• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
All you need to know, it would seem the NSO stuff might have been delayed but that guy’s last post was doubling down on what he heard
Thanks. That’s definitely interesting.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'm happy for Monolith Soft as they expand. They are talented developers and I'm looking forward to what they have in store in the future. Maybe in a year or two We'll finally get X DE. Come on Nintendo you have been doing so good with the Wii U ports finish the job. I want to try out X badly but I don't want to buy a Wii U just to get it.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm happy for Monolith Soft as they expand. They are talented developers and I'm looking forward to what they have in store in the future. Maybe in a year or two We'll finally get X DE. Come on Nintendo you have been doing so good with the Wii U ports finish the job. I want to try out X badly but I don't want to buy a Wii U just to get it.
You know I was thinking, with all these rumors of a Super Switch/Switch “Pro” a Xeno X DE could definitely benefit from improved processing power and graphics

it’d look even better than on the Wii U

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Thugstas said Monolith Soft has a game coming out this financial year (up until March 2022). He also implied that something related to X was being planned, which I imagine is the X port. However, I don’t think the XCX port is the game that is being released this FY. The Xenoblade team has been working on an original project since mid 2018, which is around the time Takahashi denied the possibility of X. I personally believe that XCX port was under heavy consideration by Nintendo/Monolith Soft about a year ago after Xenoblade DE came out.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Thugstas said Monolith Soft has a game coming out this financial year (up until March 2022). He also implied that something related to X was being planned, which I imagine is the X port. However, I don’t think the XCX port is the game that is being released this FY. The Xenoblade team has been working on an original project since mid 2018, which is around the time Takahashi denied the possibility of X. I personally believe that XCX port was under heavy consideration by Nintendo/Monolith Soft about a year ago after Xenoblade DE came out.
In that case, as the resident PXZ stan, I hope it’s X Zone 3

and hopefully they bring back the 3 Nintendo characters from 2, two of whom are playable in Smash (the third is a Final Smash cameo), add Elma of course, and maybe a few more Nintendo characters and/or characters that appeared in Smash

would still also love Square Enix, SNK and Konami joining. Oh yeah, and Joker.

But uh didn’t Thugstas say at least one Monolith game? I’m also assuming he isn’t referring to Splatoon 3

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
In that case, as the resident PXZ stan, I hope it’s X Zone 3

and hopefully they bring back the 3 Nintendo characters from 2, two of whom are playable in Smash (the third is a Final Smash cameo), add Elma of course, and maybe a few more Nintendo characters and/or characters that appeared in Smash

would still also love Square Enix, SNK and Konami joining. Oh yeah, and Joker.
That would be cool. I’ve never played one of the PXZ games. It’s unfortunate that Elma missed her chance for that one too... That said, I heard that the team responsible for making the PXZ games disbanded a couple years ago. 😢

I suspect that Monolith Soft’s next game is Xenoblade 3. Takahashi did say that they are currently focused on expanding the series’ brand image. Xenoblade 2 sold over 2 million copies, the best the entire Xeno series has done yet. I think following up with Xenoblade 3 makes the most logical sense from my perspective. After that, they can finally bring over X and then follow up with XCX2.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That would be cool. I’ve never played one of the PXZ games. It’s unfortunate that Elma missed her chance for that one too... That said, I heard that the team responsible for making the PXZ games disbanded a couple years ago. 😢

I suspect that Monolith Soft’s next game is Xenoblade 3. Takahashi did say that they are currently focused on expanding the series’ brand image. Xenoblade 2 sold over 2 million copies, the best the entire Xeno series has done yet. I think following up with Xenoblade 3 makes the most logical sense from my perspective. After that, they can finally bring over X and then follow up with XCX2.
If I’m not mistaken it was just the creators that left. And Banpresto who helped out a lot. But the producer and Monolith are still interested

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
If I’m not mistaken it was just the creators that left. And Banpresto who helped out a lot. But the producer and Monolith are still interested
That’s what I meant. I don’t recall Monolith Soft saying they would be interested in continuing the series. Do you have a link for that?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That’s what I meant. I don’t recall Monolith Soft saying they would be interested in continuing the series. Do you have a link for that?
Last thing we officially heard of a potential PXZ3 was Bandai Namco's Katsuhiro Harada on Twitter saying he would talk to the series producer about it just short of a year ago. But we don't know if anything came of that. With said producer, Kensuke Tsukanaka, saying, as u/VirionTheGallant pointed out, he wanted the series to continue back in 2016.

This said, the studio behind the games, Monolith Soft, has been very busy as of late. If their hiring pages are any indication, their Tokyo branch is currently split between 3 major projects. With them preceding Harada's tweet. The hiring page for the action game going up in 2017, Tetsuya Takahashi's team's new RPG project going up in 2018, and the Zelda specific one in early 2019. While, their Kyoto branch is assisting with Nintendo EPD's games, as per usual. As well, the creators of the games, Soichiro Morizumi and Koji I****ani, left the company in 2017. Though it should be noted, Morizumi continues to show love for the serieson his Twitter account.

In addition to that info, Banpresto, who worked with Monolith on the series, no longer exists as an entity. Having been merged with Bandai Spirits last year. And from what I had heard, a lot of their talent left following the merger.

In summary, a new Project X Zone title is not likely currently in development. Though, Harada's comment does make me hope the series could come back some day.
From here

also Kamiya regretted not letting Bayonetta be Dante’s partner in 2 so she’s a lock for 3 if it happens

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
From here

also Kamiya regretted not letting Bayonetta be Dante’s partner in 2 so she’s a lock for 3 if it happens
Thanks for this, but I’m not seeing anything that says Monolith Soft wants to continue making PXZ games. As you said, all of the creative members have left Monolith Soft, so I doubt there is anyone else at the studio who is interested in making more PXZ games.

Still, I hope you’ll get your wish someday.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Thanks for this, but I’m not seeing anything that says Monolith Soft wants to continue making PXZ games. As you said, all of the creative members have left Monolith Soft, so I doubt there is anyone else at the studio who is interested in making more PXZ games.

Still, I hope you’ll get your wish someday.
Kensuke is with Monolith

they develop the games, they just get the consent of Sega, Capcom, Bamco and anyone else to use their characters

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As far as I’m concerned, he’s not affiliated with Monolith Soft.
Hmm, technically you’re right, Morizumi was with monolith soft and he left.

however, it’s still up to Kensuke and I’m sure Monolith Soft’s new team(s) will do the work if commissioned

If I remember, another JRPG series I like, Star Ocean, had its lead programmer leave tri-Ace... before the fifth game. Granted the fifth game was a bit of a let down compared to the others but continuing is still possible in this case. Who knows, it may even be better with how Monolith is expanding

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Tbh it kinda looks a bit weird seeing her true form with a normal human skin tone... the paleness of her in game true form emphasizes her alien-ness better, esp since it complements her eyes like that

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
It was specifically for Europe

Though it could be just a rerelease for all regions. Thugstas did say at least one Monolith Soft game was planned

...actually never mind I just found out Thugstas was banned. Meaning his sources were likely bogus. I’m PISSED OFF NOW.
Europe never got Baiten Kaitos so this is more likely to be something than most trademarks.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
It was specifically for Europe

Though it could be just a rerelease for all regions. Thugstas did say at least one Monolith Soft game was planned
Not only was Baten Kaitos Origins not released in Europe, but it's also a game published by Nintendo. So, for Bandai Namco to renew the trademark is all the more interesting because it means that there are some plans for the game be it a re-released or an enhanced remaster. I think it's the latter especially considering what a transformative job Monolith Soft has achieved with Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Not only was Baten Kaitos Origins not released in Europe, but it's also a game published by Nintendo. So, for Bandai Namco to renew the trademark is all the more interesting because it means that there are some plans for the game be it a re-released or an enhanced remaster. I think it's the latter especially considering what a transformative job Monolith Soft has achieved with Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition.
Then again, the trademark for Xenosaga episode 3 was renewed in 2018 and we still have yet to see anything come of it

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400

Have you seen this?

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Have you seen this?
I've heard about it myself. It should be noted that there were some new trademarks registered for Baten Kaitos here in Europe (since it apparently never released here before), so it might be for that. But if it's really for a new Xenoblade game. . . gotta say, Monolith Soft making (presumably) a Xenoblade 3 before following up on X, let alone actually porting it to Switch isn't gonna make a good first impression of 3 for me.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I've heard about it myself. It should be noted that there were some new trademarks registered for Baten Kaitos here in Europe (since it apparently never released here before), so it might be for that. But if it's really for a new Xenoblade game. . . gotta say, Monolith Soft making (presumably) a Xenoblade 3 before following up on X, let alone actually porting it to Switch isn't gonna make a good first impression of 3 for me.
Isn't that a bit of a trend for you? Bad first impression of the new Xenoblade game? Or am I remembering that wrong?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What if Xenoblade Warriors?

it would ALSO double as Hiroyuki Sawano’s secret project. Just sayin

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I would totally buy a Xenoblade Warriors. I love both franchises and the Warriors spin-offs have been great for the most part. Persona 5 Strikers is amazing so far.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I would totally buy a Xenoblade Warriors. I love both franchises and the Warriors spin-offs have been great for the most part. Persona 5 Strikers is amazing so far.
What if that’s it?

like how AOC is apparently a segue between BOTW 1 and 2 or something. The tweet thread also included the new IP but I’m obviously not posting this here

what if THIS is also Caitlin Glass’s NDA?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Isn't that a bit of a trend for you? Bad first impression of the new Xenoblade game? Or am I remembering that wrong?
I mean, yeah, you're not wrong on that. Original Xenoblade, I didn't really think much of it until I took a chance, got it and actually played it. X, I didn't like the more desatured look compared to the first game, and was somewhat skeptical until they showed that Nopon were in the game. 2, didn't (and still don't) like the character designs, but after playing it I somewhat enjoyed it until the whole experience had time to sink in and I did all the content. But if 3 really is already next, there'll be an underlying bitterness for me regarding X to the whole thing, no matter how much I'll actually like it.

Eh, I know that the developers of the Warriors games said that they're interested in doing a Xenoblade Warriors, but I kinda doubt that the series is already at a point already where Nintendo would be willing to invest in a spin-off. After all, Fire Emblem Warriors only happened after Awakening and Fates solidified that series' boom, and we have yet to even see a spin-off for Splatoon, which is bigger than both Xenoblade and FE.

Anyway, I just saw this, and figured it might be worth sharing:

I'm still not fully behind SamusHunter's credibility as a leaker, but if the info they have on Monolith Soft is true, that recording session could also be for the new IP.

Edit: Aaaand :ultgreninja:'d.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean, yeah, you're not wrong on that. Original Xenoblade, I didn't really think much of it until I took a chance, got it and actually played it. X, I didn't like the more desatured look compared to the first game, and was somewhat skeptical until they showed that Nopon were in the game. 2, didn't (and still don't) like the character designs, but after playing it I somewhat enjoyed it until the whole experience had time to sink in and I did all the content. But if 3 really is already next, there'll be an underlying bitterness for me regarding X to the whole thing, no matter how much I'll actually like it.

Eh, I know that the developers of the Warriors games said that they're interested in doing a Xenoblade Warriors, but I kinda doubt that the series is already at a point already where Nintendo would be willing to invest in a spin-off. After all, Fire Emblem Warriors only happened after Awakening and Fates solidified that series' boom, and we have yet to even see a spin-off for Splatoon, which is bigger than both Xenoblade and FE.

Anyway, I just saw this, and figured it might be worth sharing:

I'm still not fully behind SamusHunter's credibility as a leaker, but if the info they have on Monolith Soft is true, that recording session could also be for the new IP.
Kinda beat you to posting those tweets lmao

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Re: Splatoon - it really IS best it gets mainline games and any “spinoffs” like Octo Expansion be relegated to DLC. Xenoblade... at this point I think it could use a spin-off. Heck, Torna’s our first literal prequel

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Dude, a Xenoblade Warriors in the same or a similar way like P5 Strikers...yes please! I finished Strikers a week ago and that game was sooo good.
Definitely my favorite of the Warriors spin-offs i've played (i still need to play Age of Calamity...and Breath of the Wild to be honest...)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh, wow, this thread has grown a lot since I popped in last. Good to see that people are still passionate about Elma and XCX more broadly.
X is a different game from 2, after all. The Rex thread (and Team Lora thread) pretty much died after Pythra

I just want X to get more attention after Elma’s cameo in 2

Top Bottom