• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EMG Presents: Super Smash Bros. Play of the Week Episode 39

Missed the best moments from the past week in the competitive Smash community? EMG has you covered and just posted the 39th installment of their Play of the Week series! Featured in this episode are highlights from TBH5 including Kage The Warriors heroic crew battle performance and a slew of unreal comebacks, combos and more! You can check out a recap of the action at The Big House 5 here written by Xiivi and see results of the Super Smash Brothers Wii U here and Melee here. In all, lots of action this past week - check it out!

You can watch EP #39 video below:

If you have any submissions for future EMG videos, you can also send us clips using this form and let us know what you want to see next!
---------​
To support the team, you can check out Even Matchup Gaming's YouTube channel for more hype Smash Bros content and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Twitch.

Follow me on twitter @TorontoJoe to hit me up with some sick gfycats & talk Smash!

Last edited by a moderator:
EMG Toronto Joe

Comments

Smash 4 was more exciting this time around imo. Sorry boi, You guys had it right at Paragon tho
No it was not. There is no instance in which a high level melee clip should be left out and a "high level" smash 4 clip takes it spot, in my opinion. That mario clip against Zero's shiek was pretty good though that one deserved to be on there, but the others really didn't if you consider the sheer amount of better game play featured in TBH5 top 64 melee bracket...

No it was not. There is no instance in which a high level melee clip should be left out and a "high level" smash 4 clip takes it spot, in my opinion. That mario clip against Zero's shiek was pretty good though that one deserved to be on there, but the others really didn't if you consider the sheer amount of better game play featured in TBH5 top 64 melee bracket...
The thing is, many of the moments you're referring to are common by Melee standards.
Melee was incredibly campy this time around. Smash 4 had amazing strings like that clip in the honorable mentions, like Zero getting knocked into losers from pools by Seagull Joe, and just some very hype sets in general.
It happens. Smash 4 can be hype at times, and Melee can be boring. I can completely understand bias (and I won't argue that Melee is the more competitive game either because I agree that Melee is better), but that doesn't change facts, and the fact is, while more people usually get hyped for Melee action, this time the Smash 4 side of things got more people excited. There were certainly some hype moments for melee (most notably Abate's road to top 8), but many people agree that Smash 4 was more interesting this time around. You don't have to agree with that, that's just what most people thought.

Last edited:
Loved this weeks clips, great to finally see people learning and be able to beat zero. The wii u had great plays at TBH this week.

There is no instance in which a high level melee clip should be left out and a "high level" smash 4 clip takes it spot, in my opinion.
That's just bias talking, it should always be taken on a case by case basis. If the smash 4 clip has more exciting, high-level plays than melee then so be it. also wtf with the quotes around "high level" it's not like the game doesn't have at the very least fighting game fundamentals that make for high level play, even if execution-wise some things are easier than melee.

Only showing that ZeRo had to work for his victories, that was his toughest tournament today imo
Both in terms of the opposition and his mindset.
I mean, he almost didn't make it out of round 2 pools because Raziek actualy took a game off of him. Nothing against Raziek, he's a fantastic Robin, but that's the thing, he's a Robin. The Robin v. Shiek Matchup is just completely awful for Robin and yet Raziek took a game before ZeRo switched to Diddy and bodied him. (or so I hear)
Great performances, but I can't help but feel ZeRo is slipping in his mind and his interest in Smash 4. Dude gets so much hate just because he's the best. I feel bad for him, he's always gone through this crap, whether it was because he was cocky back in the brawl days, his victory at the invitational, or now with his dominance.
People just...don't like ZeRo, for one reason after the next. It's gotta suck being rooted against all of the time. I imagine Dabuz feels similarly, though I don't know that nor do I know either of them personally at all.

You saying "don't feed the trolls" in and of itself feeds what you call "the troll".
I simply said what was on my mind. If the guy has irked you before, don't let that bother you. Let the man have his own opinion, and if you're not willing to accept his opinion, you may as well just leave any debate he's in alone.

Last edited:
Both in terms of the opposition and his mindset.
I mean, he almost didn't make it out of round 2 pools because Raziek actualy took a game off of him. Nothing against Raziek, he's a fantastic Robin, but that's the thing, he's a Robin. The Robin v. Shiek Matchup is just completely awful for Robin and yet Raziek took a game before ZeRo switched to Diddy and bodied him. (or so I hear)
Great performances, but I can't help but feel ZeRo is slipping in his mind and his interest in Smash 4. Dude gets so much hate just because he's the best. I feel bad for him, he's always gone through this crap, whether it was because he was cocky back in the brawl days, his victory at the invitational, or now with his dominance.
People just...don't like ZeRo, for one reason after the next. It's gotta suck being rooted against all of the time. I imagine Dabuz feels similarly, though I don't know that nor do I know either of them personally at all.
That also begs the question of how bad the match-up is, that can change over time.

What he posted was fine imo.

That also begs the question of how bad the match-up is, that can change over time.
true, Robin has gained a lot in the various patches, most notably the arcthunder buff and the kill confirm off of a throw.
However, while I'm not a master of Robin as frankly I'm pretty poor at Smash, I'm pretty sure the Shiek/Robin Matchup is probably around 70:30 in Shiek's favor. Robin's projectiles leave her open if she whiffs and Shiek can just weave right around her projectiles with Bouncing fish and FAirs, and once Shiek is in, Robin's in major trouble. Her high priority levin sword aerials can save her, but Shiek provides so much offensive pressure in the hands of a capable player like ZeRo that Robin is suffocated by it; Robin can't do a thing as Shiek just has her way. Heck, Shiek can actually outcamp Robin too, and is more than capable of keeping Robin exactly where she doesn't want to be either at long range or right in her face.
However, maybe I'm wrong (which is highly possible). It's still a big accomplishment for Raziek regardless and it gave him some nice spotlight as he's been pretty unknown outside of the Robin community (or so it seems.)

This guy has a habit of going into cross-Smash articles and trying to start drama. Sometimes, he'll go into an article that's only about 4 and try to start something.
Having an opinion and not trying to egg it on is not trolling. He didn't like something in the video.

That is perfectly fine to discuss if his opinion was Melee had more hype in it. I don't agree personally but that is fine for him to post if he feels that way.

What you did is call him out subtle and egg him on.

Him not liking the smash 4 stuff is perfectly fine, he's not being a troll unless he is purposely trying to piss people off.

He might have done that in the past, but here what he posted was perfectly fine. He's being civil, give him the respect to at least do that in return is all I ask instead of posting back, "don't feed the troll."

Hey, don't argue with the moderators. That's bad forum etiquette. Tsk tsk.
It's fine, I like talking to people about it.

Having an opinion and not trying to egg it on is not trolling. He didn't like something in the video.

That is perfectly fine to discuss if his opinion was Melee had more hype in it. I don't agree personally but that is fine for him to post if he feels that way.

What you did is call him out subtle and egg him on.

Him not liking the smash 4 stuff is perfectly fine, he's not being a troll unless he is purposely trying to piss people off.

He might have done that in the past, but here what he posted was perfectly fine. He's being civil, give him the respect to at least do that in return is all I ask instead of posting back, "don't feed the troll."
It's not what he said that makes me think he's trolling, it's the frequency and his responses. I'm willing to respect his opinion that Melee is better, until he starts saying things like:
There is no instance in which a high level melee clip should be left out and a "high level" smash 4 clip takes it spot, in my opinion.
Which is so over the top that I find it hard to see as anything but trying to rile people up.

It's not what he said that makes me think he's trolling, it's the frequency and his responses. I'm willing to respect his opinion that Melee is better, until he starts saying things like:

Which is so over the top that I find it hard to see as anything but trying to rile people up.
That is still his opinion on the matter though.

Some people do feel that way. I don't agree and at times feel the opposite more so these days but he's not going out of his way to troll here.

Just let it go.

true, Robin has gained a lot in the various patches, most notably the arcthunder buff and the kill confirm off of a throw.
However, while I'm not a master of Robin as frankly I'm pretty poor at Smash, I'm pretty sure the Shiek/Robin Matchup is probably around 70:30 in Shiek's favor. Robin's projectiles leave her open if she whiffs and Shiek can just weave right around her projectiles with Bouncing fish and FAirs, and once Shiek is in, Robin's in major trouble. Her high priority levin sword aerials can save her, but Shiek provides so much offensive pressure in the hands of a capable player like ZeRo that Robin is suffocated by it; Robin can't do a thing as Shiek just has her way. Heck, Shiek can actually outcamp Robin too, and is more than capable of keeping Robin exactly where she doesn't want to be either at long range or right in her face.
However, maybe I'm wrong (which is highly possible). It's still a big accomplishment for Raziek regardless and it gave him some nice spotlight as he's been pretty unknown outside of the Robin community (or so it seems.)
Hihi. Matchup's 4-6 in Sheik's favor. Robin has too much counterplay in terms of damage conversions. You can spend a long time getting slapped around by Fair and make it all back in one string.

Wind Jab is also downright exceptional against Sheik, racking crazy damage and killing her on most stages around 110, sometimes even earlier.

Needle camping is also not quite as effective as you might think, as if Robin can pop off an Elthunder before the needles get to her, then Sheik takes 10.5 in response, which is always in Robin's favor.

It's hard, yes, but very very doable. Better than what most mid tiers and even some high tiers have to deal with. Dath also sees a lot of success in the match-up fighting FL Sheiks.

Hihi. Matchup's 4-6 in Sheik's favor. Robin has too much counterplay in terms of damage conversions. You can spend a long time getting slapped around by Fair and make it all back in one string.

Wind Jab is also downright exceptional against Sheik, racking crazy damage and killing her on most stages around 110, sometimes even earlier.

Needle camping is also not quite as effective as you might think, as if Robin can pop off an Elthunder before the needles get to her, then Sheik takes 10.5 in response, which is always in Robin's favor.

It's hard, yes, but very very doable. Better than what most mid tiers and even some high tiers have to deal with. Dath also sees a lot of success in the match-up fighting FL Sheiks.
That's somewhat surprising. I purposely never pull out my Robin against Shiek mains because I thought it was a terrible MU but it's not as bad as I thought.
What stage do you think Robin should take a Shiek to then? (What starter should I aim for 1st match/what CP)

That's somewhat surprising. I purposely never pull out my Robin against Shiek mains because I thought it was a terrible MU but it's not as bad as I thought.
What stage do you think Robin should take a Shiek to then? (What starter should I aim for 1st match/what CP)
Depends on the starter list, but I generally try to avoid FD and Dreamland if there's 5 and they're both in there.

CP-wise Halberd is definitely our best, then probably T&C.

Top Bottom