• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Emperor Pokemon Empoleon Joins Pokken Tournament

CyjpYNJXAAAdV8X.jpg

On November 1, Croagunk was introduced to the Pokken series, gathering all sorts of reactions ranging from disappointment to laughter to joy. A month later the development team has announced a new addition to their family: Empoleon, the emperor Pokemon!

The penguin-inspired Pokemon showcases its strength using its claws on its fins to slash its enemies and it's ability to control the water, blasting strong jets at its opponents to inflict damage or releasing small amounts to use it to freeze the ground to immobilize. These are all seen in its move-set, which is showcased in the trailer above.

Speculations of Empoleon, Scizor and Darkrai being added to the roster have existed ever since patch 1.3 was data-mined.

What are your thoughts about this character? Let us know in the comment section down below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dominic "RayOfCannon" William

Comments

In my opinion, Out of the many wicked things this trailer has shown us, Empoleon's capability of using the jets to propel backwards to generate a considerable amount of force to body slam the opponent was pretty impressive

It's weird seein how some pokémon's skin/fur texture look when fully rendered

Last edited:
Aw yeah
Blaziken and Empoleon, my fav flightless birbs <3
Can't wait for update/Switch Port so I can finally try him out

...and this is related to Smash how...? (don't say fighting game with Nintendo IP)
But that's why. They've been covering Pokken here since it's release, it even has its own forum next to all the Smash games. I don't see the problem with giving other games attention, it's not like there's a ton of Smash related stuff to talk about right now.

Last edited:
...and this is related to Smash how...? (don't say fighting game with Nintendo IP)
pretty sure this is why they cover pokken, I definitely recommend checking out other sources for the game if your interested in it, smashboards does not provide the best coverage of the game. (Inb4 I get another warning for saying pokken dedicated sites are better sources of information than smashboards)

The moveset is pretty interesting. Wonder how Empoleon will be played as a character. In my perspective a possible heavy hitter.

Pokken for Switch? Tournaments become like 100x easier with switch's technology. I'd pick it back up in that case

pretty sure this is why they cover pokken, I definitely recommend checking out other sources for the game if your interested in it, smashboards does not provide the best coverage of the game. (Inb4 I get another warning for saying pokken dedicated sites are better sources of information than smashboards)
We actually have a Pokken section on the forums! And a lot of us are actually involved with Pokken. I created the main Pokken subreddit and help out in the background of the scene, for example.

We recently got a Pokken-only writer as a collab with Pokken Arena, so stay tuned for that.

The datamined four are all accounted for. Now we're left wondering if we could get anyone else. 20 characters is an awfully small roster for a modern fighting game, and there's that one rumor that Nintendo wants to dip their feet into esports with Pokkén as one of their three titles. Between that and the precedent from SFV getting another round of newcomers...who knows?

We actually have a Pokken section on the forums! And a lot of us are actually involved with Pokken. I created the main Pokken subreddit and help out in the background of the scene, for example.

We recently got a Pokken-only writer as a collab with Pokken Arena, so stay tuned for that.
When the section on the forums was first seeing life about 2 months before the game came out, I got a post taken down referring to PokkenArena, since then I've stayed clear of the pokken sub forum here, didn't wanna risk anything. Representatives of TPCi have actually said they really wish there was a central hub for Pokken that was used significantly more, which should probably be PokkenArena, but Part of the problem is I can guarantee people here have actually never heard of that site.

Between discord, twitter, facebook, r/pokkengame, PokkenArena AND smashboards, information is actually very hard to keep track of, and there's no place to refer back to 100% of the time. Information often has to be repeated upwards of 10 times for people to stop asking the same question, because they don't know where to refer back to. I'm 100% for smashboards helping out the Pokken scene, but my problem I guess is that the scene would benefit from cross referencing other sources of information such as r/Pokkengame and PokkenArena, but that doesnt happen much at all.

I was going to make a satire post complaining about Pokken being on Smash news but it seems someone already beat me to it. I thought we've already made it clear enough that non-Smash articles are fair game in news sections.

it'd be swell if the devs could actually give some dialogue with Console fans... japanese players will most likely have dissected the characters pretty thoroughly enough to have a leg up from the rest of us, but as scarce as Pokken scenes are internationally, having some news for consoles would be great.

it's not fair, man, and you can bet people are going to be PISSED if it goes the BlazBlue route of releasing a separate version of the game at full price...

Last edited:
When the section on the forums was first seeing life about 2 months before the game came out, I got a post taken down referring to PokkenArena, since then I've stayed clear of the pokken sub forum here, didn't wanna risk anything. Representatives of TPCi have actually said they really wish there was a central hub for Pokken that was used significantly more, which should probably be PokkenArena, but Part of the problem is I can guarantee people here have actually never heard of that site.

Between discord, twitter, facebook, r/pokkengame, PokkenArena AND smashboards, information is actually very hard to keep track of, and there's no place to refer back to 100% of the time. Information often has to be repeated upwards of 10 times for people to stop asking the same question, because they don't know where to refer back to. I'm 100% for smashboards helping out the Pokken scene, but my problem I guess is that the scene would benefit from cross referencing other sources of information such as r/Pokkengame and PokkenArena, but that doesnt happen much at all.
I agree. I created both the Discord and /r/PokkenGame and most of us think there should be a centralized hub ala MIOM. People in the background are in talks of it, but WHERE it will be is the main point of dicussion.

For now, I'm doing my part by trying to make SB a centralized source of competitive info in time for Season 2. We're actually looking for more Pokken writers.

I don't know where you're getting that info that we're censoring info about PokkenArena, /r/pokkengame, etc. since a some of us on the writing team are friends with the mods/admins of both. In fact, we're working with some people from both to bring more Pokken content to SB. It might be another moderator here on Smashboards though; post removal grounds varies from person to person :/

Last edited:
Empoleon is my favorite Pokémon among the starters, I wish I could main him on Pokkén Tournament. Too bad, Wii U don't want its DLC. :(

They haven't said anything about adding DLC to the Wii U version yet have they? I wanna Pick up Pokken, but I feel like I'm playing an incomplete game without any of these other characters in it.

Top Bottom