• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Enemy Of The Federation - Sylux for Smash Ultimate (DLC)

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I dare say, the announcement of Metroid Prime 4 really caught me off guard. I remember them saying that Prime 3 was going to be the last of the series. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed the previous Metroid Primes games. That said, I sincerely look forward to what the fourth game has to offer.

Of all the playable characters in Metroid Prime: Hunters, Sylux is the one whose background I've been most curious about. He was also mine favourite character to use--though, mine preferred weapon was the Judicator, not the Shock Coil. That said, I wouldn't mind him appearing in Prime 4. Like Copen from Azure Striker Gunvolt, Sylux could be Samus's rival, but also have his own playable story arc. I just hope they'll add new characters as well, instead of recycling old ones.

If Sylux does indeed appear in Prime 4, I could see him being added to Smash. He has the moveset potential, and the popularity.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
LIQUID12A LIQUID12A Randomly came across your source gaming page about "FE's gift to Metroid". Well said. Of course whether Metroid explodes again in popularity with Samus Returns and MP4 the way FE did with Awakening remains to be seen, but if it does, I guess I'll be even more grateful to FE in that sense. Ironically, on that note, my only main experience with FE outside of Smash is borrowing a friend's copy of Awakening to play some on my 3DS.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
If Metroid explodes again, that would be cool. But I wouldn't bet on it unless a lot more new fans play it than they did with Federation Force.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
LIQUID12A LIQUID12A Randomly came across your source gaming page about "FE's gift to Metroid". Well said. Of course whether Metroid explodes again in popularity with Samus Returns and MP4 the way FE did with Awakening remains to be seen, but if it does, I guess I'll be even more grateful to FE in that sense. Ironically, on that note, my only main experience with FE outside of Smash is borrowing a friend's copy of Awakening to play some on my 3DS.
The idea came from a Reddit thread making the exact connection, and I decided to expand on it. I don't think Metroid would explode quite like how Fire Emblem did(unless Prime 4 has the same impact the original Prime did), but I think Metroid's gonna sell well(assuming it's well made, which Samus Returns certainly looks to be) with it's target region(NA) at the very least.

Regarding the latter specifically, the last 2D entry, Fusion, from 2002, has 1.18 million units sold to it's name; with the huge install base of the 3DS plus people clamoring for a return to form(not to mention that the special edition has sold out in several places and was at one point a top seller on Amazon for preorders), it's a viable prediction that Samus Returns could outsell Fusion in the West(and to outsell the original it'd need another 150k sales) and become a hit title like Metroid was in the past.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The idea came from a Reddit thread making the exact connection, and I decided to expand on it. I don't think Metroid would explode quite like how Fire Emblem did(unless Prime 4 has the same impact the original Prime did), but I think Metroid's gonna sell well(assuming it's well made, which Samus Returns certainly looks to be) with it's target region(NA) at the very least.

Regarding the latter specifically, the last 2D entry, Fusion, from 2002, has 1.18 million units sold to it's name; with the huge install base of the 3DS plus people clamoring for a return to form(not to mention that the special edition has sold out in several places and was at one point a top seller on Amazon for preorders), it's a viable prediction that Samus Returns could outsell Fusion in the West(and to outsell the original it'd need another 150k sales) and become a hit title like Metroid was in the past.
One thing to fear though is that the 3DS's life is coming to its end soon, and this might prevent Samus Returns to outsell at least Fusion.

I also have to say I'm kinda iffy with your comparison with FE Awakening.

Last edited by a moderator:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Hello! I'd like to say that I have softened up to this guy, specially since he's going to have more significance in future games. So I'd be down to have him in Smash as well! I mean, if Ridley fails to become playable again, I can at least hope we get some more Metroid representation regardless, and this guy seems like the safest bet.

Anyway, I'd also like to share some fanart with you guys. Hope you like it.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
LIQUID12A LIQUID12A Some of the images in the OP have broken for me. Any chance of having that fixed?

Also, I'm starting to become surprisingly confident on the prospects of Sylux. Let's hope I'm not entirely crazy.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I think Sylux is the most likely new Metroid rep if we get one. Unless there's a new awesome original character in Prime 4, that is. I'd love Rundas though. We need a (real) ice user, the Climbers are kind of barely ice-savvy.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It's really that time again.

Hi all. I've been dead on SmashBoards for the past year considering I've been on Discord most of the time. But now I'm back to drum up support for my most wanted once again.

This time around Sylux has more of a chance given the existence of Prime 4 and (if the rumors are true) Namco working on it means we could easily see early bird content to promote Prime 4 well ahead of it's release. Sure, it's still a bit of a long shot, but now it's got much more of a legitimate case compared to Smash 4.

Let's see what the future brings.

D

Deleted member

What are you doing on the second page Liquid? To the first page wit' ye!

EDIT: I love how far Sylux has come. In 2006 he was a somewhat eccentric oharacter that very few people had heard of, now he's almost mainstream.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Smash Switch's release date being much earlier than expected has me a bit more skeptical towards Sylux. If we had more knowledge about Metroid Prime 4, than his chances could be a bit higher, but as of now, I'm not too sure.

Maybe we'll get to know more info about Metroid Prime 4 before or during E3, just ahead of any potential Smash reveals.

Nonetheless, I still think Sylux would make for a solid choice.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Picture this reveal trailer: Samus and a few other fighters are duking it out (probably in a dark facility). As the camera focuses on the fighters at a distance, the silhouette of the Lockjaw zooms by the camera, somewhat obscured due to being out of focus. Samus gains the upper hand in the fight. After aiming her cannon at a downed fighter, she suddenly dodges a shot from behind her. She turns to aim in the direction of the shot.

Out of the darkness, the lights on Sylux’s suit light up, starting with the face as the camera zooms out. Sylux jumps out of the darkness with the splash screen “Sylux Joins the Hunt!” After that there is a brief scene of Samus and Sylux getting into an epic shoot out, before it cuts to gameplay to show Sylux off. Then the trailer ends with Sylux and Samus at a standoff, aiming their guns at each other as the camera zooms out, the other fighters getting back up.

Sylux's theme is a must. 00:00-00:04 for when Samus dodges the shot, 00:05 and onward for the rest.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Picture this reveal trailer: Samus and a few other fighters are duking it out (probably in a dark facility). As the camera focuses on the fighters at a distance, the silhouette of the Lockjaw zooms by the camera, somewhat obscured due to being out of focus. Samus gains the upper hand in the fight. After aiming her cannon at a downed fighter, she suddenly dodges a shot from behind her. She turns to aim in the direction of the shot.

Out of the darkness, the lights on Sylux’s suit light up, starting with the face as the camera zooms out. Sylux jumps out of the darkness with the splash screen “Sylux Joins the Hunt!” After that there is a brief scene of Samus and Sylux getting into an epic shoot out, before it cuts to gameplay to show Sylux off. Then the trailer ends with Sylux and Samus at a standoff, aiming their guns at each other as the camera zooms out, the other fighters getting back up.

Sylux's theme is a must. 00:00-00:04 for when Samus dodges the shot, 00:05 and onward for the rest.

Man, that is badass. To add something, how about Sylux takes on Samus and Pikachu (the old Brawl duo)? Since "he" has powers associated with both of them.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I mostly think that Sylux's best shot for inclusion in the base roster amounts to one thing: early bird inclusion a la Greninja or Corrin.

This is a plausible outcome but will end up relying on a lot of lucky coincidences. When Prime 4 itself began development, when Smash Switch's roster was decided, whether Prime 4 was actually looked at like Pokemon X/Y was, and probably some other things I'm missing. Though if these do happen, and if Greninja can get in from what were essentially sketches, Sylux can get in with the added advantage of having a full appearance already. If nothing else, they're at least aware of Hunters' existence given it's one song appearance in Smash 4 (which, odd that it was chosen over songs from Echoes and Corruption).

DLC is another possibility but way too early to even be discussing, though it's a much safer bet depending on when Prime 4 will drop.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Smash 4 is definitely happening and if the shadows don't lie, Samus definitely returns.

The Metroid series is definitely due for another character at this point but will it be Stylux? All depends on Metroid Prime 4.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'm in for support

Sylux would promote for prime 4 if he's in that

And 2018 doesn't matter games that came out til later got promoted in smash 4

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I support. He is my in my opinion the best Metroid rep choice by how things are, actually I think he is the only who have a chance
Also, I'm excited too see him in Metroid Prime 4

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
If he's not in the base game, I can definitely see him as DLC as a way to promote Prime 4 (assuming he has a big role in it). So I guess you can count me as a supporter.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I support the inclusion of Sylux in Smash 5, especially since Sakurai, who is working on Smash 5 has already stated Ridley is just too big to be playable and staying true to himself, so someone like Sylux who shares a similar height to Samus is eligible, plus with the fact Sylux could have a 100% unique moveset in comparison to someone like Dark Samus who'd most likely be an exact clone of Samus or a Semi-Clone of Samus like Luigi is to Mario, along with Sylux being the only other Metroid character besides Samus herself and Ridley that's relevant these days due to the desire the guy in charge of the Metroid Prime games sharing he'd like to expand the story between Samus and Sylux and making that ship chasing Samus at the end of Prime 3 Sylux's ship, along with Sylux's cameo in Federation Force in the secret ending, and with how Metroid Prime 4 is looking, its a safe bet that Sylux will play a major role in that game, so I'm all in for this electric bounty hunter to be our first Metroid rep that isn't Samus!

I also like to share that I myself have created a moveset for Sylux, if anyone of you know of Erickson Gaming, my Sylux moveset idea got fifth place out of 700+ moveset submissions in their video "5 MORE Fresh Super Smash Bros Fighters Ideas - Contest 3 Results"

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
I also like to share that I myself have created a moveset for Sylux, if anyone of you know of Erickson Gaming, my Sylux moveset idea got fifth place out of 700+ moveset submissions in their video "5 MORE Fresh Super Smash Bros Fighters Ideas - Contest 3 Results"
Thanks for spreading awareness about Sylux. Online popularity definitely helps a ton when choosing new characters.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
We're bringing back this thread? Not sure how likely he is, but Sylux is a cult favorite of sorts, count me in.

I think he could be fun, namely with the health stealing and electric mines.

D

Deleted member

Hrm, with the rampant Ridley speculation/leaks going around, I kind of doubt Sylux will be in Smash 5, for now at least. DLC, possibly? Replacing Dark Samus as an AT? (Isaac sort of shows that assist trophies aren't forever...)

There's something vaguely amusing about when, just as Metroid is getting another recurring villain who isn't "too big" for Smash, Sakurai changes the rules and lets Ridley in anyway!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It's always been a stretch for the base game. There's scenarios where Sylux could make it but those are pretty reliant on behind the scenes coincidences, which I'm not confident in.

Either way it's not like Ridley getting in automatically disqualifies Sylux from joining in alongside him. We'll have to wait and see what happens on the 12th.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I support Sylux for DLC. Development of Prime 4 either literally just started or hasn't started yet by the time Sakurai did the project plan. I think it's pretty much impossible for him to be in the base game. Sylux is on the verge of being very relevant but as of now he's still fairly obscure. He's not there yet. I think if he shows a nice set of moves in Prime 4 him being added later down the line seems pretty certain.

D

Deleted member

Congratulations, dragon fans (me included) you made it!

Would anyone like to come onboard for the other Metroid character? Considering that we know that Prime 4 won't be at E3 this year, the game itself might not be released until 2020. So, yeah, Sylux DLC anyone?

As an aside to the Cylosian true-believers, what kind of role would we like to see Sylux play in future Metroid games? I for one would like him to return often (but not every game).

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Now that Ridley's in I'd be so down to see sylux included, it's a shame they didn't show off prime 4, I hope it'll release in 2019 I need this game immediately

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I'm happy as the metroid fans as a whole we got Ridley in, but uh... being a little bit more greedy never hurt anyone too bad. While I think Sylux's chances of getting into the base game are slim, I do think he'd be able to make the cut as DLC... I just hope Sakurai doesn't make him an echo fighter, because I can see him doing that to Sylux and even Dark Samus if either of those two get onto the roster.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
After taking the time to think over Ridley's inclusion (meaning I have to make some edits to the OP), I think Sylux's chances for the future have gotten better.

The character's best shot for the base game is an Echo Fighter...but I would personally find that a weaker trade-off given that Echoes are effectively clones, which I don't think does Sylux justice.

A far likelier scenario now would be Sylux being DLC (as a non Echo fighter) to coincide with Prime 4. And the future does lend itself to the possibility very well; Ultimate releases in December, and the next year would probably have the DLC period begin, much like Smash Wii U before it.

Yesterday has been a great boon for us. We'll have to play the long game, but Sylux can happen.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I hope Sylux captures the DLC team's imagination like Corrin did before. For now, let's see how Ridley plays.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
This thread's inactivity is a little striking coming from the K. Rool thread.

Anyway, I think Sylux definitely has a chance of making it in as DLC. He'd be great promtion for Prime 4, another villain, and a unique character who could rival Samus' versatility. He'll have some competition, but I think if we can voice our support effectively, he could make it.

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
I definitely support! I think Sylux is very likely to be DLC to promote Metroid Prime 4 and I'd be excited to play as him (it?).

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
maybe unpopular opinion, specially here, but i think that Sylux would be decent Echo Fighter, not only that, but the fact that it could work as an echo fighter is the main reason why i think he have (albeit small) chance.

The irony is that while lots of people clamour DarkSamus for Samus Echo, Imo it wouldnt work at all, Samus and dark samus are 2 entities way too different, both biologically, and regarding stuff they do, and how they move. (how would darksamus use down b? turn into a morphball and drop a bomb?)

I don't doubt an original moveset could be made for sylux the same way a completely original moveset could be done for Daisy, but since the resources are limited, and lets face it, Sylux isn't exactly on teh priority list or in the super popular podium, i don't think he will be considered for a full fledged character.

But if you think about it guy even have its own version of the morphball... just.. ask yourself, how many characters in an armor with a hand cannon could do a morphball? not even dark samus.

the ideal would be a darkpit scenario where the character is the same expect for one or 2 different special moves. switch charge beam for shock coil, a kind of "electric flamethrower" and down b bombs for a slower longer lasting bomb that can be put in more quantities (and even put a tripwire between them).

I dont doubt that the guy have the potential to be unique.. but i think you guys should consider his similarities with samus not as a burden, but as a boon.

Top Bottom