• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Two things:

2B's future role does not necessarily mean you can't have both, 2B and Elma in Smash or 2B would be in Smash as there is a rumored NieR project in development.

Minor nitpick: If "Morgana's VA" is referring to Cassandra Lee Morris then it is a bit awkward to refer to her as that instead of using a more relevant character such as Lin Lee Koo as far as in regards to Elma, the girl who hangs around with Elma much of the time. She was even nominated for an award for her role as Lin Lee Koo.
Understandable. Lemme change that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Someone in Elmacord brought up an interesting point:
aside from the obvious Elma Spirit not evolving into her True Form, why doesn’t Lao’s spirit evolve into his Chimera form from the final battle? Most other games with Spirits have no issue throwing spoilers around (like how Mecha-Fiora’s spirit can be found in WoL’s Dark Realm after finding her Hom version in the Light Realm) ffs, THE DRACULA SPIRIT EVOLVES INTO SOMA FRIGGIN CRUZ but X doesn’t even throw us any bones spoiler wise for the spirits

Last edited:

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
aside from the obvious Elma Spirit not evolving into her True Form, why doesn’t Lao’s spirit evolve into his Chimera form from the final battle? Most other games with Spirits have no issue throwing spoilers around (like how Mecha-Fiora’s spirit can be found in WoL’s Dark Realm after finding her Hom version in the Light Realm) ffs, THE DRACULA SPIRIT EVOLVES INTO SOMA FRIGGIN CRUZ but X doesn’t even throw us any bones spoiler wise for the spirits
At first i thought maybe because Lao in his boss-form doesnt have any renders or artwork that could be used, but to my surprise: The Xenoblade-wiki shows concept art that could easily be used. But maybe it is just that they never got the idea? Azurda didn't get a spirit either and he would be perfect for an enhanceable spirit. There aren't even spirits of other more important Xenoblade 2-characters like Pandoria or Dromarch. My guess is that they simply didn't think of it and/or thought that Xenoblade had enough spirits.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
At first i thought maybe because Lao in his boss-form doesnt have any renders or artwork that could be used, but to my surprise: The Xenoblade-wiki shows concept art that could easily be used. But maybe it is just that they never got the idea? Azurda didn't get a spirit either and he would be perfect for an enhanceable spirit. There aren't even spirits of other more important Xenoblade 2-characters like Pandoria or Dromarch. My guess is that they simply didn't think of it and/or thought that Xenoblade had enough spirits.
Mmyeah. Regardless of my (definitely not positive feelings) on 2 and feeling of X getting needlessly sidelined, it really just feels like Xenoblade as a series got the short end of the stick. Even 1 could've gotten more Spirits without delving into post-Prison Island spoilers.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Xenoblade 1 at least got it's entire main group. The only other characters i would have add would be Dickson and maybe Egil or another Face-Mechon. X and XC2 on the other hand are missing out on so many other characters. btw. the inclusion of XC2-songs feel like an afterthought to me. Why are all 3 songs lower in volume than any other song in the game? And i don't think we need to talk about the lack of X-Music.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Xenoblade 1 at least got it's entire main group. The only other characters i would have add would be Dickson and maybe Egil or another Face-Mechon. X and XC2 on the other hand are missing out on so many other characters. btw. the inclusion of XC2-songs feel like an afterthought to me. Why are all 3 songs lower in volume than any other song in the game? And i don't think we need to talk about the lack of X-Music.
which would be in Elma's favor as if she's in the pass, X music would come with her (and a stage too)

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
The music issue is weird because it’s able to be used (Uncontrollable and Wir Fliegen in 2), so it means that they somehow ignored X’s music entirely (annoying but possible), was being saved for DLC, or something else. I’ve got no clue to be honest.

2’s music on the other hand felt like Splatoon 2’s, as there were no remixes, so those must have been more last minute. It still annoys me that there are Spirits from 2 in WoL yet none from X. Like, Sakurai must not have liked X very much if the content is deliberately ignored. That could sadly be our reality though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The music issue is weird because it’s able to be used (Uncontrollable and Wir Fliegen in 2), so it means that they somehow ignored X’s music entirely (annoying but possible), was being saved for DLC, or something else. I’ve got no clue to be honest.

2’s music on the other hand felt like Splatoon 2’s, as there were no remixes, so those must have been more last minute. It still annoys me that there are Spirits from 2 in WoL yet none from X. Like, Sakurai must not have liked X very much if the content is deliberately ignored. That could sadly be our reality though.
to be fair Elma's Spirit is only first unlocked by freeing 50 peeps in WoL, and only afterward will she appear on the Spirit Board

but yeah it's not quite the same

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, Ultimate's staff's spirit team division was fully responsible for the spirit selection, which is why you have bafflingly weird omissions like Andy missing his actual war partners, absolutely no one from the Pig Mask Army being present except Masked Man, and Rayman getting in alone without his friends.

XCX just was one of the cases that suffered the most from the rushed research.

Sigman

Smash Cadet
I mean, Ultimate's staff's spirit team division was fully responsible for the spirit selection, which is why you have bafflingly weird omissions like Andy missing his actual war partners, absolutely no one from the Pig Mask Army being present except Masked Man, and Rayman getting in alone without his friends.

XCX just was one of the cases that suffered the most from the rushed research.
Yes, which Sakurai himself is part of was previously stated.
Elma's true form also remains MIA despite the artwork being available.

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...ng-bosses-and-spirits-new-stages-much-more/2/

"There’s a huge number of Spirits in the game; what was the selection process like?
Sakurai: I basically checked over what the Spirits team had picked and added/removed characters accordingly. Each characters’ ease of use and whether or not we had their original art also played a part to a degree. There were some characters that were candidates for Spirits that we ended up having to pass on just because we couldn’t find the artwork."​

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Don't forget baffling mistakes like using a Deviantart fan sprite for Masked Man instead of the original in-game asset...
https://tcrf.net/Super_Smash_Bros._Ultimate/Version_Differences#Version_2.0.0
(look at the pixel on his helmet above his right eye; it's not there on the official sprite because it's based on a fan edit...)

Spirits probably shouldn't be considered too deeply considering all the weird biases, choices, inclusions and exclusions present.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Like I said before, out of all the Nintendo characters that are already Spirits I think Elma has the best chances of getting in as DLC due to the absence of the X music.

Soooo Edelgard’s VO was indeed confirmed to be Tara Platt

Caitlin Glass’s NDA role is still a mystery...

The plot thickens...
Me: Please let it be Elma in Smash! PLEASE LET IT BE ELMA IN SMASH DADDY SAKURAI!!!

Don't forget baffling mistakes like using a Deviantart fan sprite for Masked Man instead of the original in-game asset...
https://tcrf.net/Super_Smash_Bros._Ultimate/Version_Differences#Version_2.0.0
(look at the pixel on his helmet above his right eye; it's not there on the official sprite because it's based on a fan edit...)
Oh ****! I never notice that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I made a hypothetical Classic Mode for Elma (and also a half-***ed one for KOS-MOS lul). Lemme know what you think:
Elma - Stuck On A Whole Different Planet

1. Black Dress :ultdaisy: (represents Lin) and :ultbowserjr: (represents Tatsu). Black Tar is the music
2. :ultzss: (Irina) and :ulthero: (Gwin). Music: Minor Boss Battle
3. :ultincineroar: (Ga Jiarg) and :ultmewtwo: (Ga Buidhe). Music: Major Boss Battle
4. :ultbowser:(Random Tyrant). Music: Uncontrollable
5. :ultchrom: (Lao, it’s a VO joke); has a tendency to go Metal. Your ally is :ultlucina:. Music: Prog Ares theme
6. Giant :ultdarksamus: (The Vita Skell). Your ally is Fiora-colored :ultshulk:. Music: The Key We've Lost
Bonus stage: Rathalos (Telethia Plume/the Endbringer, set to its theme. alternatively, can represent Yggralith Zero and that enemy's theme will play instead)

KOS-MOS - (idk a title but she’s fighting all futuristic fighters)
1. :ultmegaman:
2. :ultfalcon::ultsnake:
3. :ultsamus:
4. :ultrob:
5. :ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf: (Fox and Falco are on the same team)
6. :ultshulk::ultcloud:
Bonus: Galleom

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I made a hypothetical Classic Mode for Elma (and also a half-***ed one for KOS-MOS lul). Lemme know what you think:
I like the one for Elma. Using Rathalos as a Boss is a clever idea. One thing that kinda bothered me about classic mode is that most of the characters fight Masterhand and Crazy Hand at the end. You have so many cool new boss-characters and they use the same one for like half the roster (Giga Bowser was used only for Mario and C. Falcon. wtf?) It would be cool if they added an Option for a more "traditional" or "Melee-esque" Classic Mode with random fights and a random boss at the end. But that is just a nitpick.

btw i approve the Octoling-Girl in your Avatar-pic (i'd love a Octoling as an Inkling-echo and i really need to get back into Splatoon 2)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
idk how much stock y'all put in theories, but Mii Costume Theory (the idea that we HAVE to get both a Namco AND Capcom rep as the last two) took a hit due to the Geno costume not returning. I like to think a Nintendo character's chances have shot up now.

plus, the Geno thread sees the aformentioned costume absence and starling hint as a sliver of hope despite Geno having a spirit. I think I kinda want Geno to be playable now despite me not having much of an attachment to him, just to kill the Spirits Deconfirm theory once and for all, lol

also, I feel like in my classic mode, the last two stages' allies are also stealth VO jokes (Lucina's Heroes onward VO, Alexis Tipton, voices Hope Alanzi, and both Shulk and Fiora's VOs are Cross voice options)

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
idk how much stock y'all put in theories, but Mii Costume Theory (the idea that we HAVE to get both a Namco AND Capcom rep as the last two) took a hit due to the Geno costume not returning. I like to think a Nintendo character's chances have shot up now.

plus, the Geno thread sees the aformentioned costume absence and starling hint as a sliver of hope despite Geno having a spirit. I think I kinda want Geno to be playable now despite me not having much of an attachment to him, just to kill the Spirits Deconfirm theory once and for all, lol
Im not a fan of the "Oh-look-there-is-somewhat-of-a-pattern-that-has-to-hint-at-something"-trend. I just can't imagine that Nintendo and Sakurai would choose characters only depending on Mii-costumes in past games, if the character got a sidekick or that the background on their profile has different colours. If anything things like the sidekicks in the Everyone-is-here-Panorama are just coincidence at best (Kazooie isn't even a sidekick. Both her and Banjo are the heroes of there franchise. You can't have one without the other).

I agree on the Geno-part. I don't care for him but wouldn't mind him just to kill that argument. But if Geno would end up as a dlc-fighter (fighter pass, bonus or whatever) some people woud probably still argue that he was just an exception because he was requested for such a long time. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

Last edited:

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice

also, I feel like in my classic mode, the last two stages' allies are also stealth VO jokes (Lucina's Heroes onward VO, Alexis Tipton, voices Hope Alanzi, and both Shulk and Fiora's VOs are Cross voice options)
That would just be ignored like how Jacky and Akira Mii Fighter costumes didn't return yet.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That would just be ignored like how Jacky and Akira Mii Fighter costumes didn't return yet.

To be fair, Akira’s now an AT and Heihachi (albeit his old man self) appears as a random sprite in PAC-MAN’s taunt now

But yeah if Jacky’s Costume didn’t return I doubt even Lloyd’s will, and it may or may not mean anything

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, Akira’s now an AT and Heihachi (albeit his old man self) appears as a random sprite in PAC-MAN’s taunt now

But yeah if Jacky’s Costume didn’t return I doubt even Lloyd’s will, and it may or may not mean anything
Which means nothing at all. Chrom became playable and they still brought back Chrom Mii. Knuckles became an Assist Trophy and they still brought back Knuckles Mii.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
so I'm finding myself thinking about the Starling again, moreso the timing window. the source apparently announces things up to two weeks in advance, no more. I feel like we may see something during EVO...

the starling was probably a hint at Geno, since it was in a Geno based discord, and I know the source isn't a FE fan so that rules out Edelgard possibly. But...what if they're a Xenoblade fan...?

I'd still prefer Elma to be in the pass though, if just for the stage AND music she'll bring.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
so I'm finding myself thinking about the Starling again, moreso the timing window. the source apparently announces things up to two weeks in advance, no more. I feel like we may see something during EVO...

the starling was probably a hint at Geno, since it was in a Geno based discord, and I know the source isn't a FE fan so that rules out Edelgard possibly. But...what if they're a Xenoblade fan...?

I'd still prefer Elma to be in the pass though, if just for the stage AND music she'll bring.
I mean, for all we know, the character is an ACTUAL starling. Not that I can think of anyone...

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I mean, for all we know, the character is an ACTUAL starling. Not that I can think of anyone...
Wow, Juliet Starling is gonna be the Suda51 character!

Also, small correction, the picture wasn't shared in a Geno fan server originally, it was shared in a group chat with Sabi by her source. This was why it wasn't originally seen as a hint until said source confirmed it was. Also, don't take the "starling" thing as gospel. The Banjo hint was literally "bird & bear" and "witch puzzle" so "bird" (possibly "black bird" or "bird and house") is more likely the hint than the specific breed. But we shall see...

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Wow, Juliet Starling is gonna be the Suda51 character!

Also, small correction, the picture wasn't shared in a Geno fan server originally, it was shared in a group chat with Sabi by her source. This was why it wasn't originally seen as a hint until said source confirmed it was. Also, don't take the "starling" thing as gospel. The Banjo hint was literally "bird & bear" and "witch puzzle" so "bird" (possibly "black bird" or "bird and house") is more likely the hint than the specific breed. But we shall see...
Just "bird"? Hm. . . a phoenix is a bird. . .
Wrong thread for that line of thinking, though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
oh snap

the "New" sticker is missing from Fighters despite Hero JUST coming out...

EVO news for sure is coming...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
On the main page or on the Fighters' page? Because on the Fighters' page, Hero still has the "New" tag for me.
Main page. The "New" usually disappears when a new character announcement is on the way...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Shulk’s VO is under NDA for something too, and these teases given his pre-Shulk reveal in 4 behavior, are likely something related to Xenoblade

What if... Xenoblade Warriors announcement? And immediately afterwards, IT’S ELMA TIME (for Smash)?!

What if Xenoblade Warriors was Hiroyuki Sawano’s secret project (not that it would impact Elma being in Smash if that’s the case as tracks straight from X would come with her in the pass)?!

HERE WE FRIGGIN GOOOOOO

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Shulk’s VO is under NDA for something too, and these teases given his pre-Shulk reveal in 4 behavior, are likely something related to Xenoblade

What if... Xenoblade Warriors announcement? And immediately afterwards, IT’S ELMA TIME (for Smash)?!

What if Xenoblade Warriors was Hiroyuki Sawano’s secret project (not that it would impact Elma being in Smash if that’s the case as tracks straight from X would come with her in the pass)?!

HERE WE FRIGGIN GOOOOOO
Ok. I didn't saw this coming but PLEEAASSSEE be something Xenoblade-related!

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Main page. The "New" usually disappears when a new character announcement is on the way...
Huh? Already? Normally I'd be all for interpreting that this could mean that a new character reveal is imminent, but. . . E3 wasn't even two months ago, and it's most likely gonna be months before Banjo comes out. Though then again, he did already have a full gameplay trailer. . . and Piranha Plant was released, what, a bit over two months after its gameplay was shown?
This is odd, to say the least.

HERE WE FRIGGIN GOOOOOO
My most wishful thinking interpretation of this would be that Elma's Smash reveal trailer is gonna feature her interacting with Shulk in some way.

To be a bit more grounded, though, what other game series is Adam Howden really involved in? I know he voices a character in Dragon Age, but is there anything else?

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
To be a bit more grounded, though, what other game series is Adam Howden really involved in? I know he voices a character in Dragon Age, but is there anything else?
He was in Final Fantasy XIV, XCOM 2 and Ni no Kuni II, and that’s all besides Xenoblade and Dragon Age.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
He was in Final Fantasy XIV, XCOM 2 and Ni no Kuni II, and that’s all besides Xenoblade and Dragon Age.
I doubt it would be something related to the first three, and if I'm not mistaken, the chaarcter Howden voices in the Dragon Age series appeared only once and isn't recurring? (idk i don't play DA)

if both him AND Glass are in the same project tho, that lends credence to it being something Xenoblade related, bonus points if Carina Reeves (Fiora) is in there somewhere

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So wait, Rie, lemme just ask you: what was the usual timeframe on that "New" sticker thing leading up to the reveal? Like, the "New" tag gets taken down by Nintendo, then a new fighter pops up a couple days, weeks later?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So wait, Rie, lemme just ask you: what was the usual timeframe on that "New" sticker thing leading up to the reveal? Like, the "New" tag gets taken down by Nintendo, then a new fighter pops up a couple days, weeks later?
it's usually when a reveal is imminent, up to a week from when "New" disappears, but can be as soon as a few days

Top Bottom