• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
Cheers!

Yeah, it seems he won't be involved anymore. But it is like a said, X is much more than the look of the characters. A model change was something most wanted, an artstyle change not so much, but with model changes alone they would already look different, so it seems they will go the extra step and change the rest. But I doubt the game will be much different in other more important aspects. Mira will still be Mira, and all the fun that comes from exploring it too, the battle may get some twiking but the core will probably be the same. The thing they decided to do for 1 will give us an indication (sorry all, but I will forever call this remaster of 1 a thing, a thing that I won't ever fully approve because it is for 1, even if in the end it helps X).

And well, at least, this explains a little bit the "would be too expensive to port X". Not port, they never intended a port, because it seems they would want this opportunity to change things in the game, hence more of a remaster, hence, expensive.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Whether we get Elma or not, I'm still very curious if we will get anymore Nintendo characters in the DLC lineup.
I’m pretty sure we will.

Cheers!

Yeah, it seems he won't be involved anymore. But it is like a said, X is much more than the look of the characters. A model change was something most wanted, an artstyle change not so much, but with model changes alone they would already look different, so it seems they will go the extra step and change the rest. But I doubt the game will be much different in other more important aspects. Mira will still be Mira, and all the fun that comes from exploring it too, the battle may get some twiking but the core will probably be the same. The thing they decided to do for 1 will give us an indication (sorry all, but I will forever call this remaster of 1 a thing, a thing that I won't ever fully approve because it is for 1, even if in the end it helps X).

And well, at least, this explains a little bit the "would be too expensive to port X". Not port, they never intended a port, because it seems they would want this opportunity to change things in the game, hence more of a remaster, hence, expensive.
It’s likely they’d add some new content that wasn’t in the vanilla game either. At least that’s what I hope

One thing I’d want changed: there’s an Yggralith Tyrant that’s only in random missions. Such a wasted opportunity if you ask me; I’d rather said Tyrant be normally accessible. (I forgot the name of the Tyrant and mission btw)

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Slightly off-topic, but has anyone else taken a moment to let it sink in that with Defintive Edition, the original Xenoblade accounts for more than half of all Xenoblade game releases? (Or half if you count Torna seperately)

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
Slightly off-topic, but has anyone else taken a moment to let it sink in that with Defintive Edition, the original Xenoblade accounts for more than half of all Xenoblade game releases? (Or half if you count Torna seperately)
Which is a shame.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Takahashi: "I couldn't figure out why they would care so much about a game like Xenoblade Chronicles when they had so many superior RPGs to choose from in the West."
" [I'm] grateful for the game's positive reputation, [but I and my team] didn't set out to make Xenoblade Chronicles into the company's magnum opus. It was made to be an experiment"

Also Takahashi: "here's the fourth release of Xenoblade Chronicles, our flagship most recognizable game."

Sigman

Smash Cadet
If you consider the Milk rumor saying FP5 is female and the publisher having “already appeared” it would lean in her favor too
There is also to consider Director Masahiro Sakurai’s own actions such purchasing a toy mech for a “current project”. But it has yet to be confirmed as to what exactly is the role it contributes to this “current project”. There has yet to be an overt resemblance to it to appear in Super Smash Bros Ultimate if that is what the “current project” is such as the Mii Gunner is animated different from the toy and they seem largely unchanged from the previous iteration.

:confused:

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
In terms of XCX's character design... it was always a little uncanny imo but not bad. It was more a thing that kind of bothered me before I played the game and was waiting for its western release. I was kind of over it by the time I was actually playing, but occasionally it would be like, "eh, they look weird". I mostly blame Cross for these moments tbh. After chapter 5 tho, I was totally over it, lol... for obvious reasons. In fact it made me like the design a lot. It made sense in a way.

That was then. Now, looking back, its character design is something I miss. Perhaps that can now be attributed to nostalgia and looking back fondly at a game I really enjoyed. I'd hope a redesign doesn't do anything too different.

XC2 Elma is nice design-wise but I'd have done something more in between XCX and that design. Her look isn't bad in XC2, but it doesn't quite look like her at times. Elma in XCX has a distinctive look I think they didnt quite capture in XC2. That said, I still love seeing her in XC2 and I'd say her redesign fits better than Shulk and Fiora's. Also, shes super good and fun and just hearing Caitlin Glass's voice and seeing those familiar moves AND music... that DLC was pretty much an excellent addition.

Point being, if they redesigned characters in XCX in any way I kind of hope it's a gentle nudge if anything. And that's probably a safe bet because I doubt an XCX port+ would put much if any emphasis on that. The character design doesn't need it like XC1 did. XC1s appearance hasn't aged nearly as well, just based on the limitations it had on the Wii and in its generation.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What is this and why?

Seems very bot spammy in nature. Maybe this is a joke~
Yeah don’t click those links. It’s probably a phishing attempt. The bot’s been at this since last month with different accounts

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What is this and why?

Seems very bot spammy in nature. Maybe this is a joke~
The user came here a couple weeks/months ago under multiple slightly different usernames spamming the exact same thing. I don't think it's a joke - I think they just don't realize that what they're doing is considered spam.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The user came here a couple weeks/months ago under multiple slightly different usernames spamming the exact same thing. I don't think it's a joke - I think they just don't realize that what they're doing is considered spam.
It could also be a virus or something so... by nature I just avoid such suspicious links

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Thank you. Had zero plan to touch the links, but just wanted to see if the poster would explain on the off chance it wasnt spam. Havent been paying attention to these sorts of things happening in the character speculation threads.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
In terms of XCX's character design... it was always a little uncanny imo but not bad. It was more a thing that kind of bothered me before I played the game and was waiting for its western release. I was kind of over it by the time I was actually playing, but occasionally it would be like, "eh, they look weird". I mostly blame Cross for these moments tbh. After chapter 5 tho, I was totally over it, lol... for obvious reasons. In fact it made me like the design a lot. It made sense in a way.
Point being, if they redesigned characters in XCX in any way I kind of hope it's a gentle nudge if anything. And that's probably a safe bet because I doubt an XCX port+ would put much if any emphasis on that. The character design doesn't need it like XC1 did. XC1s appearance hasn't aged nearly as well, just based on the limitations it had on the Wii and in its generation.
You're speaking more about the modelling rather than the designs, I think. The character designs themselves I think are fine, but Tanaka's style benefits from strong shading imo. The realistic lighting that X used looks strange combined with his style of face. Compare XBX's 3d models to these
https://imgur.com/a/g3Nozle
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/19/15/ce/1915cecae82738da68675af012f54098.jpg
I dunno, I feel like they're giving up on his style without really trying to design an artstyle around it. It's part of why I'm so upset about it. Imagine if XB2 had no celshading but instead had realistic lighting; it'd look equally uncanny.

There is also to consider Director Masahiro Sakurai’s own actions such purchasing a toy mech for a “current project”. But it has yet to be confirmed as to what exactly is the role it contributes to this “current project”. There has yet to be an overt resemblance to it to appear in Super Smash Bros Ultimate if that is what the “current project” is such as the Mii Gunner is animated different from the toy and they seem largely unchanged from the previous iteration.
Gotta clarify that Sakurai was after the RIFLE that the toy had, which could've already been used for a new item like the Staff weapon.

Sigman

Smash Cadet
You're speaking more about the modelling rather than the designs, I think. The character designs themselves I think are fine, but Tanaka's style benefits from strong shading imo. The realistic lighting that X used looks strange combined with his style of face. Compare XBX's 3d models to these
https://imgur.com/a/g3Nozle
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/19/15/ce/1915cecae82738da68675af012f54098.jpg
I dunno, I feel like they're giving up on his style without really trying to design an artstyle around it. It's part of why I'm so upset about it. Imagine if XB2 had no celshading but instead had realistic lighting; it'd look equally uncanny.

Gotta clarify that Sakurai was after the RIFLE that the toy had, which could've already been used for a new item like the Staff weapon.
I do not notice a significant animation difference between the Staff and Dark Pit's Final Smash. Can someone please offer a close analysis between the similarities and differences between Dark Pit's Final Smash in both iterations and the Staff item?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I was thinking more the toy rifle was used as a prop in fleshing out animations such as this image shows with micro man figures.

It may have been used to help create shooting animations for all the newcomers, for weapons like the staff or the anti-spirit gun used on the spirit board animation.

It’s very unlikely that the mech figure has any more relevance for Smash, considering it was 1. Shown way before Smash was even revealed but mentioned to be for an upcoming project at the time, meaning the project was probably Smash and 2. It was only bought for the rifle accessory, meaning the fact it was a mech is completely irrelevant to whatever it was being used for.

Sigman

Smash Cadet
I was thinking more the toy rifle was used as a prop in fleshing out animations such as this image shows with micro man figures.

It may have been used to help create shooting animations for all the newcomers, for weapons like the staff or the anti-spirit gun used on the spirit board animation.

It’s very unlikely that the mech figure has any more relevance for Smash, considering it was 1. Shown way before Smash was even revealed but mentioned to be for an upcoming project at the time, meaning the project was probably Smash and 2. It was only bought for the rifle accessory, meaning the fact it was a mech is completely irrelevant to whatever it was being used for.
Is a character like Dark Pit shooting a rifle significantly different from others from a previous iteration? 2B’s voice actress was in talks about Soul Calibur VI when the game was first announced meaning she was always intended to be part of it. These things take a lot of time as evidence as to how “slow” the Fighter’s Pass releases is going with some people complaining about it.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Is a character like Dark Pit shooting a rifle significantly different from others from a previous iteration?
...you're comparing a single character's final smash animation to regular attack animations every single character needs to have, when characters run the gamut of body shapes from "basically orbs" to "fat pudgy humans" to "anime teens" and "anthromorphic animals". Yes, I would say they are significantly different.

Sigman

Smash Cadet
...you're comparing a single character's final smash animation to regular attack animations every single character needs to have, when characters run the gamut of body shapes from "basically orbs" to "fat pudgy humans" to "anime teens" and "anthromorphic animals". Yes, I would say they are significantly different.
Is this speaking from developer experience? Is there a toy rifle not available to be purchased separate from the mech? Do Micro Man figures not come with items? I myself don't get that impression since they are doing what is essentially the same function: Aiming a gun and shooting it. Sakurai should already have a gun prop in his possession if someone like Dark Pit uses a similar weapon in the last iteration removing the need to purchase a new one.

Also, Sakurai's claim for not "needing the mech" would technically be correct if a Ginga Hyōryū Vifam model wouldn't appear in Super Smash Bros Ultimate. Not too many people seem to think Ginga Hyōryū Vifam would appear in Super Smash Bros Ulimate.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey so... looks like Caitlin Glass ain’t the only VO to have a rather suspicious NDA...

VO of Lloyd Irving from the original Tales of Symphonia tweeted this. Part of me doubts it’s for Smash specifically though as Brian Beacock voices Lloyd for Dawn of the New World onwards. Menville hasn’t reprised his Lloyd role since

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm starting to believe that maybe fighter #5 is Elma because of these reasons:

- Sakurai had a toy mech with a gun he was using for a game back in 2016 which we know now was obviously Smash Ultimate.

- Elma's voice actress doing a VOA which she hasn't publicly announce yet because of NDA.

- That quote from the Xenoblade Chronicle 2 DLC where they mentioned the dream of Shulk and Elma being together in the same place. Notice how they dididn't mentioned Rex & Pyra in that sentence but just Shulk and Elma.

- No Xenoblade X music in the game.

- Xenoblade X's title not being in the game's files while the original and 2's are.

Yep, I think the stars are aligning for our gal.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

- Sakurai had a toy mech with a gun he was using for a game back in 2016 which we know now was obviously Smash Ultimate.

- Elma's voice acting doing a VOA which she hasn't publicly announce yet because of NDA.

- That quote from the Xenoblade Chronicle 2 DLC where they mentioned the dream of Shulk and Elma being together in the same place. Notice how they dididn't mentioned Rex & Pyra in that sentence but just Shulk and Elma.

- Xenoblade X's title not being in the game's files while the original and 2's are.

Also even though Elma has a Spirit, she’s listed under OG Xenoblade Chronicles as are Lin, Tatsu, Lao and the Skell; the 2 Spirits are listed under Xenoblade 2.

If we’re to get our first Spirit promotion I have a feeling it will be her.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Also even though Elma has a Spirit, she’s listed under OG Xenoblade Chronicles as are Lin, Tatsu, Lao and the Skell; the 2 Spirits are listed under Xenoblade 2.

If we’re to get our first Spirit promotion I have a feeling it will be her.
Her our Geno. I honestly could see them both getting in.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hey so... looks like Caitlin Glass ain’t the only VO to have a rather suspicious NDA...

VO of Lloyd Irving from the original Tales of Symphonia tweeted this. Part of me doubts it’s for Smash specifically though as Brian Beacock voices Lloyd for Dawn of the New World onwards. Menville hasn’t reprised his Lloyd role since
Didn't he also voice Robin in Teen Titans? I thought there was some indication that they were going to be bringing that show back.

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice

Scott Menville came back to reprise his role as Lloyd Irving for new voice lines in Tales of Symphonia Chronicles.

After all,

Didn't he also voice Robin in Teen Titans? I thought there was some indication that they were going to be bringing that show back.
Yes,
there is also rumors that it would be a new Batman Arkham game.
Though it feels like it is always rumored.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
In some more specifically Xeno-related tweet rumormongering;
https://twitter.com/BurningAegis/status/1174472881226563584?s=20
this thread from a person with -some- connections at Monolith Soft discusses what their staffing on XB Definitive Edition looks like, and speculates they seem to have a skeleton crew of original XB1 staff on XBDE while more staff are on the next big Xenoblade game headed by Takahashi.

So XBDE likely isn't "taking the place" of a new game at the very least (although most people probably guessed as much already).

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Even if this is for Smash - which I honestly also doubt - we won't be hearing about this for quite a while. With Adam Howden in Smash 4, he mentioned his voice-work about half a year before anything came of it, and it might've already been recorded a while before that, still.

- Elma's voice actress doing a VOA which she hasn't publicly announce yet because of NDA.

I mean, that's basically what we've been saying here for the past ten months or so. Though I'll have to say, since it has already been this long, I'm really starting to have my doubts.

In some more specifically Xeno-related tweet rumormongering;
https://twitter.com/BurningAegis/status/1174472881226563584?s=20
this thread from a person with -some- connections at Monolith Soft discusses what their staffing on XB Definitive Edition looks like, and speculates they seem to have a skeleton crew of original XB1 staff on XBDE while more staff are on the next big Xenoblade game headed by Takahashi.

So XBDE likely isn't "taking the place" of a new game at the very least (although most people probably guessed as much already).
That's interesting, and also rather reassuring. Perhaps DE is going to be some sort of "bridge the gap" game, like how Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD were meant for Breath of the Wild?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Another small little thing I noticed recently: There was an upload of Uncontrollable on YouTube that I distinctly remember having surpassed one million views. But when I went to check it out again recently, I couldn't find it anywhere. Turns out, and I quote "This video has been removed by the user".
Probably yet another thing that ultimately means Nothing™, but hey, can be interesting to point out.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Another small little thing I noticed recently: There was an upload of Uncontrollable on YouTube that I distinctly remember having surpassed one million views. But when I went to check it out again recently, I couldn't find it anywhere. Turns out, and I quote "This video has been removed by the user".
Probably yet another thing that ultimately means Nothing™, but hey, can be interesting to point out.
Was it the one uploaded by user Max Galactica?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Might've been. I honestly don't really remember the channel's name. Would that change anything?
It might...

I think it was DeoxysPrime who deleted their Uncontrollable video. That video would usually be the first thing that would show up when I googled “Xenoblade uncontrollable” and it’s not there anymore

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Fun fact... I've played some DxM and there definitely some familiar english voice actors I've recognized and later verified... specifically from XCX.

Course many of these people are popular in english dubs of japanese media but still thought it was funny to recognize them as from XCX. The three I noted were Doug's VA, Irina's VA, and Lin's VA. Irina's VA, Carrie Keranen, is Guns Empress in DxM and a pretty big character in the game. Guns Empress features on the DxM Smash spirit ad. Doug's VA, Patrick Seitx, is a character named Reaper.. and Cassandra Morris is a character with the call sign of Crown Princess. Cassandra Morris just kind of ends up in everything feels like.

Also, regarding the missing Uncontrollable song... Nintendo has recently (last few months) been on a licensed music hunt and taking down lots of big music channels including BrawlBRSTMs and SilvaGunner. I've heard it speculated they might be planning their own music service(?), but it's hard to know for sure. That could just be being hopeful really. But the sudden take down of channels that have been around a long time is intriguing (and disappointing), but not entirely surprising knowing Nintendo. I guess it's just a "why now" situation.

In any case, I'm sure this is just the latest victim of this trend. No song licensed under a Nintendo property has been safe.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The thought of Nintendo putting the Xenoblade X soundtrack (owned by Sony) on their own music platform is... definitely a strange one.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
The thought of Nintendo putting the Xenoblade X soundtrack (owned by Sony) on their own music platform is... definitely a strange one.
I don't know who gets the "privilege" to demand a take down from a youtube channel in that case, must admit..... but I just assumed if Nintendo can take down the other xenoblade soundtracks it can target X. Maybe it can, while it's ability to actually use the music itself is a legal agreement. I honestly don't know how Sony's involvement affects any of this and I always forget it's even thing. We know XC2 didn't seem to have an issue getting XCX music, but maybe that was a special case and one reason we don't see XCX music in Smash yet is because it's troublesome to acquire.

Regardless, the fact remains that Nintendo has been requesting take downs all over the place and if they had a legal right to XCX's music, it would certainly be targeted as well.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
It might...

I think it was DeoxysPrime who deleted their Uncontrollable video. That video would usually be the first thing that would show up when I googled “Xenoblade uncontrollable” and it’s not there anymore
Well, for what it's worth, here's the link to that particular upload:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmdnpbmM4pc
Doesn't really help much, though, since it only shows that the video has been removed.

the Xenoblade X soundtrack (owned by Sony)
. . .Was that ever confirmed? Because I don't remember any such thing. And wouldn't Sony need to be in X' credits if that were the case?

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Well, for what it's worth, here's the link to that particular upload:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmdnpbmM4pc
Doesn't really help much, though, since it only shows that the video has been removed.

. . .Was that ever confirmed? Because I don't remember any such thing. And wouldn't Sony need to be in X' credits if that were the case?
As far as I remember, the soundtrack was released with Sony involvement but I never discovered if that meant anything about the in game files. When a soundtrack gets printed onto a disc for release you might involve a company like Sony just to facilitate that. Idk if that means they own the songs tho, just a partial right to control how track rips are shared on the internet? I'd guess Sony isn't directly involved in the game files themselves. Unless Sawano is somehow beholden to Sony for reasons I've not read about.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Hey, guys, I usually lurk, but I went looking for info on Sony owning the XCX OST and found this entry for it online.
https://www.discogs.com/Hiroyuki-Sawano-Xenoblade-X-Original-Soundtrack/release/9719740
Right at the bottom it says Copyright for Nintendo and Monolithsoft, Manufactured by Sony.

DefSTAR are owned by Sony Music and don't seem to put out many Video Game OSTs, but they do put out Sawano's music. Interestingly his compilation albums from 2015 have no tracks from XCX on them, I wonder if it's harder for them to use that music than it is for Nintendo at this point.

Last edited:

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice
Sony is a business partner which is looking for ways to make profit. They have a history of working with Nintendo such as the aforementioned Xenoblade X soundtrack.

Sony allowed Master Chief to appear on Sony owned platforms. Sony worked with Microsoft for their network infrastructure. Sony worked with Nintendo and Microsoft against Trump. Sony published games on the SNES, Game Boy Color, and the Nintendo Switch. They support Cross Platform games like Phantasy Star Online 2 released for the Nintendo Switch, which said game has characters they own like Kat and Raven from Gravity Rush in it.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/halos-master-chief-now-on-nintendo-switch-thanks-t/1100-6456435/
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...r-chief-skins-appear-in-minecraft-switch.aspx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q*bert
https://www.gravityrushcentral.com/2017/08/20/overview-gravity-rushs-crossovers-game-franchises/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_that_support_cross-platform_play
https://www.destructoid.com/master-...ole-via-official-minecraft-skins-462079.phtml
https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/17/16488326/sony-nintendo-switch-game-tiny-metal-unties-label
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/20/18632374/microsoft-sony-cloud-gaming-partnership-amazon-google
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...p-withdraw-china-tariffs-joint-letter-1221108
https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/0...letter-discouraging-trump-administration-from

Based on the history of Sony working with other companies and Sawano’s music appearing outside of the home material such as Xenoblade X music appearing in Xenoblade 2 and Kill la Kill music appearing in Space Patrol Luluco, it is unlikely Sony prevents Sawano’s works from appearing in official works of various forms of medium.

Top Bottom