• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elwind Jab Lock Percentages--Potential Footstool Combos?

Casey Chase

Undine~
3DS FC
1521-4138-1029
Disclaimer: this information is useless on its own, so 99% of the credit goes to Lavani for finding a usage for this info.

It's possible to jab lock using Elwind Cancelling but the timing is extremely tricky since you're fastfalling after the footstool. It also varies from character to character so if any lab monsters want to try this, I'd focus on characters with hard MUs like ZSS.

i made an example gif for the ground footstool>z-drop>air footstool>Elcancel lock>bronze uair>levin uair, though I was accidentally slow on the levin uair (still shows as a combo but could be airdodged; input properly it's guaranteed)

elcanceling is cool
Some characters still need testing since I don't have most DLC so contributions are appreciated.

:4mario: 74%
:4luigi:74%
:4peach:70%
:4bowser:87%
:4yoshi:77%
:rosalina:66%
:4bowserjr:79%
:4wario:78%
:4gaw:65%
:4dk:84%
:4diddy:72%
:4link:77%
:4zelda:69%
:4sheik:68%
:4ganondorf:80%
:4tlink:72%
:4samus:78%
:4zss:67%
:4pit:/:4darkpit:73%
:4palutena:71%
:4marth:71%
:4myfriends:78%
:4robinm:/:4robinf:73%
:4kirby:66%
:4dedede:83%
:4metaknight:67%
:4littlemac:68%
:4fox:66%
:4falco:68%
:4pikachu:66%
:4charizard:82%
:4lucario:75%
:4jigglypuff:62%
:4greninja:73%
:4duckhunt:71%
:4rob:78%
:4ness:73%
:4falcon:77%
:4villager:/:4villagerf:74%
:4olimar:66%
:4wiifit:/:4wiifitm:73%
:4drmario:74%
:4lucina:71%
:4shulk:76% (No Monado Arts)
:4pacman:73%
:4megaman:76%
:4sonic:73%
:4corrinf:/:4corrin:74%

NEEDS TESTING
:4bayonetta:
:4cloud:
:4mewtwo:
:4feroy:
:4lucas:
:4ryu:
:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:
:4shulk:(Monado Arts)

Footstools are the future

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
This looks interesting. Didn't actually know about Elcanceling.

Unfortunately when I went to try your hypothetical combo, Robin jumps too high and doesn't fall fast enough after a footstool to actually lock in time, even against a floaty like Rosalina. Maybe it'd work on someone floatier like Peach or Jigglypuff, but I kind of doubt it.

If you have a discarded tome in hand, you can do ground footstool>z-drop>air footstool>Elcancel lock>bronze uair>levin uair. Past lock percents you can just straight up kill with Elcancel ground bounce>usmash, since there's enough hitstun to combo and spikes aren't techable when already knocked down.

Casey Chase

Undine~
3DS FC
1521-4138-1029
This looks interesting. Didn't actually know about Elcanceling.

Unfortunately when I went to try your hypothetical combo, Robin jumps too high and doesn't fall fast enough after a footstool to actually lock in time, even against a floaty like Rosalina. Maybe it'd work on someone floatier like Peach or Jigglypuff, but I kind of doubt it.

If you have a discarded tome in hand, you can do ground footstool>z-drop>air footstool>Elcancel lock>bronze uair>levin uair. Past lock percents you can just straight up kill with Elcancel ground bounce>usmash, since there's enough hitstun to combo and spikes aren't techable when already knocked down.
It worked for me on Rosa...in training mode. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Just to make sure, you tried jumping as far as you could after the Arcthunder launched her? The timing is pretty tight anyways. If it still fails for you, I guess I'll have to concede defeat on that one. ;_;

The combos you mentioned are pretty interesting. I'll have to test them out myself. The Elcancel ground bounce -> usmash seems like an interesting kill option too.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
It worked for me on Rosa...in training mode. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Just to make sure, you tried jumping as far as you could after the Arcthunder launched her? The timing is pretty tight anyways. If it still fails for you, I guess I'll have to concede defeat on that one. ;_;

The combos you mentioned are pretty interesting. I'll have to test them out myself. The Elcancel ground bounce -> usmash seems like an interesting mixup (although it would be foiled pretty easily if teched)
Yeah, I'm waiting as long as I can. Elwind needs to hit within 25 frames of the opponent landing to lock, but with Robin's fall speed I get to Rosalina ~32 frames after she lands, so she isn't forced to stand up. Double footstool combos shorten the second footstool's height and make it possible, but I think the combo I mentioned is the only way that would work.

Casey Chase

Undine~
3DS FC
1521-4138-1029
Yeah, I'm waiting as long as I can. Elwind needs to hit within 25 frames of the opponent landing to lock, but with Robin's fall speed I get to Rosalina ~32 frames after she lands, so she isn't forced to stand up. Double footstool combos shorten the second footstool's height and make it possible, but I think the combo I mentioned is the only way that would work.
Good to know, thanks! Kinda of sad that Robin still needs a tome to do footstool/jab lock shenanigans but I'll take what I can get.

Time to hit the lab, I guess.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
i made an example gif for the ground footstool>z-drop>air footstool>Elcancel lock>bronze uair>levin uair, though I was accidentally slow on the levin uair (still shows as a combo but could be airdodged; input properly it's guaranteed)

elcanceling is cool

Zeiah92

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeiah92

elcanceling is cool
So does this mean we can pull like a megaman where we footstool out of shield to z book drop and do a jab lock with the elwind?

Casey Chase

Undine~
3DS FC
1521-4138-1029
So does this mean we can pull like a megaman where we footstool out of shield to z book drop and do a jab lock with the elwind?
That's what I had been thinking but I'm not so sure. There are a bunch of things that make this more difficult to pull off than Mega Man's. Robin's atrocious jumpsquat, for one, narrows down the moves that we can perform this on (unless we git gud at powershielding). Our tomes aren't as easily accessible as MM's Metal Blade either, though Levin Swords could probably be used as substitutes. Elcancelling is difficult to do while fastfalling as well, marking a third barrier to sick combos.

At the very least it can make for a dope shield break punish but I'm not entirely optimistic about everywhere else...I've gotten so demoralized in the past 24 hours thinking about the potential uses (or lack thereof) for Elcancel jab locks.

Don't let that stop you from trying it out though. Maybe I just suck at Smash ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Top Bottom