 reveal even if even the whole soundtrack got scrapped as well (which I would say would be a shame since there probably was a good chunk of awesome music that will never be publicly heard) seeming as Federation Force and Hunters have the least amount of tracks in the Metroid soundtrack it does make sense for more music from those games to appear now.

I say that as much as I'd find a Metroid stage with an original Kingdom Hearts world name attached to it hilarious

"The world that could've been."

Nonetheless as I've been saying, I wanted thirteen long years for Kingdom Hearts 3, I can wait as much as I need to for Prime 4.

"A delayed game is eventually good., but a rushed game is forever bad"- Shigeru Miyamoto.

For those thinking about E3... they may not have a singular focus this year (which I'd honestly like to see) but there's always Pokémon Generation 8 as that's a big title and crap... still thinking though that may be early 2019 (Because I legit have not found a single source besides estimation release dates on websites that say 2018 release for it) as it was shown earlier in development than Prime 4 at the time but oh well... I mean that or the new IP Retro has been working on, though that may or may not have been scrapped due to this now.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Something else to think on is that, if the development of Prime 4 prior to this news was as...difficult as we have been told? That might have discouraged anyone from the game to begin with.

Shame, but the Retro Hype will be real later on. Even if a lot of the staff from Retro left to make Armature Studios.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Something else to think on is that, if the development of Prime 4 prior to this news was as...difficult as we have been told? That might have discouraged anyone from the game to begin with.

Shame, but the Retro Hype will be real later on. Even if a lot of the staff from Retro left to make Armature Studios.
That's honestly kind of conflicting as we were also told near the end of December development was going great and was on track. I feel like it was something so bad of a monthly check in on development that they pulled the plug. Cause it did very well seem like something that happened today or very recently.

Well that settles it sylux out of the running unfortunately
As previously discussed, it really doesn't. If he was chosen during the time of DLC was actually being picked Sakurai's philosophy on adding characters would save him, if they're picked for the game they're getting in regardless of circumstances (besides third party legal issues I guess). As also said, Sylux still is a popular character within the Metroid community where he doesn't exactly need Prime 4, if he gets into Smash he'll still get popularity and build up hype for Prime 4 regardless. Since like... how many people actually knew Lucas when Brawl came out? Lucas' (and Mother's growing) popularity was thanks to him getting into Smash even though his game was locked off from everywhere but Japan. Also sure they're retro characters but who knew the Ice Climbers before Melee? They're absence in Smash 4 was big enough for people to start wanting a reboot of their series in the case they were forever gone from smash. Point is: it doesn't matter if you're not well known or your game has some restrictions, you can still get in. Plus Prime 4 is still coming out, basically just delayed an extra two or three years (probably 2022-2023, maybe 2024). Plus Sylux as a "promotional" character is still unique in circumstances as he is a pre-established character with a past, he isn't an entirely new character made for Prime 4 so he can't appear, and even if that was the case I still doubt that'd matter as even in Japan Roy's game wasn't out until after Melee was already released into the public. Then again, sure Roy's game was just delayed and not reset, and I'm quite sure if Fates' development was reset before it released in Japan Corrin wouldn't have been put into Smash 4... but as I've said what makes this different from this potential Corrin situation I proposed is that Sylux still appeared in previous games and has a past while Corrin's debut was Fates and nothing else. Plus if you ask me it makes sense even more (even if this wasn't foreseen to happen st the time) to sprinkle Metroid content throughout the years till Prime 4 comes out to keep people on the hype train and interested, hell people ade already saying we are going to get a Prime Trilogy collection on the switch to help with that, perhaps even a Metroid Prime Series Collection.

Point is: Sylux isn't out of the running for this at all.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, there's also the fact that he conspicuously isn't among the list of Metroid spirits. In regards to series spirits absences, his is the biggest since he is a fan-favorite amongst the Metroid fanbase. While the spirit list was done by a division separate from the main Ultimate staff, Sylux's case may be a deliberate choice, so I'm not sure anyone could readily write this off as an oversight.

That said, I sure hope at least one of the next characters will prove the "they don't necessarily need to promote anything" theory.

Edit: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...y_for_nintendo_switch_is_ready_to_be_released

Oh boy, here we go again.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
People also need to remember that there's still the possibility of Nintendo working on secret Metroid projects that could come out this year. Sylux, if he's a DLC pick, obviously can't promote MP4 anymore, but he could still promote, purely as a hypothetical example, Metroid Prime Trilogy, even if he don't make a physical appearance in these three games (unless you want to count the secret ending in Corruption).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
They give us a Switch port of Metroid Prime trilogy, pretty lame. If there is another one or we're getting a different one instead of Metroid Prime trilogy Switch port, that should be a Golden Sun trilogy.
Well, some people including myself would like to see the Metroid Prime trilogy get ported to the Switch. I never finished Metroid Prime and I never played Echos and Corruption so it would be like new games for me. It would be nice to play these games on the Switch.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'd probably get a Switch version of the Trilogy despite already having the physical Wii version since I love those games very much... but I do hope they at least do something to put it above the latter.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
They give us a Switch port of Metroid Prime trilogy, pretty lame. If there is another one or we're getting a different one instead of Metroid Prime trilogy Switch port, that should be a Golden Sun trilogy.
Speak for yourself man, portable Metroid Prime is a dream come true for me. I wish they'd put an enhanced version of Hunters on it though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd go for a Switch port of the trilogy, mainly because I missed out on the Wii one back in the day. And like Retro above, I didn't get to finish MP1 (it was a rental) and never played the other two.

Edit: Okay, so the possibility of Sylux being added as a DLC boss has been brought up in a different thread. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't think Sylux is 100% out but this isn't exactly good for his chances.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
It's definitely not looking good, I'll say that. Though, I do wonder what exactly "scrapped" means. Did they not like things like the gameplay, engine, atmosphere, etc. but liked the overall story? Because if that's the case I think Sylux is still hanging in there. If they're going in a different direction with the story, that might be it for him. Time will tell, but if anything I'd hope for a Season 2/3 Fighter Pass entry (depending how many there are).

Top Bottom