• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Enemy Of The Federation - Sylux for Smash Ultimate (DLC)

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I dont think we have enough info to even speculate about sylux... and IMO it all depends to MP4
If Sylux is in as a important piece opf the game, so be it as mechanichs or story, and MP4 is releasing next year, we may see him as DLC.

If is only a incidental character and maybe a cool boss fight like say... rundas, then probably no.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I dont think we have enough info to even speculate about sylux... and IMO it all depends to MP4
If Sylux is in as a important piece opf the game, so be it as mechanichs or story, and MP4 is releasing next year, we may see him as DLC.

If is only a incidental character and maybe a cool boss fight like say... rundas, then probably no.
Tell that to Corrin

Sylux as far as I know could potential be the Corrin of smash ultimate

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Tell that to Corrin

Sylux as far as I know could potential be the Corrin of smash ultimate
uh? haven't played fates, but as far as I know Corrin is kinda... central to both gameplay and storyline? like... being the main character and stuff?

right now we know 0 about what tehy hell will sylux do on MP4, thats why i say we don't have enough info, he may be a easter egg, a mid boss fight, the final boss fight/main antagonist (like dark samus in MP2) or even a constant game mechanic(like say Midna in twillight princess) but we don't know.

Is true that sylux may be used as promotional DLC if Metroid prime 4 release during the smash DLC timeframe (likely) but we first need to know if he really represents the game, or is just another part of that game.

Again, we know nothing.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
uh? haven't played fates, but as far as I know Corrin is kinda... central to both gameplay and storyline? like... being the main character and stuff?

right now we know 0 about what tehy hell will sylux do on MP4, thats why i say we don't have enough info, he may be a easter egg, a mid boss fight, the final boss fight/main antagonist (like dark samus in MP2) or even a constant game mechanic(like say Midna in twillight princess) but we don't know.

Is true that sylux may be used as promotional DLC if Metroid prime 4 release during the smash DLC timeframe (likely) but we first need to know if he really represents the game, or is just another part of that game.

Again, we know nothing.
Well if we go off of what the Metroid Prime's producer has stated in the past, he did say a planned storyline for a potential Metroid Prime 4 would focus on Sylux and Samus. It's possible that could've changed since we're going off past quotes, but nonetheless it's interesting that they've talked about him becoming important and now Sylux is missing as a spirit.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Sylux being important in Prime 4 seems likely. They've teased at Sylux in Prime 3's 100% ending and Federation Force. I'd be surprised if Sylux was completely absent from Prime 4.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I just seriously hope Nintendo brings Metroid Prime 4 to the Game Awards this year so we can confirm if Sylux is going to be a main part of the game or not. Not to mention I want to see what it looks like. A Metroid Prime game in HD must look incredible! If Reggie doesn't bring Prime 4 at LEAST bring Bayo 3.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Sylux being important in Prime 4 seems likely. They've teased at Sylux in Prime 3's 100% ending and Federation Force. I'd be surprised if Sylux was completely absent from Prime 4.
I'm of the mind that Sylux was the reason Samus ended up captured by the Space Pirates in Federation Force. After all, the last thing we saw him do in the game immediately preceding that one was pursue Samus in his ship. As such, Prime 4 will likely start with Samus wanting to hunt him down in retribution, with the Federation just so happening to have a request for her to do just that, on account of his Metroid theft.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I understand the skepticism related to knowing little, but when you take Corruption's 100% ending into account (and later Fed Force's secret ending), the idea of Sylux making a return in some major form has effectively floated around for over a decade, and the (slow) process of reintroducing it was pretty much kickstarted after the interview with Tanabe in 2015 following Fed Force's announcement. Barring some freak accident it's very unlikely that this ultimately doesn't translate into Sylux becoming a major antagonist in Prime 4, which if you recall, was the theme Tanabe wanted the next Prime game to have.

"[Sylux is] actually chasing after Samus, and that’s where [Corruption] ends. There’s still more I want to build around the story of Sylux and Samus. There’s something going on between them. I want to make a game that touches upon [it]."

That isn't the kind of thing one would say if intending to bring a character back for a side role or easter egg,

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
His cameo at the end of Federation Force sealed the deal for me. This is a character that the director of MP4 is interested in, and it's a character that has been recently brought back to the forefront of the franchise. It's not really a question of whether he'll have a role in MP4, but whether it'll be big enough for Nintendo to want to put him in Smash Bros. And on that front, his spirit being omitted while Trace and Kanden have them is insanely suspicious.

Last edited:

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Sylux
Porky
Missing a Spirit and speculating DLC
(This was supposed to be with emojis to represent that one bro handshake meme but emojis don’t show up. I’d just make the actual meme image but it’s 1:00 am and I’m too tired to make it right now)

For real, what a weird turn the DLC speculation turned into. I welcome it though, not the most demanded characters, but fun interesting choices regardless.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Honestly, Sylux at the very least will have a major role in Prime 4 or obtain yet another end credits sequence to start up another Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Alongside many, many facts that were brought up, Sylux's inclusion is quite likely at this point in time unless that day one patch comes true and brings in some stuff we didn't datamine in the base game yet.

Nonetheless, mini-bosses/stage bosses aren't present in classic mode unless you play in their stage during a run and they're never the end boss or anything (as much as Shulk vs Metal Face makes sense) so I'd say that's unlikely as there is no stage in the game Sylux or Porky are stage bosses for.

So... only way their "chances may decrease" is if that supposed day one patch brings in new spirits and they're one of them, but again I doubt that.

As of now things are looking up, Sylux has a promotional character would probably be viewed better than Corrin as he's been a pre-established character for many years now, that and at least 2/3 games he's appeared in so ny have been loved by fans almost universally when in comparison to fates who... I'm quite sure the FE fandom is split on or leans towards hate.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, Sylux at the very least will have a major role in Prime 4 or obtain yet another end credits sequence to start up another Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Alongside many, many facts that were brought up, Sylux's inclusion is quite likely at this point in time unless that day one patch comes true and brings in some stuff we didn't datamine in the base game yet.

Nonetheless, mini-bosses/stage bosses aren't present in classic mode unless you play in their stage during a run and they're never the end boss or anything (as much as Shulk vs Metal Face makes sense) so I'd say that's unlikely as there is no stage in the game Sylux or Porky are stage bosses for.

So... only way their "chances may decrease" is if that supposed day one patch brings in new spirits and they're one of them, but again I doubt that.

As of now things are looking up, Sylux has a promotional character would probably be viewed better than Corrin as he's been a pre-established character for many years now, that and at least 2/3 games he's appeared in so ny have been loved by fans almost universally when in comparison to fates who... I'm quite sure the FE fandom is split on or leans towards hate.
What’s this thought that spirits are being added in a day 1 patch? With all of the spirits already in there and just how many bosses and stuff are already being spoiled, it seems like the game is complete right now, why would they save a couple spirits until the game launches?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
His cameo at the end of Federation Force sealed the deal for me. This is a character that the director of MP4 is interested in, and it's a character that has been recently brought back to the forefront of the franchise. It's not really a question of whether he'll have a role in MP4, but whether it'll be big enough for Nintendo to want to put him in Smash Bros. And on that front, his spirit being omitted while Trace and Kanden have them is insanely suspicious.
I think the only possible reason a spirit like him would be held back is that they have caught wind of some new render or redesign for Sylux in 4, and don't want to spoil it just yet.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Speaking of new renders and redesigns...

The thread neatly summarizes some of the points raised in here already. Sylux isn’t a Spirit, Plant has no Spirit yet and is DLC, etc. But the fact Nightmare has a Spirit noticeably distinct from it’s official artwork raises a lot of questions. If coincidences lined up perfectly for us, that could translate to Prime 4 featuring the boss and make this an early bird reveal, which in turn makes the idea of Sylux DLC as an early bird cameo (see: Corrin) much more plausible.

It’s almost too good to be true.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
That's a good looking Nightmare. Also, Nightmare showing up in Metroid Prime 4 would make perfect sense since it's created by the Galactic Federation, the same Federation that Sylux has a beef with.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Interesting... Nightmare has a new design alongside new art... would make sense too seeming as Sylux is a master of stealth and hacking as seen with Federation Force and well... he's stolen from them three times before I wouldn't put it out of question for him to steal a ton more of their weapons and gears, including things like Nightmare there, though I also assume we will run into Space Pirate forces as well, perhaps even have a boss fight with Weavel? I believe people have been wanting a game where they fight the federation after Fusion for some time now and well... I guess they may kinda have that dream come true if Sylux stole a lot of their stuff, new and old.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
While Sylux had a mere cameo at the end of Corruption (well at least his ship did) I gotta say, I'm starting to think Retro Studios is working on a Metroid Prime Trilogy remaster. I mean Wind Waker HD style. Everything remodeled/retextured from the ground up. I think that's the reason why we haven't heard from them in awhile because they are remaking 3 games in 1 to prepare for the 4th entry. In fact I think that's the reason why they weren't put on 4 so they could make a from the ground up remaster of the Trilogy (not to mention most of Retro's staff that worked on the Prime games moved on so it's probably easier to do a remake than a full brand new game).

Eldrake

Smash Lord
While Sylux had a mere cameo at the end of Corruption (well at least his ship did) I gotta say, I'm starting to think Retro Studios is working on a Metroid Prime Trilogy remaster. I mean Wind Waker HD style. Everything remodeled/retextured from the ground up. I think that's the reason why we haven't heard from them in awhile because they are remaking 3 games in 1 to prepare for the 4th entry. In fact I think that's the reason why they weren't put on 4 so they could make a from the ground up remaster of the Trilogy (not to mention most of Retro's staff that worked on the Prime games moved on so it's probably easier to do a remake than a full brand new game).
With Prime 4 coming (and likely not part of the trilogy story) I wonder if they're gonna give the first Metroid Prime Trilogy an official Trilogy Name like, as an example, the Phazon Trilogy. Then Prime 4 can be part of, let's say, the Sylux Trilogy or Hunter Trilogy, whichever fits the second Prime Trilogy best. Metroid Prime: Phazon Trilogy has a nice ring to it.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
With Prime 4 coming (and likely not part of the trilogy story) I wonder if they're gonna give the first Metroid Prime Trilogy an official Trilogy Name like, as an example, the Phazon Trilogy. Then Prime 4 can be part of, let's say, the Sylux Trilogy or Hunter Trilogy, whichever fits the second Prime Trilogy best. Metroid Prime: Phazon Trilogy has a nice ring to it.
i have 0 clue what the MP4 story would be, or if there may be a Mp5 or 6, but i know i actually want some post fusion metroid games. Obviously there is a challenge writing those games since Samus becomes part metroid but i have teh secret desire of a Metroid game developed by From software with some serious exploration and level design, that focus on teh themes of isolation and humanity (considering post fusion samus, may be an interesting theme) and certainly feels like something that From software may enjoy developing.

(obviously it would have a way less colorful atmosphere than fusion)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
i have 0 clue what the MP4 story would be, or if there may be a Mp5 or 6, but i know i actually want some post fusion metroid games. Obviously there is a challenge writing those games since Samus becomes part metroid but i have teh secret desire of a Metroid game developed by From software with some serious exploration and level design, that focus on teh themes of isolation and humanity (considering post fusion samus, may be an interesting theme) and certainly feels like something that From software may enjoy developing.

(obviously it would have a way less colorful atmosphere than fusion)
I get the impression that people are hesitant to follow up on Sakamoto's work (although Other M's quality should dispel those feelings).

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I always liked the fan theory that Sylux is Samus' brother. If that were to be the case, and he was a major character or antagonist through a second Metroid Prime trilogy, I think almost everyone would be happy about his inclusion.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Out of the missing spirits, Sylux seems the most suspicious to me. He would be a perfect promotional addition due to Prime 4, he had a trophy in Smash Wii U, and he has nothing while lesser hunters have spirits.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
You know one thing I just thought about, everyone assumes Sylux will be an antagonist for the next game but what if he ends up as more of an anti-hero? There are several games where you control someone who fights similar to the main hero but explores a "darker" route. And all we know is that he hates Samus, but how many times in media does the anti-hero hate the hero before they find out it was a misunderstanding or they were manipulated or something.

Probably not but would be interesting at least.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You know one thing I just thought about, everyone assumes Sylux will be an antagonist for the next game but what if he ends up as more of an anti-hero? There are several games where you control someone who fights similar to the main hero but explores a "darker" route. And all we know is that he hates Samus, but how many times in media does the anti-hero hate the hero before they find out it was a misunderstanding or they were manipulated or something.

Probably not but would be interesting at least.
He hates the Federation too. That may have it's bad eggs but it hardly justifies his actions.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Could be the game (MP4) takes place Post-Fusions?

Now, I'm just spitballing here...but imagine that the Federation, having just lost a massive project at the hands of Samus Aran, decides to try and hunt her down. We end up with a more antagonistic Federation (I mean- there were experimenting with Metroids and looking to weaponize the SA-X, after all.) Could be she ends up having to work with Sylux, whose equally upset with the notion.

Who knows? I mean- kill off Sylux early on as a bad guy and that's wasted potential. If we're building up their relationship more, a simple bad guy role would be a bit counter-intuitive.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I doubt they would tease Sylux in MP3 and FF just to kill him off early or otherwise make him a minor character. He's most likely a major character in MP4, whether it's as an antagonist or otherwise.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
We kill Ridley in every game and it doesn't stop him frm being a major antagonist for most of the series.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Well, ignoring the hyperbole (as Ridley has not, in fact, appeared in every game)? In the games Ridley has appeared in, we have only truly killed him once. Fought him? Yes. Defeated him? Yes. But:

(This list is in the generally agreed on canonical order)

- Metroid/Zero Mission: Defeated...also, remember Ridley's original appearance? Yeah...I didn't. Also you fight Robo-Ridley, which is not Meta-Ridley...so that doesn't count either.
- Metroid Prime/Pinball: Not killed, just defeated. Also now a cyborg. Possible that he was killed in Metroid and then brought back with science.
- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption: Defeated, then becomes Phazon-Meta Ridley God Phazon-Meta Ridley (AKA Omega Ridley). Then defeated (again). We don't see him dissipate like the other bosses.
- Samus Returns (AKA Metroid ll remake): Now Proteus Ridley. Dunno how he regrew a large chunk of his biomass (Phazon's healing properties?), but at least Samus Returns helps to clarify the fact that Ridley is still somewhat cybernetic.
- Super Metroid: Ridley actually dies. Possibly his transition from Meta/Omega to Proteus helps to explain why he is fully organic in Super Metroid...Remake when?
- Other M: Not actually Ridley; clone.
- Metroid Fusion: Not actually Ridley; X Parasite.

So Ridley's true death count is One...maybe two. (though as to how Ridley can survive repeatedly getting shot in the mouth on multiple occasions? I dunno...Game logic?) Depending on Prime 4's placement and his potential inclusion, it might or might not actually be Ridley.

...Right, talkin' bout Sylux...uuuuuuh...Well...yeeeees...If Prime 4 is the start of a new trilogy, they'll have to stick around for the three games in some capacity or another (Just as Metroid Prime itself did, in the form of Dark Samus.). If Metroid Prime 4 is a one-off? Well...I guess we'll be getting the shorthand version of Sylux and Samus' relationship (but I still like to claim Sylux is actually Anthony Higgs).

Actually, yes...what connection do you all think the two have?

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Well, ignoring the hyperbole (as Ridley has not, in fact, appeared in every game)? In the games Ridley has appeared in, we have only truly killed him once. Fought him? Yes. Defeated him? Yes. But:

(This list is in the generally agreed on canonical order)

- Metroid/Zero Mission: Defeated...also, remember Ridley's original appearance? Yeah...I didn't. Also you fight Robo-Ridley, which is not Meta-Ridley...so that doesn't count either.
- Metroid Prime/Pinball: Not killed, just defeated. Also now a cyborg. Possible that he was killed in Metroid and then brought back with science.
- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption: Defeated, then becomes Phazon-Meta Ridley God Phazon-Meta Ridley (AKA Omega Ridley). Then defeated (again). We don't see him dissipate like the other bosses.
- Samus Returns (AKA Metroid ll remake): Now Proteus Ridley. Dunno how he regrew a large chunk of his biomass (Phazon's healing properties?), but at least Samus Returns helps to clarify the fact that Ridley is still somewhat cybernetic.
- Super Metroid: Ridley actually dies. Possibly his transition from Meta/Omega to Proteus helps to explain why he is fully organic in Super Metroid...Remake when?
- Other M: Not actually Ridley; clone.
- Metroid Fusion: Not actually Ridley; X Parasite.

So Ridley's true death count is One...maybe two. (though as to how Ridley can survive repeatedly getting shot in the mouth on multiple occasions? I dunno...Game logic?) Depending on Prime 4's placement and his potential inclusion, it might or might not actually be Ridley.

...Right, talkin' bout Sylux...uuuuuuh...Well...yeeeees...If Prime 4 is the start of a new trilogy, they'll have to stick around for the three games in some capacity or another (Just as Metroid Prime itself did, in the form of Dark Samus.). If Metroid Prime 4 is a one-off? Well...I guess we'll be getting the shorthand version of Sylux and Samus' relationship (but I still like to claim Sylux is actually Anthony Higgs).

Actually, yes...what connection do you all think the two have?
Personally I'm partial to the Sylux is Samus' brother theory as it has evidence surrounding it despite Solomon being mentioned in just a game manual. Which uh... if that is the case it doesn't mean Sylux has to be killed at all actually... it could just start an redemption arc of sorts.

Personally however I am in the boat that due to the fact Other M initially shot Prime 1-3 out of the canon, I do believe every aspect of Othee M was shot out by Federation Force and the reintegration of Prime 1-3, even if Neo Ridley makes more sense with Other M they can just put a whole new story in its place unless Nintendo comes out and says "Okay, these aspects of Other M have changed or been rectconned." Though to answer your question on Ridley generating skin, it's because I believe one of his abilities is to regenerate by ingesting other life forms like humans and animals.

Though I will say I don't think Sylux being killed would be an issue either, as you all know until that interview the ship at the end of Prime 3 could've been a brand new character, but now it's Sylux and the ship descrpency doesn't matter due to how much Samus' gunship changes. Either way though past descprencies and present information: Sylux survived being impaled through the (heart or chest, don't remember) by Gorea which is basically almost like a god or just something really powerful and being tossed away. I don't know about you guys but due to the fact Sylux's ability is self generation through electricity I don't think he'll die that easily, especially due to the fact as I stated he survived being stabbed through the heart/chest.

If they do go with a redemption sort of storyline I think it'd be cool for Samus to finally get some sort of long-term partnership, even if he may eventually die later in the timeline due to his absence in Metroid games that take place in the future (that is unless of course Prime 4 somehow takes place after Fusion which then it'd be easily explainable he's just been in hiding). If they don't, I can see him being killed off after appearing in more games with an important role or he's just locked up indefinitely in Federation prison. Though I'll also say if Sylux gets /really/ popular, he may at some point get his own game to scratch an itch of some Metroid fans of how Samus deals with the space pirates but instead it's Sylux against the Federation to get people to get that game where the Federation is the main antagonistic force but... last time someone else was playable this wasn't Samus... didn't bode well with the fans but I mostly throw that up to after 10 years we get a new Metroid game after Other M and...we don't even play as Samus.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
We can only dream for such an announcement.

But, on the nature of the Gorea scene, Gorea is stated to leave its targets dead or comatose (or, in the case of the other hunters, briefly unconscious due to Samus' intervention) when it drains their energy and steals their weapons data to become even stronger. In this regard, I always considered that scene as not being direct impalement but life absorbtion (such as how Metroids can drain life through your Power Suit in the Metroid games without actually breaking through it). Either way, Sylux's suit gives them solid durability.

---------
Going back to my Anthony Higgs joke-headcanon, it mostly comes down to a few things:

- Sylux is assumed human.
- Sylux, based on a Tanabe interview, is male. (though that might be a translation thing...I don't speak japanese so I can't say for certain.)
- Sylux is likely someone Samus knows and has interacted with in some way.
- Sylux has a knack for infiltrating top-secret Federation Facilities without (presumably) being detected.

Assuming that Sylux is, indeed, all of these things...we don't have many canon characters. People like Captain Dare, Chief Hardy, and Solomon Aran are all non-canon (coming from comics that are not a part of the main continuity), so their usage, while possible, is not something known to us. Of the canon and notable named human males that we know of, we have:

- Adam Malkovich
- Ian Malkovich
- Anthony Higgs
- Lyle Smithsonian
- Maurice Favreau
- James Pierce, AKA the Deleter
- K.G. Misawa
- The Colonel
- Fleet Admiral Castor Dane

Of these listed, all but three of them (Anthony Higgs, The Colonel, and Fleet Admiral Castor Dane) are dead. Of these three, The Colonel is not a fighter but a manipulator; he was the one who sent the Deleter to prevent information about the mission and its connection to the Federation from spreading...which helps to remind us that the Federation are not inherently 'The Good Guys'. The other are in good standing with both Samus and the Federation (Higgs and Dane)...and considering the 100% ending of Corruptions, Dane would have to be real fast in suiting up, sneaking away, and jumping into a stolen gunship in order to chase Samus down. Higgs, as stated prior, also makes no sense...unless Sylux was actually a Deleter-type character doing dirty deeds for the Federation with 'Stolen' gear. Jobs that they couldn't do publicly without ruining their reputation. Even then, however, Anthony Higgs is a good man...would he really accept these types of missions?

All of this said, Sylux, like Higgs (known as the MBD when first revealed...remember that?), could be a new character with a background explored upon throughout the three games. Even if Sylux is a new character, the idea of them being a secret agent of the Federation is as interesting as a hunter who just really hates them...even more so, in some situations. The Federation sent Samus to the Alimbic Cluster to make sure no one could get this mysterious power...but what if Sylux was sent there by another party in the Federation to secure it while Samus was distracted? A tantalizing theory, but a theory nonetheless.

Though it also, again, depends on Prime 4's placement; nothing has happened post Metroid Fusions...and the idea of a post-Fusions game (I dunno... Metroid Prime: Hunted?) is an interesting one, but it'll likely take place before Super Metroid so we can have more Ridley I warrant.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Heya. I don’t think I’ve posted here before, but I’d be all for Sylux as a DLC newcomer. He’d be so hype-inducing considering MP4 is on the horizon, and you can’t go wrong with more Metroid characters. :p

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'm confident on the VGA, though keeping my expectations low.

Though I'll also say if Sylux gets /really/ popular, he may at some point get his own game to scratch an itch of some Metroid fans of how Samus deals with the space pirates but instead it's Sylux against the Federation to get people to get that game where the Federation is the main antagonistic force but... last time someone else was playable this wasn't Samus... didn't bode well with the fans but I mostly throw that up to after 10 years we get a new Metroid game after Other M and...we don't even play as Samus.
Yeah, how Federation Force was marketed before release was a complete disaster. Coming out with an even more radical shift on the look and design of a Metroid game to follow up Other M's reception years later was a terrible mistake, and didn't help either that Nintendo kept trying to silence feedback on the game by disabling like/dislike bars and comments for FF footage. They should've had a teaser announcement for Samus Returns ready to go back in E3 2015 (coinciding with FF's reveal) like they did with MP4 in 2017. People will have kinder reception to spinoffs and be happier to try them out under different circumstances, like knowing with certainty the next main game or two is on the horizon in the case of Metroid.

I remember when the idea of the other hunters getting their own games was on the table, though it never happened. Still not sure how I'd feel about it as a whole even if it was only a Sylux game, but would still be far more interesting conceptually than FF.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm confident on the VGA, though keeping my expectations low.

Yeah, how Federation Force was marketed before release was a complete disaster. Coming out with an even more radical shift on the look and design of a Metroid game to follow up Other M's reception years later was a terrible mistake, and didn't help either that Nintendo kept trying to silence feedback on the game by disabling like/dislike bars and comments for FF footage. They should've had a teaser announcement for Samus Returns ready to go back in E3 2015 (coinciding with FF's reveal) like they did with MP4 in 2017. People will have kinder reception to spinoffs and be happier to try them out under different circumstances, like knowing with certainty the next main game or two is on the horizon in the case of Metroid.

I remember when the idea of the other hunters getting their own games was on the table, though it never happened. Still not sure how I'd feel about it as a whole even if it was only a Sylux game, but would still be far more interesting conceptually than FF.
That would have been nice to have, I'm left wondering if the Kriken empire will be delved into at all. As it is, Sylux is lucky to be considered as a returning character.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That would have been nice to have, I'm left wondering if the Kriken empire will be delved into at all. As it is, Sylux is lucky to be considered as a returning character.
Metroid Prime in general is good at getting you to realize the true vastness of the universe. What we experience as Samus, as epic as it seems, is still just a tiny part of the whole thing. AU 242 even says as much in the Corruption credits.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
I feel bad for Federation Force. As a concept, it's not bad; being able to step into the shoes of someone who isn't Samus and expanding the Metroid Universe? Yes. I want that...but then you look at all the things going against it:

- Feels like a DS project that was carried over to the 3DS.
- Nearly ten years since Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. (This is important)
- Four years after Other: M (This is very important).
- Other: M was failed potential (and the only good thing we got out of it was Anthony Higgs memes)
- Failing to really capture the feel of a quality "Metroid Game" (Well-designed levels, exploration provides rewards, emphasis on environmental storytelling, breaking the game via exploits...You know, the classics.)
- Not made by NST (the makers of Prime: Hunters), and therefore the inferior spin-off.

Really, they should have scrapped the project...but playing as a Federation Maraine in a Prime-Style game? Hopefully Federation Force's inevitable failure doesn't keep that from ever happening.
---------

Also here, take this. Reggie hinting at something 'special' for the VGA.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Sylux's absence + the presence of lesser hunters appearing as spirits is certainly suspect. I think "spirits deconfirm" is "Ness deconfirmed" levels of digging-too-deep nonsense but I can't help but feel that this omission in particular was deliberate.

I know he had no trophy in Sm4sh, but that game came out before even Federation Force was announced, which was the game that basically cemented his status as an important character.

Count me in, I love Metroid and having some more vicious, serious villains is very enticing. This is the only potential promo character that interests me. A character that utilizes tripwires? You have my full attention.

Top Bottom