• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Pyra/Mythra's implementation did make me think that an Elma moveset could work where her tilts and jabs are the same basic animation, but using her current equipped weapon (ie dual guns or dual swords). Dual guns have the Bayonetta effect of dealing damage in line of sight but no knockback except on the bayonets of the pistols. Dual swords obviously have swordy range. Her jab is a basic attack that can be used while moving, like an autoattack. Then her actual specials and smashes are different and based off arts in-game.
That also makes me think that Kirby could have two different hats for Elma - one for her twin swords and the other for her twin guns.

B move for Twin Swords - either Shadowstrike or Hundred Shells
B move for Twin Guns - either Executioner or Sliding Slinger

omg I need that tho

ˢʷᶦᵈᶦⁿ ˢʷᶦⁿᵍᵃʰ

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
if you're still desperate for anything Xenoblade X related, it might be worth throwing a suggestion for Elma at Nendoroid Select 2021
i wouldn't bother suggesting it here specifically if it wasn't for these doodles that Elma's character designer Kunihiko Tanaka posted on Twitter way back

I love these so much
I uh... kinda did that the moment I saw that form l m a o

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I'm listening to source gamings "Good Morning-Livestream" and some mentioned the lack of X-content (even in base game).

Some even saw Elma as a logical base game choice. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm listening to source gamings "Good Morning-Livestream" and some mentioned the lack of X-content (even in base game).

Some even saw Elma as a logical base game choice. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that.
Maybe for a hypothetical Ultimate Deluxe for a more powerful Switch... if X DE is out by then too which I expect it will. Maybe X DE will be for the new Switch too

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Icana

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv73tvEfCPc

The voice of Pyra/Mythra reacted to her character's Smash reveal. Skye Bennet says she was sitting on this for potentially 6-7 months, maybe less.

I've been away from the gaming scene for a very long time (most of last year after Min Min's reveal) so there is a lot for me to catch up on. Has Caitlynn Glass's NDA role she was teasing ways back been revealed yet?

Also, I always wondered if Hiroyuki Sawano's music complicates the music situation any for Smash Bros, since he seems to retain or at least share the rights to all the music he creates. X related songs such as Uncontrollable have been present in his NZK live concerts, and his stuff used to be notorious for being copyright striked when people posted his stuff on youtube without permission from Sony Music or whoever. That said, I had this discussion with Sawano Discord members before and the consensus was this theoretically shouldn't pose a problem for Nintendo. But who really knows outside the suits.

As for Elma's hopes here, I guess the last hope would be to mold your minds into seeing Xenoblade Chronicles X as a separate series from the other 2 Xenoblade games. Not even as a spin-off, but as an entirely different series that would require its own series icon (an X instead of the Monado or Blade). The fact that no X content came with Prya/Mythra maybe lends Elma, or any potential X character, some hope yet. Maybe an X-2 is coming and the protagonist of that game could be a Smash newcomer, similar to Byleth's inclusion (a character in development from a game not yet released). Maybe the series is being considered for a brand change, considering it wasn't really meant to be a Xenoblade sequel or spin-off to begin with. It took the name for a more familiar market branding.

This was the 2013 trailer for the game:
Wii U - New title developed by MONOLITH SOFTWARE INC. Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APWTJMyM4qg

They may have considered calling it XenoCross or something Xeno related, but settled for Xenoblade after Shulk's game resonated so well with players who had the opportunity to play the once Japanese exclusive JRPG that had a Operation Rainfall to have it sold state-side exclusively from GameStop. The branding had built recognition from that. Unfortunately, it also built certain expectations, so switching to a Sawano OST and a Scifi setting with a more open gameplay build over a linear story based one led to "fan" division over its direction.

That all said, now that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a thing, if an X-2 were to happen, I think people will be far more accepting this time of the game being different and separate, yet similar at the same time to the traditional Xenoblade series.

So yeah, as unlikely as it seems, maybe it's yet possible to hold onto some hope yet.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv73tvEfCPc

The voice of Pyra/Mythra reacted to her character's Smash reveal. Skye Bennet says she was sitting on this for potentially 6-7 months, maybe less.

I've been away from the gaming scene for a very long time (most of last year after Min Min's reveal) so there is a lot for me to catch up on. Has Caitlynn Glass's NDA role she was teasing ways back been revealed yet?

Also, I always wondered if Hiroyuki Sawano's music complicates the music situation any for Smash Bros, since he seems to retain or at least share the rights to all the music he creates. X related songs such as Uncontrollable have been present in his NZK live concerts, and his stuff used to be notorious for being copyright striked when people posted his stuff on youtube without permission from Sony Music or whoever. That said, I had this discussion with Sawano Discord members before and the consensus was this theoretically shouldn't pose a problem for Nintendo. But who really knows outside the suits.

As for Elma's hopes here, I guess the last hope would be to mold your minds into seeing Xenoblade Chronicles X as a separate series from the other 2 Xenoblade games. Not even as a spin-off, but as an entirely different series that would require it's own series icon (an X instead of the Monado or Blade). The fact that no X content came with Prya/Mythra maybe lends Elma, or any potential X character, some hope yet. Maybe an X-2 is coming and the protagonist of that game could be a Smash newcomer, similar to Byleth's inclusion (a character in development from a game not yet released). Maybe the series is being considered for a brand change, considering it wasn't really meant to be a Xenoblade sequel or spin-off to begin with. It took the name for a more familiar market branding.

This was the 2013 trailer for the game:
Wii U - New title developed by MONOLITH SOFTWARE INC. Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APWTJMyM4qg

They may have considered calling it XenoCross or something Xeno related, but settled for Xenoblade after Shulk's game resonated so well with players who had the opportunity to play the once Japanese exclusive JRPG that had a Operation Rainfall to have it sold state-side exclusively from GameStop. The branding had built recognition from that. Unfortunately, it also built certain expectations, so switching to a Sawano OST and a Scifi setting with a more open gameplay build over a linear story based one led to "fan" division over it's direction.

That all said, now that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a thing, if an X-2 were to happen, I think people will be far more accepting this time of the game being different and separate, yet similar at the same time to the traditional Xenoblade series.

So yeah, as unlikely as it seems, maybe it's yet possible to hold onto some hope yet.
I have been thinking, that if Elma were to have her own Spirit Board, would she perhaps use the “X” instead of the Monado? You pretty much validated my theory with that

would that be nevertheless possible?

as for X-2, it’s without a doubt Elma would be the protagonist as it ended on a sequel hook for a direct continuation

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
As for Elma's hopes here, I guess the last hope would be to mold your minds into seeing Xenoblade Chronicles X as a separate series from the other 2 Xenoblade games. Not even as a spin-off, but as an entirely different series that would require its own series icon (an X instead of the Monado or Blade). The fact that no X content came with Prya/Mythra maybe lends Elma, or any potential X character, some hope yet. Maybe an X-2 is coming and the protagonist of that game could be a Smash newcomer, similar to Byleth's inclusion (a character in development from a game not yet released). Maybe the series is being considered for a brand change, considering it wasn't really meant to be a Xenoblade sequel or spin-off to begin with. It took the name for a more familiar market branding.

They may have considered calling it XenoCross or something Xeno related, but settled for Xenoblade after Shulk's game resonated so well with players who had the opportunity to play the once Japanese exclusive JRPG that had a Operation Rainfall to have it sold state-side exclusively from GameStop. The branding had built recognition from that. Unfortunately, it also built certain expectations, so switching to a Sawano OST and a Scifi setting with a more open gameplay build over a linear story based one led to "fan" division over its direction.
Yeah, part of me wishes that Xenoblade X just wasn’t Xenoblade X. Just so people would have to judge the game on its own terms. Not having to deal with constant “I’m a huge Xenoblade fan, I’ve played all of them except the weird Wii U one”/“How are they all connected?” discussion points would be nice too. But Xeno doesn’t mean anything other than “Takahashi made it and also wanted to call it Xeno instead of Soma Bringer 2: Electric Boogaloo”, so it’s more likely the brand name will continue to not really mean anything in particular.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
It was more likely to me for an anime role. The tweets where she mentioned the nda were at Flower Mound, Texas. The same place where Funimation's headquarters are in.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It was more likely to me for an anime role. The tweets where she mentioned the nda were at Flower Mound, Texas. The same place where Funimation's headquarters are in.
You’d think she’d have revealed it by now though... all these VOs make big announcements when the embargo’s lifted

and what of Hiroyuki Sawano’s secret project? I’m guessing that’s still unknown to this day too

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
You’d think she’d have revealed it by now though...

and what of Hiroyuki Sawano’s secret project? I’m guessing that’s still unknown to this day too
Most of his works have been for anime, television, or collabs. Maybe it was something related to that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Most of his works have been for anime, television, or collabs. Maybe it was something related to that.
He did record a song for League of Legends in 2019, “Light and Shadow” but confirmed on his Twitter that that was not the secret project

aside from that idk what else it could be

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
You’d think she’d have revealed it by now though... all these VOs make big announcements when the embargo’s lifted

I'm starting to think the role really was that anime she mentioned...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm starting to think the role really was that anime she mentioned...
Iirc it was actually the FMA live action movie English dub

the fact she said “I don’t know! Maybe...” before that is a bit weird tho

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Iirc it was actually the FMA live action movie English dub

the fact she said “I don’t know! Maybe...” before that is a bit weird tho
I thought she said she didn't remember. Which was partially why I didn't think it was a Smash hint because... you know.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Super Switch...

We may be getting it sooner than expected. XCXDE would be a perfect fit for it
You're right, XCXDE would be the perfect showcase for a Switch Advance. Smart for Nintendo to transition over to the advanced Nintendo Switch variant.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Just a little something I want to share with you guys:

I was playing XCX today after a long time. I didn’t really do anything specific, just flying around in the skell, exploring the environment. I ended up in Sylvalum and again didn’t do much. Fly around, fight some monsters I accidently squashed with the skell (y’know, the usual). Then I found a cave which I apparently never discovered before. It wasn’t anything special. Enemies where at around lv. 40 but it was still nice to find something new in this game after such a long time.

Hard to believe that it came out almost 6 years ago.

God, I want this game on the switch so bad.

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324

I was playing XCX today after a long time. I didn’t really do anything specific, just flying around in the skell, exploring the environment. I ended up in Sylvalum and again didn’t do much. Fly around, fight some monsters I accidently squashed with the skell (y’know, the usual). Then I found a cave which I apparently never discovered before. It wasn’t anything special. Enemies where at around lv. 40 but it was still nice to find something new in this game after such a long time.

meh 6 years isn't too long of a time. I hope we get a switch port so I can finally play this game. Also are you in the Akira Howard thread Jocario? I see you have an Akira avatar

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
meh 6 years isn't too long of a time. I hope we get a switch port so I can finally play this game. Also are you in the Akira Howard thread Jocario? I see you have an Akira avatar
6 years is a long time for me .____.

And yes I was in the Akira Howard thread but I think only briefly.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

I've also been popping X into my Wii U on and off again recently. Just doing some squad tasks/missions, exploring the world, taking some screenshots, and filling out my list of holo figures for the various enemy types. It's honestly a shame that there's no good online listing for what all the figures actually are, in order of how they are listed. . .

Speaking of that cave though, was that the one in the canyon just north of the lake that the Zu Pharg crashs into, by any chance? I still remember that one eluding me well into my second playthrough.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I've also been popping X into my Wii U on and off again recently. Just doing some squad tasks/missions, exploring the world, taking some screenshots, and filling out my list of holo figures for the various enemy types. It's honestly a shame that there's no good online listing for what all the figures actually are, in order of how they are listed. . .

Speaking of that cave though, was that the one in the canyon just north of the lake that the Zu Pharg crashs into, by any chance? I still remember that one eluding me well into my second playthrough.
That cave was directly at FrontierNav Site 416. If you use quick travel you get there directly.
Weird that I never discovered this one.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey so

if you follow the Project X Zone 3 ideas thread, I included Elma with Pythra as a duo in my roster concept. Yes Rex gets shafted AGAIN lmao I may come up with a move set later. Also I liked another person’s T-elos & Elma duo idea, as I guess the “dark counterpart” to KOS-MOS & Fiora.

the quoted post also shows the roster if you access the thread it’s in:
aight i think im for the most part 100% satisfied with this roster

anyway, the interactions I wanted to see (various):

Battle
Joker, Yu and Aigis if KOS-MOS & Aigis assist Joker & Yu. throw Tatsuya & Maya in there too
Estellise (ToV) and Estelle (Trails) if Flynn/Estellise and Estelle/Rean are in the same battle, like one assisting the other
Shulk & Fiora with Elma & Pythra
Dante & Bayonetta - they're already a duo here, but your basic "Oh you kill angels/demons? Cool, I've fought em too" (HAS Dante fought angels tho?)
Captain Falcon & Terry Bogard with Mai, Haohmaru & Nakoruru, Chrom & Lucina (reference to Smash), Ryu & Ken (moreso on Terry's part than Falcon's), Samus, Min Min, and Byleth & Officer Howard
Chrom & Lucina with Shulk & Fiora (Lucina and Fiora are besties you can't convince me otherwise), Byleth & Officer Howard, Pit & Palutena, Min Min, Dark Pit, and Elma & Pythra
Tatsuya & Maya with Phoenix & Maya (English version joke only)
Pearl & Marina with ANY duo that has at least one Nintendo character, or Min Min, Dark Pit or Samus
Simon & Richter with Alucard
Neku with Cloud
Any Tales characters with each other
Neku & Beat with Beat (JSR)
2B & 9S with A2. In fact, KOS-MOS, X, Zero, Alisa Bosconovitch and Aigis can interact with them too cuz androids. Fiora's a cyborg, she doesn't count

Story
Lucina and Naoto (NPC) interacting based on the fact they've had to pretend to be boys, for differing reasons
Captain Falcon and Dunban (NPC) - stealth VO joke as they have the same VO
Snake and Marco interacting at one point, no way for them to interact after a battle as they're both Solos
Chris calling Jill the Master of Unlocking at one point and Jill being pissed, just like when he tried to make a Jill Sandwich joke
Frank West photographing basically everyone and giving various reactions just like in the first game
Shulk & Fiora mistaking Tatsu for Riki, and Pyra/Mythra mistaking him for Tora
Obligatory Segata Sanshiro telling everyone, EVERYONE, to play the Sega Saturn. Even Rathalos who's a &%#$ing DRAGON.
Typical villains taunting the heroes of their same series-type interactions just like in games past
T-elos and Sephiroth's interactions are total ship teases. NO I DON'T SHIP THEM WHATEVER DO YOU MEAN. hides her Sephlos fanfiction

New Game Plus only (SPOILERS for my concept)

T-elos & Sephiroth interact with Cloud & Tifa, KOS-MOS & Aigis, and fellow NG+ only unit Albert Wesker (solo) after battles. Wesker interacts with Chris & Jill if he's paired with them. Nobody else. No story interactions as their playable variants are technically non-canon. To distinguish them from their story counterparts, T-elos has her XC2 appearance, Sephiroth is shirtless, and Wesker has his RE0 design (enemy variant has RE5 design)

and those are just a few notable ones i could think of. I think the best part of PXZ is the character interactions
I kinda want that to happen if Elma cannot get into Smash. The creators of PXZ left, but I do believe the producer is still there and can even take it in new directions. It’s a way my MWs can kinda be in Smash without actually being IN it thanks to the character overlap you know?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
That cave was directly at FrontierNav Site 416. If you use quick travel you get there directly.
Weird that I never discovered this one.
Hmm. . . ah, that'd be the Den of the Dead. Has a tyrant in it. To be fair, that's a cave that's rather easy to miss. The one I was talking about is Sandsprint Cavity, an Unexplored Territory just south of FN Site 406

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
The one I was talking about is Sandsprint Cavity, an Unexplored Territory just south of FN Site 406
I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Btw last time I played I nearly thought something was wrong with my game. I used fast travel and the map didn’t load for like a minute (the map and the enemies were invisible). Everything did load in the end and all was okay but, dude…don’t scare me like that, game. That reminded me of that one time I was playing Tales of Symphonia and the game suddenly crashed in between maps.

Another reason for a switch port. My Wii U and the game disc won’t live forever (btw where is my Symphonia port for switch, namco?).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Tbh that’s why cartridges are the best media the Switch can use. You won’t have worry about scratches or disk rot

I wonder if many of my PS2 games will still play... 😬

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Tbh that’s why cartridges are the best media the Switch can use. You won’t have worry about scratches or disk rot

I wonder if many of my PS2 games will still play... 😬
Same with me and my gamecube games. I'm legit afraid to play F Zero GX because my game can't load certain levels anymore.
And don't even get me started on some of my old PS1 games. :crying:

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Same with me and my gamecube games. I'm legit afraid to play F Zero GX because my game can't load certain levels anymore.
And don't even get me started on some of my old PS1 games. :crying:
I definitely recommend ripping and backing up your Gamecube discs with a modded Wii if you can. Super easy to do, and honestly necessary with how Nintendo seems to ignore most of their titles from that era. I know you can rip your PS1/2 games too but I haven't taken the time to do it myself yet.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I definitely recommend ripping and backing up your Gamecube discs with a modded Wii if you can. Super easy to do, and honestly necessary with how Nintendo seems to ignore most of their titles from that era. I know you can rip your PS1/2 games too but I haven't taken the time to do it myself yet.
And this is also why I’m a huge advocate for media preservation.

I don’t know if I can say anymore cause I’m pretty sure piracy discussion is discouraged here, but if it’s no longer legally available... that’s why it sucks that Emuparadise had to elaborately hide their stuff

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
IMO media companies should have the responsibility to make a reasonable effort to keep their media available, and if they don't for long enough they should lose the rights to it. Of course companies like Nintendo and Disney with tons of money and lawyers would never let that happen.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Then you got the PS3/PSP/Vita PSNs rumored to shut down in July. Sony hasn’t officially confirmed it yet but I can see it happening

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Then you got the PS3/PSP/Vita PSNs rumored to shut down in July. Sony hasn’t officially confirmed it yet but I can see it happening
Yeah, RIP Xenogears unless you want to pay those ridiculous aftermarket prices. I know emulation is a legal gray area but I take media preservation very seriously. I figured I'd at least remind people that they have some options. IMO the onus is on companies like Nintendo to make their legacy content reasonably easy to access, so in the absence of that, I have no problem with finding workarounds. Especially if it's a game I've already purchased.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I’m not going to predict anything but…XCX not getting any music and only a handful of spirits in base game. Just like Arms. And then came Min Min.
I mean…come on! It would fit so well!

Top Bottom