• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Enemies of the Crown: King Dedede Matchup Thread (SERIN IS IN CHARGE NOW NOT GATES)

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
I want to see videos if they exist.
If they did, i would get the link tatooed on my arm. That's how amazing it was.

Wow @ these rediculius numbers. Snake vs Dedede is even. I live in freaking snake country and play Afro/Chops/Hrnut consistently. Seibrik and I probably have more experience in this matchup than anyone and we both agree its roughly even and seibrik even thinks very soon snake will have the advantage. Afro also agrees its basically even(probably the best snake @ the matchup).
Snake wins on stage, camps hard, sort of hard for Dedede to approach. Ftilt does massive damage. Getting techchased can lead to massive damage just the stage control. Once Dedede gets around the camping he gets 50+% of course leading to an edgeguard. Its just real momentum based. Too lazy to write alot about it now but definitley as beef said. 50:50, 55:45 for D3 at best.
Srsly. Florida DDDs **** on snakes for some reason lol Co knows what he's talking about. Snakes just whine about being chaingrabbed and say the match-up's **** because of it.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
Vs a regular Snake its even

....then I played Ally a good amount of matches...I just get confused as to how this was even a good matchup for Dedede to begin with - Snake's got a small advantage

If you're off the edge, don't use up b low, it just gets grabbed. Now if you lose ALL of your jumps its an infinite grab to dthrow over and over again...this was learned by experience, its not fun at all lol

Mikey7

Smash Lord
You're able to input commands after the down throw at the edge you know...
The timing is easy.
Yeah but the thing is if your jumps are all lost, most u can do its like forward air, which is an easy shield then you must up b again.

I'm really trying to find a way to get around this, I haven't given up yet

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Mikey...if we don't upB for recovery and we use all of our jumps, he shouldn't be able to grab us when we grab the ledge from below, and if we stupidly use all of our jumps and then grab the ledge while falling, Snake's grab range woudn't be long enough if we space ourselves then grab the ledge anyways. If you're super cautious at the situation, do an airdodge ahead of time while falling instead of doing the work of spacing yourself to grab the ledge. Time the airdodge correctly and you should be able to grab the ledge after the airdodge frames are done.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
Stupid responses like that are why I gave up looking at the character boards - mindless stupidity based on theory, back to not reading these again

CO18

Smash Hero
Stupid responses like that are why I gave up looking at the character boards - mindless stupidity based on theory, back to not reading these again
Im pretty sure you can nair if he's doing that. Im not sure whenever Im down thrown at the ledge I usually nair/ airdodge and end up making it safely. Or if hes doing grab attacks mash out fast into a jump release since youre over the ledge then youll be high enough so he cant do it anymore.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Would an air dodge off the ledge, after Falco's CG, work if you start seeing or are expecting the Dair animation?

Uh...Mikey i think commander beef and co18 are pretty much saying the same thing in essence.

Your saying your having problems recovering low with up+b well...all i can say is do not recover low with Dedede's up+b. It's just as dangerous as Snake recovering low with HIS up+b. Dedede has 4 jumps, and you should try using each jump after you reach the apex height of the previous jump used. Up+b...only as a very very last resort. Dedede's movement speed in the air is pretty slow when hes not fast falling...so use his slow speed to stall abit, camp in the air and wait to see if your opponent is impatient enough to come after you below the ledge. Like beef said, Snake is too tall to grab people at the same level as the platform. If you can use jumps to get yourself to sweet spot the ledge thats your best option.

xX Jolly

Smash Rookie
NNID
jollygoodfellowz
If Snake is waiting to grab D3 from the air cant D3 air dodge into up tilt. I heard that up tilt comes out faster than the grab i haven't tested this but i have seen people do it successfully. Correct me if im wrong.

T3h Albino

Smash Master
its buffered utilt mang
you air dodge down and then input the utilt command quickly and as soon as you hit the ground utilt comes out.
atleast i think thats how it works lol ;B

Vayseth

Smash Master
I think we should revisit some match ups that are especially difficult for DDD.

I say we revisit: ICs, Falco, Diddy and Metaknight. They seem to be DDD's hardest match ups (IMO) but I can't say I've ever played against a good Oli or Pika (I live by anther, but I rarely play him XD) but those could be included as well.

And believe it or not, I think we need to seriously revisit the snake match up.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I say we revisit: ICs, Falco, Diddy and Metaknight.
ICs are already scheduled for discussion and everyone else has been discussed twice. The metagame really hasn't changed for these matchups either.

And believe it or not, I think we need to seriously revisit the snake match up.
That's what we're doing RIGHT NOW.

T3h Albino

Smash Master
lol 69
anyway ill post a wall of text on my opinion of the matchup later
IN THIS POST it will be an edit xD
ic's arent as bad as people make them seem for d3
just space yourself <__< and when you do get grabbed you'll probably be at a high percent anyway

Gates

Banned via Warnings
late update.

SNAKE DISCUSSION IS CLOSED.
ICE CLIMBERS DISCUSSION GO!

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Ban FD. Platform camp worth hell. They will attempt some tricky dysynch tricks as they jump in air to get you off the platforms, this happens, abuse your great aerials to separate Nana, gimp Nana. Kill the single popo. You mustn't make a mistake. You must always keep track of their movements, abuse your range, watch out for the freeze attack ****. Don't go for a grab, don't do anything with heavy lag. Stick to dtilt, ftilt, utilt (though the range on this makes it risky) bair, and when you are platform camping, auto canceled dair. In reality, every move is a risk. Out of the neutrals, pray to god you get Smashville. You can abuse the moving platform for some major camping.

Also, if I could quote Co18 for a second, Nana love DDDs fmash.

Teh Future

Smash Master
If you guys manage to seperate us you can kill either one easily by bthrow/fthrow off the stage followed by bairs. Pretty much a garanteed kill. The only the time you guys have the advantage is when ICs are off the stage. Sibe B has incredible mobility but if you space bairs correctly then thats one less stock. If they use upB to the stage you can run off and hit popo and their dead.

Waddle dees stop Ice blocks if you manage to get one on the ground it is good. ftilt is also good because of its ****** range just make sure they aren't close enough to punish it.

If you plan on camping platforms make sure you aren't predictable when landing because ICs upair shieldpokes/juggles/racks up damage extremely well.

If you do get grabbed mash like crazy at low percentages (<40) and you'll probably be able to get out

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Ice climbers are pretty hard. I've beaten some, but if it's a player at an equal skill level you should really consider switching. I use lucario for them.

I love your avatar atomsk lol

T3h Albino

Smash Master
player of = skill
i go gnw
this matchup is too stupid to warrant playing
I mean yeah i was saying before it's not as hard as people make it out.
but it's still dumb hard lol ;B

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Okay...people, we're literally discussing the matchup and what small things we can do to overcome obstacles against ice climbers. Of course we all want to switch characters but I was expecting great information from atomsk and fogo who would rather switch characters.
The stuff that Crashic said may be a little more basic or logical but it's a great start and we can use that info nicely.
So I would like to add this. As gay as it sounds, we should do a little more air camping to these guys than Falco. And we should plank more with a control stick tilt to get off the ledge. They won't expect that.
Don't do inhale as much here, but still do it sparingly because it'll separate them easier than down airing because they'll probably shield. Only use sparingly because one climber will know to smash you.
For people who don't know, we will counterpick Norfair for this, but they'll normaly ban it. But counterpick it when possible.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Wow, melee1 messed up those grabs pretty badly in that match. I know I'm kind of jaded seeing lain play a lot, but seriously, if you're going to learn Ice Climbers you need to learn the grabs.

CO18

Smash Hero
I dunno. I dont think Ics are that terrible for Dedede but I havent played Meep or Lain yet. Ill try to get some matches in with lain @ genesis.

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
Very nice work has been done here. I've only seens ICs and G&W boards with finished match-ups. Basically, I'm posting because I'm working on a chart with every board in mind. A huge match-up chart with all the minds from the SWFs :)!

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
I can't see **** here at work, I can't say if I had something else in mind just yet =P

What I can say is that it's either something new or an update of something old =)!

Edit: Although it seems to be fairly well updated >_>!

Top Bottom