• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
5 years already huh
5 years, huh? Here, have a piece of fanart.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I remember seeing the ads for this game and being uninterested at first. I was even put off by Reggie saying "Metroid fans will enjoy this game" and I was like "Oh No! You're not going to fool me Mr. 'My Body Is Reggie' Nintendo person guy!"

But then after learning a bit more about the game I decided to pick it up because, "Y'know I like Skyrim and the idea of Open World games and I did always want an open world game (an ACTUAL open world game) that takes place on an alien planet." And after this scavenger hunt in my city because literally nowhere had this game in stock I finally found it in Best Buy, I bought it and loved it! Even though it was confusing AF in the beginning, being a newcomer to the Xenoblade franchise at the time, it's now one of my favourite games of all time.

With Elma now being one of my favourite characters and currently second most wanted for Smash!

And one of my favourite soundtracks!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

if it’s Elma... I’ll cry tears of joy. My father passed away this week, and I regret I couldn’t share that joy with him but... at least I’ll be truly super happy for the first time in years.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

if it’s Elma... I’ll cry tears of joy. My father passed away this week, and I regret I couldn’t share that joy with him but... at least I’ll be truly super happy for the first time in years.
I'm so sorry to hear that Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura . I just lost my grandfather to Cardiac Arrest a few weeks ago and my uncle this past Summer to COVID so I feel your pain.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400

Elma-Doom Slayer-Double-Reveal. I stick with it! (not really but it would be nice, if its Elma).

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, since I already tried this in the general speculation thread and it didn't get anyone's attention, I'll try here - can anyone PM a link (and only link) to the character's reveal trailer once that's properly uploaded? I want to go into this reveal as blindly as possible, and there's also no way that I'm gonna stay up from 1AM to 4AM for something that might only disappoint me.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So, since I already tried this in the general speculation thread and it didn't get anyone's attention, I'll try here - can anyone PM a link (and only link) to the character's reveal trailer once that's properly uploaded? I want to go into this reveal as blindly as possible, and there's also no way that I'm gonna stay up from 1AM to 4AM for something that might only disappoint me.
Don't worry bud, I'll PM you the reveal trailer as soon as it's available. I'll put it under spoilers so you can watch it blind.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, looking at the bright side: Sephiroth's addition does feel like he's gonna fill out glaring gaps in Final Fantasy's representation in Smash, seeing as he HAS to come with a Spirit Board, a stage, and music. And since Min Min also already added some sorely missing representation for ARMS. . . hey, that's at least a sliver of hope for us, I'd say, considering what other content is sorely missing.

Last edited:

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
So, looking at the bright side: Sephiroth's addition does feel like he's gonna fill out glaring gaps in Final Fantasy's representation in Smash, seeing as he HAS to come with a Spirit Board, a stage, and music. And since Min Min also already added some sorely missing representation for ARMS. . . hey, that's at least a sliver of hope for us, I'd say, considering what other content is sorely missing.
Super happy to have Sephiroth, and definitely agree, looks more and more like this pass is the continuation of a long term plan for Smash dating back to the original development. Gaps left for ARMS and FF7 in the base game, returning Squaresoft costumes not coming with Hero. And Banjo not having the Steve outfit I think we all expected back then. More and more I'm convinced that this season of content has been planned out for a long while, and while that doesn't necessarily shoot Elma's chances in any specific direction, it does give me more hope that it doesn't come down to '3 final characters'.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Super happy to have Sephiroth, and definitely agree, looks more and more like this pass is the continuation of a long term plan for Smash dating back to the original development. Gaps left for ARMS and FF7 in the base game, returning Squaresoft costumes not coming with Hero. And Banjo not having the Steve outfit I think we all expected back then. More and more I'm convinced that this season of content has been planned out for a long while, and while that doesn't necessarily shoot Elma's chances in any specific direction, it does give me more hope that it doesn't come down to '3 final characters'.
I kinda have a theory that Sephiroth will come not only with FF7 content, but a bunch of more Square Enix content in general. likewise im hoping Elma comes with not just X content, but more content from 2 (music at least and a Blade Nia Spirit), 1 DE, and Torna. Fr no Lora spirit? That needs to be remedied

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
I kinda have a theory that Sephiroth will come not only with FF7 content, but a bunch of more Square Enix content in general. likewise im hoping Elma comes with not just X content, but more content from 2 (music at least and a Blade Nia Spirit), 1 DE, and Torna. Fr no Lora spirit? That needs to be remedied
I'm suspecting Sora and Geno will show up as Mii costumes next week as well as the Chocobo hat.

I'm amused thinking about how similar Kirby's Sephiroth hat might be to an Elma one.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I'm suspecting Sora and Geno will show up as Mii costumes next week as well as the Chocobo hat.

I'm amused thinking about how similar Kirby's Sephiroth hat might be to an Elma one.
I mean, I distinctly remember that the potential of Kirby's Robin hat being too similar to Shulk's was also a point of concern prior to Shulk's announcement and after Robin's in Smash 4, and that turned out well enough.
And that aside, there's already 80 hats in the game. There's bound to be some similar looking ones.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
I mean, I distinctly remember that the potential of Kirby's Robin hat being too similar to Shulk's was also a point of concern prior to Shulk's announcement and after Robin's in Smash 4, and that turned out well enough.
And that aside, there's already 80 hats in the game. There's bound to be some similar looking ones.
Oh I'm not worried, I just think it could be a cute glimpse into the future.

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
Sephiroth looks pretty dope. Definitely not my most wanted character, but I'm still super hyped to play him when he comes out! Still crossing my fingers for Elma to get in eventually, although I kind of doubt it'll happen unless X2 or an X port becomes a thing in the near future.

Unrelated, but I drew Elma the other day. Thought you all might appreciate it.

Limitbreakfull

Smash Rookie
Has anyone else noticed this pass is now filling quotas? Steve = Hero(?)/Avatar, Sephiroth = The Anime Swordsman Villain, Minmin = Neither Hero or Villain but still a "main character." Just food for thought.

I thought maybe Elma could fit this list since she's more of a side character for the player, but the story continually involves her in some way. 🤔 Just a theory. Sakurai could be throwing darts on a board for all we know.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Way I see it, Sephiroth Kirby wouldn’t have his hair but the one wing and the Masamune, kinda like how Shulk Kirby is handled

Elma Kirby would probably have Elma’s hair and the twin guns assuming Neutral B is Sliding Slinger

hecc

now I’m imagining how adorable that would sound

SIDIN SWINGAH~

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Has anyone else noticed this pass is now filling quotas? Steve = Hero(?)/Avatar, Sephiroth = The Anime Swordsman Villain, Minmin = Neither Hero or Villain but still a "main character." Just food for thought.

I thought maybe Elma could fit this list since she's more of a side character for the player, but the story continually involves her in some way. 🤔 Just a theory. Sakurai could be throwing darts on a board for all we know.
Not just that, but the past few DLC characters have been covering empty spaces in Ultimate like:

- Byleth bringing Three Houses content

- Min Min bringing Arms music

- Sephiroth bringing FF Spirits and more music

All 3 of these franchises or games barely had anything next to nothing in base game. You know what other game has no music in Ultimate? Xenoblade X. Coincidence? Maybe. But I think not.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Not just that, but the past few DLC characters have been covering empty spaces in Ultimate like:

- Byleth bringing Three Houses content

- Min Min bringing Arms music

- Sephiroth bringing FF Spirits and more music

All 3 of these franchises or games barely had anything next to nothing in base game. You what other gane has no music in Ultimate? Xenoblade X. Coincidence? Maybe. But I think not.
I’m hoping it’s not a coincidence and shapes up to something more

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh yeah real quick anyone got that fan made Elma Smash render? I may use one of them for a mock-up

I’m believing hardcore in the Sephiroth-KOSMOS-Reimu-Crash rumor as the remaining for pass 2, but I’m positive Sephiroth and Steve and if he’s confirmed Crash will make enough bank for Sakurai to consider one last hurrah with Pass 3, filling the four remaining WoL character slots after pass 2 ends

and I have a lineup for Pass 3 in mind...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
And what would that be besides our Xeno girls?
it’s all in my signature, my predictions. KOS-MOS is in pass 2, Elma in pass 3

also KOS-MOS is counted as Xenosaga/a Bandai Namco rep, not Xenoblade. That goes to Elma. Also Elma would have her own unique fanfare - the crescendo of THEMEX

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, with the Sephiroth presentation over, and the Mii costumes revealed, I feel it's worth noting this. Lloyd's still missing, Heihachi came with Min Min, who was a fighting game character herself. . . I think chances for another "RPG character" on the Pass is looking pretty good, which in turn is a sliver of hope for us.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman

It's absurd that I recognised that silhouette from a small thumbnail, but that's what happens when farm over 100 Elma spirits. Good video, covers post-Sephiroth speculation in regards to data, rather than 'leaks'. He fairly briefly mentions Elma, but it feels signifigant seeing her name out there.

My thoughts at the moment, now that the dust is settling on Sephiroth's inclusion is that additional FF7 and ARMs music was left out at launch due to future plans, and not solely due to copyright. Obviously Xenoblade X is a significant example of another game to have such a gap. I'm honestly starting to wonder if Elma could be this passes equivalent of Hero, an older character returning in a port within months of their inclusion in Smash. Initially I didn't think they'd do that due to risk of upsetting certain fans, but seeing how long they held out on the Geno costume makes me think Nintendo aren't really too bothered about that sort of nonsense.

Speaking of Mii costumes, both Lloyd Irving, as a dual sword wielding JRPG Protagonist and the Monster Hunter armours could genuinely make sense as costumes that release alongside Elma, who doesn't think about hunting giant monsters when they think about playing a Xenoblade game? I'm probably reaching, but I'm honestly feeling more positive about Elma's chances than I have in a long time, after Steve and Sephiroth, I think theres space now for a smaller Nintendo character to join the fight, and I think Elma is certainly in the running.

Top Bottom