• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
A Gen 8 Pokemon has already been disconfirmed for FP2 due to that spirit event.
I'm not an advocate for a Gen VIII Pokemon in FP2, but I don't think you can take that spirit event as a hard disconfirmation. None of those Pokemon would have worked as fighters, anyway. There's dozens of other SW/SH Pokemon they could pull for another spirit event.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So besides all of this:

So with the rumor about Hero, Sephiroth, and Steve being planned all the way back since base game right here:

And Elma's actress talking about a secret project she couldn't discuss around the same time that leak up above popped up on the Internet on 5chan, the timeline adds up if they were also planning to add another Xenoblade rep all the way back then.

What is that? Xenoblade X music is missing from the game?! And what is that? Byleth, Min Min, and Sephiroth brought MIA content from their series with them in their Challenger Packs?!

No. I remember Bill Trinen said it.
What else does Elma have in her favor? I'm all for ears.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So besides all of this:

What else does Elma have in her favor? I'm all for ears.
Aside from Caitlin Glass’s still unknown NDA, Elma getting a full ass trailer for Xenoblade 2 while Shulk and Fiora didn’t, and Hiroyuki Sawano’s still unknown project (I doubt it was the one song he recorded for LoL) idk much else

aside from Monolith saying X would be expensive to port, but since XCDE exceeded sales expectations... at the very least the interest is there

OH. also that EU eshop article that’s for XC1 and 2 and oh so casually drops the fact that Elma’s in the expansion pass for 2 and oh look guess what game she’s from? That’s right, Xenoblade X!

Sigman

Smash Cadet
Hiroyuki Sawano’s still unknown project (I doubt it was the one song he recorded for LoL) idk much else
Sawano has indicated that it wasn't.
Sawano mentioned that the Light & Shadow song was recorded in July 2019.

He has yet to reference whatever this is suppose to be:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just to confirm

Elma does NOT have a profile picture for the player cards in Smash right?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Friend icon - SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki (ssbwiki.com)

No she doesn't. you can check in the Smash ultimate section, and it will give you the option to see the full list of characters with Icons
Hmmm...

people are saying the lack of a spirited character’s pic means they’ll be playable later

they use this in Rex’s favor even though he’s also a costume and Pyra/Mythra have pfps. Correct me if I’m wrong but I also think Min Min lacked a PFP before becoming playable.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Hmmm...

people are saying the lack of a spirited character’s pic means they’ll be playable later

they use this in Rex’s favor even though he’s also a costume and Pyra/Mythra have pfps. Correct me if I’m wrong but I also think Min Min lacked a PFP before becoming playable.
I don't believe Min-Min had a PFP. I think only Spring man did because he was an Assist

There's actually very few Spirit-only characters that have PFP's, especially if they aren't related to a franchise that had a Playable character. In any case, I do think this theory would benefit Elma more than it does Rex, since Pyra and Mythera are PFPs, while Nothing from Xenoblade X is a PFP. That's if you also believe in the theory as well

Last edited:

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Smash Tag icons typically favor Spirits who are Legendary, hence there being icons for all four Legendary Xenoblade Spirits and only one for anything below that (aka Dunban who has the privilege of participating in Shulk's Final Smash). Had Elma been one rank higher she almost surely would have gotten one.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Smash Tag icons typically favor Spirits who are Legendary, hence there being icons for all four Legendary Xenoblade Spirits and only one for anything below that (aka Dunban who has the privilege of participating in Shulk's Final Smash). Had Elma been one rank higher she almost surely would have gotten one.
Out of curiosity are there any legendaries who do NOT have icons?

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
There's certainly plenty of icons based on 0-3 star spirits, though 4 stars seem prioritised. In terms of spirits being upgraded to playable, so far it's only been 1 3 star. Not sure any of that means anything though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m pretty sure at the very least Black Shadow from F-Zero, who’s a Legendary Spirit, doesn’t have a pfp

not that I’m counting on him to be playable cause haha... looks at how F-Zero hasn’t had a game since the 2000s

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Was Min Min a Primary Spirit? I always felt like those Spirits were more likely to get promoted.
Elma’s a Primary too. I think Primary Spirits are more likely to become playable than Support ones

what rank was Min Min, I think she was Ace.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Can I have a refresher on what's going in Elma's favor?

Was thinking of doing her missions in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to get my mind refreshed with her.
Short version:
  • Caitlin Glass’s NDA is still unknown
  • Elma is one of the few base game Spirits to not have a Smash player card PFP. Min Min also didn't before she became playable
  • Min Min brought missing content from ARMS including music (in base game all we had was the Spring Man Assist Trophy, two costumes and five spirits)
  • Byleth brought content from Fire Emblem Three Houses including music. 3H is counted as a separate entry in the series, its own “world” if you will
  • Sephiroth included more FF7 music and spirits which weren’t in base. Keep in mind the FF7 music in the base game was technically brought over from 4, not introduced in Ult
  • Hiroyuki Sawano worked on a secret project in early 2018, around the same time Yoko Shimomura revealed she was working on Smash. Sawano confirmed the song he composed for League of Legends, “Light and Shadow” was composed in 2019 and therefore NOT the secret project
  • No X music in base game while 2 has music. Worked out in ARMS’s favor down the line
  • Shulk, Fiora and Elma appear as guest Blades in Xenoblade 2’s expansion pass but only Elma got the full blown hype trailer treatment, complete with Uncontrollable
  • Bill Trinen saying “...the Xenoblade characters.” Plural.
  • That EU Switch news article for the Xenoblade series on Switch (DE, 2 and Torna) which also mentions the expansion pass and casually reminds you that yes, Xenoblade Chronicles X exists

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Short version:
  • Elma is one of the few base game Spirits to not have a Smash player card PFP. Min Min also didn't before she became playable
  • Min Min brought missing content from ARMS including music (in base game all we had was the Spring Man Assist Trophy, two costumes and five spirits)
  • Byleth brought content from Fire Emblem Three Houses including music. 3H is counted as a separate entry in the series, its own “world” if you will
  • Sephiroth included more FF7 music and spirits which weren’t in base. Keep in mind the FF7 music in the base game was technically brought over from 4, not introduced in Ult
  • Hiroyuki Sawano worked on a secret project in early 2018, around the same time Yoko Shimomura revealed she was working on Smash. Sawano confirmed the song he composed for League of Legends, “Light and Shadow” was composed in 2019 and therefore NOT the secret project
  • No X music in base game while 2 has music. Worked out in ARMS’s favor down the line
  • Shulk, Fiora and Elma appear as guest Blades in Xenoblade 2’s expansion pass but only Elma got the full blown hype trailer treatment, complete with Uncontrollable
  • That EU Switch news article for the Xenoblade series on Switch (DE, 2 and Torna) which also mentions the expansion pass and casually reminds you that yes, Xenoblade Chronicles X exists
Hmm, this is all some interesting stuff, considering Sakurai said Xenoblade characters missed out on the base game due to timing, I'm wondering if Elma was on the initial project plan for the game, but was scrapped for the base game simply because the timing wasn't in her favor with no recent releases related to X, and then moved to DLC where the timing would be better for her, as Tetsuya Takahashi has expressed interest in continuing X on Switch, Monolith Soft's job listing with them having a larger project in the works (Which could either be a X port or a full sequel both of which would require a lot of manpower), and Elma's role in Xenoblade 2 sort of setting her up for something bigger with her being used to familiarize players with her...

Hmm, seems like there's a lot in her favor...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hmm, this is all some interesting stuff, considering Sakurai said Xenoblade characters missed out on the base game due to timing, I'm wondering if Elma was on the initial project plan for the game, but was scrapped for the base game simply because the timing wasn't in her favor with no recent releases related to X, and then moved to DLC where the timing would be better for her, as Tetsuya Takahashi has expressed interest in continuing X on Switch, Monolith Soft's job listing with them having a larger project in the works (Which could either be a X port or a full sequel both of which would require a lot of manpower), and Elma's role in Xenoblade 2 sort of setting her up for something bigger with her being used to familiarize players with her...

Hmm, seems like there's a lot in her favor...
They did say a X port would be expensive... perhaps they’d need to hire more manpower for it...?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
They did say a X port would be expensive... perhaps they’d need to hire more manpower for it...?
Yeah perhaps, the game would need a lot of reworking for Switch as font size was a big issue with the original release and things such as the Gamepad functionality would need to be modified or streamlined for the Nintendo Switch, I also think they'd want to rework the online features as if I recall there were things they wanted to do with that they couldn't do due to monetary restraints with the original release.

So yeah, a surprising amount of work would need to be done with a Switch port, but it's still a strong possibility, as well as the possibility of a sequel which is very strong too considering the game's original ending and the various plotholes in the game that could possibly at least see some sort of halfway resolution in a epilogue ala Torna and Future Connected (I need answers Monolith damnit).

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Short version:
Bookmarking this to save for reference.

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
Yeah... those Data Packs were 32GB ALONE! On top of the Already MASSIVE File Size. Yeah, I think that's an issue that needs to be addressed if X ever gets a Port.
Screenshot 2021-01-20 120058.png

Don't ask me how I got this

It's actually only like 10 GB, which is essentially half of X's file size (around 22 GB or so from what I gathered from a quick google search). Deginitely huge, but not THAT huge. For sure a lot smaller than the largest game on the switch. Plus it's not like the data packs are adding onto the original game's file size. It's only really needed for people who run the game off of the disc so that they can ease load times by having the assets loaded straight from the Wii U's storage rather than the disk. The problem is immediately solved if you just have the game digitally.

I feel like they could definitely fit X on a cartridge if they were able to do it with Witcher 3.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Short version:
Oh! I forgot a key point!

it was revealed Steve/Alex were in talks for at least 5 years, which explains why Vergeben said Minecraft content as far back as base game. Didn’t happen then, but instead two DLC season passes later. Proof that characters could be worked on for that long, especially given Steve/Alex’s gimmick

7NATOR

Smash Master
Question, but just as a refresher, is Xenoblade Chronicles X supposed to be it's own Sub-series that is separate from Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2, hence the
"X" in the name?

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Question, but just as a refresher, is Xenoblade Chronicles X supposed to be it's own Sub-series that is separate from Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2, hence the
"X" in the name?
Honestly? Too early to tell. Prior to 2's DLC I would have said that yes, it is its own sub-series, but after how Elma was treated along with the other Xeno series protagonists (that is to say, also KOS-MOS), as well as some statements by Takahashi in interviews, I'm not so sure anymore. As of right now, I think we can only wait and see how anything X is treated in the future, though I'm leaning towards it not being its own sub-series anymore.

Top Bottom