• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EMG Presents: Super Smash Bros. Play of the Week Episode 42

Missed the best moments from the past week in the competitive Smash community? EMG has you covered and just posted the 42nd installment of their Play of the Week series! Featured in this episode are highlights from #StR2015 including Lucky's career ending Falcon punch and a slew of unreal comebacks, combos and more! The clips are some of the best plays yet and certainly will help you remember this week in Smash history!

You can watch EP #42 video below:

If you have any submissions for future EMG videos, you can also send us clips using this form and let us know what you want to see next!
---------​
To support the team, you can check out Even Matchup Gaming's YouTube channel for more hype Smash Bros content and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Twitch.

Follow me on twitter @TorontoJoe to hit me up with some sick gfycats & talk Smash!

EMG Toronto Joe

Comments

I love how the smash 4 commentators reactions to good plays are like 10 TRILLION times louder than any reactions I hear from Esports commentators for any other game. These guys want so desperately to generate hype and it's really sad.

It's understandable to kreygasm on the mic when Lucky sacred combos Mike Haze with an earth shattering falcon punch, because that was ridiculously hype, and merited the reaction that it got.

I'm sorry but ike pivoting 3-4 times and then getting the edgeguard in smash 4 is cool and all, but it's not worth screaming into the mic like a banshee as if you had just seen some kind of ridiculous never-to-be-seen-before 0-death or hype combo.

Awesome clips all around, melee, PM, and Smash 4 included.

Smash 4 commentators need to calm the **** down. Let the game speak for itself. You are killing my ears. Calm down.

Last edited:
I love how the smash 4 commentators reactions to good plays are like 10 TRILLION times louder than any reactions I hear from Esports commentators for any other game. These guys want so desperately to generate hype and it's really sad.

It's understandable to kreygasm on the mic when Lucky sacred combos Mike Haze with an earth shattering falcon punch, because that was ridiculously hype, and merited the reaction that it got.

I'm sorry but ike pivoting 3-4 times and then getting the edgeguard in smash 4 is cool and all, but it's not worth screaming into the mic like a banshee as if you had just seen some kind of ridiculous never-to-be-seen-before 0-death or hype combo.

Smash 4 commentators need to calm the **** down. Let the game speak for itself. You are killing my ears. Calm down.
You realize you typed this diatribe in an episode where melee commentators clipped the mic for a basic Falcon Punch edgeguard, right? Twice, actually.

It's almost like you can't know the mood of entire match from one 10 second clip. Just enjoy the clips and stop debating about whether one bit is more exciting than another. Especially, when you have an obvious bias.

Last edited:
You realize you typed this diatribe in an episode where melee commentators clipped the mic for a basic Falcon Punch edgeguard, right? Twice, actually.
Edgeguarding in melee with a falcon punch is anything but basic. Please don't give an opinion when you really don't know what you're talking about.

The basic edgeguard would have been to simply edgehog and then bair in lucky's scenario. With wesballz he could have just ledgehop knee after marth landed on stage.

You make it sound like connecting with one of the lagiest moves in the fastest fighting game possible is some kind of small feat, it's not. Mike Haze is no slouch either, he got bodied but he's top level material it wasn't like this was some scrub or whatever, both those falcon punches were super legit. Super Hype, and worth the reaction.

Can't say the same for half of what I saw from the smash 4 clips (Not saying they were bad clips, calm down if you're reading this and about to rage and accuse me of bashing the game, I'm not. Just the commentators)

They don't need to yell so loud. Simple. I understand it when something insane happens (like the falcon punches) but not for basic stuff.

This applies to melee too. If I see a stomp-knee and the commentator starts breaking my ears screaming like a good boy who didn't get his chicken tendies I'd be pissed too.

Dude..

Can't say the same for half of what I saw from the smash 4 clips (Not saying they were bad clips, calm down if you're reading this and about to rage and accuse me of bashing the game, I'm not. Just the commentators)

They don't need to yell so loud. Simple. I understand it when something insane happens (like the falcon punches) but not for basic stuff.

This applies to melee too. If I see a stomp-knee and the commentator starts breaking my ears screaming like a good boy who didn't get his chicken tendies I'd be pissed too.
Please read my posts before jumping on the Dylan_Tnga hate train with the rest of the scrubs.

Still can't believe I read the words "basic falcon punch edgeguard" today... sad.

Anyway, the hypest combo was D1 telling the Moon to shut his mouth and know his role. Was cringing hard listening to the moon glad someone put him in his place.

Last edited:
The pivoting was just disrespect hype, not skill hype... The loudness added to the feel of the move. It wasn't gasping in disbelief from some absurd combo it was just a classic, YOU JUST GOT REKT in your face loudness. So what. There's nothing wrong with over the top cheering on silly showmanship when it actually pays off. That venue just got more out of it than you did. you're boring for hating on commentators just having fun. I never once got the sense that they were going out of their way to baby Smash 4 in the commentating department.

Oh and another great video of the week. Keep em coming, love all the clips regardless of the version of the game.

Last edited:

Funny enough, I think you need to calm down. If you want more people to jump in on Melee, let them play Smash 4 until they want bigger game. Otherwise, you're not helping the Melee crowd every time you comment anywhere on this website.

Funny enough, I think you need to calm down. If you want more people to jump in on Melee, let them play Smash 4 until they want bigger game. Otherwise, you're not helping the Melee crowd every time you comment anywhere on this website.
My god you guys love to read into things.

I don't care how many people do or don't play melee.

What bothers me is seeing something extremely basic being done in any smash game, and then having the commentator start screaming like he just got falcon punched in the scrotum.

to be honnest most of the commentary was cringy at STR. ESPECIALLY the moon. Melee's commentary wasn't any better than Smash 4s.

"Guys... guys guys falco grew up in the hood he holds the gun... *gets cut off but doesn't care* he holds the gun sideways *gets cut off again because nobody cares* hold the gun sideways cuz he is from the hood.. and fox *gets cut off, doesnt seem to notice* and Fox... and fox... and fox... and fox.... and fox he went to the policy academy *other commentators don't respond because they don't care* Guys he went to the police academy and learned to shoot the gun properly" -- The Moon.

Never though the moon would have such a soft voice too, more shocking than the first time I heard wesballington speak at Apex 2015.

I think we all learned from STR that smashers for the most part can't handle their booze and that cartoon beat em up nintendo game + Alcohol + live commentary = cringe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Samus Uair>Uair>Screw Attack over the blast zone never gets old.

And that Ryu play was amazing. I really should pick up this character and learn to use him properly.

The Smash 4 combos are so pathetic. Please stop.

But that viewer-submitted Falcon one was pretty crisp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edgeguarding in melee with a falcon punch is anything but basic. Please don't give an opinion when you really don't know what you're talking about.

The basic edgeguard would have been to simply edgehog and then bair in lucky's scenario. With wesballz he could have just ledgehop knee after marth landed on stage.

You make it sound like connecting with one of the lagiest moves in the fastest fighting game possible is some kind of small feat, it's not. Mike Haze is no slouch either, he got bodied but he's top level material it wasn't like this was some scrub or whatever, both those falcon punches were super legit. Super Hype, and worth the reaction.

The Sacred Combo is one thing, but Falcon Punching a target onstage for overshooting the ledge just a little is a basic hard read... you know better than anyone there's bigger plays than that... a certain Ganon player's notorious for having quite a few of those nasty plays on stream.

I agree that the commentators need to chill out, but be aware Smash 4's generation of players are not familiar with big stuff like Zero-to-death combos in the game they started on, especially when Melee (and to an extent, Project M) players dismiss or mock it for various reasons, especially for such plays... which are not ALL as easy as they seem, by the way.

also, you sort of established yourself with practically fanatical Melee favoritism, can you blame them for hating you on principle by this point...?

Last edited:
Top Bottom