• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
let's not forget that they added Corrin, a litteral character nobody in the West knew at that time, so going with lesser Nintendo characters isn't unprecedented.
Also this time we have a whole Pass rather than selling the fighters singularly, so having big names as the first announced, namely Joker and probably Erdrik, would lead to people buying the Pass expecting more amazing TP but may receive lesser known Nintendo owned characters.
This makes sense. So...maybe only 3/5 will be 3rd party? I don't see them putting in more than one lesser known character so here's hoping it's Elma to promote a XCX port.

But by looking at how full Nintendo's line up is right now I can't really see any other big third party title they could promote in this DLC season. Maybe we will start seeing promotion for other minor titles, like the twins of Astral Chains, Byleth from Three Houses, or even Elma for X2 which might be announced at E3 for all we know.
I'm still choosing to believe that Nintendo picked the characters with Sakurai's input around the time he did Ultimate's original project plan or maybe a bit later. His wording on Rex being a Mii Fighter costume made it sound like Rex would've been a character, but his game came out too late even for the DLC. That more or less means characters originating from games not revealed before 2017 have little chance of being part of this Fighter Pass. Maybe a Three Houses character has a SLIGHT chance since it's been in development for a long time and it's not real-time combat so making up moves is easier, but after Robin, Lucina, Roy, Corrin and Chrom, I hope they don't add another FE character this soon (unless maybe that character is as unique/interesting as Corrin which a generic sword/axe/magic user isn't). Nintendo has already advertised Three Houses a lot and I think adding a character from that game wouldn't result in as much of a difference in sales as if they added a character from a different series...

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
The thing about the XCX rep is that they'll play the role of Corrin with a few added benefits to their representation. 1.) XCX has already been released world wide while fates was being released around the same time that corrin was as well. 2.) XCX's rep most likely Elma, is relatively liked in the fandom and is only the 2nd rep in XC series, while Corrin was added in a saturated field in FE, and most people didn't like Corrin.

With that out of the way, if XCX gets ported to Switch, what are some improvements you guys want to see?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
In terms of improvements (ie not new content), UI and sound mixing definitely need the most changes.

Text needs to be more readable; don't use the same small font for everything! This is partially the localization's fault, but still.
The HUD needs to be less cluttered by default. Things like the story mission prompts do not need to be on screen 24/7. During battles, remove everything not crucial to the battle for visibility's sake!
Volume mixing options for voices/BGM/sound effects/etc.
Have songs resume from where they last played (ie for area themes, Don't worry etc)
Adjust song looping while we're at it.
Change when "Don't worry" and "Wir Fliegen" play. Lower their priority so they don't overtake everything.
Japanese Voice DLC. Options are always nice.
Add a Suspend Current Mission option for Affinity/Story quests so people don't get stuck on quests they can't progress.
Rework skell insurance; it now replaces your skell without needing to go back. Once it runs out, return to the barracks to get your insurance restocked.
Let us review the story/tutorial/progress pop-ups (ie Elma's Advice).
Theater Mode for rewatching cutscenes (and changing what armor everyone wears in it).
Being able to name your saved skell paint schemes or avatar appearances.
Favoriting/marking items & saving loadouts.

I won't get into what new content I'd want but there's a metric ton of improvements to how user friendly the game could be.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I was thinking that they put together the rough map and where each spirit would be in 2016-2017, and after the release of XC2, swapped some spirits out and rearranged the positions. Or maybe the developers just thought too few people would care about the XCX cast being in WoL (aside from Elma) compared to other characters? The Skell is obviously not there because you can only get it via summoning. I'm not sure why they would have Elma be an achievement reward instead of being in WoL. If they don't plan on adding Elma as DLC, I don't think it makes sense that they wouldn't add XCX spirits at the same time as all the others. So I guess, they don't care or that does boost her chances.
That's honestly really reaching. There are plenty of spirits on the WoL map that are obscure as all heck, cared for by only a small handful of people, and are acknowledged nonetheless. Why should they single out X, of all games, to not represent at all? It did reasonably well for a Wii U game. And even if Sakurai and his team cared for fan reception of games (which, considering all the Other M content, they don't), people are blowing the supposed negative reception to X waaay out of proportion these days. There just is no good reason why the X Spirits should be excluded from WoL.

In terms of improvements (ie not new content), UI and sound mixing definitely need the most changes.

Text needs to be more readable; don't use the same small font for everything! This is partially the localization's fault, but still.
The HUD needs to be less cluttered by default. Things like the story mission prompts do not need to be on screen 24/7. During battles, remove everything not crucial to the battle for visibility's sake!
Have songs resume from where they last played (ie for area themes, Don't worry etc)
Change when "Don't worry" and "Wir Fliegen" play. Lower their priority so they don't overtake everything.
Add a Suspend Current Mission option for Affinity/Story quests so people don't get stuck on quests they can't progress.
Rework skell insurance; it now replaces your skell without needing to go back. Once it runs out, return to the barracks to get your insurance restocked.
Theater Mode for rewatching cutscenes (and changing what armor everyone wears in it).

I won't get into what new content I'd want but there's a metric ton of improvements to how user friendly the game could be.
Not that I disagree with any of your points, but you do know that you can just turn off pretty much everything in the HUD?

With that out of the way, if XCX gets ported to Switch, what are some improvements you guys want to see?
Dating sim elements, my avatar needs to be able to kiss Hope
"Wir Fliegen" not interrupting the battle themes for major boss fights and "Don't Worry" only starting to play once you get high enough off the ground are some big ones.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey so uh

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Another datamine suggests we’ll get more than one season... or even just more DLC characters in general. I’m even more hopeful Elma will be in there somewhere, even if we have to wait a while...

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Well this matches up...it could be future proofing, however, or multiple model-changing costumes a la Koopalings for someone like DQ Hero. Interesting stuff.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Hey so uh

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Another datamine suggests we’ll get more than one season... or even just more DLC characters in general. I’m even more hopeful Elma will be in there somewhere, even if we have to wait a while...
Didn't a related datamine show that there were, like, thirty empty character files, or something like that?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Didn't a related datamine show that there were, like, thirty empty character files, or something like that?
Correct. As said above, each major alt costume (Koopalings as an example) takes up one of these slots, and it could also be future-proofing just in case they do announce a season 2. There's a lot this could mean, which is neat, and it's cool to have some extra info there.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Correct. As said above, each major alt costume (Koopalings as an example) takes up one of these slots, and it could also be future-proofing just in case they do announce a season 2. There's a lot this could mean, which is neat, and it's cool to have some extra info there.
Just for information, do costumes like Cloud, Tube Piranha Plant and Bayonetta 1 look count too or only different characters took more than 1 spot?

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
This makes sense. So...maybe only 3/5 will be 3rd party? I don't see them putting in more than one lesser known character so here's hoping it's Elma to promote a XCX port.

I'm still choosing to believe that Nintendo picked the characters with Sakurai's input around the time he did Ultimate's original project plan or maybe a bit later. His wording on Rex being a Mii Fighter costume made it sound like Rex would've been a character, but his game came out too late even for the DLC. That more or less means characters originating from games not revealed before 2017 have little chance of being part of this Fighter Pass. Maybe a Three Houses character has a SLIGHT chance since it's been in development for a long time and it's not real-time combat so making up moves is easier, but after Robin, Lucina, Roy, Corrin and Chrom, I hope they don't add another FE character this soon (unless maybe that character is as unique/interesting as Corrin which a generic sword/axe/magic user isn't). Nintendo has already advertised Three Houses a lot and I think adding a character from that game wouldn't result in as much of a difference in sales as if they added a character from a different series...
The only recent character that imo still has shot is a Gen 8 pokemon rep, because Gen 8 has been in development for a while now and Pokemon in general is a rule breaker, so I could easily see this being the DLC character that will be revealed in the fall as a co-promotion for Gen 8

The E3 Reveal and the Final reveal are imo going to be 3rd parties (like Ryu and Bayonetta where), while Brave's Identity(Erdrick imo) most likely will be revealed next month

D

Deleted member

I wish I could play X.

Sadly, I don't have enough memory on my Wii U for the required downloads and I still need to stop being bad at the first Xenoblade.

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
The only recent character that imo still has shot is a Gen 8 pokemon rep, because Gen 8 has been in development for a while now and Pokemon in general is a rule breaker, so I could easily see this being the DLC character that will be revealed in the fall as a co-promotion for Gen 8

The E3 Reveal and the Final reveal are imo going to be 3rd parties (like Ryu and Bayonetta where), while Brave's Identity(Erdrick imo) most likely will be revealed next month
I swear if the entire dlc line up is 3rd party I'm gonna lose all faith in in Smash Bros DLC. I want more exclusive characters Gen 8 pokemon would be disappointing as well since we already have a pokemon rep and we dont know what other character
I wish I could play X.

Sadly, I don't have enough memory on my Wii U for the required downloads and I still need to stop being bad at the first Xenoblade.
That's why I think XCX will get ported, since it takes a bit to get the optimal gameplay (game is around 28 gigs plus a couple for the download patch to improve load time.) XCX is very different from XC 1. I think getting a strong kit for XCX is easier to do.

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
There are plenty of spirits on the WoL map that are obscure as all heck, cared for by only a small handful of people, and are acknowledged nonetheless. Why should they single out X, of all games, to not represent at all? It did reasonably well for a Wii U game. And even if Sakurai and his team cared for fan reception of games (which, considering all the Other M content, they don't), people are blowing the supposed negative reception to X waaay out of proportion these days. There just is no good reason why the X Spirits should be excluded from WoL.
It's possible they wanted to keep all the lesser known spirits from the more obscure series because those series only had 1 or 2 spirits, but with the entire main party of XC1 and XC2, that's already around 10 spirits in the "Xenoblade Series", which maybe they thought was enough. (I know there were something like 20+ FE spirits in WoL, but Sakurai's team seems to have a huge bias towards FE and the numbered Xenoblade games.) It also could be because WoL overall had a more fantasy theme and they felt none of the settings particularly fit X spirits more than others. I'm sort of making up arguments for what could've happened under the assumption the X spirits weren't late additions, I actually like your argument more. I won't be surprised if the X spirits were last minute additions...

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Still wonder what the toy mech Sakurai purchased was for...I doubt it was for the Custom Robo Mii costume

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Still wonder what the toy mech Sakurai purchased was for...I doubt it was for the Custom Robo Mii costume
Which begs the question: did Sakurai have access to an early build of Daemon X Machina before it was revealed at E3 last year? It could be an Outer + Arsenal character.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Interesting. But even with this potentially increased chance, I'd rather have Elma revealed/added to the roster sooner rather than later. I know that that is probably pretty much everyone's opinion around here. But I personally would also like this since it'd undo some of the sour taste that 2 has left in my mouth.
But hey, at least some of our arguments, such as Caitlyn (I can never remember how to properly spell her first name) Glass' NDA role point towards it happening sooner.

It's possible they wanted to keep all the lesser known spirits from the more obscure series because those series only had 1 or 2 spirits, but with the entire main party of XC1 and XC2, that's already around 10 spirits in the "Xenoblade Series", which maybe they thought was enough. (I know there were something like 20+ FE spirits in WoL, but Sakurai's team seems to have a huge bias towards FE and the numbered Xenoblade games.) It also could be because WoL overall had a more fantasy theme and they felt none of the settings particularly fit X spirits more than others. I'm sort of making up arguments for what could've happened under the assumption the X spirits weren't late additions, I actually like your argument more. I won't be surprised if the X spirits were last minute additions...
They also had a decently large number of party members from Golden Sun placed on the WoL map, when just Isaac, Felix and Matthew would already have sufficed. The obscurity of party members from a relatively lesser-known seems hardly like a hindrance.
As for the theme, claiming that WoL has generally a fantasy theme is a really shallow reading. There were plenty of contemporary non-fantasy areas on the map, such as the various towns, as well as sci-fi-like areas, such as the base where you fight Galleom or the space section with Geno at the end. Beyond that, plenty of Spirits are placed in locations that thematically don't really make that much sense.
And really, trying to come up with hypothetical counter-points is fine and all, but we're slowly getting to a point where these mental gymnastics are just silly. Between the lack of presence in WoL, the lack of music and the omission in the internal listing, it really seems just a lot more likely that any X content was added last-minute.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Some of you are confusing the WOL ids and the one with the 30 empty files for the CSS.

The WOL ids only count the character themselves and do not include alts (is it even possible to change alts in WOL?). The ones you guys are referring to are the files that are used for the CSS, which do use those files in order to select different alternates costumes.

It’s still most likely future proofing, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they still intend to go past the first 5 DLC fighters.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So regarding the possibility of another Smash Direct - anyone else feel like they might announce anything at this official Smash tournament thing, the finals of which are taking place on the 30th? With the 8/8 Direct being announced at EVO, it wouldn't feel too ou there to me at least.

Some of you are confusing the WOL ids and the one with the 30 empty files for the CSS.

The WOL ids only count the character themselves and do not include alts (is it even possible to change alts in WOL?). The ones you guys are referring to are the files that are used for the CSS, which do use those files in order to select different alternates costumes.

It’s still most likely future proofing, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they still intend to go past the first 5 DLC fighters.
Well, let's be fair: The exact workings of this stuff are kinda confusing. I'm still not really sure what counts for an alt that has its own slot thing and what doesn't.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I could see them announcing Smash news (or the announcement of an announcement) at the tournament but my question would be how much news would they have that would justify another direct? Unless they're revealing two more fighters and a bunch of modes or something else big I don't see why they would need anything more than a Joker gameplay trailer and a release date.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I could see them announcing Smash news (or the announcement of an announcement) at the tournament but my question would be how much news would they have that would justify another direct? Unless they're revealing two more fighters and a bunch of modes or something else big I don't see why they would need anything more than a Joker gameplay trailer and a release date.
Eh, let's not forget that the final Smash 4 Direct essentially was just two character trailers, explanations for both character's movesets, and almost nothing else. If they announce another fighter along with a gameplay trailer of joker, that'd already be enough. Not to mention that datamines already imply that we're getting Homerun-Contest and Stage Builder in the next update.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Eh, let's not forget that the final Smash 4 Direct essentially was just two character trailers, explanations for both character's movesets, and almost nothing else. If they announce another fighter along with a gameplay trailer of joker, that'd already be enough. Not to mention that datamines already imply that we're getting Homerun-Contest and Stage Builder in the next update.
Yeah. TBH a Joker trailer plus moveset analysis, his stage's overview, details about Stage Builder and Home Run Contest, maybe more about some additional Mii Fighter costumes and Persona Spirits seems enough content for a Direct presentation.
I'm starting to wonder if we will see the next DLC character in this presentation or if they would wait until E3 for it, and have it release shortly after its announcment.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Well we've got a nindies direct tomorrow. What games do you guys want to see see?
I would like to see a new Shantae, as well as solid release dates for Bloodstained and A Hat in Time, but I've learned that in these Nindies showcase they rarely feature these high-profile indie games, so I'm not really expecting anything TBH.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Well we've got a nindies direct tomorrow. What games do you guys want to see see?
I hope Gang Beasts is announced for Switch! That game looked so hilarious!

Also, I’d love to see stuff like Duck Game. Just goofy-looking fighting games like that in general.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I just wanna see something cool-looking and maybe a Sayonara Wild Hearts release. Last time we had a Nindies direct my friend and I discovered YIIK which...is a very not-good game but has provided us with hours of laughs and entertainment because of how wild and weird it is.

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
I'm hoping for a slay the spire release date, AHIT release date, never before news on DD2 and hollow knight SS. I also think we'll get some news on the Travis Strikes Again DLC and hopfully the untitled goose game will get a name.

I'm gonna do some recon on the different studios that announce games to see if any of them would "love to bring their game to the switch, but its unlikely given the circumstances right now." Just to improve our chance of Takahashi lying about the XCX port.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So...that Crypt of the Necrodancer X Legend of Zelda game...

Anyone else think the narrator/Cadence sounds suspiciously like Elma...?

Kinda hoping that wasn’t the NDA role lol

KatKit

Smash Lord
Sayonara Wild Hearts, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, and Crypt of the Legend of the Necro-Zelda were all mentioned on this page. At first you had my curiosity, but now...

But seriously, I appreciate this fandom.

More on topic, anyone else check the main page on this website every so often to look for updates? I probably check like once a week. I feel like something is coming soon, IDK.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
AY

I FINALLY BEAT ELMA REDUX YESTERDAY BEFORE REACHING THE POST GAME! I was only on chapter 8 and it only took 27 minutes!!!

And the first thing I did was beat the crap out of Territorial Rotbart...to Uncontrollable. And I won. :awesome:

I want Elma in Smash even more now

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
So I found out that dark wood wasn't planned for console release (though the source of the info was its FAQ page which was copywrited back in 2015 so it's pretty outdated.)
Most of these games dont seem to have that big of traction since some of them were just announced on the direct and the studios have little to no history in gaming. All in all, I just hope E3 delivers on multiple fronts in gaming and bringing the last few Wii U games to the Switch. I have high Hope's for E3.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Aside from the obvious Xenoblade Chronicles X, which other Wii U ports would you like to see?

For me, it’s The Wonderful 101 (which may be a feat and a half), Tokyo Mirage Sessions (I LIKED IT SHUT UP.), Fatal Frame V, Pikmin 3, and WW HD & TP HD for Switch

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Aside from the obvious Xenoblade Chronicles X, which other Wii U ports would you like to see?

For me, it’s The Wonderful 101 (which may be a feat and a half), Tokyo Mirage Sessions (I LIKED IT SHUT UP.), Fatal Frame V, Pikmin 3, and WW HD & TP HD for Switch
Wonderful 101 for sure, and... honestly I can't think of anything except what you've mentioned. Super Mario Maker was my big one until they revealed they were making the sequel.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Think you hit the nail on the head right there.

Honestly, I feel like X would be a bigger undertaking than Wonderful 101. Wonderful 101 can be played entirely on the gamepad or TV they just put a little PiP in the corner instead of transferring to the gamepad. Can't remember how it was done in X though. Never really played that game in handheld. The other games are easy fixes.

Edit: Except maybe TMS. Missed out on that one so I have no idea.

Last edited:

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice

Honestly, I feel like X would be a bigger undertaking than Wonderful 101. Wonderful 101 can be played entirely on the gamepad or TV they just put a little PiP in the corner instead of transferring to the gamepad. Can't remember how it was done in X though. Never really played that game in handheld. The other games are easy fixes.

That is personally why I want XCX to be ported, I want them to have improved on making their user interface more user friendly. If they fix most of the issues with the game its be amazing and will get more people open to XCX2.
For TMS I'm trying to figure out how they would make the phone system work. I think that game could be left on the Wii U, even though I enjoyed it.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

I've played a good chunk of X in Off Tv Mode, and it worked fine. In order to access the map you pressed -, which was the button for going into regular mode to handheld mode, but it was so quick that it worked great just as a sub menu, so they could litterally put that on a button.
The biggest problem for X in Off Tv Move was that the text was almost unreadable, but that was also because the Gamepad' screen wasn't the best.

Anyway, my biggest wish for a port besides X is W101, that game was great.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman

They should also play Wir Fliegen in full instead of a minute of it. Or play the later parts of it after reaching a higher number on the counter.

Top Bottom