• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Enemy Of The Federation - Sylux for Smash Ultimate (DLC)

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
maybe unpopular opinion, specially here, but i think that Sylux would be decent Echo Fighter, not only that, but the fact that it could work as an echo fighter is the main reason why i think he have (albeit small) chance.

The irony is that while lots of people clamour DarkSamus for Samus Echo, Imo it wouldnt work at all, Samus and dark samus are 2 entities way too different, both biologically, and regarding stuff they do, and how they move. (how would darksamus use down b? turn into a morphball and drop a bomb?)

I don't doubt an original moveset could be made for sylux the same way a completely original moveset could be done for Daisy, but since the resources are limited, and lets face it, Sylux isn't exactly on teh priority list or in the super popular podium, i don't think he will be considered for a full fledged character.

But if you think about it guy even have its own version of the morphball... just.. ask yourself, how many characters in an armor with a hand cannon could do a morphball? not even dark samus.

the ideal would be a darkpit scenario where the character is the same expect for one or 2 different special moves. switch charge beam for shock coil, a kind of "electric flamethrower" and down b bombs for a slower longer lasting bomb that can be put in more quantities (and even put a tripwire between them).

I dont doubt that the guy have the potential to be unique.. but i think you guys should consider his similarities with samus not as a burden, but as a boon.
Dark Samus actually does have a morph ball form. She uses it in her second fight in Echoes.
Dark_Samus_Morph_Ball.png

Anyway, noone really deserves to be an echo, but characters like Dark Samus don't have enough of a following to get in the base roster of a fanservice game like Smash Ultimate. Echoes are quicker to develop and we're simply speculating that's her best chance.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I don't really think Sylux deserves to be an echo, he's too different from Samus in my opinion to do that, especially from the fact the way his bombs work very much differently from Samus' and he shoots short sniper shots and electricity than large canon shots like Samus.

That and I will say... the lack of canon material to make movesets have never been an issue for anyone in Smash, prime examples of these are Captain Falcon and Fox, both of whom were never seen outside of their vehicles before Smash 64 and most of their moveset is completely made up, the same goes for Falco I suppose. Samus herself mostly has made up stuff besides very few moves, the obvious ones though being her specials.

So in the end I think Sylux shouldn't be an Echo Fighter at all, neither should Dark Samus if I am to be honest, but if we were to get a Metroid echo fighter, Dark Samus is the better choice.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
This thread's inactivity is a little striking coming from the K. Rool thread.

Anyway, I think Sylux definitely has a chance of making it in as DLC. He'd be great promtion for Prime 4, another villain, and a unique character who could rival Samus' versatility. He'll have some competition, but I think if we can voice our support effectively, he could make it.
Truly, there's not much to discuss about this (still niche, still somewhat obscure) character (yet) in the absence of more Smash and Prime 4 information without going in circles. And Smashboards is not my main place to visit these days anyway.

Still, appreciate the bump.

maybe unpopular opinion, specially here, but i think that Sylux would be decent Echo Fighter, not only that, but the fact that it could work as an echo fighter is the main reason why i think he have (albeit small) chance.

(snip)
Maybe a remote chance exists that there's some sort of leeway to Echo Fighters that we're not aware of yet, but based on what we've seen regarding them, I doubt that two moves could be changed for the character and still have the EF classification. Dark Pit's changes are more aesthetic than anything else, since even the changed bow and different punching arm thing are still mechanically similar to Pit's own versions of those moves; not really comparable to swapping the Power Beam (a charging projectile weapon) for the Shock Coil (a life stealing, close range homing weapon) and the Morph Ball Bombs (timed explosives) for Lockjaw nodes (tripwire connectors that even in Hunters do no damage to opponents individually).

Mind you, I would wholeheartedly accept Sylux as an Echo Fighter at the expense of uniqueness (and your idea is likewise something I'd take), but I don't see this specific scenario happening myself.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
So, we have Dark Samus as an Echo Fighter of Samus and Ridley, meaning we have four Metroid Reps playable... I only fear this either lowered Sylux's chances due to the demand of a new Metroid rep being at an all time low or just increased his chances to get in as DLC because of Prime 4 and that he won't be an echo because of Dark Samus (then again Marth now has two echo fighters, so...). I still have hope our electric hunter will make the cut, its just a confusioing morale right now.

Even then, will people start judging us and hating us for wanting another Metroid rep when we now have four? I mean Sylux is pretty much the last major character that could actually work... the rest being one-offs with varying popularity.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
So, we have Dark Samus as an Echo Fighter of Samus and Ridley, meaning we have four Metroid Reps playable... I only fear this either lowered Sylux's chances due to the demand of a new Metroid rep being at an all time low or just increased his chances to get in as DLC because of Prime 4 and that he won't be an echo because of Dark Samus (then again Marth now has two echo fighters, so...). I still have hope our electric hunter will make the cut, its just a confusioing morale right now.

Even then, will people start judging us and hating us for wanting another Metroid rep when we now have four? I mean Sylux is pretty much the last major character that could actually work... the rest being one-offs with varying popularity.
Remember though that echoes aren't proper characters, we really only have 3. This would be the exact same thing with fire emblem. The game releases with 4 characters, 2 veterans, a newcomer and an echo, and then with DLC more are added. It all just depends on when prime 4 releases tbh.

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
I really don't think we'll get Sylux in the base game since I heard the roster was finalized in 2015 and all we have for his character concept is from an old DS game, but I feel like Nintendo really wants Prime 4 to do well so they'll promote it with Sylux as DLC. This will be better for us since he'll be a lot more fleshed out in Prime 4, be it his appearance or just his move set. I'm really happy with what we got today. Dark Samus as an Echo was the most I expected from her, but I did not expect Brinstar Depths to return.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I really don't think we'll get Sylux in the base game since I heard the roster was finalized in 2015 and all we have for his character concept is from an old DS game, but I feel like Nintendo really wants Prime 4 to do well so they'll promote it with Sylux as DLC. This will be better for us since he'll be a lot more fleshed out in Prime 4, be it his appearance or just his move set. I'm really happy with what we got today. Dark Samus as an Echo was the most I expected from her, but I did not expect Brinstar Depths to return.
Yeah, it all just depends on when prime 4 releases and how long DLC lasts for, if Prime 4 comes out holiday next year they could release him around spring/summer maybe which would be good

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Remember though that echoes aren't proper characters, we really only have 3. This would be the exact same thing with fire emblem. The game releases with 4 characters, 2 veterans, a newcomer and an echo, and then with DLC more are added. It all just depends on when prime 4 releases tbh.
Well no, we have Daisy, Lucina, Dark Pit, Dark Samus, Chrom, and Ritcher. That's six echo fighters. But I guess you're right. Sylux will probably be that promotion DLC. So, let's rejoice in getting more Metroid Characters as we all work together to show Sakurai Sylux deserves to be in smash!

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Well no, we have Daisy, Lucina, Dark Pit, Dark Samus, Chrom, and Ritcher. That's six echo fighters. But I guess you're right. Sylux will probably be that promotion DLC. So, let's rejoice in getting more Metroid Characters as we all work together to show Sakurai Sylux deserves to be in smash!
I meant 3 metroid characters, not 3 echoes

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Really, Sylux was always a long shot for the base game as is. And in the long run, five characters (four if you discount the Echo) for a series that only had two for two games straight (and also from a long runner franchise) isn't that unreasonable. Just look at how Fire Emblem got a huge shot in the arm last time.

If nothing else, Sylux is officially without competition in terms of new Metroid characters for future DLC. So we can take solace in that.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I meant 3 metroid characters, not 3 echoes
Oof, my mistake.

Really, Sylux was always a long shot for the base game as is. And in the long run, five characters (four if you discount the Echo) for a series that only had two for two games straight (and also from a long runner franchise) isn't that unreasonable. Just look at how Fire Emblem got a huge shot in the arm last time.

If nothing else, Sylux is officially without competition in terms of new Metroid characters for future DLC. So we can take solace in that.
Yeah, that's a positive coming from this that Sylux no longer has serious competition... Unless we count Kraid whose been getting some traction as of late, but he's a stage hazard again so I don't think he'll be joining Ultimate. The only "competition" I'd say Sylux has is Rundas and the other hunters from Prime Hunters. Though for some reason I have this feeling Rundas will be a assist trophy to replace Dark Samus' slot in that. That and well, the other hunters from Prime Hunters don't really have as big as roles as Sylux, the only one I could see realistically would be Weavel, and that's just because I feel like he has a slight chance to reappear in Prime 4.

Nonetheless, if we get a Metroid DLC character, we know it's 99% gonna be Sylux because of promotion for Prime 4, and there really isn't any other major Metroid characters that could work. I'm just more happy now since Dark Samus took the echo slot, Sylux won't be an echo of Samus if he gets in.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I see good chance for dlc if prime 4 is good and his fan base doesn’t loose their voice

Rundas missed his chance as a fighter in brawl and maybe again in four, he dies in prime three and I’m sure he won’t come back in prime four, talked about yes.

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I support Sylux for Smash! Perhaps as dlc to promote MP4?
Also, should I play the Prime trilogy on GameCube or Wii? Not sure I want to play with the motion controllers.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Prime 3 is actually only on the Wii if I recall, so... you might just have to play with motion control regardless of what you play it on.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The only way I can see Sylux get in Smash at this point is if he is in Prime 4 (which is likely) and he is added as DLC to promote Prime 4.

D

Deleted member 268018

Lol apparently someone else had this idea well before me. Well uh yeah, I think it's pretty likely, given the circumstances.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
We already have Ridley AND Dark Samus for Metroid Newcomers/Villains; Why would we need a 3rd one?!!
a) This thread was created well before those reveals.

b) Don't come into a thread just to bash a character or their chances; it's in poor taste at best.

c) He's been set up as the villain of Metroid Prime 4 on a pretty consistent basis, which makes him a possible option for Smash. (he could still be DLC for this game depending on when Prime 4 releases, or a candidate for the next game; either way, it helps to keep discussion going)

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
a) This thread was created well before those reveals.

b) Don't come into a thread just to bash a character or their chances; it's in poor taste at best.

c) He's been set up as the villain of Metroid Prime 4 on a pretty consistent basis, which makes him a possible option for Smash. (he could still be DLC for this game depending on when Prime 4 releases, or a candidate for the next game; either way, it helps to keep discussion going)
I'm Not Bashing him; I'm just saying it's not likely for him to appear; I Mean, what's the point?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm Not Bashing him; I'm just saying it's not likely for him to appear; I Mean, what's the point?
A lot of characters are unlikely to appear, but if we limited the creation of support threads to only characters who are seen as likely, then this section would be a lot more boring - not to mention that the Smash fandom may be wrong about which characters are likely. (Take Cloud, for example, who was seen as a pipe dream, or Ridley, who would be viewed as unlikely due to Sakurai's previous comments)

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
We already have Ridley AND Dark Samus for Metroid Newcomers/Villains; Why would we need a 3rd one?!!
Because he's about to be a major character in an upcoming game? And he'd be a very unique character? Why do we need 7 fire emblem characters?

Metroid is a series with a lot of emphasis on antagonists too since Samus is normally alone so it makes sense.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sylux is the only Metroid character I really want in at this point. Anyone else would either be gravy or unnecessary (though Mother Brain and the other Hunters in the DS installment also seem neat). It helps that Metroid doesn't have too many elligible characters to begin with.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
We'll have to see how Sylux performs in Prime 4 and if any of the rumors about him are true.

Who knows, he could get Corrin'd into the game for all we know.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Sylux's inclusion as DLC (if we're getting it) most likely will be in a Corrin-esque way, I think it'll be at E3 of next year at the latest, they drop a Prime 4 trailer and maybe a release date and say something along the lines "By the way, if you check the DLC section for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch on the Eshop, you'll be in for a /shocking/ surprise." With Sylux's roar from Prime Hunters being able to be heard in the background after whoever does the direct or presentation finishes that sentence, saying Sylux is DLC and is available to purchase and play as right now. Plus, I'm kind of in the group if we do get DLC, the character will be revealed at least a week or at most a month before they're released, making Sylux some sort of special exception to be announced and released on the same day, but uh... that's just how I'd like it to be.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Sylux's inclusion as DLC (if we're getting it) most likely will be in a Corrin-esque way, I think it'll be at E3 of next year at the latest, they drop a Prime 4 trailer and maybe a release date and say something along the lines "By the way, if you check the DLC section for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch on the Eshop, you'll be in for a /shocking/ surprise." With Sylux's roar from Prime Hunters being able to be heard in the background after whoever does the direct or presentation finishes that sentence, saying Sylux is DLC and is available to purchase and play as right now. Plus, I'm kind of in the group if we do get DLC, the character will be revealed at least a week or at most a month before they're released, making Sylux some sort of special exception to be announced and released on the same day, but uh... that's just how I'd like it to be.
Keep in mind Corrin was revealed about 5 months after fates came out, I feel like a similar scenario would happen with Sylux and Prime 4

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
A lot of characters are unlikely to appear, but if we limited the creation of support threads to only characters who are seen as likely, then this section would be a lot more boring - not to mention that the Smash fandom may be wrong about which characters are likely. (Take Cloud, for example, who was seen as a pipe dream, or Ridley, who would be viewed as unlikely due to Sakurai's previous comments)
You know who I Want that's also Very Unlikely?!?!?!
Here's my List:
A. Isaac from Golden Sun(Golden Sun's most recent game was 8 years ago, and It didn't sell very many units; He Was An Assist trophy in brawl, and wasn't even THAT in SSB4)
B. Geno(Square Enix wouldn't let Sakurai put him in SSBB, which is how Long Masahiro Himself has been Wanting him in Smash; because They Own him, and aren't even willing to let him re-appear in the M&LSS 3DS Remake)
C. Shantae(She's an Indie Character; and even Shovel Knight has even just got in as an Assist Trophy, which btw, Is Still much more than he got in SSB4, Which was Absolutely NOTHING)
D. Cranky Kong(It'd be MUCH Harder for Sakurai to make him; Much harder than Simply putting in Dixie as a Diddy Echo Fighter, or Funky Kong as a Donkey Kong Echo Fighter)
E. Birdo(Would be Extremely controversial to both the US & Japan; due to reopening the old wounds of the Super Mario USA/SMB2 Fiasco again; and It'd be REALLY hard to give her a Final Smash; I Mean Since SSB Ultimate no longer has controllable Final Smashes; It'd be IMPOSSIBLE to Put in Robirdo, her Giant Self-modeled Mech from Super Mario Advance)
F. Linkle from Hyrule Warriors(Only appeared in 1 Game; that had 3 Seperate Incarnations; the Original Wii U Version; Hyrule Warriors Legends for 3ds, and Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition)
G. Ninten(Would be Radically Different from Ness & Lucas; Since He DOESN'T share ANY of their Moves, like most other Echo Fighters do; he wouldn't even have the same Dang Final Smash; Since PK Starstorm wasn't even IN Earthbound Beginnings)

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
E. Birdo(Would be Extremely controversial to both the US & Japan; due to reopening the old wounds of the Super Mario USA/SMB2 Fiasco again; and It'd be REALLY hard to give her a Final Smash; I Mean Since SSB Ultimate no longer has controllable Final Smashes; It'd be IMPOSSIBLE to Put in Robirdo, her Giant Self-modeled Mech from Super Mario Advance)
Uh, what old wounds? Nintendo (both US and Japan) and Smash Bros. makes references to the American SMB2 all the bloody time, why would there be any controversy? And how would using Robirdo as a Final Smash be impossible, it's really easy to think of a way to use it without having to make it controllable.

...Anyhoo, this list of yours has absolutely nothing to do with Sylux (or even Metroid for that matter), what in the goddamn hell goshdarn heck is this doing here?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Honestly, I think modern Japan knows Super Mario Bros USA more these days with the fact it started off as another game being a minor trivia point.

Back to Sylux, I'm wondering if they would do a full on stance system between him and his morph form instead of Samus who only enters it to roll and bomb.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Feels like Sylux could potentially have a Corrin deal as a DLC character, where his inclusion is "Now or never". Unless of course Sylux ends up overwhelmingly popular, but I don't see that happening.

That said, count me in as a supporter. I am satisfied with Ridley and Dark Samus, but I think Sylux would be a nice bonus.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
...Anyhoo, this list of yours has absolutely nothing to do with Sylux (or even Metroid for that matter), what in the goddamn hell goshdarn heck is this doing here?
That user was probably having a stroke when he typed all of that.

Back to Sylux, I'm wondering if they would do a full on stance system between him and his morph form instead of Samus who only enters it to roll and bomb.
That would be a smart way to differentiate him from Samus, although I'm not sure how work-intensive that would be to pull off.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Just because we have Ridley and Dark Samus doesn’t mean I wouldn’t welcome Sylux anymore, though I’d be lying if I said I don’t further question the likelihood of him happening now. Would help at least if MP4 turns out very successful (breaking series records), which being on the Switch, is hard to see it not be.

Even if he wasn’t playable, I could see him being assist trophy at the very least, so either way, he’d have more of a presence now, and being AT wouldn’t be bad form him long term, since with Ridley and Dark Samus included and out of the way now, he’d have virtually no competition for a Metroid newcomer spot in the future. So if he’s not playable from the offset, there’ll be an increase in demand for him from being an AT or something (especially after MP4), like there was for Dark Samus who was previously an AT herself.

I don’t know, but whatever happens, good luck as always. Sylux has waited well over a decade for his character arc, so it’s high time something happened with him already, playable Smash addition or not. Then again, it’s hard for me to think at the moment now who would else be good for Smash Ultimate DLC besides him, so maybe he can still happen there, but not ruling anything out...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don’t know, but whatever happens, good luck as always. Sylux has waited well over a decade for his character arc, so it’s high time something happened with him already, playable Smash addition or not. Then again, it’s hard for me to think at the moment now who would else be good for Smash Ultimate DLC besides him, so maybe he can still happen there, but not ruling anything out...
There are other bounty hunters from Hunters with equally interesting backgrounds and even more interesting biologies.

Such as Weevil, the revived cyborg space pirate, Trace, an emissary from an evil empire, and Kanden, the super soldier lab experiment. They may be B-tier in terms of priority, but are something to consider.

Besides them and Sylux, there's pretty much nothing else than can be considered viable as Metroid additions unless they got creative with Mother Brain.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
There are other bounty hunters from Hunters with equally interesting backgrounds and even more interesting biologies.

Such as Weevil, the revived cyborg space pirate, Trace, an emissary from an evil empire, and Kanden, the super soldier lab experiment. They may be B-tier in terms of priority, but are something to consider.

Besides them and Sylux, there's pretty much nothing else than can be considered viable as Metroid additions unless they got creative with Mother Brain.
That or Rundas... seen him getting some increasing support as well, so Sylux does have some competition I guess, Lightning vs Ice.

As I think I stated here though, I can see Sylux being one of the first three DLC characters if Ultimate gets any, the others being Rex with Pyra/Mythra and either someone from ARMS or Fawful or King Boo (due to those Mario characters getting their games remade). Nonetheless, Sylux's best chance is DLC for a playable appearance, I wouldn't know how I'd feel if he became an assist trophy, mostly since I think Rundas could fit that bill very well seeming as with some changes he could act like Dark Samus' assist trophy.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I guess something like Rundas would fit better for assist trophy now that you mention it; long range ice attacks over the short range of Sylux’s shock coil, which may not be as effective for an AT. Still wouldn’t really expect MP3 content in Smash at this point though (Dark Samus notwithstanding), but would love to be wrong.

Top Bottom