• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
Saw the video, nice. But it is kinda of a torture if in the and no Elma or X port happens.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
First of all, no Elma yet (sadly, but let’s not call it quits juuuussst yet), but Version 3.0 is upon us, and it’s bringing an elaborate [stage builder] with it. Thoughts?
Personally, this is gonna be Mario Maker for fighting games, and I feel alright with that.
P.S. the dev team went in HARD with Joker’s abilities and presentation. Here’s hoping the rest of the Fighters Pass characters get this much attention, including our girl here (crosses fingers together).

Last edited:

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
The stage builder looks amazing! I will try to make a Noctilum stage for sure! Plus I'm so excited for the Persona musics! The remix of Beneath the Mask is awesome.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Yeah, I was expecting just a "meh" stage builder considering what we've had in previous games, but it looks super cool!

Also Persona gets music with vocals in Smash, so unless it's specifically Sawano that there's an issue with (not likely considering Uncontrollable in 2), there's absolutely no reason why Sakurai couldn't put X music in Smash. Just saying, it makes even less sense now. Persona could've gotten the Bayonetta treatment with vocal tracks being replaced by instrumentals, but no... *thinking emoji intensifies*

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
This is just getting curiouser and curiouser by the update.
Certain new areas are better off for direct sequels. We can infer that there is New Tokyo and a French City on Mira based on the storyline and concept art along with New Los Angeles. They also did state that there is other continents that is unexplored. There was a certain mission to recover a lifehold in Sylvalum to discover a transmission from other Ark Ships.
Dude... you were post #6000, and no one else commented on it. WELP, a congratulation is in order, and I feel it is only necessary that I commemorate the occasion with a Rock and Roll robot.

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Also, who the heck is Jane if not a female Joker alt? I have hope for Dixie Kong since they apparently have a ponytail.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Joker's moveset is starting to look like what Elma's play-style could have been, with the switching of guns and swords (knifes) plus the unique aspect of Personas. I do not think Elma is going to be in the DLC pack. I expect all the DLC characters to share a substantial form of distinctness, and it would be a lot harder for Sakurai to make something unique for Elma that Joker would not have if she was planned. I given up at this point.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Hey, all I see is a basic sword/knife-as-standard-attack, gun-as-special-move moveset with a dash of [STAND POWER] on a limit break/Star K.O.-esque meter. Elma has arts like Shulk and can do a combination Dante/Leonardo act with HER swords and guns.
Don’t give up too easily, always hold your head up high for at least another sci-fi heroine to join Samus in Smash.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
If Elma's Ghost Factory casually absorbs attacks like Joker's counter, that'd be swell. Although I imagine it phasing through things, instead of acting as chargeable super armor that reduces damage that can be used as a counterattack.

Smash Joker is undeniably cool, but he didn't give me an Elma vibe at all, as far as his playstyle is concerned. He has his own gimmicks/weapons. Due to the nature of her game, Elma has a lot of relatively unique attacks/animations in X that Smash can replicate. They're both stealthy and agile and stab and shoot stuff, but the similarities end there.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
At least with the stage builder we can make our own X stage. Something based on X's title screen with the skell in the background would be neat.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Well, at least Joker's out now. I can't say that I'm actually convinced to purchase him or the FIghtert's Pack, though - he really doesn't look interesting enough to me, and I have no affinity for Persona 5. But beyond that, I'm surprised that they haven't even teased the next fighter yet. If we're really gonna have to wait until E3 before that, then the latter half of this year really is going to be rather crammed with fighter reveals.

Joker's moveset is starting to look like what Elma's play-style could have been, with the switching of guns and swords (knifes) plus the unique aspect of Personas. I do not think Elma is going to be in the DLC pack. I expect all the DLC characters to share a substantial form of distinctness, and it would be a lot harder for Sakurai to make something unique for Elma that Joker would not have if she was planned. I given up at this point.
Yeah, no. I'm not seeing that at all.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
An Elma moveset would have more in common with Bayonetta than Joker, I think. Especially with how a lot of her attacks move her physically (think side-b, multiple forward airs/tilts that nudge her forwards, etc) even when they’re just “firing a gun”.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually kinda let down a tiny bit by Joker's moveset. I didn't know what to expect since I haven't played P5 but he seems kinda standard.
Still hopeful for Elma.

Well, at least Joker's out now. I can't say that I'm actually convinced to purchase him or the FIghtert's Pack, though - he really doesn't look interesting enough to me, and I have no affinity for Persona 5. But beyond that, I'm surprised that they haven't even teased the next fighter yet. If we're really gonna have to wait until E3 before that, then the latter half of this year really is going to be rather crammed with fighter reveals.
Also this; now I'm kinda hoping they hold off til E3 if it means hype-filled later half of the year lol

Last edited:

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
I kinda agree with this. I wouldn't say I've given up, but with Bayonetta, Joker, and possibly Lloyd (who I think is likely), most of the things that would've made a moveset for Elma stand out are in the game already... With her being a spirit as well, maybe Cross IS more likely.

If they could at least add ONE song from X, we could have stages set on "Mira" with that stage builder. Unfortunately, it won't feel like Mira to me without Sawano's music.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I kinda agree with this. I wouldn't say I've given up, but with Bayonetta, Joker, and possibly Lloyd (who I think is likely), most of the things that would've made a moveset for Elma stand out are in the game already... With her being a spirit as well, maybe Cross IS more likely.
We still don't have much of a dedicated dual wielder, let alone one that can switch between weapon types. And even so, so what? We already have plenty of characters that fight with hand-to-hand combat, and yet we keep getting more.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Imo, I don't think the chances of Elma are worse. For now. If all the packs will contain spirits than its a problem for X since it already has spirits in Smash. Plus the musics with Joker are not only from Persona 5 but also from 3 and 4. It really seems that Sakurai and Sora ltd wanted to bring a new universe in smash and not just a game. Maybe all the packs will bring unrepresented universes. I think series like Tales of, Monster Hunter (I know there is a rathalos and a track, but still), Banjo-Kazooie, Dragon Quest, an SNK rep, etc are more likely than first party series from Nintendo.

But for now we can't draw a trend. Maybe Joker will be the only fighter with spirits and with multiple games represented within the pack. If after like 3 fighters the pattern is the same, then it will smell bad for Elma.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Eh, I don't think that the way that music and Spirits are handled with Joker really spells anything bad. Keep in mind, the only new songs that Xenoblade in general received in Ultimate where those three tracks from 2, with nothing else for the original. For an Elma pack, they could easily throw in some more songs from the original and 2, like Unfinished Battle, Zanza, or Zeke's battle theme. As for Spirits, keep in mind that we only really got the bare minimum. We don't even have every plot-relevant party member from X (like, L, Irina, Gwin, Doug and Nagi are still missing, just like the antagonists), and they could easily throw in more characters from 1 and 2.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Yeah, I was expecting just a "meh" stage builder considering what we've had in previous games, but it looks super cool!

Also Persona gets music with vocals in Smash, so unless it's specifically Sawano that there's an issue with (not likely considering Uncontrollable in 2), there's absolutely no reason why Sakurai couldn't put X music in Smash. Just saying, it makes even less sense now. Persona could've gotten the Bayonetta treatment with vocal tracks being replaced by instrumentals, but no... *thinking emoji intensifies*
I believe Persona music is even a bigger mess to get the music rights from(recall Sony has some involvement with it), so yeah there should not haven been an excuse for no X music

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I'm aware X got the minimal treatment, but what I mean is that the DLC might be build from the ground, with no actual content. Of course this is pure speculation and we will have to wait.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I'm aware X got the minimal treatment, but what I mean is that the DLC might be build from the ground, with no actual content. Of course this is pure speculation and we will have to wait.
I'm still not sold on that idea, because that would mean that we will not see any Nintendo character period, not even a new Pokémon or Fire Emblem rep.
Besides, leaving an entire series without Spirits would have been way too suspicious when Sutte Hakkun and Girl from Hajime no Mori got in, and we know that Nintendo wants to market the DLCs as surpises since they didn't revealed them when they announced the Fighter Pass (and they surely are heavely promoting it...), so I would say that series/games with the bare minimum in Spirits and music are fair game, and Xenoblade X just happens to be one of them (alongside Rhythm Heaven, for example).

Sigman

Smash Cadet
I can imagine music tracks changing weather patterns on a potential outdoor Xenoblade X stage like how Moray Towers and Mementos changes appearance based on what music tracks are playing.
For example, No. EX01 causes Brimstone rain to fall down but maybe not damaging people this time.
CodenameZ, In The Forest, and aBoreSSs causes regular rainfall.
and Don't Worry causes a rainbow to appear.

Eh, I don't think that the way that music and Spirits are handled with Joker really spells anything bad. Keep in mind, the only new songs that Xenoblade in general received in Ultimate where those three tracks from 2, with nothing else for the original. For an Elma pack, they could easily throw in some more songs from the original and 2, like Unfinished Battle, Zanza, or Zeke's battle theme. As for Spirits, keep in mind that we only really got the bare minimum. We don't even have every plot-relevant party member from X (like, L, Irina, Gwin, Doug and Nagi are still missing, just like the antagonists), and they could easily throw in more characters from 1 and 2.
Elma's true form also remains MIA despite the artwork being available.

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...ng-bosses-and-spirits-new-stages-much-more/2/

"There’s a huge number of Spirits in the game; what was the selection process like?

Sakurai:
I basically checked over what the Spirits team had picked and added/removed characters accordingly. Each characters’ ease of use and whether or not we had their original art also played a part to a degree. There were some characters that were candidates for Spirits that we ended up having to pass on just because we couldn’t find the artwork."​

Last edited:

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
I mean, if the theoretical XBX2 were to be announced to be in development, Elma could potentially have new types of weapons and/or arts to choose from that make her more distinct from Bayonetta or Joker.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I mean, if the theoretical XBX2 were to be announced to be in development, Elma could potentially have new types of weapons and/or arts to choose from that make her more distinct from Bayonetta or Joker.
hmm that's a nice point

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So leaving Elma's chances aside for the moment, does anyone have any specific ideas on what custom stages based on X to make? I personally would kind want to try my hand at a Sylvalum stage (Summit background) and a NLA stage (Midgar background).

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
So, after seeing the weird hivemind that is the Xenoblade subreddit, here’s my hot take:

Lots of people who like 2 only dislike X because they removed a bust slider and the ability to dress a 13 year old in a swimsuit. In 2, they’ve got you covered in spades. That’s absolutely one of my biggest complaints with the game actually. The fan service and jiggle physics distract from the core game. It also makes me uncomfortable to play it when you see Catalyst with the tiniest sliver of fabric just barely covering their crotch. Like, that’s not helping to grow a female fan base. It’s really not cool and I hope they tone it down in the future.

At least in 1 and X you had to go looking for the fan service. Except for Sharla and Vanaea who were jiggle physics galore.

Last edited:

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
So leaving Elma's chances aside for the moment, does anyone have any specific ideas on what custom stages based on X to make? I personally would kind want to try my hand at a Sylvalum stage (Summit background) and a NLA stage (Midgar background).
Noctilum. jsust hope the stage builder will be complete.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, after seeing the weird hivemind that is the Xenoblade subreddit, here’s my hot take:

Lots of people who like 2 only dislike X because they removed a bust slider and the ability to dress a 13 year old in a swimsuit. In 2, they’ve got you covered in spades. That’s absolutely one of my biggest complaints with the game actually. The fan service and jiggle physics distract from the core game. It also makes me uncomfortable to play it when you see Catalyst with the tiniest sliver of fabric just barely covering their crotch. Like, that’s not helping to grow a female fan base. It’s really not cool and I hope they tone it down in the future.

At least in 1 and X you had to go looking for the fan service. Except for Sharla and Vanaea who were jiggle physics galore.
C'mon, I think you're not giving them not enough credit there.
They also dislike X because it's not a fully story-driven game, like the original and 2 were. You know, because that was definitely what X was doing.

Noctilum. jsust hope the stage builder will be complete.
Seems like that's gonna be a bit tricky. From what I recall right now, there's no forest background available for the Stage Builder. I already had to settle on the Wrecking Crew background for my (in-progress) NLA stage.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
They also dislike X because it's not a fully story-driven game, like the original and 2 were. You know, because that was definitely what X was doing.
That is exactly why I'm not a fan of X. The story in a JRPG is what drives me. Radiant Historia, Golden Sun, Persona and Xenoblade have in spades hence my love for them.

But with X, there is very little. I felt unmotivated to play it.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
That is exactly why I'm not a fan of X. The story in a JRPG is what drives me. Radiant Historia, Golden Sun, Persona and Xenoblade have in spades hence my love for them.

But with X, there is very little. I felt unmotivated to play it.
Right, then here's my hot take: You want X to be something that it was never meant to be. The whole point behind X is that the main story missions aren't the real narrative, and that the actual story of humanity establishing itself on NLA is comprised of a combination of not only the main story missions, but also the affinity quests and other missions with a narrative to them. There's a reason the game places so much emphasis on its missions. Disliking X for its design with regards to that is like criticizing a Zelda game for being a bad platformer.

. . .And if you dislike X, what are you even doing in this thread?

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Right, then here's my hot take: You want X to be something that it was never meant to be. The whole point behind X is that the main story missions aren't the real narrative, and that the actual story of humanity establishing itself on NLA is comprised of a combination of not only the main story missions, but also the affinity quests and other missions with a narrative to them. There's a reason the game places so much emphasis on its missions. Disliking X for its design with regards to that is like criticizing a Zelda game for being a bad platformer.

. . .And if you dislike X, what are you even doing in this thread?
I may not like X, I still love the character designs.

Elma is one of my favorite characters from the Xeno series and one I hope gets into Smash one day

Liking a character and liking a game aren't two sides of the same coin.

Last edited:

Abade

Smash Apprentice

Seems like that's gonna be a bit tricky. From what I recall right now, there's no forest background available for the Stage Builder. I already had to settle on the Wrecking Crew background for my (in-progress) NLA stage.
Yeah there isn't any forest background unless they would add more later on. This is what is available for the moment:

Starting From Top-Left to Right
Battlefield
Tomodachi Life
Wreaking Crew
Kalos Pokemon League

Fire Emblem Coliseum
Find Mii
Summit
Final Destination

Magicant
Luigi's Mansion
Rainbow Ride
and what I believe is to be the Comet Observatory

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yeah there isn't any forest background unless they would add more later on. This is what is available for the moment:

Battlefield
Tomodachi Life
Wreaking Crew
Kalos Pokemon League

Fire Emblem Coliseum
Find Mii
Summit
Final Destination

Magicant
Luigi's Mansion
Rainbow Ride
I'm so glad to see that we got backgrounds from Nintendo stages - the backgrounds in Smash 4 were so generic, and I don't recall Brawl's being much better.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm so glad to see that we got backgrounds from Nintendo stages - the backgrounds in Smash 4 were so generic, and I don't recall Brawl's being much better.
Brawl had some bland Subspace backgrounds - Sky, Field, and Base. I never had much fun with them. These have more variety and personality.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Battlefield
Tomodachi Life
Wreaking Crew
Kalos Pokemon League

Fire Emblem Coliseum
Find Mii
Summit
Final Destination

Magicant
Luigi's Mansion
Rainbow Ride
Yeeah, I could already see that for myself by now. Just finished a stage, too.

In retrospect, I probably should've made it the largest possible size, instead of just medium. Oh well.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300

Oh, I know. Hence why I said only "some". There are definitely some issues with the game and I won't deny that. Personally, I didn't like the MMO-esque nature of the game. I like Xeno games for the single player, story driven aspect. And I haven't really had consistent enough internet to actually play online, so it always felt like an aspect of the game was hidden from me. Also I do want a better story next time around. They can do a lot with the sci-fi nature of X compared to the fantastical nature of 1 and 2. It's definitely something I want to see more of.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Speaking of stages, here's the NLA stage I made, as well as the ID for the Monado one, in case anyone's interested!

Oh, I know. Hence why I said only "some". There are definitely some issues with the game and I won't deny that. Personally, I didn't like the MMO-esque nature of the game. I like Xeno games for the single player, story driven aspect. And I haven't really had consistent enough internet to actually play online, so it always felt like an aspect of the game was hidden from me. Also I do want a better story next time around. They can do a lot with the sci-fi nature of X compared to the fantastical nature of 1 and 2. It's definitely something I want to see more of.
I mean, it used to be the same for me. But after the massive disappointment that was 2, and actually replaying X while knowing full well what I was getting myself into, it did hold up far better than I would've imagined.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Speaking of stages, here's the NLA stage I made, as well as the ID for the Monado one, in case anyone's interested!

I mean, it used to be the same for me. But after the massive disappointment that was 2, and actually replaying X while knowing full well what I was getting myself into, it did hold up far better than I would've imagined.
Oh, I love them! I need to grab the app so I can queue these.

Top Bottom